|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What member of Tesman's family has passed away at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Aunt Julle.
(b) Mr. Brack.
(c) Aunt Rina.
2. Who arrives with news of Lovborg's attempted suicide?
(a) Mr. Brack.
(b) Mrs. Elvsted.
(d) Aunt Julle.
3. Why was Lovborg arrested?
(a) He jay-walked.
(b) He accused an ex-lover of stealing his manuscript.
(c) He littered.
(d) He killed Mr. Brack with Hedda's pistol.
4. Why has Solness kept Kaja employed?
(a) He made a promise to her father that he would take care of her.
(b) She is excellent at her job and he could ask for no one better.
(c) He is in love with her and wants to marry her.
(d) He wants to keep Ragnar under his thumb.
5. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
(a) She tells him she burned it to ensure his job at the university.
(b) She tells him she burned it because she hates Lovborg.
(c) She tells him she burned it because she got cold.
(d) She tells him she burned it because Mrs. Elvsted insisted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
2. Who, probably, actually is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
3. What is the most important element to Aline in her life?
4. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
5. Who arrives unexpectedly to stay with Mr. and Mrs. Solness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
2. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
3. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
4. Why has Hilde sought Solness out?
5. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
6. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
7. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
8. What imminent threat does Tesman face now that Lovborg has a successful book?
9. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
10. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)