|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What possession does Aunt Julle return to Tesman?
(a) She returns his cane.
(b) She returns his bookcase.
(c) She returns his slippers.
(d) She returns his top hat.
2. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
(a) She tells him she burned it to ensure his job at the university.
(b) She tells him she burned it because she got cold.
(c) She tells him she burned it because she hates Lovborg.
(d) She tells him she burned it because Mrs. Elvsted insisted.
3. What are Hedda's feelings about Lovborg's suicide?
(a) She thinks it is a courageous act.
(b) She doesn't care one way or another.
(c) She thinks it is horrible.
(d) She thinks it is terribly sad.
4. What is Solness paranoid really happened to the house?
(a) He is afraid Aline set it aflame.
(b) He is afraid he willed its destruction.
(c) He is afraid Ragnar destroyed it on purpose.
(d) He is afraid God did not want him to have the house.
5. How does Solness suspect he may be controlling his own life?
(a) He suspects he may be willing things to happen.
(b) He suspects he may be spending all his money.
(c) He suspects he may be obsessive-compulsive.
(d) He suspects God is angry with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
2. By the end of Act 4, what has Hedda lost?
3. What member of Tesman's family has passed away at the beginning of Act 4?
4. Who assisted Ejlert Lovborg with his project?
5. How did Lovborg really die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
2. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
3. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
4. Why does Hedda refrain from visiting Aunt Rina?
5. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
6. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
7. Why has Hilde sought Solness out?
8. What are the factors that, combined, mean such despair for Hedda that she must end her life?
9. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
10. How does Hedda initially react to the news of Lovborg's suicide?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)