|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Solness paranoid really happened to the house?
(a) He is afraid God did not want him to have the house.
(b) He is afraid Aline set it aflame.
(c) He is afraid he willed its destruction.
(d) He is afraid Ragnar destroyed it on purpose.
2. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
(a) They are each in love with Mrs. Elvsted.
(b) They are up for the same job at the university.
(c) They are running the same race for the fair.
(d) They are building houses across the street from each other.
3. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
(a) She calls her by the wrong name.
(b) She does not offer her something to drink.
(c) She forgets to invite her to sit.
(d) She does not ask about the children.
4. How is Hedda described in the stage directions?
(a) A rough person of swarthy complexion.
(b) A frivolous blond with mounds of curls.
(c) An aristocratic figure with steel-gray eyes.
(d) A fading beauty of advancing years.
5. With what has Ejlert Lovborg recently had success?
(a) He opened a chain of grocery stores.
(b) He composed a large concerto.
(c) He has written a well-received book.
(d) He built a beautiful mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important element to Aline in her life?
2. What member of Tesman's family has passed away at the beginning of Act 4?
3. Which of the assistants was once the Master Builder?
4. With what type of person is Solness prone to having relationships?
5. What was Hedda's father's career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
2. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
3. Why has Hilde sought Solness out?
4. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
5. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
6. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
7. What imminent threat does Tesman face now that Lovborg has a successful book?
8. What are the factors that, combined, mean such despair for Hedda that she must end her life?
9. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
10. What are the implications to Hedda of Brack knowing Lovborg died by one of her pistols?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)