|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hilde's main memory of Solness?
(a) She remembers him climbing the tower.
(b) She remembers him singing.
(c) She remembers him hammering the wall.
(d) She remembers him dancing at a party.
2. How does Hedda describe her vacation?
(a) She thought it was horribly tedious.
(b) She thought it was the most interesting experience.
(c) She thought it was so exciting.
(d) She was completely exhausted by the trip.
3. What possession of Hedda's does she want to keep, despite the fact that it doesn't match their home?
(a) Her piano.
(b) Her study desk.
(c) Her wardrobe.
(d) Her hip bath.
4. What excuse does Hedda give about her former relationship with Lovborg?
(a) She claims her father meant for them to be together.
(b) She claims her love for Ejlert could not be contained.
(c) She claims she was a sheltered young girl curious about the world.
(d) She claims he took complete and unsolicited advantage of her.
5. What member of Tesman's family has passed away at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Aunt Rina.
(b) Mr. Brack.
(d) Aunt Julle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ragnar want to marry?
2. Who, probably, actually is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
3. Why is Aline worried about his declaration?
4. What does Ragnar request of Solness just before Brovik's death?
5. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
2. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
3. What does Mr. Brack hint will soon keep Hedda busy, fulfilling her life and abating her incurable boredom?
4. What are the factors that, combined, mean such despair for Hedda that she must end her life?
5. Why has Hilde sought Solness out?
6. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
7. What imminent threat does Tesman face now that Lovborg has a successful book?
8. How does Hedda initially react to the news of Lovborg's suicide?
9. What are the implications to Hedda of Brack knowing Lovborg died by one of her pistols?
10. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)