|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Solness promised Hilde?
(a) He has promised her a new dog and horse.
(b) He has promised her money for an education.
(c) He has promised she can be the princess in his tower.
(d) He has promised her a new house of her very own.
2. How does Mr. Brack attempt to blackmail Hedda?
(a) He will tell Mrs. Elvsted that Hedda had a relationship with Lovborg.
(b) He will tell Tesman that they are having an affair.
(c) He will tell Aunt Julle that Hedda killed Aunt Rina.
(d) He will let the word get out that Lovborg had her pistol.
3. How did Lovborg really die?
(a) He shot himself in the head in his home.
(b) He was hit by a car.
(c) He jumped off a cliff and scattered his manuscript to the winds.
(d) He was shot in the stomach attempting to regain his manuscript.
4. Why has Hilde come?
(a) She is in love with Ragnar.
(b) She misses Aline, who is her very good friend.
(c) She is responding to an advertisement for a job.
(d) She remembers a promise Solness made to her ten years ago.
5. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
(a) Ejlert Lovborg.
(c) Mr. Brack.
(d) Mrs. Elvsted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Solness finally agree to give Ragnar a kind word about his work?
2. With what has Ejlert Lovborg recently had success?
3. Who does Tesman think is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
4. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
5. Why is Aline worried about his declaration?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hedda initially react to the news of Lovborg's suicide?
2. What are the factors that, combined, mean such despair for Hedda that she must end her life?
3. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
4. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
5. What are the implications to Hedda of Brack knowing Lovborg died by one of her pistols?
6. Why does Hedda refrain from visiting Aunt Rina?
7. What is Ragnar's ambition?
8. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
9. How does Hedda end up with Lovborg's manuscript?
10. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)