|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new responsibility of Hedda's does Mr. Brack refer to?
(a) He refers to her new horse.
(b) He refers to her caring for Aunt Rina.
(c) He refers to her alleged pregnancy.
(d) He refers to her new job.
2. How is Hedda described in the stage directions?
(a) A frivolous blond with mounds of curls.
(b) A rough person of swarthy complexion.
(c) An aristocratic figure with steel-gray eyes.
(d) A fading beauty of advancing years.
3. What does Solness hope will help repair the relationship between him and Aline?
(a) His gift of jewelry.
(b) The new house.
(c) The children.
4. What does Solness plan to hang from the tower of his new home?
(a) A wreath.
(b) A sign.
(c) A curtain.
(d) A flag.
5. With what has Ejlert Lovborg recently had success?
(a) He composed a large concerto.
(b) He opened a chain of grocery stores.
(c) He has written a well-received book.
(d) He built a beautiful mansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
2. What has Solness promised Hilde?
3. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
4. What excuse does Hedda give about her former relationship with Lovborg?
5. With whom does Tesman entrust Lovborg's manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the implications to Hedda of Brack knowing Lovborg died by one of her pistols?
2. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
3. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
4. What are the factors that, combined, mean such despair for Hedda that she must end her life?
5. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
6. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
7. What imminent threat does Tesman face now that Lovborg has a successful book?
8. What does Mr. Brack hint will soon keep Hedda busy, fulfilling her life and abating her incurable boredom?
9. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
10. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)