|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Alving credit with her intellectual awakening?
(a) She credits Mr. Alving, whose morality and generosity she always envied.
(b) She credits Pastor Manders, whose advice forced her to reexamine the system.
(c) She credits Oswald, whose zest for art has been her saving grace.
(d) She credits Regine, whose love for her son warms her heart.
2. To what does Nora compare her and Torvald's life?
(a) She compares their lives to the bank.
(b) She compares their marriage and home to a doll house.
(c) She compares their lives to Dr. Rank's death.
(d) She compares their marriage and home to Krogstad's tragedy.
3. What event is Dr. Rank very frank about with Nora?
(a) He is very frank about his money.
(b) He is casual about his impending death.
(c) He is very frank about his love for Mrs. Rank.
(d) He is casual about his former lover.
4. What happens to the orphanage at the end of Act 2?
(a) The orphanage is blown over by wind.
(b) The orphanage catches fire and burns down.
(c) The orphanage is painted and vandalized.
(d) The orphanage is flooded by the rain.
5. What is Nora carrying as she enters Act 1?
(a) She is carrying Christmas gifts.
(b) She is carrying a letter.
(c) She is carrying one of the children.
(d) She is carrying embroidery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What costumes does Dr. Rank suggest for himself and Nora at the next party?
2. Why does Pastor Manders like Engstrand?
3. In the past year, what did Nora do two weeks before Christmas?
4. Why does Nora leave Torvald?
5. What disease does Dr. Rank have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora outwardly hope for at the end of Act 2, and what does she inwardly fear?
2. How does Torvald react when Krogstad returns the IOU?
3. Why did Mrs. Alving keep Captain Alving's life of debauchery a secret?
4. Why does Torvald think Nora is putting in a good word for Krogstad?
5. What is Oswald's first inkling that perhaps his father was not as virtuous as he thought?
6. Who goaded Mrs. Alving into her free-thinking ways?
7. Why does Nora decline asking her favor from Dr. Rank?
8. When is the first instance that Mrs. Alving sees "ghosts"?
9. Why does Krogstad agree to withdraw his letter to Torvald?
10. What deed does Oswald ask his mother to do for him, should circumstances necessitate?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)