|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Helmers excited for the new year?
(a) Dr. Rank is getting married.
(b) Nora has gotten a new job.
(c) Nora is giving birth to another child.
(d) Torvald has gotten a promotion and a raise.
2. How long does Nora plan to wait to tell Torvald about the borrowing?
(a) Until he is not as in love with her.
(b) Until she has paid off the interest.
(c) Until he discovers the receipts.
(d) Until she has paid it all back.
3. What is the significance of the orphanage's unveiling ceremony?
(a) It is the tenth anniversary of Mr. Alving's death.
(b) It is Mr. Alving's birthday.
(c) It is Mrs. Alving's birthday.
(d) It is the tenth anniversary of Oswald's death.
4. To what does Nora compare her and Torvald's life?
(a) She compares their marriage and home to a doll house.
(b) She compares their lives to the bank.
(c) She compares their lives to Dr. Rank's death.
(d) She compares their marriage and home to Krogstad's tragedy.
5. What excuse does Mrs. Alving give for Mr. Alving's behavior?
(a) He suffered from depression much of the time.
(b) He has a disease, just like Oswald, and did not know what he did.
(c) He had a great joy of living, and life in the small town took its toll on him.
(d) His love for Mrs. Alving outshone even his moral scruples.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suggestion does Torvald give Mrs. Linde?
2. Whose assistance will Oswald need if his illness progresses?
3. What is Oswald's illness?
4. What does Kristine propose between she and Krogstad?
5. Who is Oswald convinced would help him kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Johanna tell Engstrand about her "situation"?
2. Why did Mrs. Alving keep Captain Alving's life of debauchery a secret?
3. What does Engstrand want Regine to do at the beginning of the act?
4. What was Mrs. Alving's marriage to the Captain really like, despite Pastor Mander's perceptions?
5. How does Torvald react to Krogstad's first letter?
6. Why doesn't the Pastor want Mrs. Alving to insure the orphanage?
7. How is Nora's dance costume symbolic of her life and marriage?
8. What is the difference in opinion between Torvald and Nora about borrowing money?
9. How does Torvald react when Krogstad returns the IOU?
10. When is the first instance that Mrs. Alving sees "ghosts"?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)