|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the orphanage at the end of Act 2?
(a) The orphanage is flooded by the rain.
(b) The orphanage is blown over by wind.
(c) The orphanage catches fire and burns down.
(d) The orphanage is painted and vandalized.
2. Who does Torvald blame for Nora's fall from grace?
(a) He blames Dr. Rank.
(b) He blames her father.
(c) He blames Mrs. Linde.
(d) He blames Krogstad.
3. Why did the Pastor stay away from Helene and Mr. Alving for so many years?
(a) He was concerned that the trip to the country would be bad for his health.
(b) Mrs. Alving was ill with a contagion and he was afraid to come.
(c) He was concerned Helene's episode as runaway wife would affect his reputation.
(d) Mr. Alving despised him and would not allow him in the house.
4. What is Nora carrying as she enters Act 1?
(a) She is carrying embroidery.
(b) She is carrying one of the children.
(c) She is carrying a letter.
(d) She is carrying Christmas gifts.
5. How much did the trip cost?
(a) One million dollars.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) Twelve hundred dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Rank think will replace him in the Helmer house?
2. How is Engstrand related to Regine?
3. What did the doctor say to Oswald?
4. What childhood memory does Oswald share about his father?
5. What item of her costume does Nora show Dr. Rank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hedda burn the manuscript?
2. Why does Hilde impulsively decide to leave?
3. Why doesn't the Pastor want Mrs. Alving to insure the orphanage?
4. Why doesn't Dr. Rank want Torvald to visit him in his illness?
5. What deed does Oswald ask his mother to do for him, should circumstances necessitate?
6. What is Oswald's first inkling that perhaps his father was not as virtuous as he thought?
7. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
8. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
9. How is Nora afraid that her lies will affect the household?
10. What is ironic about Pastor Manders accidentally burning down the orphanage?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)