|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of man was Mr. Alving?
(a) He was a distant, solemn man who rarely spoke or entertained.
(b) He was a debauched drunk and indiscreet cheater.
(c) He was a sainted man who never touched alcohol.
(d) He was a jolly fellow with many friends who always visited.
2. What is Nora's reputation among her friends and family?
(a) A frivolous, silly woman.
(b) A serious-minded scholar.
(c) A weepy, brittle sensitive.
(d) A catty, cruel witch.
3. What important piece of biological information does Mrs. Alving reveal to Regine and Oswald?
(a) They are, in fact, half brother and half sister.
(b) Regine is Mrs. Alving's biological daughter.
(c) She is not Oswald's biological mother.
(d) They are actually betrothed, and have been since birth.
4. To what animal does Torvald often compare Nora?
(a) He compares her to a lion.
(b) He compares her to dolphin.
(c) He compares her to a songbird.
(d) He compares her to a raccoon.
5. Why are the Helmers excited for the new year?
(a) Nora has gotten a new job.
(b) Torvald has gotten a promotion and a raise.
(c) Nora is giving birth to another child.
(d) Dr. Rank is getting married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora hint at at the end of Act 2?
2. Whose assistance will Oswald need if his illness progresses?
3. What did the doctor say to Oswald?
4. What story does Engstrand tell about Regine's parentage?
5. Why is the Pastor hesitant about getting the orphanage insured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Pastor Manders accidentally burning down the orphanage?
2. Why does Torvald think Nora is putting in a good word for Krogstad?
3. How does Krogstad attempt to blackmail Nora?
4. What has Torvald refused to sacrifice for Nora?
5. How is Nora's transformation symbolized in her costume?
6. How does Torvald react when Krogstad returns the IOU?
7. Why does Krogstad agree to withdraw his letter to Torvald?
8. When is the first instance that Mrs. Alving sees "ghosts"?
9. What is Oswald's first inkling that perhaps his father was not as virtuous as he thought?
10. What problems does Pastor Manders have with Oswald's perception of marriage?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)