|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted about the manuscript?
(a) He tells her it has been bought by a publishing company.
(b) He tells her he lost it and begs her forgiveness.
(c) He tells her Hedda has stolen it.
(d) He tells her he was disgusted with it and destroyed it.
2. What are Hedda's feelings about Lovborg's suicide?
(a) She thinks it is a courageous act.
(b) She doesn't care one way or another.
(c) She thinks it is terribly sad.
(d) She thinks it is horrible.
3. How does Hedda die?
(a) She dies of a carriage accident.
(b) She dies of a heart attack.
(c) She dies by jumping off a cliff.
(d) She dies of a self-inflicted shot to the temple.
4. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
(a) She forgets to invite her to sit.
(b) She does not offer her something to drink.
(c) She does not ask about the children.
(d) She calls her by the wrong name.
5. What gift does Hedda give Mr. Lovborg?
(a) His manuscript.
(b) A photograph.
(c) An embroidery.
(d) A pistol.
6. What object(s) does Hedda keep imagining in Lovborg's hair?
(a) Vine leaves.
(c) A straw hat.
7. What does Solness plan to hang from the tower of his new home?
(a) A flag.
(b) A wreath.
(c) A curtain.
(d) A sign.
8. Which of the Master Builder's assistants is in love with him?
9. What is Hilde's main memory of Solness?
(a) She remembers him singing.
(b) She remembers him dancing at a party.
(c) She remembers him climbing the tower.
(d) She remembers him hammering the wall.
10. Why does Hedda goad Lovborg into going to the party?
(a) She is seeking revenge on Aunt Julle.
(b) She longs for an evening alone with Mrs. Elvsted.
(c) She plans to meet him in secret later.
(d) She wants to feel in control of someone's destiny.
11. What is the most important element to Aline in her life?
(a) She must always be on time.
(b) She must always take care of the children.
(c) She must always perform her duty.
(d) She must always cook immaculately.
12. Why does Solness finally agree to give Ragnar a kind word about his work?
(a) Hilde threatens him with a pistol.
(b) Aline threatens to kill herself.
(c) Hilde threatens that she will no longer believe he is a good man.
(d) Kaja threatens to leave him forever.
13. Why has Solness kept Kaja employed?
(a) He is in love with her and wants to marry her.
(b) He made a promise to her father that he would take care of her.
(c) She is excellent at her job and he could ask for no one better.
(d) He wants to keep Ragnar under his thumb.
14. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
(a) She compares it to a guitar.
(b) She compares it to a child.
(c) She compares it to a meal.
(d) She compares it to a horse.
15. What has Solness promised Hilde?
(a) He has promised she can be the princess in his tower.
(b) He has promised her money for an education.
(c) He has promised her a new house of her very own.
(d) He has promised her a new dog and horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new responsibility of Hedda's does Mr. Brack refer to?
2. What month of the year is it upon Hedda and Jorgen's return?
3. What children did Solness and Aline have?
4. How does Hedda describe her vacation?
5. Why did Hedda marry Tesman?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)