|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the Master Builder's assistants is in love with him?
2. Where does Tesman request for Mrs. Elvsted to take up residence?
(a) In his own home.
(b) At Aunt Julle's house.
(c) Back at her home in the country.
(d) In town, by the singer's house.
3. Who arrives unexpectedly to stay with Mr. and Mrs. Solness?
(a) Dr. Rank.
(b) Hedda Gabler.
(d) Hilde Wangel.
4. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
(a) They are up for the same job at the university.
(b) They are running the same race for the fair.
(c) They are building houses across the street from each other.
(d) They are each in love with Mrs. Elvsted.
5. What member of Tesman's family has passed away at the beginning of Act 4?
(a) Aunt Rina.
(b) Aunt Julle.
(d) Mr. Brack.
6. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
(a) Hedda wants to be completely free of darkness and death.
(b) Hedda is expecting a visit from her father.
(c) Hedda cannot bear to watch her beloved aunt die.
(d) Hedda is too upset to leave the house.
7. What has Solness promised Hilde?
(a) He has promised her a new house of her very own.
(b) He has promised her money for an education.
(c) He has promised she can be the princess in his tower.
(d) He has promised her a new dog and horse.
8. What refreshment does Hedda offer to her guests?
(a) She offers them water and bread.
(b) She offers them tea and cake.
(c) She offers them hot toddies.
(d) She offers them cold punch.
9. What is Hilde's main memory of Solness?
(a) She remembers him hammering the wall.
(b) She remembers him dancing at a party.
(c) She remembers him singing.
(d) She remembers him climbing the tower.
10. Why is Aline worried about his declaration?
(a) She knows heights make him dizzy.
(b) She knows Ragnar has already hung a flag.
(c) She knows Hilde wants to climb up the tower with him.
(d) She knows Kaja has destroyed his wreath.
11. What papers is Solness flipping through?
(a) He is looking at bills.
(b) He is looking at letters from Aline.
(c) He is looking at Ragnar's drawings.
(d) He is looking at old photographs.
12. What will Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted use to reconstruct the manuscript?
(a) They will use Lovborg's recordings.
(b) They will use Tesman's memory of Lovborg's reading.
(c) They will use Lovborg's notes.
(d) They will use Mrs. Elvsted's memory.
13. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
(a) She compares it to a guitar.
(b) She compares it to a meal.
(c) She compares it to a child.
(d) She compares it to a horse.
14. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted about the manuscript?
(a) He tells her Hedda has stolen it.
(b) He tells her he lost it and begs her forgiveness.
(c) He tells her it has been bought by a publishing company.
(d) He tells her he was disgusted with it and destroyed it.
15. What gift does Hedda give Mr. Lovborg?
(a) A pistol.
(b) His manuscript.
(c) A photograph.
(d) An embroidery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object(s) does Hedda keep imagining in Lovborg's hair?
2. What are Hedda's feelings about Lovborg's suicide?
3. What excuse does Hedda give about her former relationship with Lovborg?
4. What does Solness hope will help repair the relationship between him and Aline?
5. Why does Solness finally agree to give Ragnar a kind word about his work?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)