|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hedda finally do with the manuscript?
(a) She gives it back to Tesman.
(b) She claims it as her own and publishes it.
(c) She burns it in the fireplace.
(d) She gives it back to Lovborg.
2. Why was Lovborg arrested?
(a) He littered.
(b) He accused an ex-lover of stealing his manuscript.
(c) He killed Mr. Brack with Hedda's pistol.
(d) He jay-walked.
3. What object(s) does Hedda keep imagining in Lovborg's hair?
(a) A straw hat.
(b) Vine leaves.
4. What are Hedda's feelings about Lovborg's suicide?
(a) She doesn't care one way or another.
(b) She thinks it is terribly sad.
(c) She thinks it is a courageous act.
(d) She thinks it is horrible.
5. Why does Hedda goad Lovborg into going to the party?
(a) She longs for an evening alone with Mrs. Elvsted.
(b) She is seeking revenge on Aunt Julle.
(c) She plans to meet him in secret later.
(d) She wants to feel in control of someone's destiny.
6. What is Lovborg's new book about?
(a) A history of machination.
(b) A medical thesaurus.
(c) The future of civilization.
(d) The future of the wilderness.
7. What news does Tesman's note bring?
(a) His Aunt Rina is close to death.
(b) His Aunt Julle is coming to visit.
(c) His friend Mr. Brack has been killed.
(d) He has been granted the university job.
8. Why has Hilde come?
(a) She is responding to an advertisement for a job.
(b) She is in love with Ragnar.
(c) She misses Aline, who is her very good friend.
(d) She remembers a promise Solness made to her ten years ago.
9. How long was Hedda and Jorgen's honeymoon?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three days.
(d) One year.
10. For what kind of building was Solness constructing the tower many years ago?
(a) For a town hall.
(b) For a shop.
(c) For a home.
(d) For a church.
11. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
(a) Hedda wants to be completely free of darkness and death.
(b) Hedda is too upset to leave the house.
(c) Hedda cannot bear to watch her beloved aunt die.
(d) Hedda is expecting a visit from her father.
12. What happened to the children?
(a) Aline developed a fever that poisoned her breast milk which killed them.
(b) They died in a fire.
(c) They were given to a relative, who still takes care of them.
(d) They were stolen out of their cradles.
13. What does Solness plan to hang from the tower of his new home?
(a) A sign.
(b) A flag.
(c) A wreath.
(d) A curtain.
14. What month of the year is it upon Hedda and Jorgen's return?
(a) It is April.
(b) It is January.
(c) It is September.
(d) It is June.
15. What does Solness hope will help repair the relationship between him and Aline?
(a) The children.
(c) The new house.
(d) His gift of jewelry.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what type of person is Solness prone to having relationships?
2. What destroyed Solness and Aline's original home?
3. By the end of Act 4, what has Hedda lost?
4. Why is Aline worried about his declaration?
5. How does Mr. Brack attempt to blackmail Hedda?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)