|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refreshment does Hedda offer to her guests?
(a) She offers them hot toddies.
(b) She offers them cold punch.
(c) She offers them water and bread.
(d) She offers them tea and cake.
2. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
(b) Ejlert Lovborg.
(c) Mrs. Elvsted.
(d) Mr. Brack.
3. Who does Ragnar want to marry?
4. With what has Ejlert Lovborg recently had success?
(a) He opened a chain of grocery stores.
(b) He built a beautiful mansion.
(c) He composed a large concerto.
(d) He has written a well-received book.
5. How long was Hedda and Jorgen's honeymoon?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Three days.
6. What object(s) does Hedda keep imagining in Lovborg's hair?
(a) A straw hat.
(c) Vine leaves.
7. Why has Solness kept Kaja employed?
(a) He made a promise to her father that he would take care of her.
(b) She is excellent at her job and he could ask for no one better.
(c) He wants to keep Ragnar under his thumb.
(d) He is in love with her and wants to marry her.
8. What does Hedda finally do with the manuscript?
(a) She gives it back to Tesman.
(b) She claims it as her own and publishes it.
(c) She gives it back to Lovborg.
(d) She burns it in the fireplace.
9. Where does Tesman request for Mrs. Elvsted to take up residence?
(a) In town, by the singer's house.
(b) At Aunt Julle's house.
(c) Back at her home in the country.
(d) In his own home.
10. What is Solness paranoid really happened to the house?
(a) He is afraid God did not want him to have the house.
(b) He is afraid he willed its destruction.
(c) He is afraid Ragnar destroyed it on purpose.
(d) He is afraid Aline set it aflame.
11. Why does Lovborg say that Mrs. Elvsted is a good companion?
(a) She has a lovely singing voice.
(b) She is beautiful to look at.
(c) She is extremely intelligent and thoughtful.
(d) She has the courage to act.
12. Why does Hedda goad Lovborg into going to the party?
(a) She plans to meet him in secret later.
(b) She longs for an evening alone with Mrs. Elvsted.
(c) She wants to feel in control of someone's destiny.
(d) She is seeking revenge on Aunt Julle.
13. How does Solness suspect he may be controlling his own life?
(a) He suspects God is angry with him.
(b) He suspects he may be willing things to happen.
(c) He suspects he may be spending all his money.
(d) He suspects he may be obsessive-compulsive.
14. With what type of person is Solness prone to having relationships?
(a) He is prone to relationships with younger women.
(b) He is prone to relationships with very poor women.
(c) He is prone to relationships with very intelligent women.
(d) He is prone to relationships with older women.
15. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
(a) She calls her by the wrong name.
(b) She does not ask about the children.
(c) She forgets to invite her to sit.
(d) She does not offer her something to drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted about the manuscript?
2. What destroyed Solness and Aline's original home?
3. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
4. What is Hilde's main memory of Solness?
5. What possession of Hedda's does she want to keep, despite the fact that it doesn't match their home?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)