|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tesman think is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
(a) Aunt Julle.
(c) The red-haired singer.
(d) Mrs. Elvsted.
2. What is Solness paranoid really happened to the house?
(a) He is afraid Ragnar destroyed it on purpose.
(b) He is afraid God did not want him to have the house.
(c) He is afraid he willed its destruction.
(d) He is afraid Aline set it aflame.
3. With what type of person is Solness prone to having relationships?
(a) He is prone to relationships with older women.
(b) He is prone to relationships with very poor women.
(c) He is prone to relationships with very intelligent women.
(d) He is prone to relationships with younger women.
4. What object(s) does Hedda keep imagining in Lovborg's hair?
(a) A straw hat.
(b) Vine leaves.
5. Where is Mr. Lovborg invited upon his arrival to the Tesmans'?
(a) He is invited to the theatre by Aunt Julle.
(b) He is invited to the back porch by Hedda.
(c) He is invited to Mrs. Elvsted's for tea.
(d) He is invited to Mr. Brack's for a party.
6. Why does Solness finally agree to give Ragnar a kind word about his work?
(a) Hilde threatens that she will no longer believe he is a good man.
(b) Hilde threatens him with a pistol.
(c) Aline threatens to kill herself.
(d) Kaja threatens to leave him forever.
7. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
(a) They are each in love with Mrs. Elvsted.
(b) They are building houses across the street from each other.
(c) They are running the same race for the fair.
(d) They are up for the same job at the university.
8. What excuse does Hedda give about her former relationship with Lovborg?
(a) She claims her love for Ejlert could not be contained.
(b) She claims he took complete and unsolicited advantage of her.
(c) She claims her father meant for them to be together.
(d) She claims she was a sheltered young girl curious about the world.
9. Why did Hedda marry Tesman?
(a) She was desperately in love with him and he with her.
(b) She had an illicit relationship with him and became pregnant.
(c) She was betrothed to him as a small child.
(d) She found him pathetically eager to support her while no one else was.
10. Who, probably, actually is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
(a) Mrs. Elvsted.
(b) The red-haired singer.
(d) Aunt Julle.
11. What does Ragnar request of Solness just before Brovik's death?
(a) He requests money to build his father a coffin.
(b) He requests a kind word about his drawings to share with his father.
(c) He requests a partnership in the company.
(d) He requests the honor of constructing Solness's tower.
12. With whom does Tesman entrust Lovborg's manuscript?
(b) Mrs. Elvsted.
(c) Mr. Brack.
13. Why does Hedda goad Lovborg into going to the party?
(a) She wants to feel in control of someone's destiny.
(b) She plans to meet him in secret later.
(c) She longs for an evening alone with Mrs. Elvsted.
(d) She is seeking revenge on Aunt Julle.
14. What news does Tesman's note bring?
(a) His friend Mr. Brack has been killed.
(b) He has been granted the university job.
(c) His Aunt Rina is close to death.
(d) His Aunt Julle is coming to visit.
15. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
(a) Mr. Brack.
(b) Mrs. Elvsted.
(c) Ejlert Lovborg.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Hedda and Jorgen's honeymoon?
2. Why did Hedda mention she liked the villa?
3. What will Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted use to reconstruct the manuscript?
4. Who arrives unexpectedly to stay with Mr. and Mrs. Solness?
5. How is Hedda described in the stage directions?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)