|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Julle hope will fill her time in the future?
(a) She hopes for a niece or a nephew.
(b) She hopes for a new puppy.
(c) She hopes for a job.
(d) She hopes for a husband.
2. What object(s) does Hedda keep imagining in Lovborg's hair?
(b) A straw hat.
(c) Vine leaves.
3. What excuse does Hedda give about her former relationship with Lovborg?
(a) She claims her love for Ejlert could not be contained.
(b) She claims he took complete and unsolicited advantage of her.
(c) She claims her father meant for them to be together.
(d) She claims she was a sheltered young girl curious about the world.
4. What children did Solness and Aline have?
(a) They had twin boys.
(b) They had one girl.
(c) They had one boy.
(d) They had twin girls.
5. Why did Hedda marry Tesman?
(a) She had an illicit relationship with him and became pregnant.
(b) She was betrothed to him as a small child.
(c) She was desperately in love with him and he with her.
(d) She found him pathetically eager to support her while no one else was.
6. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
(a) They are up for the same job at the university.
(b) They are building houses across the street from each other.
(c) They are running the same race for the fair.
(d) They are each in love with Mrs. Elvsted.
7. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
(a) Hedda is expecting a visit from her father.
(b) Hedda wants to be completely free of darkness and death.
(c) Hedda cannot bear to watch her beloved aunt die.
(d) Hedda is too upset to leave the house.
8. What new responsibility of Hedda's does Mr. Brack refer to?
(a) He refers to her new horse.
(b) He refers to her caring for Aunt Rina.
(c) He refers to her alleged pregnancy.
(d) He refers to her new job.
9. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
(a) She compares it to a meal.
(b) She compares it to a child.
(c) She compares it to a guitar.
(d) She compares it to a horse.
10. How does Mr. Brack attempt to blackmail Hedda?
(a) He will tell Tesman that they are having an affair.
(b) He will tell Aunt Julle that Hedda killed Aunt Rina.
(c) He will let the word get out that Lovborg had her pistol.
(d) He will tell Mrs. Elvsted that Hedda had a relationship with Lovborg.
11. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
(a) She tells him she burned it because she hates Lovborg.
(b) She tells him she burned it to ensure his job at the university.
(c) She tells him she burned it because Mrs. Elvsted insisted.
(d) She tells him she burned it because she got cold.
12. By the end of Act 4, what has Hedda lost?
(a) She has lost her one true love.
(b) She has lost her parasol.
(c) She has lost her hat.
(d) She has lost her freedom.
13. What possession does Aunt Julle return to Tesman?
(a) She returns his top hat.
(b) She returns his slippers.
(c) She returns his cane.
(d) She returns his bookcase.
14. What happened to the children?
(a) Aline developed a fever that poisoned her breast milk which killed them.
(b) They were given to a relative, who still takes care of them.
(c) They were stolen out of their cradles.
(d) They died in a fire.
15. How did Lovborg really die?
(a) He was hit by a car.
(b) He was shot in the stomach attempting to regain his manuscript.
(c) He shot himself in the head in his home.
(d) He jumped off a cliff and scattered his manuscript to the winds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ragnar request of Solness just before Brovik's death?
2. Why does Lovborg say that Mrs. Elvsted is a good companion?
3. Why was Lovborg arrested?
4. What prized possession was passed to Hedda from her father?
5. What has Solness promised Hilde?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)