|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
(a) She compares it to a guitar.
(b) She compares it to a child.
(c) She compares it to a meal.
(d) She compares it to a horse.
2. Who assisted Ejlert Lovborg with his project?
(c) Hedda Gabler.
(d) Mrs. Elvsted.
3. What are Hedda's feelings about Lovborg's suicide?
(a) She thinks it is terribly sad.
(b) She thinks it is horrible.
(c) She thinks it is a courageous act.
(d) She doesn't care one way or another.
4. What does Solness plan to hang from the tower of his new home?
(a) A sign.
(b) A curtain.
(c) A flag.
(d) A wreath.
5. What will Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted use to reconstruct the manuscript?
(a) They will use Lovborg's notes.
(b) They will use Lovborg's recordings.
(c) They will use Tesman's memory of Lovborg's reading.
(d) They will use Mrs. Elvsted's memory.
6. Why was Lovborg arrested?
(a) He accused an ex-lover of stealing his manuscript.
(b) He killed Mr. Brack with Hedda's pistol.
(c) He littered.
(d) He jay-walked.
7. What does Hedda finally do with the manuscript?
(a) She burns it in the fireplace.
(b) She claims it as her own and publishes it.
(c) She gives it back to Tesman.
(d) She gives it back to Lovborg.
8. What new responsibility of Hedda's does Mr. Brack refer to?
(a) He refers to her caring for Aunt Rina.
(b) He refers to her alleged pregnancy.
(c) He refers to her new horse.
(d) He refers to her new job.
9. What is the most important element to Aline in her life?
(a) She must always cook immaculately.
(b) She must always take care of the children.
(c) She must always perform her duty.
(d) She must always be on time.
10. What excuse does Hedda give about her former relationship with Lovborg?
(a) She claims her love for Ejlert could not be contained.
(b) She claims he took complete and unsolicited advantage of her.
(c) She claims her father meant for them to be together.
(d) She claims she was a sheltered young girl curious about the world.
11. By the end of Act 4, what has Hedda lost?
(a) She has lost her freedom.
(b) She has lost her hat.
(c) She has lost her parasol.
(d) She has lost her one true love.
12. What news does Tesman's note bring?
(a) His Aunt Rina is close to death.
(b) He has been granted the university job.
(c) His Aunt Julle is coming to visit.
(d) His friend Mr. Brack has been killed.
13. What is Hilde's main memory of Solness?
(a) She remembers him hammering the wall.
(b) She remembers him climbing the tower.
(c) She remembers him singing.
(d) She remembers him dancing at a party.
14. What object did Aunt Julle purchase to impress Hedda?
(a) She purchased an expensive shawl.
(b) She purchased new shoes.
(c) She purchased a new hat.
(d) She purchased a parasol.
15. With what type of person is Solness prone to having relationships?
(a) He is prone to relationships with very intelligent women.
(b) He is prone to relationships with younger women.
(c) He is prone to relationships with older women.
(d) He is prone to relationships with very poor women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hedda marry Tesman?
2. What papers is Solness flipping through?
3. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
4. What does Solness hope will help repair the relationship between him and Aline?
5. Where does Tesman request for Mrs. Elvsted to take up residence?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)