|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
(a) She tells him she burned it to ensure his job at the university.
(b) She tells him she burned it because she hates Lovborg.
(c) She tells him she burned it because Mrs. Elvsted insisted.
(d) She tells him she burned it because she got cold.
2. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
(a) Hedda is too upset to leave the house.
(b) Hedda wants to be completely free of darkness and death.
(c) Hedda cannot bear to watch her beloved aunt die.
(d) Hedda is expecting a visit from her father.
3. What is Solness paranoid really happened to the house?
(a) He is afraid he willed its destruction.
(b) He is afraid Aline set it aflame.
(c) He is afraid God did not want him to have the house.
(d) He is afraid Ragnar destroyed it on purpose.
4. What excuse does Hedda give about her former relationship with Lovborg?
(a) She claims her father meant for them to be together.
(b) She claims her love for Ejlert could not be contained.
(c) She claims he took complete and unsolicited advantage of her.
(d) She claims she was a sheltered young girl curious about the world.
5. How does Mr. Brack attempt to blackmail Hedda?
(a) He will tell Tesman that they are having an affair.
(b) He will tell Aunt Julle that Hedda killed Aunt Rina.
(c) He will let the word get out that Lovborg had her pistol.
(d) He will tell Mrs. Elvsted that Hedda had a relationship with Lovborg.
6. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
(a) They are up for the same job at the university.
(b) They are each in love with Mrs. Elvsted.
(c) They are running the same race for the fair.
(d) They are building houses across the street from each other.
7. What instrument does Hedda raucously play as Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted try to rewrite the manuscript?
(a) She plays the harpsichord.
(b) She plays the piano.
(c) She plays the oboe.
(d) She plays the guitar.
8. What gift does Hedda give Mr. Lovborg?
(a) A photograph.
(b) An embroidery.
(c) A pistol.
(d) His manuscript.
9. Who does Tesman think is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
(b) Aunt Julle.
(c) The red-haired singer.
(d) Mrs. Elvsted.
10. What new responsibility of Hedda's does Mr. Brack refer to?
(a) He refers to her new horse.
(b) He refers to her alleged pregnancy.
(c) He refers to her caring for Aunt Rina.
(d) He refers to her new job.
11. Which of the assistants was once the Master Builder?
12. What prized possession was passed to Hedda from her father?
(a) His saber.
(b) His pistols.
(c) His fountain pen.
(d) His money clip.
13. How long was Hedda and Jorgen's honeymoon?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three days.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
14. Why did Hedda mention she liked the villa?
(a) She knew it was Tesman's dream house and wanted him to be happy.
(b) She wanted to be near the sea, where the villa stood.
(c) She had admired it ever since childhood.
(d) She mentioned it on a walk with the awkward Tesman because she felt sorry for him.
15. By the end of Act 4, what has Hedda lost?
(a) She has lost her hat.
(b) She has lost her one true love.
(c) She has lost her freedom.
(d) She has lost her parasol.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Julle hope will fill her time in the future?
2. How does Solness suspect he may be controlling his own life?
3. What has Tesman rescued for Lovborg?
4. What possession of Hedda's does she want to keep, despite the fact that it doesn't match their home?
5. Where does Tesman request for Mrs. Elvsted to take up residence?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)