|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
(a) She compares it to a horse.
(b) She compares it to a meal.
(c) She compares it to a child.
(d) She compares it to a guitar.
2. What instrument does Hedda raucously play as Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted try to rewrite the manuscript?
(a) She plays the harpsichord.
(b) She plays the guitar.
(c) She plays the oboe.
(d) She plays the piano.
3. What does Ragnar request of Solness just before Brovik's death?
(a) He requests a partnership in the company.
(b) He requests money to build his father a coffin.
(c) He requests a kind word about his drawings to share with his father.
(d) He requests the honor of constructing Solness's tower.
4. Which of the assistants has ambition of becoming a builder?
5. With what type of person is Solness prone to having relationships?
(a) He is prone to relationships with very poor women.
(b) He is prone to relationships with very intelligent women.
(c) He is prone to relationships with older women.
(d) He is prone to relationships with younger women.
6. How does Solness suspect he may be controlling his own life?
(a) He suspects he may be obsessive-compulsive.
(b) He suspects he may be willing things to happen.
(c) He suspects he may be spending all his money.
(d) He suspects God is angry with him.
7. What does Solness hope will help repair the relationship between him and Aline?
(a) The new house.
(c) The children.
(d) His gift of jewelry.
8. By the end of Act 4, what has Hedda lost?
(a) She has lost her freedom.
(b) She has lost her parasol.
(c) She has lost her hat.
(d) She has lost her one true love.
9. What happened to the children?
(a) Aline developed a fever that poisoned her breast milk which killed them.
(b) They were given to a relative, who still takes care of them.
(c) They died in a fire.
(d) They were stolen out of their cradles.
10. What news does Tesman's note bring?
(a) His Aunt Julle is coming to visit.
(b) His Aunt Rina is close to death.
(c) His friend Mr. Brack has been killed.
(d) He has been granted the university job.
11. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
(a) She does not ask about the children.
(b) She calls her by the wrong name.
(c) She forgets to invite her to sit.
(d) She does not offer her something to drink.
12. Why did Hedda mention she liked the villa?
(a) She knew it was Tesman's dream house and wanted him to be happy.
(b) She mentioned it on a walk with the awkward Tesman because she felt sorry for him.
(c) She had admired it ever since childhood.
(d) She wanted to be near the sea, where the villa stood.
13. What was Hedda's father's career?
(a) He was a general.
(b) He was a clergyman.
(c) He was a teacher.
(d) He was a cobbler.
14. Why has Solness kept Kaja employed?
(a) He made a promise to her father that he would take care of her.
(b) She is excellent at her job and he could ask for no one better.
(c) He wants to keep Ragnar under his thumb.
(d) He is in love with her and wants to marry her.
15. What object did Aunt Julle purchase to impress Hedda?
(a) She purchased a new hat.
(b) She purchased new shoes.
(c) She purchased an expensive shawl.
(d) She purchased a parasol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tesman request for Mrs. Elvsted to take up residence?
2. Why did Hedda marry Tesman?
3. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
4. Why has Hilde come?
5. For what kind of building was Solness constructing the tower many years ago?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)