|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument does Hedda raucously play as Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted try to rewrite the manuscript?
(a) She plays the guitar.
(b) She plays the piano.
(c) She plays the oboe.
(d) She plays the harpsichord.
2. What has Solness promised Hilde?
(a) He has promised her a new house of her very own.
(b) He has promised she can be the princess in his tower.
(c) He has promised her a new dog and horse.
(d) He has promised her money for an education.
3. What happened to the children?
(a) They died in a fire.
(b) They were given to a relative, who still takes care of them.
(c) They were stolen out of their cradles.
(d) Aline developed a fever that poisoned her breast milk which killed them.
4. Why does Lovborg say that Mrs. Elvsted is a good companion?
(a) She has a lovely singing voice.
(b) She is beautiful to look at.
(c) She is extremely intelligent and thoughtful.
(d) She has the courage to act.
5. Who does Tesman think is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
(a) The red-haired singer.
(c) Mrs. Elvsted.
(d) Aunt Julle.
6. How is Hedda described in the stage directions?
(a) A frivolous blond with mounds of curls.
(b) An aristocratic figure with steel-gray eyes.
(c) A fading beauty of advancing years.
(d) A rough person of swarthy complexion.
7. Why does Solness finally agree to give Ragnar a kind word about his work?
(a) Aline threatens to kill herself.
(b) Hilde threatens that she will no longer believe he is a good man.
(c) Kaja threatens to leave him forever.
(d) Hilde threatens him with a pistol.
8. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
(a) She tells him she burned it to ensure his job at the university.
(b) She tells him she burned it because Mrs. Elvsted insisted.
(c) She tells him she burned it because she got cold.
(d) She tells him she burned it because she hates Lovborg.
9. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
(a) She compares it to a meal.
(b) She compares it to a child.
(c) She compares it to a guitar.
(d) She compares it to a horse.
10. How long was Hedda and Jorgen's honeymoon?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
11. What excuse does Hedda give about her former relationship with Lovborg?
(a) She claims her father meant for them to be together.
(b) She claims she was a sheltered young girl curious about the world.
(c) She claims her love for Ejlert could not be contained.
(d) She claims he took complete and unsolicited advantage of her.
12. With what has Ejlert Lovborg recently had success?
(a) He built a beautiful mansion.
(b) He composed a large concerto.
(c) He has written a well-received book.
(d) He opened a chain of grocery stores.
13. How does Solness suspect he may be controlling his own life?
(a) He suspects he may be willing things to happen.
(b) He suspects he may be obsessive-compulsive.
(c) He suspects God is angry with him.
(d) He suspects he may be spending all his money.
14. What does Solness plan to hang from the tower of his new home?
(a) A flag.
(b) A sign.
(c) A curtain.
(d) A wreath.
15. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
(a) She does not offer her something to drink.
(b) She forgets to invite her to sit.
(c) She calls her by the wrong name.
(d) She does not ask about the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What possession does Aunt Julle return to Tesman?
2. What are Hedda's feelings about Lovborg's suicide?
3. Why has Solness kept Kaja employed?
4. What was Hedda's father's career?
5. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)