|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Hedda give about her former relationship with Lovborg?
(a) She claims she was a sheltered young girl curious about the world.
(b) She claims her love for Ejlert could not be contained.
(c) She claims her father meant for them to be together.
(d) She claims he took complete and unsolicited advantage of her.
2. How does Hedda describe her vacation?
(a) She thought it was the most interesting experience.
(b) She thought it was horribly tedious.
(c) She was completely exhausted by the trip.
(d) She thought it was so exciting.
3. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
(a) She tells him she burned it to ensure his job at the university.
(b) She tells him she burned it because Mrs. Elvsted insisted.
(c) She tells him she burned it because she got cold.
(d) She tells him she burned it because she hates Lovborg.
4. To what does Solness compare Hilde upon her entrance?
5. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
(a) Hedda cannot bear to watch her beloved aunt die.
(b) Hedda is expecting a visit from her father.
(c) Hedda is too upset to leave the house.
(d) Hedda wants to be completely free of darkness and death.
6. What is Lovborg's new book about?
(a) A history of machination.
(b) The future of the wilderness.
(c) A medical thesaurus.
(d) The future of civilization.
7. What does Ragnar request of Solness just before Brovik's death?
(a) He requests the honor of constructing Solness's tower.
(b) He requests a partnership in the company.
(c) He requests money to build his father a coffin.
(d) He requests a kind word about his drawings to share with his father.
8. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted about the manuscript?
(a) He tells her it has been bought by a publishing company.
(b) He tells her Hedda has stolen it.
(c) He tells her he was disgusted with it and destroyed it.
(d) He tells her he lost it and begs her forgiveness.
9. What children did Solness and Aline have?
(a) They had one boy.
(b) They had twin girls.
(c) They had one girl.
(d) They had twin boys.
10. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
(a) She does not ask about the children.
(b) She does not offer her something to drink.
(c) She calls her by the wrong name.
(d) She forgets to invite her to sit.
11. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
(a) They are up for the same job at the university.
(b) They are each in love with Mrs. Elvsted.
(c) They are running the same race for the fair.
(d) They are building houses across the street from each other.
12. What month of the year is it upon Hedda and Jorgen's return?
(a) It is June.
(b) It is January.
(c) It is September.
(d) It is April.
13. With whom does Tesman entrust Lovborg's manuscript?
(b) Mrs. Elvsted.
(c) Mr. Brack.
14. What refreshment does Hedda offer to her guests?
(a) She offers them cold punch.
(b) She offers them hot toddies.
(c) She offers them tea and cake.
(d) She offers them water and bread.
15. Who does Ragnar want to marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Solness kept Kaja employed?
2. Who, probably, actually is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
3. Where does Tesman request for Mrs. Elvsted to take up residence?
4. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
5. Why is Aline worried about his declaration?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)