|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hedda mention she liked the villa?
(a) She mentioned it on a walk with the awkward Tesman because she felt sorry for him.
(b) She knew it was Tesman's dream house and wanted him to be happy.
(c) She wanted to be near the sea, where the villa stood.
(d) She had admired it ever since childhood.
2. What happened to the children?
(a) They were stolen out of their cradles.
(b) They were given to a relative, who still takes care of them.
(c) They died in a fire.
(d) Aline developed a fever that poisoned her breast milk which killed them.
3. Why has Hilde come?
(a) She remembers a promise Solness made to her ten years ago.
(b) She is in love with Ragnar.
(c) She misses Aline, who is her very good friend.
(d) She is responding to an advertisement for a job.
4. What is Hilde's main memory of Solness?
(a) She remembers him dancing at a party.
(b) She remembers him singing.
(c) She remembers him climbing the tower.
(d) She remembers him hammering the wall.
5. What is Lovborg's new book about?
(a) The future of civilization.
(b) A history of machination.
(c) The future of the wilderness.
(d) A medical thesaurus.
6. For what kind of building was Solness constructing the tower many years ago?
(a) For a home.
(b) For a church.
(c) For a shop.
(d) For a town hall.
7. What does Mr. Brack suggest to Hedda?
(a) He suggests she divorce Tesman and marry him.
(b) He suggests she repaint the house.
(c) He suggests she shoot Tesman.
(d) He suggests they begin a triangular relationship.
8. Why does Hedda goad Lovborg into going to the party?
(a) She wants to feel in control of someone's destiny.
(b) She plans to meet him in secret later.
(c) She is seeking revenge on Aunt Julle.
(d) She longs for an evening alone with Mrs. Elvsted.
9. How does Hedda die?
(a) She dies of a self-inflicted shot to the temple.
(b) She dies by jumping off a cliff.
(c) She dies of a heart attack.
(d) She dies of a carriage accident.
10. What month of the year is it upon Hedda and Jorgen's return?
(a) It is April.
(b) It is January.
(c) It is September.
(d) It is June.
11. Who does Ragnar want to marry?
12. With whom does Tesman entrust Lovborg's manuscript?
(a) Mrs. Elvsted.
(d) Mr. Brack.
13. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
(a) She does not ask about the children.
(b) She forgets to invite her to sit.
(c) She calls her by the wrong name.
(d) She does not offer her something to drink.
14. What is the most important element to Aline in her life?
(a) She must always perform her duty.
(b) She must always take care of the children.
(c) She must always cook immaculately.
(d) She must always be on time.
15. Who, probably, actually is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
(a) Aunt Julle.
(b) Mrs. Elvsted.
(d) The red-haired singer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hedda finally do with the manuscript?
2. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
3. What member of Tesman's family has passed away at the beginning of Act 4?
4. How did Lovborg really die?
5. How does Hedda describe her vacation?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)