|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
(a) She forgets to invite her to sit.
(b) She calls her by the wrong name.
(c) She does not offer her something to drink.
(d) She does not ask about the children.
2. Why did Hedda mention she liked the villa?
(a) She had admired it ever since childhood.
(b) She mentioned it on a walk with the awkward Tesman because she felt sorry for him.
(c) She knew it was Tesman's dream house and wanted him to be happy.
(d) She wanted to be near the sea, where the villa stood.
3. Who, probably, actually is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
(a) Aunt Julle.
(b) Mrs. Elvsted.
(d) The red-haired singer.
4. What object(s) does Hedda keep imagining in Lovborg's hair?
(a) Vine leaves.
(d) A straw hat.
5. Why does Solness finally agree to give Ragnar a kind word about his work?
(a) Kaja threatens to leave him forever.
(b) Hilde threatens that she will no longer believe he is a good man.
(c) Aline threatens to kill herself.
(d) Hilde threatens him with a pistol.
6. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted about the manuscript?
(a) He tells her it has been bought by a publishing company.
(b) He tells her Hedda has stolen it.
(c) He tells her he was disgusted with it and destroyed it.
(d) He tells her he lost it and begs her forgiveness.
7. What will Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted use to reconstruct the manuscript?
(a) They will use Lovborg's notes.
(b) They will use Tesman's memory of Lovborg's reading.
(c) They will use Lovborg's recordings.
(d) They will use Mrs. Elvsted's memory.
8. Why is Aline worried about his declaration?
(a) She knows Ragnar has already hung a flag.
(b) She knows Kaja has destroyed his wreath.
(c) She knows heights make him dizzy.
(d) She knows Hilde wants to climb up the tower with him.
9. How does Solness suspect he may be controlling his own life?
(a) He suspects he may be spending all his money.
(b) He suspects he may be willing things to happen.
(c) He suspects God is angry with him.
(d) He suspects he may be obsessive-compulsive.
10. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
(a) She compares it to a guitar.
(b) She compares it to a horse.
(c) She compares it to a meal.
(d) She compares it to a child.
11. What prized possession was passed to Hedda from her father?
(a) His saber.
(b) His money clip.
(c) His fountain pen.
(d) His pistols.
12. Who does Ragnar want to marry?
13. Who assisted Ejlert Lovborg with his project?
(a) Hedda Gabler.
(d) Mrs. Elvsted.
14. Who does Tesman think is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
(a) The red-haired singer.
(b) Aunt Julle.
(c) Mrs. Elvsted.
15. How does Hedda die?
(a) She dies of a carriage accident.
(b) She dies by jumping off a cliff.
(c) She dies of a heart attack.
(d) She dies of a self-inflicted shot to the temple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Solness plan to hang from the tower of his new home?
2. Why does Hedda goad Lovborg into going to the party?
3. What does Hedda finally do with the manuscript?
4. Why has Hilde come?
5. With what type of person is Solness prone to having relationships?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)