|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hedda marry Tesman?
(a) She had an illicit relationship with him and became pregnant.
(b) She was desperately in love with him and he with her.
(c) She found him pathetically eager to support her while no one else was.
(d) She was betrothed to him as a small child.
2. What gift does Hedda give Mr. Lovborg?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A pistol.
(c) His manuscript.
(d) An embroidery.
3. Why has Hilde come?
(a) She is in love with Ragnar.
(b) She misses Aline, who is her very good friend.
(c) She remembers a promise Solness made to her ten years ago.
(d) She is responding to an advertisement for a job.
4. Why does Hedda goad Lovborg into going to the party?
(a) She plans to meet him in secret later.
(b) She wants to feel in control of someone's destiny.
(c) She longs for an evening alone with Mrs. Elvsted.
(d) She is seeking revenge on Aunt Julle.
5. Why does Solness finally agree to give Ragnar a kind word about his work?
(a) Hilde threatens him with a pistol.
(b) Hilde threatens that she will no longer believe he is a good man.
(c) Kaja threatens to leave him forever.
(d) Aline threatens to kill herself.
6. What new responsibility of Hedda's does Mr. Brack refer to?
(a) He refers to her alleged pregnancy.
(b) He refers to her new horse.
(c) He refers to her new job.
(d) He refers to her caring for Aunt Rina.
7. What will Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted use to reconstruct the manuscript?
(a) They will use Tesman's memory of Lovborg's reading.
(b) They will use Mrs. Elvsted's memory.
(c) They will use Lovborg's notes.
(d) They will use Lovborg's recordings.
8. What is the most important element to Aline in her life?
(a) She must always perform her duty.
(b) She must always take care of the children.
(c) She must always be on time.
(d) She must always cook immaculately.
9. For what kind of building was Solness constructing the tower many years ago?
(a) For a home.
(b) For a shop.
(c) For a church.
(d) For a town hall.
10. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
(a) They are building houses across the street from each other.
(b) They are up for the same job at the university.
(c) They are running the same race for the fair.
(d) They are each in love with Mrs. Elvsted.
11. Why was Lovborg arrested?
(a) He accused an ex-lover of stealing his manuscript.
(b) He jay-walked.
(c) He killed Mr. Brack with Hedda's pistol.
(d) He littered.
12. What does Hedda finally do with the manuscript?
(a) She gives it back to Lovborg.
(b) She gives it back to Tesman.
(c) She claims it as her own and publishes it.
(d) She burns it in the fireplace.
13. How did Lovborg really die?
(a) He was shot in the stomach attempting to regain his manuscript.
(b) He was hit by a car.
(c) He shot himself in the head in his home.
(d) He jumped off a cliff and scattered his manuscript to the winds.
14. Why has Solness kept Kaja employed?
(a) He made a promise to her father that he would take care of her.
(b) He is in love with her and wants to marry her.
(c) He wants to keep Ragnar under his thumb.
(d) She is excellent at her job and he could ask for no one better.
15. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
(a) Hedda is expecting a visit from her father.
(b) Hedda wants to be completely free of darkness and death.
(c) Hedda cannot bear to watch her beloved aunt die.
(d) Hedda is too upset to leave the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
2. With what type of person is Solness prone to having relationships?
3. What is Hilde's main memory of Solness?
4. What was Hedda's father's career?
5. What does Ragnar request of Solness just before Brovik's death?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)