|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
(a) They are running the same race for the fair.
(b) They are up for the same job at the university.
(c) They are building houses across the street from each other.
(d) They are each in love with Mrs. Elvsted.
2. How does Hedda describe her vacation?
(a) She thought it was horribly tedious.
(b) She was completely exhausted by the trip.
(c) She thought it was the most interesting experience.
(d) She thought it was so exciting.
3. What has Solness promised Hilde?
(a) He has promised her a new dog and horse.
(b) He has promised her a new house of her very own.
(c) He has promised she can be the princess in his tower.
(d) He has promised her money for an education.
4. With whom does Tesman entrust Lovborg's manuscript?
(a) Mr. Brack.
(c) Mrs. Elvsted.
5. Where does Tesman request for Mrs. Elvsted to take up residence?
(a) In his own home.
(b) Back at her home in the country.
(c) At Aunt Julle's house.
(d) In town, by the singer's house.
6. Where is Mr. Lovborg invited upon his arrival to the Tesmans'?
(a) He is invited to Mr. Brack's for a party.
(b) He is invited to the theatre by Aunt Julle.
(c) He is invited to the back porch by Hedda.
(d) He is invited to Mrs. Elvsted's for tea.
7. What news does Tesman's note bring?
(a) His Aunt Julle is coming to visit.
(b) His friend Mr. Brack has been killed.
(c) He has been granted the university job.
(d) His Aunt Rina is close to death.
8. What will Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted use to reconstruct the manuscript?
(a) They will use Tesman's memory of Lovborg's reading.
(b) They will use Lovborg's recordings.
(c) They will use Lovborg's notes.
(d) They will use Mrs. Elvsted's memory.
9. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
(b) Ejlert Lovborg.
(c) Mr. Brack.
(d) Mrs. Elvsted.
10. By the end of Act 4, what has Hedda lost?
(a) She has lost her parasol.
(b) She has lost her hat.
(c) She has lost her freedom.
(d) She has lost her one true love.
11. What is Lovborg's new book about?
(a) A medical thesaurus.
(b) A history of machination.
(c) The future of civilization.
(d) The future of the wilderness.
12. What does Aunt Julle hope will fill her time in the future?
(a) She hopes for a new puppy.
(b) She hopes for a niece or a nephew.
(c) She hopes for a husband.
(d) She hopes for a job.
13. How does Hedda die?
(a) She dies of a heart attack.
(b) She dies by jumping off a cliff.
(c) She dies of a carriage accident.
(d) She dies of a self-inflicted shot to the temple.
14. Which of the assistants has ambition of becoming a builder?
15. What refreshment does Hedda offer to her guests?
(a) She offers them tea and cake.
(b) She offers them water and bread.
(c) She offers them cold punch.
(d) She offers them hot toddies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What member of Tesman's family has passed away at the beginning of Act 4?
2. What prized possession was passed to Hedda from her father?
3. What object did Aunt Julle purchase to impress Hedda?
4. What is Hilde's main memory of Solness?
5. Why has Hilde come?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)