|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Torvald stay away from Nora at parties?
(a) He is pretending they are secret lovers and engaged.
(b) He cannot stand her.
(c) He is always accompanying Dr. Rank.
(d) He is jealous of the attention she receives.
2. What did the doctor say to Oswald?
(a) "A stitch in time makes nine."
(b) "The sins of the father are visiting upon the children."
(c) "A penny saved is a penny earned."
(d) "You lie like a rug on the floor."
3. What does Oswald ask for at the end of the play?
(a) He asks for the sun.
(b) He asks for the moon.
(c) He asks for Regine.
(d) He asks for a drink.
4. What is Nora's costume for the party?
(a) A Neapolitan fisher lass.
(b) An English princess.
(c) An American Indian.
(d) An Arabian serving maid.
5. What is Torvald unwilling to sacrifice, but Nora claims that thousands of women have to?
(a) He is unwilling to sacrifice his house.
(b) He is unwilling to sacrifice his reputation.
(c) He is unwilling to sacrifice his honor.
(d) He is unwilling to sacrifice his money.
6. Why did Kristine end her relationship with Krogstad?
(a) She was jealous of his promiscuous ways.
(b) She was not attracted to him and did not love him.
(c) She needed money to care for her mother and brothers.
(d) She only wanted his money and once she had it she was gone.
7. What favor does Krogstad ask of Nora?
(a) He asks her to watch his children for the evening.
(b) He asks her to help him keep his job at the bank.
(c) He asks her to mend his coat for him.
(d) He asks her to put in a good word with Mrs. Linde.
8. Who does Mrs. Alving credit with her intellectual awakening?
(a) She credits Oswald, whose zest for art has been her saving grace.
(b) She credits Mr. Alving, whose morality and generosity she always envied.
(c) She credits Regine, whose love for her son warms her heart.
(d) She credits Pastor Manders, whose advice forced her to reexamine the system.
9. What trait in herself does Mrs. Alving regret?
(a) She feels she has been too altruistic.
(b) She feels she has been completely immoral.
(c) She feels she has been selfish and controlling.
(d) She feels she has been a coward.
10. Who is Regine's biological parent?
(b) Pastor Manders.
(c) Mr. Alving.
11. How is Engstrand related to Regine?
(a) Engstrand is her uncle.
(b) Engstrand is her brother.
(c) Engstrand is her cousin.
(d) Engstrand is her father.
12. How does Krogstad plan to tell Torvald of Nora's IOU?
(a) He has written Torvald a letter.
(b) He plans to tell him at the bank the next day.
(c) He is going to burst in to Torvald's office.
(d) He plans to send him an email.
13. What story does Engstrand tell about Regine's parentage?
(a) He was told by Johanna that her father was a foreigner, and all the money went to Regine's education.
(b) He was told by Mrs. Alving that Regine was the Captain's child and to keep it a secret.
(c) He was told by Pastor Manders that Johanna needed a guiding hand and he could help by raising her child.
(d) He was told by a colleague that Regine was the daughter of his brother, and needed a home.
14. Why did the Pastor stay away from Helene and Mr. Alving for so many years?
(a) He was concerned that the trip to the country would be bad for his health.
(b) Mr. Alving despised him and would not allow him in the house.
(c) Mrs. Alving was ill with a contagion and he was afraid to come.
(d) He was concerned Helene's episode as runaway wife would affect his reputation.
15. Why did Mrs. Alving marry Captain Alving?
(a) She was desperately in love with him and could not live without him.
(b) Her lover's life was on the line and Alving offered him redemption.
(c) Her mother and sisters said she would be a fool to pass up his offer.
(d) She felt sorry for him because he was so in love with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Dr. Rank allowed himself such a merry evening?
2. Which of Mrs. Alving's possessions does the Pastor disapprove of?
3. What kind of man was Mr. Alving?
4. Who pursues Krogstad in an attempt to help Nora?
5. Who is Oswald convinced would help him kill himself?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)