|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took care of Nora as a child?
(a) Nora's father.
(b) Nora's mother.
(d) Anne Marie.
2. What does Oswald feel he has to make up to Regine?
(a) He borrowed money from her and did not pay it back.
(b) He dropped a teacup that shattered and she had to clean up.
(c) He mentioned bringing her to Paris, which he forgot.
(d) He send her father, Engstrand, away in anger.
3. What can many of the artists abroad not afford, according to Oswald?
(a) They cannot afford new clothes.
(b) They cannot afford to get married.
(c) They cannot afford to purchase houses.
(d) They cannot afford pipes.
4. What favor does Krogstad ask of Nora?
(a) He asks her to help him keep his job at the bank.
(b) He asks her to watch his children for the evening.
(c) He asks her to put in a good word with Mrs. Linde.
(d) He asks her to mend his coat for him.
5. Who does Mrs. Alving credit with her intellectual awakening?
(a) She credits Mr. Alving, whose morality and generosity she always envied.
(b) She credits Pastor Manders, whose advice forced her to reexamine the system.
(c) She credits Regine, whose love for her son warms her heart.
(d) She credits Oswald, whose zest for art has been her saving grace.
6. What does Helmer think is wrong with Nora's tarentella?
(a) He thinks it is too wild.
(b) He thinks it is too tame.
(c) He thinks the steps are wrong.
(d) He thinks it is not graceful.
7. Who is Oswald convinced would help him kill himself?
(a) Pastor Manders.
(c) Mrs. Alving.
8. What does Kristine propose between she and Krogstad?
(a) She proposes they never speak again.
(b) She proposes they both work at the bank together.
(c) She proposes they steal the Helmer's things.
(d) She proposes they join forces.
9. What is Nora's reputation among her friends and family?
(a) A catty, cruel witch.
(b) A weepy, brittle sensitive.
(c) A frivolous, silly woman.
(d) A serious-minded scholar.
10. To what animal does Torvald often compare Nora?
(a) He compares her to dolphin.
(b) He compares her to a raccoon.
(c) He compares her to a lion.
(d) He compares her to a songbird.
11. Why did Kristine end her relationship with Krogstad?
(a) She was jealous of his promiscuous ways.
(b) She needed money to care for her mother and brothers.
(c) She only wanted his money and once she had it she was gone.
(d) She was not attracted to him and did not love him.
12. What daily responsibility does Nora have trouble managing, according to Torvald?
(a) She cannot manage money.
(b) She cannot manage the horses.
(c) She cannot manage the kitchen.
(d) She cannot manage the children.
13. What ultimatum does Mrs. Alving want to give Oswald?
(a) She wants him to either go abroad and do art or stay at home and give it up.
(b) She wants him to either marry Regine or send her packing.
(c) She wants him to either go study with Pastor Manders or stay at home with her.
(d) She wants him to either quit smoking his pipe or only smoke it in his room.
14. Why has Kristine come to seek work?
(a) She misses Nora because they were best friends.
(b) She needs extra money for a business venture.
(c) She is tired of her career and wants to try something new.
(d) She is a widow and has nowhere else to turn.
15. Why did Engstrand claim Regine as his own child?
(a) He desperately wanted a child and circumstances worked in his favor.
(b) He was paid very well to keep her real father a secret.
(c) He felt sorry for the unborn baby and took the blame on himself.
(d) He was fooled by his wife and has no idea he is not Regine's real father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Helmers excited for the new year?
2. What important piece of biological information does Mrs. Alving reveal to Regine and Oswald?
3. What critical past moment of Mrs. Alving's life does the Pastor share?
4. Who is Torvald's best friend?
5. What crime does Krogstad reveal Nora has committed?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)