|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nora carrying as she enters Act 1?
(a) She is carrying Christmas gifts.
(b) She is carrying embroidery.
(c) She is carrying one of the children.
(d) She is carrying a letter.
2. Who took care of Nora as a child?
(a) Nora's father.
(b) Anne Marie.
(c) Nora's mother.
3. What is Torvald unwilling to sacrifice, but Nora claims that thousands of women have to?
(a) He is unwilling to sacrifice his honor.
(b) He is unwilling to sacrifice his reputation.
(c) He is unwilling to sacrifice his money.
(d) He is unwilling to sacrifice his house.
4. What important piece of biological information does Mrs. Alving reveal to Regine and Oswald?
(a) They are, in fact, half brother and half sister.
(b) Regine is Mrs. Alving's biological daughter.
(c) She is not Oswald's biological mother.
(d) They are actually betrothed, and have been since birth.
5. What costumes does Dr. Rank suggest for himself and Nora at the next party?
(a) She will be Aphrodite and he will be Zeus.
(b) She will be Lady Luck and he will be invisible.
(c) She will be a gypsy and he will be a policeman.
(d) She will be a wood nymph and he will be a satyr.
6. Why did Kristine end her relationship with Krogstad?
(a) She needed money to care for her mother and brothers.
(b) She only wanted his money and once she had it she was gone.
(c) She was jealous of his promiscuous ways.
(d) She was not attracted to him and did not love him.
7. Who does Dr. Rank think will replace him in the Helmer house?
(a) Mrs. Linde.
(b) Hedda Gabler.
8. Why did Engstrand claim Regine as his own child?
(a) He was paid very well to keep her real father a secret.
(b) He felt sorry for the unborn baby and took the blame on himself.
(c) He desperately wanted a child and circumstances worked in his favor.
(d) He was fooled by his wife and has no idea he is not Regine's real father.
9. What daily responsibility does Nora have trouble managing, according to Torvald?
(a) She cannot manage the horses.
(b) She cannot manage money.
(c) She cannot manage the children.
(d) She cannot manage the kitchen.
10. What have Pastor Manders and Mrs. Alving been building?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A hotel for seamen.
(c) A public library.
(d) A Russian teahouse.
11. What is Oswald's illness?
(a) He has a disease that is deteriorating his brain.
(b) He has a disease that make him sick to his stomach.
(c) He has a sinus infection.
(d) He has a disease that is atrophying his muscles.
12. What does Dr. Rank plan to send to Nora to alert her of his final descent?
(a) He will send her a single rose.
(b) He will send his visiting card with a black cross on it.
(c) He will send his visiting card with a scull and crossbones on it.
(d) He will send her a detailed note.
13. What name has Oswald given himself?
(a) Mr. Alving.
(b) The Prodigal Sun.
(c) The Second Coming.
(d) The Venus di Milo.
14. What is Nora's reputation among her friends and family?
(a) A weepy, brittle sensitive.
(b) A frivolous, silly woman.
(c) A catty, cruel witch.
(d) A serious-minded scholar.
15. Why does Torvald whisk Nora away so quickly after the dance?
(a) He does not want to spoil the effect of her performance by letting her loiter.
(b) He is confused by her mistakes and is taking her away to chastise her.
(c) He is upset with her performance and plans to berate her in private.
(d) He is awed by her performance and wants to have his way with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Nora compare her and Torvald's life?
2. Why did the Pastor stay away from Helene and Mr. Alving for so many years?
3. Who has witnessed the Pastor's transgression?
4. Why does Pastor Manders like Engstrand?
5. Who does Dr. Rank want Nora to prevent from visiting him in his final illness?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)