|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Torvald call Nora after Mrs. Linde leaves?
(a) His biggest problem.
(b) His most treasured possession.
(c) His fierce Spaniard.
(d) His weak link.
2. How did Nora actually get the money?
(a) She won it at the lottery.
(b) She earned it at waitressing.
(c) She borrowed it.
(d) She stole it.
3. What dance does Nora learn in Capri?
(a) The flamenco.
(b) The salsa.
(c) The tarentella.
(d) The waltz.
4. Why did Mrs. Alving marry Captain Alving?
(a) She felt sorry for him because he was so in love with her.
(b) Her mother and sisters said she would be a fool to pass up his offer.
(c) She was desperately in love with him and could not live without him.
(d) Her lover's life was on the line and Alving offered him redemption.
5. What item of her costume does Nora show Dr. Rank?
(a) She shows him her bracelet.
(b) She shows him her flower clip.
(c) She shows him her silk stockings.
(d) She shows him her fan.
6. What does Nora hint at at the end of Act 2?
(a) She hints that she will kill Krogstad.
(b) She hints that Kristine will help her.
(c) She hints that she will not dance the tarentella.
(d) She hints that she may kill herself.
7. What kind of man was Mr. Alving?
(a) He was a jolly fellow with many friends who always visited.
(b) He was a distant, solemn man who rarely spoke or entertained.
(c) He was a debauched drunk and indiscreet cheater.
(d) He was a sainted man who never touched alcohol.
8. What does Kristine propose between she and Krogstad?
(a) She proposes they both work at the bank together.
(b) She proposes they never speak again.
(c) She proposes they join forces.
(d) She proposes they steal the Helmer's things.
9. What did the doctor say to Oswald?
(a) "The sins of the father are visiting upon the children."
(b) "A penny saved is a penny earned."
(c) "A stitch in time makes nine."
(d) "You lie like a rug on the floor."
10. To what animal does Torvald often compare Nora?
(a) He compares her to a lion.
(b) He compares her to a songbird.
(c) He compares her to a raccoon.
(d) He compares her to dolphin.
11. What story does Engstrand tell about Regine's parentage?
(a) He was told by Johanna that her father was a foreigner, and all the money went to Regine's education.
(b) He was told by Mrs. Alving that Regine was the Captain's child and to keep it a secret.
(c) He was told by Pastor Manders that Johanna needed a guiding hand and he could help by raising her child.
(d) He was told by a colleague that Regine was the daughter of his brother, and needed a home.
12. What does Engstrand want the Pastor to do with the remainder of Alving's money?
(a) He wants him to rebuild the orphanage.
(b) He wants him to invest in the seamen's home.
(c) He wants him to give it to Mrs. Alving.
(d) He wants him to pay for Regine and Oswald's wedding.
13. Why did the Pastor stay away from Helene and Mr. Alving for so many years?
(a) He was concerned that the trip to the country would be bad for his health.
(b) Mrs. Alving was ill with a contagion and he was afraid to come.
(c) He was concerned Helene's episode as runaway wife would affect his reputation.
(d) Mr. Alving despised him and would not allow him in the house.
14. What is Oswald's plan once his illness incapacitates him?
(a) He plans to marry Regine and profligate the family.
(b) He plans to paint as much as he can.
(c) He plans to kill himself with morphine pills.
(d) He plans to commit himself fully to prayer.
15. Why does Pastor Manders like Engstrand?
(a) Engstrand's daughter is the Pastor's wife, and it is only fitting for the Pastor to like him.
(b) He and Engstrand are brothers and he has always had a soft spot for him.
(c) He feels Engstrand is honest and willing to confess is failures.
(d) Engstrand saved the Pastor's life once, long ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Torvald became ill, where did he and Nora go?
2. What excuse does Mrs. Linde give for being at the Helmers' residence?
3. What name has Oswald given himself?
4. Why did Engstrand claim Regine as his own child?
5. Who does Torvald blame for Nora's fall from grace?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)