|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dr. Rank think will replace him in the Helmer house?
(a) Hedda Gabler.
(c) Mrs. Linde.
2. Which of Mrs. Alving's possessions does the Pastor disapprove of?
(a) He disapproves of her dresses.
(b) He disapproves of her liquor.
(c) He disapproves of her books.
(d) He disapproves of her paintings.
3. What crime does Krogstad reveal Nora has committed?
4. What ultimatum does Mrs. Alving want to give Oswald?
(a) She wants him to either marry Regine or send her packing.
(b) She wants him to either go abroad and do art or stay at home and give it up.
(c) She wants him to either go study with Pastor Manders or stay at home with her.
(d) She wants him to either quit smoking his pipe or only smoke it in his room.
5. What kind of man was Mr. Alving?
(a) He was a distant, solemn man who rarely spoke or entertained.
(b) He was a jolly fellow with many friends who always visited.
(c) He was a sainted man who never touched alcohol.
(d) He was a debauched drunk and indiscreet cheater.
6. What item of her costume does Nora show Dr. Rank?
(a) She shows him her silk stockings.
(b) She shows him her bracelet.
(c) She shows him her fan.
(d) She shows him her flower clip.
7. What excuse does Mrs. Linde give for being at the Helmers' residence?
(a) She wants to see Dr. Rank.
(b) She wants to take care of the children instead of Helene.
(c) She was meeting with Krogstad.
(d) She wants to see Nora in her costume.
8. Who is the only person Nora has left out of her shopping spree?
(a) Mrs. Linde.
9. Why does Nora leave Torvald?
(a) She is tired of his constant mistresses.
(b) She is tired of him and wants to live somewhere else.
(c) She must learn to stand on her own two feet.
(d) She is in love with Dr. Rank.
10. To what animal does Torvald often compare Nora?
(a) He compares her to dolphin.
(b) He compares her to a raccoon.
(c) He compares her to a songbird.
(d) He compares her to a lion.
11. What does Engstrand want the Pastor to do with the remainder of Alving's money?
(a) He wants him to rebuild the orphanage.
(b) He wants him to give it to Mrs. Alving.
(c) He wants him to invest in the seamen's home.
(d) He wants him to pay for Regine and Oswald's wedding.
12. What does Nora tell Dr. Rank is her "big secret"?
(a) She has committed fraud and needs to pay back her lender.
(b) She has hired Mrs. Linde to work in the house for them.
(c) She is pregnant again.
(d) She has ordered a new costume and does not want to tell Torvald.
13. When Torvald became ill, where did he and Nora go?
(a) They went to Italy.
(b) They went to Argentina.
(c) They went to Spain.
(d) They went to New York.
14. What is Torvald unwilling to sacrifice, but Nora claims that thousands of women have to?
(a) He is unwilling to sacrifice his money.
(b) He is unwilling to sacrifice his house.
(c) He is unwilling to sacrifice his reputation.
(d) He is unwilling to sacrifice his honor.
15. In the past year, what did Nora do two weeks before Christmas?
(a) Nora slaved over pies and candy in the kitchen.
(b) Nora took a trip to Milan to shop.
(c) Nora shut herself in and made paper decoration.
(d) Nora cleaned the house top to bottom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Rank plan to send to Nora to alert her of his final descent?
2. What did Oswald go abroad to become?
3. Who does Dr. Rank want Nora to prevent from visiting him in his final illness?
4. Why has Dr. Rank allowed himself such a merry evening?
5. To whom did Mrs. Alving run when her married life became unbearable?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)