|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trait in herself does Mrs. Alving regret?
(a) She feels she has been a coward.
(b) She feels she has been selfish and controlling.
(c) She feels she has been too altruistic.
(d) She feels she has been completely immoral.
2. What is Nora's costume for the party?
(a) An English princess.
(b) An Arabian serving maid.
(c) An American Indian.
(d) A Neapolitan fisher lass.
3. How long does Nora plan to wait to tell Torvald about the borrowing?
(a) Until he is not as in love with her.
(b) Until she has paid off the interest.
(c) Until she has paid it all back.
(d) Until he discovers the receipts.
4. What story does Engstrand tell about Regine's parentage?
(a) He was told by a colleague that Regine was the daughter of his brother, and needed a home.
(b) He was told by Pastor Manders that Johanna needed a guiding hand and he could help by raising her child.
(c) He was told by Johanna that her father was a foreigner, and all the money went to Regine's education.
(d) He was told by Mrs. Alving that Regine was the Captain's child and to keep it a secret.
5. Why does Kristine insist Krogstad leave the letter in the box?
(a) She thinks Torvald must know the truth.
(b) She wants to leave with Krogstad and never come back.
(c) She secretly hates Nora and wants her to fail.
(d) She wants them to be distracted while they steal the money.
6. What costumes does Dr. Rank suggest for himself and Nora at the next party?
(a) She will be a wood nymph and he will be a satyr.
(b) She will be Aphrodite and he will be Zeus.
(c) She will be a gypsy and he will be a policeman.
(d) She will be Lady Luck and he will be invisible.
7. What important piece of biological information does Mrs. Alving reveal to Regine and Oswald?
(a) Regine is Mrs. Alving's biological daughter.
(b) She is not Oswald's biological mother.
(c) They are, in fact, half brother and half sister.
(d) They are actually betrothed, and have been since birth.
8. Who does Dr. Rank think will replace him in the Helmer house?
(a) Hedda Gabler.
(d) Mrs. Linde.
9. Why has Kristine come to seek work?
(a) She needs extra money for a business venture.
(b) She misses Nora because they were best friends.
(c) She is a widow and has nowhere else to turn.
(d) She is tired of her career and wants to try something new.
10. What name has Oswald given himself?
(a) The Prodigal Sun.
(b) The Venus di Milo.
(c) Mr. Alving.
(d) The Second Coming.
11. Who is Torvald's best friend?
(b) Anne Marie.
(c) Mr. Krogstad.
(d) Dr. Rank.
12. Why did Engstrand claim Regine as his own child?
(a) He was fooled by his wife and has no idea he is not Regine's real father.
(b) He felt sorry for the unborn baby and took the blame on himself.
(c) He desperately wanted a child and circumstances worked in his favor.
(d) He was paid very well to keep her real father a secret.
13. Why did the orphanage burn down?
(a) Pastor Manders was careless with a candle.
(b) Regine burned it down on purpose
(c) Oswald was careless with his pipe tobacco.
(d) Engstrand was careless with a cigarette.
14. What suggestion does Torvald give Mrs. Linde?
(a) He suggests she end her relationship with Nora.
(b) He suggests she fix her hair in a more attractive way, like Nora's hair.
(c) He suggests she end her relationship with Krogstad.
(d) He suggests she take up embroidery instead of knitting.
15. What disease does Dr. Rank have?
(a) Tuberculosis of the spine.
(b) Step throat.
(c) Muscular Sclerosis.
(d) Cancer of the bones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Alving think is the cause of all the trouble in the world?
2. What does Torvald discover in the lock of the mailbox?
3. Why has Dr. Rank allowed himself such a merry evening?
4. Who is Regine's biological parent?
5. Who does Dr. Rank want Nora to prevent from visiting him in his final illness?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)