|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pastor Manders like Engstrand?
(a) Engstrand's daughter is the Pastor's wife, and it is only fitting for the Pastor to like him.
(b) He feels Engstrand is honest and willing to confess is failures.
(c) Engstrand saved the Pastor's life once, long ago.
(d) He and Engstrand are brothers and he has always had a soft spot for him.
2. What does Krogstad want from Torvald?
(a) He wants a new, more important job at the bank.
(b) He wants Nora to come with him and be his wife.
(c) He wants his money back with interest.
(d) He wants Torvald to work for him.
3. In the past year, what did Nora do two weeks before Christmas?
(a) Nora cleaned the house top to bottom.
(b) Nora took a trip to Milan to shop.
(c) Nora slaved over pies and candy in the kitchen.
(d) Nora shut herself in and made paper decoration.
4. What disease does Dr. Rank have?
(a) Step throat.
(b) Cancer of the bones.
(c) Muscular Sclerosis.
(d) Tuberculosis of the spine.
5. Who has witnessed the Pastor's transgression?
(c) Mrs. Alving.
6. What crime does Krogstad reveal Nora has committed?
7. What event is Dr. Rank very frank about with Nora?
(a) He is casual about his former lover.
(b) He is very frank about his money.
(c) He is very frank about his love for Mrs. Rank.
(d) He is casual about his impending death.
8. What is Nora carrying as she enters Act 1?
(a) She is carrying Christmas gifts.
(b) She is carrying embroidery.
(c) She is carrying a letter.
(d) She is carrying one of the children.
9. Who does Dr. Rank think will replace him in the Helmer house?
(a) Mrs. Linde.
(d) Hedda Gabler.
10. What happens to the orphanage at the end of Act 2?
(a) The orphanage is blown over by wind.
(b) The orphanage is painted and vandalized.
(c) The orphanage catches fire and burns down.
(d) The orphanage is flooded by the rain.
11. What trait in herself does Mrs. Alving regret?
(a) She feels she has been a coward.
(b) She feels she has been too altruistic.
(c) She feels she has been selfish and controlling.
(d) She feels she has been completely immoral.
12. What card does Torvald receive from Dr. Rank?
(a) He receives a congratulations for the new baby.
(b) He receives a calling card with a black cross.
(c) He receives a birthday invitation for the next week.
(d) He receives a wedding invitation with a red heart.
13. Why does Torvald whisk Nora away so quickly after the dance?
(a) He does not want to spoil the effect of her performance by letting her loiter.
(b) He is confused by her mistakes and is taking her away to chastise her.
(c) He is upset with her performance and plans to berate her in private.
(d) He is awed by her performance and wants to have his way with her.
14. What suggestion does Torvald give Mrs. Linde?
(a) He suggests she end her relationship with Krogstad.
(b) He suggests she fix her hair in a more attractive way, like Nora's hair.
(c) He suggests she take up embroidery instead of knitting.
(d) He suggests she end her relationship with Nora.
15. What is Nora's costume for the party?
(a) An English princess.
(b) An American Indian.
(c) An Arabian serving maid.
(d) A Neapolitan fisher lass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Mrs. Linde give for being at the Helmers' residence?
2. What important piece of biological information does Mrs. Alving reveal to Regine and Oswald?
3. How did Nora actually get the money?
4. To whom did Mrs. Alving run when her married life became unbearable?
5. What does Krogstad send back to Torvald?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)