|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What labor is Marcelo forced to do on the second day in Part 2, Chapter 6?
2. What does Argensola find interesting at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 1, who does Marcelo mention seeing at his castle?
4. Who is killed at the end of Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 4, who is Marguerite's patient?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Commandant Blumhardt's actions in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. What does Marcelo think about while sitting by his son's grave?
3. How does Marcelo assuage his hunger in Part 2, Chapter 6?
4. Why does Marcelo visit Julio's studio in Part 3, Chapter 2?
5. Why does Julio return to Paris in Part 3, Chapter 4, and what happens during his stay?
6. Describe Marcelo's dinner with the Count in Part 2, Chapter 5.
7. Why is it difficult for the party in Part 3, Chapter 5 to find Julio's grave?
8. At the end of Part 3, Chapter 2, what does Senator Lacour offer Marcelo, and how does Marcelo react?
9. Describe Chichi's actions at the end of Part 3, Chapter 1.
10. What happens to Rene in Part 3, Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the tension within Marcelo's family parallel the tension between Germany and France? How is this demonstrated, and which characters serve as examples of this?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty?
Essay Topic 3
How does the novel's point of view enhance and inhibit the novel? How would the novel be different if an alternate point of view were used?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)