|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do the soldiers use to make their homes?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 5, what does the Keeper bury on Marcelo's property?
3. Where is it said that the Virgin Mary appeared once, according to Part 2, Chapter 4?
4. What does the Count order be done to the 18-year-old boy in Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Marcelo realize about his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chichi's actions at the end of Part 3, Chapter 1.
2. What occurs between Marcelo and Julio at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
3. Who does Marcelo become friends with in Part 3, Chapter 2, and what alters their friendship?
4. Describe the reunion between Marcelo and Julio in Part 3, Chapter 3.
5. Who does Julio find Marguerite with, and what does she confess about this person?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 5, where is Marcelo taken, and why? What does he see?
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Julio learn about Marguerite?
8. How do the Germans repay Marcelo and the Keeper's hospitality in Part 2, Chapter 5?
9. What is the importance of the battle of the Marne?
10. Why is it difficult for the party in Part 3, Chapter 5 to find Julio's grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Luisa with Chichi. How are these two women different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters in this novel serve as the protagonist(s) and antagonist(s)? What events and/or characteristics cause these characters to be labeled as such?
Essay Topic 3
What do the events of the novel suggest about the morality and affects of war?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)