|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does an officer take Marcelo to see in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. Who offers to arrange for Marcelo to visit Julio?
3. Why must Rene go back to work in Part 3, Chapter 3?
4. What does the Count plan to take with him when he leaves Marcelo's castle?
5. What does Julio offer to do to change Marguerite's mind toward the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Marcelo become friends with in Part 3, Chapter 2, and what alters their friendship?
2. How do the Germans repay Marcelo and the Keeper's hospitality in Part 2, Chapter 5?
3. Describe Marcelo and Senator Lacour's journey to see Julio after visiting Rene.
4. What does Marguerite say about her feelings and her relationship with Julio at the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 5, where is Marcelo taken, and why? What does he see?
6. Describe Marcelo's dinner with the Count in Part 2, Chapter 5.
7. What do Marcelo, Senator Lacour, and Rene discuss in Part 3, Chapter 3?
8. At the end of Part 3, Chapter 2, what does Senator Lacour offer Marcelo, and how does Marcelo react?
9. What is the importance of the battle of the Marne?
10. Who does Julio find Marguerite with, and what does she confess about this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Julio and Marcelo.
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in this novel? Which characters demonstrate their religious beliefs, and how?
Essay Topic 3
How does Marcelo Desnoyers change throughout the novel? Detail the changes that he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)