|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marguerite do when she sees Julio on the street in Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. Where is it said that the Virgin Mary appeared once, according to Part 2, Chapter 4?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 1, what division is Rene transferred to?
4. What do Marcelo and Tchernoff disagree about in Part 3, Chapter 2?
5. Why does Marcelo stop going to the studio as much toward the end of Part 3, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Marcelo become friends with in Part 3, Chapter 2, and what alters their friendship?
2. Why does Julio return to Paris in Part 3, Chapter 4, and what happens during his stay?
3. Why is it difficult for the party in Part 3, Chapter 5 to find Julio's grave?
4. Who does Julio find Marguerite with, and what does she confess about this person?
5. How does Luisa and Elena's relationship change in Part 3, Chapter 1, and why?
6. What does Marguerite say about her feelings and her relationship with Julio at the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
7. What is the significance of Pau, and how does this city make Julio feel?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 5, where is Marcelo taken, and why? What does he see?
9. How do the Germans repay Marcelo and the Keeper's hospitality in Part 2, Chapter 5?
10. What are Commandant Blumhardt's actions in Part 2, Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Julio and Marguerite affect the story's plot? How would the novel be different if Marguerite had not ended their affair?
Essay Topic 2
Investigate the title of the novel. What is the significance of the title? Provide evidence from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)