|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marcelo avoid doing labor in Part 2, Chapter 6?
2. Why does Tchernoff believe that the Germans will win the war?
3. What does the Count order be done to the 18-year-old boy in Part 2, Chapter 5?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do the soldiers use to make their homes?
5. What do Marcelo and Tchernoff disagree about in Part 3, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcelo think about while sitting by his son's grave?
2. Who does Julio find Marguerite with, and what does she confess about this person?
3. Why does Marcelo visit Julio's studio in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. What is the importance of the battle of the Marne?
5. How do the Germans repay Marcelo and the Keeper's hospitality in Part 2, Chapter 5?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 5, where is Marcelo taken, and why? What does he see?
7. Describe Marcelo and Senator Lacour's journey to see Julio after visiting Rene.
8. Describe the reunion between Marcelo and Julio in Part 3, Chapter 3.
9. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Julio learn about Marguerite?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Marcelo see, and what does he learn about this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does guilt play in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"? Which characters are affected by this motif, and what events and thoughts does it elicit?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Julio and Marcelo.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)