|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the mayor of the village in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. What does the Count plan to take with him when he leaves Marcelo's castle?
3. Why does Marcelo go to Julio's studio in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. What order is given on the third night in Part 2, Chapter 6?
5. What feeling overcomes Marcelo at the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the battle of the Marne?
2. Who does Marcelo become friends with in Part 3, Chapter 2, and what alters their friendship?
3. What does Marcelo think about while sitting by his son's grave?
4. Who does Julio find Marguerite with, and what does she confess about this person?
5. At the end of Part 3, Chapter 2, what does Senator Lacour offer Marcelo, and how does Marcelo react?
6. Describe Chichi's actions at the end of Part 3, Chapter 1.
7. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Marcelo see, and what does he learn about this person?
8. Describe Marcelo's dinner with the Count in Part 2, Chapter 5.
9. What do Marcelo, Senator Lacour, and Rene discuss in Part 3, Chapter 3?
10. What happens to Marcelo's castle at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Julio and Marcelo.
Essay Topic 2
What do the events of the novel suggest about the morality and affects of war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Julio Desnoyers' character develops throughout the novel. What events elicit changes in Julio's character, and in what ways?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)