|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marcelo see downtown in Part 3, Chapter 2?
2. Who is the soldier that visits Marcelo at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
3. Who is killed at the end of Part 2, Chapter 5?
4. How is the castle roof destroyed in Part 2, Chapter 6?
5. Why does Tchernoff believe that the Germans will win the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chichi's actions at the end of Part 3, Chapter 1.
2. What do Marcelo, Senator Lacour, and Rene discuss in Part 3, Chapter 3?
3. Why does Marcelo visit Julio's studio in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. Describe Marcelo's return to Paris in Part 2, Chapter 6.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 5, where is Marcelo taken, and why? What does he see?
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Julio learn about Marguerite?
7. What are Commandant Blumhardt's actions in Part 2, Chapter 5?
8. How does Luisa and Elena's relationship change in Part 3, Chapter 1, and why?
9. What does Marguerite say about her feelings and her relationship with Julio at the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
10. What does Marcelo think about while sitting by his son's grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Marcelo Desnoyers change throughout the novel? Detail the changes that he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 2
How does the tension within Marcelo's family parallel the tension between Germany and France? How is this demonstrated, and which characters serve as examples of this?
Essay Topic 3
How do the lives of the characters change due to the war?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)