|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Julio find Marguerite in Part 2, Chapter 4?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 1, who does Marcelo mention seeing at his castle?
3. Who is killed at the end of Part 2, Chapter 5?
4. To what post is Rene assigned in Part 3, Chapter 1?
5. Where is Elena going in order to travel from there to Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Rene in Part 3, Chapter 4?
2. What are Commandant Blumhardt's actions in Part 2, Chapter 5?
3. What does Marguerite say about her feelings and her relationship with Julio at the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 5, where is Marcelo taken, and why? What does he see?
5. How does Marcelo feel at the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
6. How does Marcelo assuage his hunger in Part 2, Chapter 6?
7. Describe Marcelo's return to Paris in Part 2, Chapter 6.
8. Describe the reunion between Marcelo and Julio in Part 3, Chapter 3.
9. What is the significance of Pau, and how does this city make Julio feel?
10. Who does Julio find Marguerite with, and what does she confess about this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Marcelo Desnoyers change throughout the novel? Detail the changes that he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 2
How do the lives of the characters change due to the war?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Marcelo and Julio change throughout the novel? What events elicit these changes?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)