|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Julio believe was wounded in the war when he learns about Marguerite's situation?
2. How does Marcelo avoid doing labor in Part 2, Chapter 6?
3. Who does Marcelo befriend at dinner in Part 2, Chapter 5?
4. What turns the tide of the war and helps Paris escape certain invasion?
5. How does Marcelo feel about seeing his son near the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs between Marcelo and Julio at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
2. Why is it difficult for the party in Part 3, Chapter 5 to find Julio's grave?
3. Describe the reunion between Marcelo and Julio in Part 3, Chapter 3.
4. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Marcelo see, and what does he learn about this person?
5. What are Commandant Blumhardt's actions in Part 2, Chapter 5?
6. Describe Chichi's actions at the end of Part 3, Chapter 1.
7. What happens to Rene in Part 3, Chapter 4?
8. What do Marcelo, Senator Lacour, and Rene discuss in Part 3, Chapter 3?
9. What is the importance of the battle of the Marne?
10. What does Marguerite say about her feelings and her relationship with Julio at the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Marcelo and Julio change throughout the novel? What events elicit these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Julio Desnoyers' character develops throughout the novel. What events elicit changes in Julio's character, and in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
What do the events of the novel suggest about the morality and affects of war?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)