|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marguerite accompany to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2?
2. Who commits suicide at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5?
3. Who does Julius believe is the supreme race?
4. What does Madriaga do when Karl asks to marry Elena?
5. What non-European nationality is represented in the people walking through the streets of Paris in Part 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Argensola's argument against Julius' beliefs, and how does Julius rebut?
2. What are Julius' opinions about the pending war?
3. How does Madriaga die and who inherits his property?
4. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. Why does Marcelo feel guilty and envious in Part 2, Chapter 1?
6. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
7. What is the significance of the Arc de Triomphe?
8. What do Julio and Marguerite discuss when she finally arrives in Part 1, Chapter 1?
9. Describe Julio's relationship with Argensola.
10. What does Marcelo find when he arrives at his castle in Part 2, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Julio and Marguerite affect the story's plot? How would the novel be different if Marguerite had not ended their affair?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Julio Desnoyers' character develops throughout the novel. What events elicit changes in Julio's character, and in what ways?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)