|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tchernoff's religious affiliation?
2. Why is Argensola unable to stockpile food and drink?
3. Who is Julio surprised to find at his parents' house?
4. What color uniforms do the Germans wear?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo believe the war is a waste of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Argensola's problem at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does he resolve it?
2. Describe Marcelo's journey to his castle in the country.
3. Why does Marcelo decide to leave Madriaga's ranch, and how does Madriaga react?
4. What does Marcelo learn in Part 2, Chapter 1 when he visits his carpenter?
5. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
6. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
7. How does the war progress at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
8. How does Marcelo's view of the war change in Part 2, Chapter 1?
9. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 4, who visits Julio, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Julio and Marguerite affect the story's plot? How would the novel be different if Marguerite had not ended their affair?
Essay Topic 2
What do the events of the novel suggest about the morality and affects of war?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in this novel? Which characters demonstrate their religious beliefs, and how?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)