Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marcelo walk down the street his son lives on?
2. Why does Marcelo take the women of his family south?
3. Who do Luisa and Elena pray for at church in Part 2, Chapter 3?
4. What does the sight of Marcelo's countrymen mobilizing revive in Marcelo?
5. How does Marguerite feel about her studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcelo learn in Part 2, Chapter 1 when he visits his carpenter?
2. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
3. What happens to Rene in Part 3, Chapter 4?
4. Describe Marcelo's return to Paris in Part 2, Chapter 6.
5. How does Luisa and Elena's relationship change in Part 3, Chapter 1, and why?
6. What are Commandant Blumhardt's actions in Part 2, Chapter 5?
7. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
8. Why does Julio return to Paris in Part 3, Chapter 4, and what happens during his stay?
9. Why do Marguerite and Julio leave the garden at the end of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what happens as they leave?
10. What does Marguerite say about her feelings and her relationship with Julio at the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
How does the tension within Marcelo's family parallel the tension between Germany and France? How is this demonstrated, and which characters serve as examples of this?
Essay Topic 2
How does the novel's point of view enhance and inhibit the novel? How would the novel be different if an alternate point of view were used?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Julio Desnoyers' character develops throughout the novel. What events elicit changes in Julio's character, and in what ways?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)