|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On whom does Argensola base his argument that there is no pure German culture?
2. What does Julio believe puts him and Argensola in a poor position?
3. Who does Marguerite see at the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2?
4. What does Marguerite train to become in Part 2, Chapter 2?
5. Who gives Argensola supplies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
2. What do Julio and Marguerite discuss when she finally arrives in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
4. What does Marcelo think about while sitting by his son's grave?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what do Luisa and Elena pray for, and how does Marcelo feel about this?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Marcelo see, and what does he learn about this person?
7. How does Madriaga die and who inherits his property?
8. How does Marcelo feel at the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
9. What is Argensola's problem at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does he resolve it?
10. How does Julio meet Marguerite, what happens, and how does Marcelo feel about the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters in this novel serve as the protagonist(s) and antagonist(s)? What events and/or characteristics cause these characters to be labeled as such?
Essay Topic 2
How does the novel's point of view enhance and inhibit the novel? How would the novel be different if an alternate point of view were used?
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)