|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dona Luisa spend much time?
2. Why does Marcelo leave Paris?
3. What prevents the fulfillment of Marcelo's wish in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. Who declares war on Russia?
5. Who does Julius believe is the supreme race?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
2. What does Marcelo find when he arrives at his castle in Part 2, Chapter 3?
3. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
5. Why do Marguerite and Julio leave the garden at the end of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what happens as they leave?
6. What does Marguerite decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does this change her?
7. Why does Marcelo feel guilty and envious in Part 2, Chapter 1?
8. Describe Julio and Argensola's neighbors.
9. How does Marcelo's view of the war change in Part 2, Chapter 1?
10. Describe Marcelo's journey to his castle in the country.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" affect the novel's plot? How would the novel be altered if one or more of these characters were removed from the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Marcelo and Julio change throughout the novel? What events elicit these changes?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in this novel? Which characters demonstrate their religious beliefs, and how?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)