|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches Marcelo a lot in Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. Who gives Argensola supplies?
3. What does Marcelo decide to do immediately after Madriaga's death?
4. Who is Julio surprised to find at his parents' house?
5. What colors do the French wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Julius' opinions about the pending war?
2. Describe Julio's relationship with Argensola.
3. Describe Julio's return to France, as detailed in Part 1, Chapter 1.
4. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
5. What does Marcelo find when he arrives at his castle in Part 2, Chapter 3?
6. Why does Marcelo decide to leave Madriaga's ranch, and how does Madriaga react?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
8. What does Marguerite decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does this change her?
9. What is the significance of the Arc de Triomphe?
10. How does Julio meet Marguerite, what happens, and how does Marcelo feel about the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Marcelo and Julio change throughout the novel? What events elicit these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Julio Desnoyers' character develops throughout the novel. What events elicit changes in Julio's character, and in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
How does the tension within Marcelo's family parallel the tension between Germany and France? How is this demonstrated, and which characters serve as examples of this?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)