|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is the captain of the boat on which Julio returns to France?
2. What is Luisa's nickname?
3. What prevents the fulfillment of Marcelo's wish in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. Why does Marguerite train in Part 2, Chapter 2?
5. What orders are received at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Madriaga.
2. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
3. How does the war progress at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
5. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
6. What is Argensola's problem at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does he resolve it?
7. What is the significance of the Arc de Triomphe?
8. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
9. Describe Julio's relationship with Argensola.
10. Explain the Biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Marcelo Desnoyers change throughout the novel? Detail the changes that he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
Essay Topic 3
Investigate the title of the novel. What is the significance of the title? Provide evidence from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)