|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madriaga hire as an accountant?
2. Why does Julio leave France?
3. What is Tchernoff's religious affiliation?
4. What is the topic of the biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. How do Julio and Julius feel about each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Argensola's problem at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does he resolve it?
2. Why does Marcelo decide to leave Madriaga's ranch, and how does Madriaga react?
3. How does Marcelo's view of the war change in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
5. How does Julio meet Marguerite, what happens, and how does Marcelo feel about the situation?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
7. How does Madriaga die and who inherits his property?
8. Describe Julio's relationship with Argensola.
9. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
10. What does Marcelo learn in Part 2, Chapter 1 when he visits his carpenter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Marcelo and Julio change throughout the novel? What events elicit these changes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the novel's point of view enhance and inhibit the novel? How would the novel be different if an alternate point of view were used?
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)