|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marguerite refuse to do near the end of Part 1, Chapter 1?
2. What does the sight of Marcelo's countrymen mobilizing revive in Marcelo?
3. When does Julius believe the war will begin?
4. Who is forced to stay with the Desnoyers family in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. What shocks Marcelo at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
2. How does Marcelo's view of the war change in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. Why do Marguerite and Julio leave the garden at the end of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what happens as they leave?
4. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
5. Why does Marcelo feel guilty and envious in Part 2, Chapter 1?
6. Describe Julio and Argensola's neighbors.
7. How does Julio meet Marguerite, what happens, and how does Marcelo feel about the situation?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
9. What are Julius' opinions about the pending war?
10. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the tension within Marcelo's family parallel the tension between Germany and France? How is this demonstrated, and which characters serve as examples of this?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, concluding with the resolution of the foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Julio Desnoyers' character develops throughout the novel. What events elicit changes in Julio's character, and in what ways?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)