|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Julio's cousin come to France?
2. When does Julius believe the war will begin?
3. Why does Marcelo leave Paris?
4. What does Julio feel depressed about in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. Who does Madriaga hire as an accountant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what do Luisa and Elena pray for, and how does Marcelo feel about this?
3. Describe Julio and Argensola's neighbors.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 4, who visits Julio, and why?
5. Describe Madriaga.
6. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
7. Describe Julio's return to France, as detailed in Part 1, Chapter 1.
8. What are Julius' opinions about the pending war?
9. How does the war progress at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
10. What is Argensola's problem at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does he resolve it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Julio and Marguerite affect the story's plot? How would the novel be different if Marguerite had not ended their affair?
Essay Topic 2
How does Marcelo Desnoyers change throughout the novel? Detail the changes that he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
Essay Topic 3
How does the novel's point of view enhance and inhibit the novel? How would the novel be different if an alternate point of view were used?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)