|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Julio and Argensola's Russian neighbor?
2. What does Madriaga give Marcelo permission to do?
3. Why does Marguerite train in Part 2, Chapter 2?
4. Why is Argensola unable to stockpile food and drink?
5. What prevents the fulfillment of Marcelo's wish in Part 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Arc de Triomphe?
2. Why does Marcelo decide to leave Madriaga's ranch, and how does Madriaga react?
3. Describe Marcelo's journey to his castle in the country.
4. Describe Madriaga.
5. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
6. Why does Marcelo leave France, according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
7. Explain the Biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5.
8. When Julio laments not being required to go to war, what does Argensola do?
9. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
10. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the lives of the characters change due to the war?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
Essay Topic 3
What do the events of the novel suggest about the morality and affects of war?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)