|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marcelo go after leaving France?
2. Where does the Desnoyers family move halfway through Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. Why does Julio leave France?
4. Who does Marguerite accompany to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2?
5. What colors do the French wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
2. How does Marcelo's view of the war change in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 4, who visits Julio, and why?
4. How does Madriaga die and who inherits his property?
5. What is the significance of the Arc de Triomphe?
6. What does Marcelo find when he arrives at his castle in Part 2, Chapter 3?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what do Luisa and Elena pray for, and how does Marcelo feel about this?
8. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
9. When Julio laments not being required to go to war, what does Argensola do?
10. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Julio Desnoyers' character develops throughout the novel. What events elicit changes in Julio's character, and in what ways?
Essay Topic 2
How are Germany and France characterized as nations? Compare and contrast the actions of these two nations.
Essay Topic 3
How does the tension within Marcelo's family parallel the tension between Germany and France? How is this demonstrated, and which characters serve as examples of this?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)