|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marcelo wish in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. Who is Julio's roommate?
3. Who declares war on Russia?
4. Who has no concern for humanity, according to Tchernoff?
5. What does Marcelo begin to collect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
2. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
3. When Julio laments not being required to go to war, what does Argensola do?
4. What is Argensola's problem at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does he resolve it?
5. What does Marguerite decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does this change her?
6. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
7. In Part 1, Chapter 4, who visits Julio, and why?
8. Why does Marcelo decide to leave Madriaga's ranch, and how does Madriaga react?
9. How does the war progress at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Luisa with Chichi. How are these two women different? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Investigate the title of the novel. What is the significance of the title? Provide evidence from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
How does the tension within Marcelo's family parallel the tension between Germany and France? How is this demonstrated, and which characters serve as examples of this?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)