|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marcelo move his family immediately after Madriaga's death?
2. Who hires Marcelo after he relocates?
3. What is Tchernoff's religious affiliation?
4. Why does Julio leave France?
5. What does the sight of Marcelo's countrymen mobilizing revive in Marcelo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Julius' opinions about the pending war?
2. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
3. How does the war progress at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. What does Marcelo learn in Part 2, Chapter 1 when he visits his carpenter?
5. What does Marguerite decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does this change her?
6. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
7. What is Argensola's problem at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does he resolve it?
8. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
9. How does Julio meet Marguerite, what happens, and how does Marcelo feel about the situation?
10. What do Julio and Marguerite discuss when she finally arrives in Part 1, Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" affect the novel's plot? How would the novel be altered if one or more of these characters were removed from the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What role does guilt play in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"? Which characters are affected by this motif, and what events and thoughts does it elicit?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Marcelo and Julio change throughout the novel? What events elicit these changes?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)