|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Madriaga when he dies?
2. Where does Marcelo move his family immediately after Madriaga's death?
3. Whose acquaintance does Argensola make while Julio is in Argentina?
4. Who teaches Marcelo a lot in Part 1, Chapter 2?
5. What shocks Marcelo at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcelo learn in Part 2, Chapter 1 when he visits his carpenter?
2. How does Marcelo's view of the war change in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. What is the significance of the Arc de Triomphe?
4. Describe Julio's relationship with Argensola.
5. Why do Marguerite and Julio leave the garden at the end of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what happens as they leave?
6. How does Madriaga die and who inherits his property?
7. How does the war progress at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
8. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
9. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
10. Describe Julio's return to France, as detailed in Part 1, Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the novel's point of view enhance and inhibit the novel? How would the novel be different if an alternate point of view were used?
Essay Topic 2
What do the events of the novel suggest about the morality and affects of war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Julio Desnoyers' character develops throughout the novel. What events elicit changes in Julio's character, and in what ways?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)