|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marcelo walk down the street his son lives on?
2. Why does Marcelo take the women of his family south?
3. Who do Luisa and Elena pray for at church in Part 2, Chapter 3?
4. What does the sight of Marcelo's countrymen mobilizing revive in Marcelo?
5. How does Marguerite feel about her studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcelo learn in Part 2, Chapter 1 when he visits his carpenter?
2. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
3. What happens to Rene in Part 3, Chapter 4?
4. Describe Marcelo's return to Paris in Part 2, Chapter 6.
5. How does Luisa and Elena's relationship change in Part 3, Chapter 1, and why?
6. What are Commandant Blumhardt's actions in Part 2, Chapter 5?
7. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
8. Why does Julio return to Paris in Part 3, Chapter 4, and what happens during his stay?
9. Why do Marguerite and Julio leave the garden at the end of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what happens as they leave?
10. What does Marguerite say about her feelings and her relationship with Julio at the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
Investigate the title of the novel. What is the significance of the title? Provide evidence from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
What role does guilt play in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"? Which characters are affected by this motif, and what events and thoughts does it elicit?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the main themes (love, family, war) in this novel and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the plot of the novel? How does it affect the various characters in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)