|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julio feel depressed about in Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. Who visits Julio's studio in Part 1, Chapter 4?
3. Why does Julius visit Julio?
4. Why is Argensola unable to stockpile food and drink?
5. How old is Madriaga when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
2. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
3. Why does Marcelo feel guilty and envious in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
5. Explain the Biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5.
6. How does Julio meet Marguerite, what happens, and how does Marcelo feel about the situation?
7. How does Marcelo's view of the war change in Part 2, Chapter 1?
8. What does Marguerite decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does this change her?
9. How does the war progress at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
10. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the events of the novel suggest about the morality and affects of war?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the main themes (love, family, war) in this novel and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the plot of the novel? How does it affect the various characters in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)