|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose acquaintance does Argensola make while Julio is in Argentina?
2. On whom does Argensola base his argument that there is no pure German culture?
3. Where does Julio go at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1?
4. What does Madriaga give Marcelo permission to do?
5. What prevents the fulfillment of Marcelo's wish in Part 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcelo think about while sitting by his son's grave?
2. Why does Marcelo decide to leave Madriaga's ranch, and how does Madriaga react?
3. What does Marguerite say about her feelings and her relationship with Julio at the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
4. Who does Marcelo become friends with in Part 3, Chapter 2, and what alters their friendship?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 4, who visits Julio, and why?
6. What does Marguerite decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does this change her?
7. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
8. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
9. Describe Madriaga.
10. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
Essay Topic 1
How do the lives of the characters change due to the war?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty?
Essay Topic 3
Investigate the title of the novel. What is the significance of the title? Provide evidence from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)