|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Julio and Argensola's Russian neighbor?
2. What does Marguerite train to become in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. What about Elena annoys Marcelo in Part 2, Chapter 3?
4. What does Marcelo buy to house his collection?
5. What does Marcelo wish in Part 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
2. How does Marcelo's view of the war change in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. How does the war progress at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. What does Marcelo learn in Part 2, Chapter 1 when he visits his carpenter?
5. Explain the Biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5.
6. Describe Julio's return to France, as detailed in Part 1, Chapter 1.
7. Why do Marguerite and Julio leave the garden at the end of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what happens as they leave?
8. Describe Madriaga.
9. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
10. Describe Marcelo's journey to his castle in the country.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Germany and France characterized as nations? Compare and contrast the actions of these two nations.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty?
Essay Topic 3
Investigate the title of the novel. What is the significance of the title? Provide evidence from the novel to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)