|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What orders are received at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. Who gives Argensola supplies?
3. Who declares war on Russia?
4. Who does Madriaga hire as an accountant?
5. Why does Julius visit Julio?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 4, who visits Julio, and why?
2. Explain the Biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5.
3. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
4. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
5. What is the significance of the Arc de Triomphe?
6. What do Julio and Marguerite discuss when she finally arrives in Part 1, Chapter 1?
7. When Julio laments not being required to go to war, what does Argensola do?
8. Describe Marcelo's journey to his castle in the country.
9. What are Julius' opinions about the pending war?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what do Luisa and Elena pray for, and how does Marcelo feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty?
Essay Topic 2
How do the lives of the characters change due to the war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Julio Desnoyers' character develops throughout the novel. What events elicit changes in Julio's character, and in what ways?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)