|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madriaga spoil?
2. What makes Marcelo feel ashamed in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. What colors do the French wear?
4. What does Death carry in Tchernoff's story?
5. How old is Madriaga when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcelo leave France, according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. Why does Julio return to Paris in Part 3, Chapter 4, and what happens during his stay?
3. Describe Julio's return to France, as detailed in Part 1, Chapter 1.
4. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. What happens to Rene in Part 3, Chapter 4?
6. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what do Luisa and Elena pray for, and how does Marcelo feel about this?
8. When Julio laments not being required to go to war, what does Argensola do?
9. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
10. What does Marcelo learn in Part 2, Chapter 1 when he visits his carpenter?
Essay Topic 1
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
Essay Topic 2
How do the minor characters in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" affect the novel's plot? How would the novel be altered if one or more of these characters were removed from the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does the novel's point of view enhance and inhibit the novel? How would the novel be different if an alternate point of view were used?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)