|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Julio begin an affair with in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. What does Marcelo decide to do immediately after Madriaga's death?
3. How old is Madriaga when he dies?
4. Besides his daughters and their spouses, who does Madriaga leave his estate to?
5. In Tchernoff's story, who rides a white horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does this change her?
2. Describe Marcelo's journey to his castle in the country.
3. How does the war progress at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. Describe Madriaga.
6. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
7. Why does Marcelo leave France, according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
8. Describe Julio's relationship with Argensola.
9. When Julio laments not being required to go to war, what does Argensola do?
10. How does Madriaga die and who inherits his property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty?
Essay Topic 2
How do the lives of the characters change due to the war?
Essay Topic 3
How are Germany and France characterized as nations? Compare and contrast the actions of these two nations.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)