|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marcelo go after leaving France?
2. Why does Marcelo decide to go to the country in Part 2, Chapter 3?
3. Who does Madriaga hire as an accountant?
4. Who teaches Marcelo a lot in Part 1, Chapter 2?
5. How old is Madriaga when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcelo decide to leave Madriaga's ranch, and how does Madriaga react?
2. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what do Luisa and Elena pray for, and how does Marcelo feel about this?
4. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
5. Describe Julio's return to France, as detailed in Part 1, Chapter 1.
6. Why does Marcelo leave France, according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
7. What does Marcelo find when he arrives at his castle in Part 2, Chapter 3?
8. Why do Marguerite and Julio leave the garden at the end of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what happens as they leave?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 4, who visits Julio, and why?
10. Describe Julio's relationship with Argensola.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the events of the novel suggest about the morality and affects of war?
Essay Topic 2
How does the tension within Marcelo's family parallel the tension between Germany and France? How is this demonstrated, and which characters serve as examples of this?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Julio and Marcelo.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)