|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why aren't Julio and Argensola required to join the military?
2. Besides his daughters and their spouses, who does Madriaga leave his estate to?
3. Why does Julio leave France?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what has been confiscated from Marcelo for the war effort?
5. Why does Marcelo leave Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
2. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
3. What does Marcelo find when he arrives at his castle in Part 2, Chapter 3?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what do Luisa and Elena pray for, and how does Marcelo feel about this?
5. Describe Julio's return to France, as detailed in Part 1, Chapter 1.
6. Describe Madriaga.
7. Explain the Biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5.
8. What are Julius' opinions about the pending war?
9. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
10. Why do Marguerite and Julio leave the garden at the end of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what happens as they leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes (love, family, war) in this novel and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the plot of the novel? How does it affect the various characters in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters in this novel serve as the protagonist(s) and antagonist(s)? What events and/or characteristics cause these characters to be labeled as such?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)