|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Julio's roommate?
2. Whose acquaintance does Argensola make while Julio is in Argentina?
3. How does Marguerite feel about her studies?
4. Whose home does Marcelo visit in Part 2, Chapter 1?
5. Who does Julius believe is the supreme race?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
2. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
3. Why does Marcelo leave France, according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. What do Julio and Marguerite discuss when she finally arrives in Part 1, Chapter 1?
5. What is Argensola's problem at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does he resolve it?
6. Why does Marcelo decide to leave Madriaga's ranch, and how does Madriaga react?
7. Why does Marcelo feel guilty and envious in Part 2, Chapter 1?
8. What are Julius' opinions about the pending war?
9. Describe Madriaga.
10. What does Marguerite decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does this change her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in this novel? Which characters demonstrate their religious beliefs, and how?
Essay Topic 2
How are Germany and France characterized as nations? Compare and contrast the actions of these two nations.
Essay Topic 3
How does Marcelo Desnoyers change throughout the novel? Detail the changes that he makes and the reasons behind those changes.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)