|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chichi often practice in front of the mirror?
2. On whom does Argensola base his argument that there is no pure German culture?
3. What does Marcelo decide to do immediately after Madriaga's death?
4. Who does Madriaga spoil?
5. What about Elena annoys Marcelo in Part 2, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marcelo's dinner with the Count in Part 2, Chapter 5.
2. What is the importance of the battle of the Marne?
3. Describe Madriaga.
4. What are Julius' opinions about the pending war?
5. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
6. What is Argensola's argument against Julius' beliefs, and how does Julius rebut?
7. Describe Marcelo's return to Paris in Part 2, Chapter 6.
8. What happens to Marcelo's castle at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
9. Describe Chichi's actions at the end of Part 3, Chapter 1.
10. Who does Julio find Marguerite with, and what does she confess about this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the events of the novel suggest about the morality and affects of war?
Essay Topic 2
Investigate the title of the novel. What is the significance of the title? Provide evidence from the novel to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)