|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marguerite train in Part 2, Chapter 2?
2. Where has Julio recently returned from in Part 1, Chapter 1?
3. What shocks Marcelo at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. Who has no concern for humanity, according to Tchernoff?
5. Why is Julio not required to fight in the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcelo leave France, according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. Why does Marguerite go to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what happens there?
3. How does the war progress at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. How does Marcelo's view of the war change in Part 2, Chapter 1?
5. How does Julio meet Marguerite, what happens, and how does Marcelo feel about the situation?
6. Why does Marcelo decide to leave Madriaga's ranch, and how does Madriaga react?
7. Describe Madriaga.
8. Describe Julio and Argensola's neighbors.
9. Why does Marcelo feel guilty and envious in Part 2, Chapter 1?
10. When Julio and Argensola meet their neighbor in the streets, what does Tchernoff say about the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols (Marcelo's castle, Julio's studio, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent specific concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to highlight certain concepts, including which concepts they emphasize.
Essay Topic 3
How does the tension within Marcelo's family parallel the tension between Germany and France? How is this demonstrated, and which characters serve as examples of this?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)