|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is the captain of the boat on which Julio returns to France?
2. How does Madriaga treat Karl and Elena's children?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 1, what do rumors abound about?
4. Who do Julio and Argensola encounter on the streets in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. Who does Marcelo find at his castle in Part 2, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
2. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
4. Describe Marcelo's journey to his castle in the country.
5. Why does Marcelo leave France, according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
6. What does Marcelo learn in Part 2, Chapter 1 when he visits his carpenter?
7. What is Argensola's argument against Julius' beliefs, and how does Julius rebut?
8. What do Julio and Marguerite discuss when she finally arrives in Part 1, Chapter 1?
9. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
10. What does Marcelo find when he arrives at his castle in Part 2, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of wealth in this novel? What events are driven by wealth and poverty?
Essay Topic 2
What role does guilt play in "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse"? Which characters are affected by this motif, and what events and thoughts does it elicit?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Julio Desnoyers' character develops throughout the novel. What events elicit changes in Julio's character, and in what ways?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)