|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 6, why do the Germans cut holes into the fence?
(a) To spy through.
(b) To further destroy Marcelo's castle.
(c) For amusement.
(d) To make room for their rifles.
2. What labor is Marcelo forced to do on the second day in Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) Dig a grave.
(b) Clean his entire castle.
(c) Cook dinner for the Germans.
(d) Cut holes in his fence.
3. Why does Tchernoff believe that the Germans will win the war?
(a) Because they lack humanity.
(b) Because they are smarter than the French.
(c) Because they have super powers.
(d) Because they are the superior race.
4. How does Marcelo feel as he leaves his castle?
(a) Relieved that he is still alive.
(b) Unsure if he can ever return.
(c) Happy it is still standing.
(d) Eager to visit his son.
5. Why does the atmosphere change near the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) A woman walks by.
(b) Julio gets shot.
(c) Julio and Marcelo begin to argue.
(d) Enemy begins to fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Julio unexpectedly encounter during his journey in Part 2, Chapter 4?
2. Who arranges for Julio to convalesce in Paris for two weeks?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Marcelo realize about his son?
4. To what post is Rene assigned in Part 3, Chapter 1?
5. Who does Julio believe was wounded in the war when he learns about Marguerite's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it difficult for the party in Part 3, Chapter 5 to find Julio's grave?
2. At the end of Part 3, Chapter 2, what does Senator Lacour offer Marcelo, and how does Marcelo react?
3. Describe Chichi's actions at the end of Part 3, Chapter 1.
4. What is the importance of the battle of the Marne?
5. Why does Marcelo visit Julio's studio in Part 3, Chapter 2?
6. Describe Marcelo and Senator Lacour's journey to see Julio after visiting Rene.
7. What happens in Part 3, Chapter 1 when Luisa visits Argensola?
8. What happens to Rene in Part 3, Chapter 4?
9. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Julio learn about Marguerite?
10. Who does Julio find Marguerite with, and what does she confess about this person?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)