|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Marcelo and Tchernoff disagree about in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Whether Julio will die at war.
(b) What to order for dinner.
(c) Which one should be with Marguerite.
(d) How long the war will take.
2. Who arrives and requests to speak to Marcelo in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) The Count.
(b) The General.
(c) The Keeper.
(d) Otto von Hartrott.
3. Who does Marcelo see downtown in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Luisa and her lover.
(b) Marguerite and her husband.
(c) Julio and Marguerite.
(d) Argensola and Chichi.
4. What does Marguerite do when she sees Julio on the street in Part 3, Chapter 4?
(a) Run away.
(b) She does not notice Julio in Part 3, Chapter 4.
(c) Begin to cry.
(d) Stop and watch him walk away.
5. Who arranges for Julio to convalesce in Paris for two weeks?
(c) Senator Lacour.
(d) Karl von Hartrott.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luisa explicitly wish near the end of Part 3, Chapter 5?
2. Why does the atmosphere change near the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
3. Who finally finds what the group is looking for in Part 3, Chapter 5?
4. Who does Marcelo argue with in Part 3, Chapter 1?
5. When does Marcelo's family return home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Germans repay Marcelo and the Keeper's hospitality in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. Describe Marcelo's return to Paris in Part 2, Chapter 6.
3. What are Commandant Blumhardt's actions in Part 2, Chapter 5?
4. How does Marcelo feel at the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
5. Describe Marcelo and Senator Lacour's journey to see Julio after visiting Rene.
6. Describe Chichi's actions at the end of Part 3, Chapter 1.
7. Who does Marcelo become friends with in Part 3, Chapter 2, and what alters their friendship?
8. What is the importance of the battle of the Marne?
9. What happens to Marcelo's castle at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
10. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Marcelo see, and what does he learn about this person?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)