|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Julio's cousin come to France?
(a) He does not come to France.
(b) To join the French army.
(c) To sightsee.
(d) To visit his mother.
2. What prevents the fulfillment of Marcelo's wish in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) He is sterile.
(b) He is too old.
(d) Marcelo receives his wish.
3. Whose acquaintance does Argensola make while Julio is in Argentina?
(a) Their neighbors'.
(b) Julius von Hartrott's.
4. What does Marguerite allow Julio to do?
(a) Hold her hands.
(b) Kiss her.
(c) Marry her immediately.
(d) Take her home.
5. Why does Marcelo take the women of his family south?
(a) To allow them a vacation.
(b) He takes them north, not south.
(c) To get them away from him.
(d) To get them away from the advancing forces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julio want to do more than anything?
2. What does Madriaga do when Karl asks to marry Elena?
3. What does Karl von Hartrott invest in in Germany?
4. What does Marcelo begin to collect?
5. Who hires Marcelo after he relocates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcelo feel guilty and envious in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. Explain the Biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5.
3. Describe Julio's relationship with Argensola.
4. What is Argensola's problem at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does he resolve it?
5. Why does Marcelo take his family to visit the von Hartrott family in Germany?
6. Describe Marcelo's journey to his castle in the country.
7. Describe Julio and Argensola's neighbors.
8. Describe Madriaga.
9. What does Marguerite decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does this change her?
10. What do Julio and Marguerite discuss when she finally arrives in Part 1, Chapter 1?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)