|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tchernoff worry about the Germans destroying?
(b) The Arc de Triomphe.
(c) Julio's studio.
(d) Marcelo's castle.
2. Why does Marguerite train in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) To get married.
(b) To serve her country.
(c) To help children.
(d) To become rich.
3. Who does Marguerite see at the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Her brother.
(d) Her husband.
4. What orders are received at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Withdrawal of troops.
(b) Mobilization of the French forces.
(c) A steak dinner.
(d) Orders are received later in the book.
5. Why does Marcelo take the women of his family south?
(a) To get them away from the advancing forces.
(b) He takes them north, not south.
(c) To allow them a vacation.
(d) To get them away from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Death carry in Tchernoff's story?
2. How long does Julius think the war will last?
3. Where does Julio go at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1?
4. Where does Dona Luisa spend much time?
5. Where has Julio recently returned from in Part 1, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marcelo assuage his hunger in Part 2, Chapter 6?
2. Describe Marcelo's journey to his castle in the country.
3. What is Argensola's argument against Julius' beliefs, and how does Julius rebut?
4. Who does Marcelo become friends with in Part 3, Chapter 2, and what alters their friendship?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 2, who does Marcelo see, and what does he learn about this person?
6. What is the significance of Pau, and how does this city make Julio feel?
7. Why does Marcelo leave France, according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
8. What is Argensola's problem at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2, and how does he resolve it?
9. What happens to Marcelo's castle at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)