|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who teaches Marcelo a lot in Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. Why does Marcelo take his family to Berlin?
(a) To visit the von Hartrotts.
(b) To escape the upcoming war.
(c) To go to Madriaga's funeral.
(d) Marcelo does not take his family to Berlin.
3. What is Julio unable to do at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Marry Chichi.
(b) Cash the check he brought back from Argentina.
(c) Return to France.
(d) Become a soldier.
4. Who commits suicide at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5?
(b) The German woman who lives next door to Julio and Argensola.
5. Whose acquaintance does Argensola make while Julio is in Argentina?
(a) Julius von Hartrott's.
(b) Their neighbors'.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the neighbor that Marcelo befriends?
2. Who is Julio's roommate?
3. On whom does Argensola base his argument that there is no pure German culture?
4. What about Elena annoys Marcelo in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. Where does Julio go at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Julio is doing at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1, and what he has recently done.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo do during the day, and how does it make him feel?
3. Explain the Biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5.
4. How is Luisa scandalized by her daughter's behavior in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. Why does Marcelo leave France, according to Part 1, Chapter 2?
6. What is Argensola's argument against Julius' beliefs, and how does Julius rebut?
7. Describe Marcelo's journey to his castle in the country.
8. Describe Madriaga.
9. How does Julio meet Marguerite, what happens, and how does Marcelo feel about the situation?
10. What happens when Karl von Hartrott returns to Germany with his family?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)