|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Keeper's daughter at the end of Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) She is violated.
(b) She is kidnapped.
(c) She is killed.
(d) She is lost.
2. What does Luisa explicitly wish near the end of Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) That Julio had not died.
(b) That they had never moved to Paris.
(c) That she had never met Marcelo.
(d) That her father was still alive.
3. How does Argensola feel about his dinners with Marcelo?
(a) Finds them informative.
(b) Finds them boring.
(c) Marcelo never invites Argensola to dinner.
(d) Finds them fascinating.
4. What turns the tide of the war and helps Paris escape certain invasion?
(a) Battle of the Arc de Triomphe.
(b) Battle of the Rhine.
(c) Battle of the Marne.
(d) Marcelo's ordeal with the Germans at his castle.
5. What feeling overcomes Marcelo at the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) The feeling that no one would dare kill his son.
(b) The feeling that his son has become a man.
(c) The feeling that he should get out of the area immediately.
(d) The feeling that his wife is leaving him for another man.
6. What appendage does Rene lose in the war?
(a) A foot.
(b) A hand.
(c) A leg.
(d) An arm.
7. Who does Luisa begin visiting in Part 3, Chapter 1?
8. Who does Julio believe was wounded in the war when he learns about Marguerite's situation?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her brother.
(d) Marguerite herself.
9. Who does Blumhardt continually watch in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) The Keeper.
(c) The Keeper's daughter.
10. What do Marcelo and Tchernoff disagree about in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Which one should be with Marguerite.
(b) How long the war will take.
(c) What to order for dinner.
(d) Whether Julio will die at war.
11. How does Marcelo feel as he leaves his castle?
(a) Unsure if he can ever return.
(b) Relieved that he is still alive.
(c) Eager to visit his son.
(d) Happy it is still standing.
12. When does Marcelo's family return home?
(a) Beginning of November.
(b) End of November.
(c) End of October.
(d) Beginning of October.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 6, why do the Germans cut holes into the fence?
(a) To make room for their rifles.
(b) For amusement.
(c) To spy through.
(d) To further destroy Marcelo's castle.
14. Why does Marcelo go to Julio's studio in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Because Luisa kicks him out of their house.
(b) To pay the rent.
(c) To pack Julio's things.
(d) To be close to Julio's things.
15. In Part 2, Chapter 4, who is Marguerite's patient?
(a) Her husband.
(c) Her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recounts Julio's war stories in Part 3, Chapter 1?
2. Who do Marcelo and his companion visit first in Part 3, Chapter 3?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do the soldiers use to make their homes?
4. Who arrives and requests to speak to Marcelo in Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 1, what division is Rene transferred to?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)