|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marcelo stop going to the studio as much toward the end of Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Because Marcelo cannot afford transportation for the visit.
(b) Because Luisa suspects him of having an affair.
(c) Because Tchernoff claims the Germans will be victorious.
(d) Because Argensola asks him to never return.
2. What news does Senator Lacour deliver to Marcelo at the end of Part 3, Chapter 4?
(a) Julio has fled the country.
(b) Julio has been injured.
(c) Julio is dead.
(d) Rene will never marry Chichi.
3. What appendage does Rene lose in the war?
(a) A hand.
(b) A foot.
(c) A leg.
(d) An arm.
4. In Part 3, Chapter 2, what do Marcelo and Argensola discuss?
(a) The war.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Marcelo realize about his son?
(a) Julio is now a man.
(b) Julio is already married.
(c) Julio will never change.
(d) Julio is going to die soon.
6. Why can't Marcelo go to Julio near the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Marcelo does go to Julio.
(b) Julio is at an advanced site that is not safe for visitors.
(c) Julio does not want his father to know exactly where he is.
(d) Julio is hiding and no one can find him.
7. Where does Marcelo find refuge in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) The Keeper's home.
(b) His castle.
(d) With the mayor of the village.
8. Who is the soldier that visits Marcelo at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
(b) Otto von Hartrott.
(c) Marguerite's husband.
9. What does Julio offer to do to change Marguerite's mind toward the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Kill her husband.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Marry her immediately.
(d) Give her many children.
10. What happens to the Keeper's daughter at the end of Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) She is violated.
(b) She is killed.
(c) She is kidnapped.
(d) She is lost.
11. What does the Count plan to take with him when he leaves Marcelo's castle?
(a) A portrait of Luisa.
(b) All of Marcelo's money.
(c) Luisa's furniture.
(d) Luisa, Marcelo's wife.
12. What makes it difficult to locate what the party is searching for in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) It is very small.
(b) They do not know where to begin their search.
(c) They are very tired.
(d) The writing is fading.
13. Who is Marcelo with at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 3?
(b) Senator Lacour.
14. How does Marcelo feel about seeing his son near the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
15. Why does Julio travel in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To help his father defend his castle.
(b) To see Marguerite.
(c) To search for his mother.
(d) To join the military.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 6, why do the Germans cut holes into the fence?
2. Who does Luisa begin visiting in Part 3, Chapter 1?
3. What does Marcelo make a big deal about in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. Who has been sleeping in Marcelo's room in Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. Why does Marcelo go to Julio's studio in Part 3, Chapter 2?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)