|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do the soldiers use to make their homes?
(a) The trenches.
(b) Leaves and sticks.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Marcelo realize about his son?
(a) Julio will never change.
(b) Julio is going to die soon.
(c) Julio is now a man.
(d) Julio is already married.
3. What turns the tide of the war and helps Paris escape certain invasion?
(a) Battle of the Arc de Triomphe.
(b) Marcelo's ordeal with the Germans at his castle.
(c) Battle of the Marne.
(d) Battle of the Rhine.
4. Who do Marcelo and his companion visit first in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Rene Lacour.
(b) Karl von Hartrott.
(d) Senator Lacour.
5. Near the end of Part 3, Chapter 3, who are Marcelo and the senator introduced to?
(a) The general.
(b) The chief.
(c) The Count.
(d) The Keeper.
6. What do the Desnoyers learn at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 4?
(a) Julio has disappeared completely.
(b) Julio has been killed.
(c) Julio has gotten married.
(d) Julio has been wounded.
7. What is the topic of conversation Rene chooses in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) His family's history.
(d) The war.
8. Who does Julio believe was wounded in the war when he learns about Marguerite's situation?
(a) Her husband.
(c) Marguerite herself.
(d) Her brother.
9. How does Argensola view the war?
(a) As a mistake.
(b) As a game.
(c) As a waste of time.
(d) As dangerous.
10. In Part 3, Chapter 1, what division is Rene transferred to?
(a) A medical division.
(b) An artillery division.
(c) A clergical division.
(d) A clerical division.
11. How does Marcelo feel about seeing his son near the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
12. In Part 2, Chapter 6, why do the Germans cut holes into the fence?
(a) For amusement.
(b) To spy through.
(c) To further destroy Marcelo's castle.
(d) To make room for their rifles.
13. In Part 3, Chapter 2, what do Marcelo and Argensola discuss?
(b) The war.
14. Who is the soldier that visits Marcelo at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
(b) Otto von Hartrott.
(d) Marguerite's husband.
15. Why does Marcelo stop going to the studio as much toward the end of Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Because Luisa suspects him of having an affair.
(b) Because Argensola asks him to never return.
(c) Because Tchernoff claims the Germans will be victorious.
(d) Because Marcelo cannot afford transportation for the visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Count plan to take with him when he leaves Marcelo's castle?
2. Who does Luisa begin visiting in Part 3, Chapter 1?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Julio learn from a note?
4. Why does Julio travel in Part 2, Chapter 4?
5. What does Marguerite do when she sees Julio on the street in Part 3, Chapter 4?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)