|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Marcelo go to Julio near the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Marcelo does go to Julio.
(b) Julio is hiding and no one can find him.
(c) Julio is at an advanced site that is not safe for visitors.
(d) Julio does not want his father to know exactly where he is.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Julio learn from a note?
(a) That Marguerite and her mother have left Paris.
(b) That Marcelo has gone to the country.
(c) That Marguerite is ending their affair.
(d) That his mother, sister, and aunt have left Paris.
3. What makes it difficult to locate what the party is searching for in Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) The writing is fading.
(b) It is very small.
(c) They are very tired.
(d) They do not know where to begin their search.
4. What news does Senator Lacour deliver to Marcelo at the end of Part 3, Chapter 4?
(a) Julio has fled the country.
(b) Julio has been injured.
(c) Rene will never marry Chichi.
(d) Julio is dead.
5. Why does Marcelo stop going to the studio as much toward the end of Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Because Marcelo cannot afford transportation for the visit.
(b) Because Argensola asks him to never return.
(c) Because Tchernoff claims the Germans will be victorious.
(d) Because Luisa suspects him of having an affair.
6. Why must Rene go back to work in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Rene does not have to go back to work in Part 3, Chapter 3.
(b) Tired of talking to his father.
(c) Enemy opens fire.
(d) Angry at Marcelo.
7. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do the soldiers use to make their homes?
(b) Leaves and sticks.
(d) The trenches.
8. How does Argensola feel about his dinners with Marcelo?
(a) Marcelo never invites Argensola to dinner.
(b) Finds them fascinating.
(c) Finds them boring.
(d) Finds them informative.
9. Why does Julio travel in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To see Marguerite.
(b) To help his father defend his castle.
(c) To join the military.
(d) To search for his mother.
10. What turns the tide of the war and helps Paris escape certain invasion?
(a) Marcelo's ordeal with the Germans at his castle.
(b) Battle of the Rhine.
(c) Battle of the Arc de Triomphe.
(d) Battle of the Marne.
11. Who is the soldier that visits Marcelo at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
(b) Otto von Hartrott.
(c) Marguerite's husband.
12. Who do Marcelo and his companion visit first in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(b) Senator Lacour.
(c) Rene Lacour.
(d) Karl von Hartrott.
13. Who is Marcelo with at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 3?
(d) Senator Lacour.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 5, what does the Keeper bury on Marcelo's property?
(b) German soldiers.
(d) His daughter.
15. What does Luisa explicitly wish near the end of Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) That her father was still alive.
(b) That she had never met Marcelo.
(c) That Julio had not died.
(d) That they had never moved to Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chichi pray for in Part 3, Chapter 1?
2. Who spends much time at church in Part 3, Chapter 1?
3. What does Marguerite tell Julio toward the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 4, who is Marguerite's patient?
5. What labor is Marcelo forced to do on the second day in Part 2, Chapter 6?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)