|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Julio find Marguerite in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(c) His father's castle.
2. What does Marguerite do when she sees Julio on the street in Part 3, Chapter 4?
(a) Stop and watch him walk away.
(b) Begin to cry.
(c) She does not notice Julio in Part 3, Chapter 4.
(d) Run away.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 4, who is Marguerite's patient?
(b) Her brother.
(d) Her husband.
4. How is the castle roof destroyed in Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) Marcelo sets fire to his castle in order to scare the Germans away.
(b) The roof is not destroyed.
(c) Bombed by the Germans.
(d) Bombed by the French.
5. Who does Marcelo visit in Part 3, Chapter 2?
6. Who is killed at the end of Part 2, Chapter 5?
(b) The Keeper's daughter.
(c) The Count.
(d) The Keeper.
7. What does Luisa explicitly wish near the end of Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) That they had never moved to Paris.
(b) That her father was still alive.
(c) That Julio had not died.
(d) That she had never met Marcelo.
8. In Part 3, Chapter 1, what division is Rene transferred to?
(a) A clerical division.
(b) An artillery division.
(c) A clergical division.
(d) A medical division.
9. Who does Luisa begin visiting in Part 3, Chapter 1?
10. How does Marcelo feel as he leaves his castle?
(a) Eager to visit his son.
(b) Unsure if he can ever return.
(c) Relieved that he is still alive.
(d) Happy it is still standing.
11. Who is Marcelo with at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Senator Lacour.
12. How does Marcelo avoid doing labor in Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) By running away.
(b) By hiding in his castle.
(c) By bribing the German soldiers.
(d) By killing the German soldiers.
13. What is Luisa convinced of when Julio returns to the front?
(a) Her husband will be killed.
(b) Her son will get married without telling her.
(c) Her son will be killed.
(d) Her husband is cheating on her.
14. What is the topic of conversation Rene chooses in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(b) The war.
(c) His family's history.
15. Why must Rene go back to work in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Enemy opens fire.
(b) Tired of talking to his father.
(c) Angry at Marcelo.
(d) Rene does not have to go back to work in Part 3, Chapter 3.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Marcelo's family return home?
2. What is Marcelo eager to do near the end of Part 3, Chapter 5?
3. What is Marcelo's castle used for at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
4. What news does Senator Lacour deliver to Marcelo at the end of Part 3, Chapter 4?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 6, why do the Germans cut holes into the fence?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)