|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tchernoff believe that the Germans will win the war?
(a) Because they are the superior race.
(b) Because they are smarter than the French.
(c) Because they have super powers.
(d) Because they lack humanity.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 1, what division is Rene transferred to?
(a) A clergical division.
(b) A medical division.
(c) A clerical division.
(d) An artillery division.
3. What does Julio offer to do to change Marguerite's mind toward the end of Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Marry her immediately.
(b) Kill her husband.
(c) Give her many children.
(d) Join the military.
4. Who recounts Julio's war stories in Part 3, Chapter 1?
5. Who does an officer take Marcelo to see in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) The Keeper.
(b) The General.
(c) Otto von Hartrott.
6. Where does Julio go after leaving Marguerite?
(a) His father's castle.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Julio learn from a note?
(a) That Marguerite and her mother have left Paris.
(b) That Marcelo has gone to the country.
(c) That his mother, sister, and aunt have left Paris.
(d) That Marguerite is ending their affair.
8. Who arranges for Julio to convalesce in Paris for two weeks?
(b) Karl von Hartrott.
(d) Senator Lacour.
9. What is Marcelo's castle used for at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) A museum.
(b) Storing Marcelo's antiques.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A German hospital.
10. Who often joins Marcelo and Argensola's conversations in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Senator Lacour.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do the soldiers use to make their homes?
(a) The trenches.
(c) Leaves and sticks.
12. Who does Chichi pray for in Part 3, Chapter 1?
13. What is Luisa convinced of when Julio returns to the front?
(a) Her son will be killed.
(b) Her husband is cheating on her.
(c) Her son will get married without telling her.
(d) Her husband will be killed.
14. What is Marcelo eager to do near the end of Part 3, Chapter 5?
(a) Return to Argentina.
(b) Have another child.
(c) Give his son's body a proper burial.
(d) Die and join his son.
15. How does Argensola feel about his dinners with Marcelo?
(a) Marcelo never invites Argensola to dinner.
(b) Finds them boring.
(c) Finds them fascinating.
(d) Finds them informative.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 4, who is Marguerite's patient?
2. Who does Marcelo visit in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. Where is Elena going in order to travel from there to Berlin?
4. What does Marcelo do to the first French officer he sees in Part 2, Chapter 6?
5. What feeling overcomes Marcelo at the end of Part 3, Chapter 3?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)