|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Tchernoff's story, who rides a white horse?
2. What does Marcelo decide to do immediately after Madriaga's death?
(b) Have more children.
(c) Return to France.
(d) Move to the United States.
3. Who do Luisa and Elena pray for at church in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) The religious community.
(d) The soldiers.
4. How does Madriaga treat Karl and Elena's children?
(a) Refuses to acknowledge them as his grandchildren.
(b) The same as all of his other grandchildren.
(c) Karl and Elena do not have children.
(d) Spoils them completely.
5. What prevents the fulfillment of Marcelo's wish in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Marcelo receives his wish.
(c) He is sterile.
(d) He is too old.
6. Where does Marcelo move his family immediately after Madriaga's death?
(b) Buenos Aires.
7. Who is forced to stay with the Desnoyers family in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(b) Elena von Hartrott.
(d) Otto von Hartrott.
8. What is Julio unable to do at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Become a soldier.
(b) Return to France.
(c) Cash the check he brought back from Argentina.
(d) Marry Chichi.
9. What non-European nationality is represented in the people walking through the streets of Paris in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(c) North Americans.
10. Who is Julio's roommate?
11. Where does Dona Luisa spend much time?
12. What does Julio believe puts him and Argensola in a poor position?
(a) Their not being required to go to war.
(b) Their poverty.
(c) Their occupations.
(d) Their lack of wives.
13. What is Luisa's nickname?
14. Who does Julio begin an affair with in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Chichi Desnoyers.
(b) Luisa Desnoyers.
(c) Marguerite Laurier.
(d) Elena von Hartrott.
15. What does Madriaga do when Karl asks to marry Elena?
(a) Refuse politely.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Agree immediately.
(d) Pull a knife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julio feel depressed about in Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. On whom does Argensola base his argument that there is no pure German culture?
3. Why does Julio leave France?
4. How long does Marcelo's journey take in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. Who has no concern for humanity, according to Tchernoff?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)