|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madriaga give Marcelo permission to do?
(a) Drive his car.
(b) Become his manager.
(c) Marry Elena.
(d) Marry Luisa.
2. Who does Madriaga hire as an accountant?
(a) Rene Lacour.
(b) Marcelo Desnoyers.
(c) Karl von Hartrott.
(d) Julio Desnoyers.
3. What prevents the fulfillment of Marcelo's wish in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) He is sterile.
(b) He is too old.
(c) Marcelo receives his wish.
4. Who is Julio surprised to find at his parents' house?
(a) Aunt Elena.
(b) Marguerite's husband.
(c) His mother.
(d) Marguerite Laurier.
5. What does Julio feel depressed about in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) His poor ability at painting.
(c) His family.
(d) His affair with Marguerite.
6. What does Marguerite's husband own?
(b) A munitions factory.
(c) A church.
(d) A car factory.
7. Why does Marcelo decide to go to the country in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) To hide from the invading German military.
(b) To visit his friends.
(c) To further his affair with Marguerite.
(d) To personally defend his property.
8. Where does Marcelo's family want to move?
(c) North America.
9. What is Julio unable to do at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Cash the check he brought back from Argentina.
(b) Return to France.
(c) Marry Chichi.
(d) Become a soldier.
10. What does Marcelo begin to collect?
11. How does Marcelo feel toward those who are going to war or are sending their relatives to war?
12. What does Marguerite refuse to do near the end of Part 1, Chapter 1?
(a) She agrees to everything he asks.
(b) Return to her husband.
(c) Go home with Julio.
(d) Marry Julio.
13. How does Marguerite feel about her studies?
14. On whom does Argensola base his argument that there is no pure German culture?
15. What does Marcelo buy to house his collection?
(a) A castle.
(b) An island.
(c) A townhouse.
(d) A library.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Marcelo believe the war is a waste of?
2. Who does Marguerite accompany to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. What is Julio's cousin's profession?
4. Who visits Julio's studio in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of the neighbor that Marcelo befriends?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)