|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose acquaintance does Argensola make while Julio is in Argentina?
(b) Their neighbors'.
(d) Julius von Hartrott's.
2. How do Julio and Julius feel about each other?
(a) They are best friends.
(b) They fight constantly.
(c) They do not particularly like one another.
(d) They do not know each other.
3. During her studies in Part 2, Chapter 2, what does Marguerite think she should become?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) Julio's wife.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A teacher.
4. What is the topic of the biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Adam and Eve.
(b) Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
(c) Jesus Christ's life.
(d) Abraham and Isaac.
5. What does Julio want to do more than anything?
(a) Marry Marguerite.
(b) Leave France.
(c) Become a soldier.
(d) Inherit his father's castle.
6. When does Julius believe the war will begin?
(a) In several months.
(b) In a matter of days.
(d) In a year.
7. What does Marcelo hand out to the soldiers in Part 2, Chapter 3?
8. What orders are received at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Withdrawal of troops.
(b) Mobilization of the French forces.
(c) A steak dinner.
(d) Orders are received later in the book.
9. What does Marcelo decide to do immediately after Madriaga's death?
(b) Return to France.
(c) Have more children.
(d) Move to the United States.
10. What about Elena annoys Marcelo in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Her refusal to leave his home.
(b) Her strong opinions about the German side of the war.
(c) Her poverty and the fact that she expects Marcelo to provide for her.
(d) Her mentioning her father constantly.
11. What is Tchernoff's religious affiliation?
(a) He is atheist.
(b) He is Christian.
(c) He is Islamic.
(d) He is Buddhist.
12. Who is forced to stay with the Desnoyers family in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Otto von Hartrott.
(d) Elena von Hartrott.
13. Why does Marcelo walk down the street his son lives on?
(a) Because he is lost.
(b) Hoping to catch a glimpse of Julio.
(c) Because he wants to fight Argensola.
(d) To make sure that Marguerite has not returned to Julio.
14. What does Marguerite train to become in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A doctor.
15. Why does Julio leave France?
(a) To get away from his family.
(b) To avoid going to war.
(c) He never leaves France.
(d) To obtain money to marry Marguerite.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Marcelo feel ashamed in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. Why is Julio not required to fight in the war?
3. Why does Marcelo take the women of his family south?
4. What is the name of the neighbor that Marcelo befriends?
5. What is Julio's cousin's profession?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)