|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dona Luisa spend much time?
2. How does Madriaga treat Karl and Elena's children?
(a) Refuses to acknowledge them as his grandchildren.
(b) The same as all of his other grandchildren.
(c) Karl and Elena do not have children.
(d) Spoils them completely.
3. What does Marcelo wish in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) That he could fight for his country.
(b) That he had more sons to fight for France.
(c) That France was not going to war.
(d) That he had never left Argentina.
4. Who do Julio and Argensola encounter on the streets in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. What orders are received at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Mobilization of the French forces.
(b) Orders are received later in the book.
(c) Withdrawal of troops.
(d) A steak dinner.
6. During her studies in Part 2, Chapter 2, what does Marguerite think she should become?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) Julio's wife.
(d) A lawyer.
7. In Tchernoff's story, who rides a white horse?
8. What makes Marcelo feel ashamed in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) The fact that he is cheating on Luisa with Marguerite Desnoyers.
(b) The fact that he ran from his country during war when he was younger.
(c) The fact that Julio refuses to serve his country.
(d) Marcelo never feels ashamed.
9. What does Julio believe puts him and Argensola in a poor position?
(a) Their lack of wives.
(b) Their not being required to go to war.
(c) Their occupations.
(d) Their poverty.
10. How does Marguerite feel about her studies?
11. What does Julio want to do more than anything?
(a) Inherit his father's castle.
(b) Leave France.
(c) Become a soldier.
(d) Marry Marguerite.
12. Whose acquaintance does Argensola make while Julio is in Argentina?
(a) Julius von Hartrott's.
(b) Their neighbors'.
13. What is Julio's cousin's profession?
(a) University professor.
(d) Independent contractor.
14. What does Marcelo begin to collect?
15. Why does Marcelo take his family to Berlin?
(a) To escape the upcoming war.
(b) To go to Madriaga's funeral.
(c) Marcelo does not take his family to Berlin.
(d) To visit the von Hartrotts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Luisa's nickname?
2. Who is forced to stay with the Desnoyers family in Part 2, Chapter 3?
3. Who is Julio surprised to find at his parents' house?
4. What does Marguerite's husband own?
5. What does the sight of Marcelo's countrymen mobilizing revive in Marcelo?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)