|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the neighbor that Marcelo befriends?
(a) Karl von Hartrott.
(c) Senator Lacour.
2. Why does Argensola quit the legion of Spanish and South American volunteers that he forms?
(a) Fight with Julio.
(b) No desire to go to war.
(c) Too much competition among the members to be captain.
(d) He decides to return to his homeland.
3. Who commits suicide at the end of Part 1, Chapter 5?
(c) The German woman who lives next door to Julio and Argensola.
4. How long does Marcelo's journey take in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 14 hours.
(d) 2 days.
5. Who gives Argensola supplies?
(a) Senator Lacour.
(b) Julio Desnoyers.
(c) Marcelo Desnoyers.
(d) Dona Luisa Desnoyers.
6. What does Julio want money for in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) To buy a present for Argensola's birthday.
(b) To marry Marguerite.
(c) To buy food.
(d) To brag to Rene Lacour.
7. What orders are received at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Withdrawal of troops.
(b) Mobilization of the French forces.
(c) A steak dinner.
(d) Orders are received later in the book.
8. Why does Marcelo take the women of his family south?
(a) He takes them north, not south.
(b) To get them away from him.
(c) To get them away from the advancing forces.
(d) To allow them a vacation.
9. What is the topic of the biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
(b) Adam and Eve.
(c) Abraham and Isaac.
(d) Jesus Christ's life.
10. How does Marguerite feel about her studies?
11. What nationality is the captain of the boat on which Julio returns to France?
12. Who does Madriaga spoil?
(a) Marcelo Desnoyers.
(b) Julius von Hartrott.
(c) Karl von Hartrott.
(d) Julio Desnoyers.
13. Whose home does Marcelo visit in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Karl von Hartrott's.
(b) Senator Lacour's.
(d) A carpenter's.
14. How does Madriaga treat Karl and Elena's children?
(a) Spoils them completely.
(b) Karl and Elena do not have children.
(c) Refuses to acknowledge them as his grandchildren.
(d) The same as all of his other grandchildren.
15. What does Julio want to do more than anything?
(a) Marry Marguerite.
(b) Become a soldier.
(c) Inherit his father's castle.
(d) Leave France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color uniforms do the Germans wear?
2. Who is Julio surprised to find at his parents' house?
3. What does Madriaga do when Karl asks to marry Elena?
4. Why aren't Julio and Argensola required to join the military?
5. What does Marguerite refuse to do near the end of Part 1, Chapter 1?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)