|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madriaga do when Karl asks to marry Elena?
(a) Agree immediately.
(b) Refuse politely.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Pull a knife.
2. What does Julio want to do more than anything?
(a) Inherit his father's castle.
(b) Marry Marguerite.
(c) Leave France.
(d) Become a soldier.
3. What makes Marcelo feel ashamed in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Marcelo never feels ashamed.
(b) The fact that he ran from his country during war when he was younger.
(c) The fact that he is cheating on Luisa with Marguerite Desnoyers.
(d) The fact that Julio refuses to serve his country.
4. What is the name of Julio and Argensola's Russian neighbor?
5. What is the topic of the biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Abraham and Isaac.
(b) Adam and Eve.
(c) Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
(d) Jesus Christ's life.
6. What is Tchernoff's religious affiliation?
(a) He is Islamic.
(b) He is atheist.
(c) He is Buddhist.
(d) He is Christian.
7. How long does Julius think the war will last?
(a) Four years.
(b) Five months.
(c) Four months.
(d) Four days.
8. When does Julius believe the war will begin?
(b) In a matter of days.
(c) In several months.
(d) In a year.
9. What does Death carry in Tchernoff's story?
(a) A bow.
(b) A sickle.
(c) A sword.
(d) A scale.
10. Why is Argensola unable to stockpile food and drink?
(a) He is bedridden.
(b) He does not want to stockpile food and drink.
(c) The store was destroyed.
(d) He has no money.
11. What does Marcelo buy to house his collection?
(a) An island.
(b) A townhouse.
(c) A library.
(d) A castle.
12. What shocks Marcelo at the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Julio joining the French militia.
(b) The sight of his countrymen mobilizing.
(c) His son's affair with Marguerite.
(d) Madriaga's death.
13. What does Tchernoff worry about the Germans destroying?
(a) Julio's studio.
(c) Marcelo's castle.
(d) The Arc de Triomphe.
14. How old is Madriaga when he dies?
15. How do Julio and Julius feel about each other?
(a) They fight constantly.
(b) They do not know each other.
(c) They are best friends.
(d) They do not particularly like one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl von Hartrott invest in in Germany?
2. Who does Marcelo find at his castle in Part 2, Chapter 3?
3. What does Julio believe puts him and Argensola in a poor position?
4. Who does Julius believe is the supreme race?
5. What orders are received at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 5?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)