|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Marcelo feel ashamed in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) The fact that Julio refuses to serve his country.
(b) Marcelo never feels ashamed.
(c) The fact that he is cheating on Luisa with Marguerite Desnoyers.
(d) The fact that he ran from his country during war when he was younger.
2. Who does Marguerite accompany to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Her brother.
(d) Her husband.
3. Besides his daughters and their spouses, who does Madriaga leave his estate to?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brothers and sisters.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His illegitimate children.
4. What does Tchernoff worry about the Germans destroying?
(a) The Arc de Triomphe.
(b) Marcelo's castle.
(d) Julio's studio.
5. Why does Marcelo decide to go to the country in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) To visit his friends.
(b) To personally defend his property.
(c) To further his affair with Marguerite.
(d) To hide from the invading German military.
6. Why does Julio leave France?
(a) To avoid going to war.
(b) He never leaves France.
(c) To obtain money to marry Marguerite.
(d) To get away from his family.
7. How old is Madriaga when he dies?
8. What does the sight of Marcelo's countrymen mobilizing revive in Marcelo?
(a) Paternal instinct.
(b) Anger at his country.
(c) Love for his wife.
9. What does Madriaga give Marcelo permission to do?
(a) Drive his car.
(b) Become his manager.
(c) Marry Elena.
(d) Marry Luisa.
10. Why does Marguerite train in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) To get married.
(b) To become rich.
(c) To serve her country.
(d) To help children.
11. Where does Marcelo go after leaving France?
(b) North America.
12. What is Luisa's nickname?
13. What colors do the French wear?
(c) Blue and red.
14. What is the topic of the biblical passage that Tchernoff quotes in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Abraham and Isaac.
(b) Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Jesus Christ's life.
15. How long does Julius think the war will last?
(a) Four years.
(b) Four days.
(c) Five months.
(d) Four months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marguerite see at the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2?
2. What is the name of Julio and Argensola's Russian neighbor?
3. Where does Julio go at the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 1?
4. Why does Julio's cousin come to France?
5. Who does Marcelo find at his castle in Part 2, Chapter 3?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)