|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about Elena annoys Marcelo in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Her strong opinions about the German side of the war.
(b) Her refusal to leave his home.
(c) Her poverty and the fact that she expects Marcelo to provide for her.
(d) Her mentioning her father constantly.
2. Who gives Argensola supplies?
(a) Senator Lacour.
(b) Dona Luisa Desnoyers.
(c) Julio Desnoyers.
(d) Marcelo Desnoyers.
3. What does Julio feel depressed about in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) His poor ability at painting.
(b) His affair with Marguerite.
(d) His family.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what has been confiscated from Marcelo for the war effort?
(a) His money.
(b) His animals.
(c) His servants.
(d) His antiques.
5. What does Marguerite's husband own?
(b) A car factory.
(c) A munitions factory.
(d) A church.
6. Who has no concern for humanity, according to Tchernoff?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The French.
(c) Julio and Argensola.
(d) The Germans.
7. What does Marguerite train to become in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A soldier.
8. Why does Marcelo leave Paris?
(a) To find a wife.
(b) To make his wealth.
(c) To avoid military duty.
(d) Because his mother dies.
9. Who is assassinated in Part 1, Chapter 5?
10. What does Marcelo decide to do immediately after Madriaga's death?
(a) Move to the United States.
(b) Return to France.
(d) Have more children.
11. Who does Marguerite accompany to the rail station in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her brother.
12. What does Death carry in Tchernoff's story?
(a) A bow.
(b) A scale.
(c) A sword.
(d) A sickle.
13. Why is Argensola unable to stockpile food and drink?
(a) He does not want to stockpile food and drink.
(b) He is bedridden.
(c) The store was destroyed.
(d) He has no money.
14. Why does Marcelo decide to go to the country in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) To hide from the invading German military.
(b) To visit his friends.
(c) To personally defend his property.
(d) To further his affair with Marguerite.
15. What does Marguerite allow Julio to do?
(a) Marry her immediately.
(b) Hold her hands.
(c) Take her home.
(d) Kiss her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Julio not required to fight in the war?
2. Why does Marcelo take his family to Berlin?
3. Who hires Marcelo after he relocates?
4. What does the sight of Marcelo's countrymen mobilizing revive in Marcelo?
5. Why aren't Julio and Argensola required to join the military?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)