|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Toohey?
2. Why is Dominique jealous after the house is built?
3. How is Gail Wynand able to build the Wynand building after shutting down the "Banner"?
4. In his own defense, how does Roark contrast himself as a creator with those who preach selflessness?
5. What is Dominique's name at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Wynand begins to find some inner peace from visiting the building site of his new house. Discuss the reasons for this change in Wynand.
2. At the end of the novel, Dominique experiences a number of emotions while looking at the Wynand Building. What significance do these moments have to the story?
3. Discuss the high price Wynand puts on Peter getting the Stoneridge Homes commission.
4. In spite of his socialist tutoring from Toohey, Peter retains some sense of "I." How does Rand use Dominique to illustrate that point?
5. When Wynand presents Dominique with a diamond necklace, they have two different takes on where the money came from to pay for it. What were those points of view and what did each one mean?
6. How does Dominique use the story of the false theft of her diamond ring to take her stand for, instead of against, Roark?
7. How does the new drama critic plan to exercise power over the public?
8. Explain why Wynand does not listen to Dominique when she warns him about Toohey.
9. How does Roark's self defense at his trial sum up Rand's statement about the value of the individual over socialism?
10. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you are a book reviewer for a newspaper. Write your review and critique of "The Fountainhead."
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting the characters of Dominique and Katie. Explain how Dominique represents the Independent thinker and Katie represents the Dependent thinker.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of Rand's writing style. How does she choose vocabulary? Are her sentences short or complicated? How does she use adjectives and adverbs to describe a scene or person? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)