|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dominique discover that Roark will be the architect for her new house?
2. What is the condition for Peter's getting the Stoneridge Homes project?
3. What is the irony of Roark's going to see Wynand about designing his house?
4. How does Dominique feel about the Wynand building?
5. After Dominique returns from Reno, where are she and Wynand married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Roark can stand tall because everything he has done has been his alone and he bears the responsibility for its success or failure. How does this contrast with the attacks against Wynand's newspaper?
2. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
3. At the end of the novel, Dominique experiences a number of emotions while looking at the Wynand Building. What significance do these moments have to the story?
4. How does Roark's destruction of Cortland Homes relate to his sense of integrity?
5. Contrast Peter's situation when he goes to get help once again with Roark's willingness to take on the Cortlandt Homes project.
6. Wynand begins to find some inner peace from visiting the building site of his new house. Discuss the reasons for this change in Wynand.
7. How does the new drama critic plan to exercise power over the public?
8. What is the danger in Wynand's new found moral attitude after he comes under the influence of Roark?
9. Describe how Gail Wynand's early childhood led to his great cynicism.
10. Describe the situation when Wynand sees that he has underestimated Toohey and is in danger of losing the paper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kiki Holcombe is a follower, but not like the people Ellsworth Toohey controls. Kiki is shallow and only interested in social status. Write an essay expressing your feelings about social climbing and insincerity.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Rand tells us that Howard Roark laughs. Write an essay about his laughter and what it tells you about his character.
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)