|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does Roark place on doing the Cortlandt Homes design?
2. What is Dominique's name at the end of the novel?
3. How does Dominique continue to punish herself?
4. Peter returns to his first love. What is that?
5. After Dominique returns from Reno, where are she and Wynand married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Unlike Roark whose drive is centered on self-control and perfecting his work, Wynand is driven by revenge and breaking people who have wronged him. How does he try to dominate Roark and with what result?
2. What is the significance of Peter's going once again to Roark when he cannot come up with a design for the Cortlandt Homes project?
3. What do the reactions of Ellsworth Toohey and Alvah Scarret say about their political leanings?
4. How does the new drama critic plan to exercise power over the public?
5. How does Roark's destruction of Cortland Homes relate to his sense of integrity?
6. How does Rand use the conversation between Wynand and Roark on board the yacht to express her views on socialism?
7. How does Roark's self defense at his trial sum up Rand's statement about the value of the individual over socialism?
8. Discuss the meaning Rand places on the last meeting of Peter and Katie.
9. How does Wynand exonerate himself and regain his own integrity?
10. Wynand begins to find some inner peace from visiting the building site of his new house. Discuss the reasons for this change in Wynand.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that explains the fall of Peter Keating and the reasons for that fall.
Essay Topic 2
As the book opens, Roark is poised to dive into the ocean. He is alone on a granite cliff and looking down at the crashing waves below. What is feelings can be derived from that picture about (A) Roark, (B) the granite cliffs, (C) the water below. Describe what each of those elements means to you.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
This section contains 1,469 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)