|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Roark's commission at the end of the novel?
2. Why does Wynand drop the gun after contemplating suicide?
3. What brings about the downfall of Peter Keating's business?
4. What motivates Dominique to accept Wynand's marriage proposal?
5. Why does Wynand go often to the building site where Roark is working?
Short Essay Questions
1. Roark tells Peter that "it is I who have destroyed you." Explain what he means by that statement.
2. Discuss the meaning Rand places on the last meeting of Peter and Katie.
3. What is the significance of Peter's going once again to Roark when he cannot come up with a design for the Cortlandt Homes project?
4. What is the danger in Wynand's new found moral attitude after he comes under the influence of Roark?
5. On board the yacht, how does Rand use the setting to voice her opposition to socialism?
6. At the end of the novel, Dominique experiences a number of emotions while looking at the Wynand Building. What significance do these moments have to the story?
7. How does Dominique use the story of the false theft of her diamond ring to take her stand for, instead of against, Roark?
8. Unlike Roark whose drive is centered on self-control and perfecting his work, Wynand is driven by revenge and breaking people who have wronged him. How does he try to dominate Roark and with what result?
9. Toohey seems to be gaining the upper hand in his quest to take over the "Banner." What is the significance of the public turning against Wynand's publication?
10. Explain why Wynand does not listen to Dominique when she warns him about Toohey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Rand tells us that Howard Roark laughs. Write an essay about his laughter and what it tells you about his character.
Essay Topic 2
Kiki Holcombe is a follower, but not like the people Ellsworth Toohey controls. Kiki is shallow and only interested in social status. Write an essay expressing your feelings about social climbing and insincerity.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 11, Roark goes to the building site of the Heller house. Write an essay about how Rand shows his feelings about the house.
This section contains 1,516 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)