|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dominique and Wynand return early from their cruise, what is Peter's concern?
2. What special honor does Wynand give to Dominique?
3. How is Gail Wynand able to build the Wynand building after shutting down the "Banner"?
4. After Dominique returns from Reno, where are she and Wynand married?
5. Who works with the board of directors to save the paper?
Short Essay Questions
1. On board the yacht, how does Rand use the setting to voice her opposition to socialism?
2. Discuss the high price Wynand puts on Peter getting the Stoneridge Homes commission.
3. Discuss how Rand uses Dominique's perceptions of Wynand and Roark to distinguish between greatness and drive.
4. When Roark goes to meet with Wynand about building his house, he goes to the "Banner" planning to reject the commission. Describe how and why the meeting changes Roark's mind.
5. Unlike Roark whose drive is centered on self-control and perfecting his work, Wynand is driven by revenge and breaking people who have wronged him. How does he try to dominate Roark and with what result?
6. Contrast Peter's situation when he goes to get help once again with Roark's willingness to take on the Cortlandt Homes project.
7. Discuss how Roark's Monadnock Valley Resort is in opposition to everything Toohey stands for.
8. In spite of his socialist tutoring from Toohey, Peter retains some sense of "I." How does Rand use Dominique to illustrate that point?
9. Wynand begins to find some inner peace from visiting the building site of his new house. Discuss the reasons for this change in Wynand.
10. What do the reactions of Ellsworth Toohey and Alvah Scarret say about their political leanings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After John Eric Snyte fires Roark, he tries to get him to return to his firm. Write an essay explaining why Roark would never go back to work for him.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting the characters of Dominique and Katie. Explain how Dominique represents the Independent thinker and Katie represents the Dependent thinker.
Essay Topic 3
In no less than two handwritten pages, discuss the character of Dominique and why Francon thinks he failed her as a father.
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)