|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Toohey's motivation to have Wynand meet Dominique?
2. What does Peter discover is the real reason behind Toohey's socialist tirades?
3. Why does the new drama critic at the "Banner" promote Ike's new play that everyone says is bad?
4. Why has Toohey orchestrated attacks on the "Banner"?
5. Why is the defeat so devastating to Wynand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Peter's going once again to Roark when he cannot come up with a design for the Cortlandt Homes project?
2. Describe the situation when Wynand sees that he has underestimated Toohey and is in danger of losing the paper.
3. On board the yacht, how does Rand use the setting to voice her opposition to socialism?
4. Discuss how Roark's Monadnock Valley Resort is in opposition to everything Toohey stands for.
5. Toohey seems to be gaining the upper hand in his quest to take over the "Banner." What is the significance of the public turning against Wynand's publication?
6. Discuss the high price Wynand puts on Peter getting the Stoneridge Homes commission.
7. Unlike Roark whose drive is centered on self-control and perfecting his work, Wynand is driven by revenge and breaking people who have wronged him. How does he try to dominate Roark and with what result?
8. Contrast Peter's situation when he goes to get help once again with Roark's willingness to take on the Cortlandt Homes project.
9. Explain why Wynand does not listen to Dominique when she warns him about Toohey.
10. When Roark goes to meet with Wynand about building his house, he goes to the "Banner" planning to reject the commission. Describe how and why the meeting changes Roark's mind.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kiki Holcombe is a follower, but not like the people Ellsworth Toohey controls. Kiki is shallow and only interested in social status. Write an essay expressing your feelings about social climbing and insincerity.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting the characters of Dominique and Katie. Explain how Dominique represents the Independent thinker and Katie represents the Dependent thinker.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 11, Roark goes to the building site of the Heller house. Write an essay about how Rand shows his feelings about the house.
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)