|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, according to Roark, was Peter destroyed?
2. Who works with the board of directors to save the paper?
3. How did the "Banner" review of the play "No Skin Off Your Nose" affect its success?
4. How does Wynand react when he discovers that Dominique helped Roark destroy Cortlandt Homes?
5. What sin does Peter confess after seeing Katie again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rand's message about public opinion as Wynand loses control over the "Banner"?
2. Discuss how Roark's Monadnock Valley Resort is in opposition to everything Toohey stands for.
3. On board the yacht, how does Rand use the setting to voice her opposition to socialism?
4. When Wynand presents Dominique with a diamond necklace, they have two different takes on where the money came from to pay for it. What were those points of view and what did each one mean?
5. What do the reactions of Ellsworth Toohey and Alvah Scarret say about their political leanings?
6. Roark tells Peter that "it is I who have destroyed you." Explain what he means by that statement.
7. How does the new drama critic plan to exercise power over the public?
8. What is the significance of Peter's going once again to Roark when he cannot come up with a design for the Cortlandt Homes project?
9. How does Rand use the conversation between Wynand and Roark on board the yacht to express her views on socialism?
10. Contrast Peter's situation when he goes to get help once again with Roark's willingness to take on the Cortlandt Homes project.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 9, Toohey is described in the university as the student all others turned to for advice. Rand writes that "people noticed Ellsworth Toohey seldom let a boy pursue the career he had chosen." Write an essay on why Toohey was compelled to guide students away from their aspirations.
Essay Topic 2
In no less than two handwritten pages, discuss the character of Dominique and why Francon thinks he failed her as a father.
Essay Topic 3
Write two or three pages explaining what parts of Rand's philosophy you agree with and which parts you disagree with. Discuss examples such as her depictions of religion, labor unions, corporate boards of directors, and capitalists like the owners of Monadnock Valley project.
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)