|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After looking at the Cortlandt Homes designs, who recognizes immediately that they were drawn by Roark?
2. Why does Wynand say he will not destroy Dominique?
3. Where does Toohey insist that true freedom is found?
4. Why does Wynand go often to the building site where Roark is working?
5. On her way to Reno, why does Dominique stop over in Clayton, Ohio?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Roark goes to meet with Wynand about building his house, he goes to the "Banner" planning to reject the commission. Describe how and why the meeting changes Roark's mind.
2. Discuss the meaning Rand places on the last meeting of Peter and Katie.
3. Contrast Peter's situation when he goes to get help once again with Roark's willingness to take on the Cortlandt Homes project.
4. When Wynand presents Dominique with a diamond necklace, they have two different takes on where the money came from to pay for it. What were those points of view and what did each one mean?
5. Discuss the high price Wynand puts on Peter getting the Stoneridge Homes commission.
6. In spite of his socialist tutoring from Toohey, Peter retains some sense of "I." How does Rand use Dominique to illustrate that point?
7. Explain why Wynand does not listen to Dominique when she warns him about Toohey.
8. How does the new drama critic plan to exercise power over the public?
9. How does Rand use the conversation between Wynand and Roark on board the yacht to express her views on socialism?
10. Discuss how Roark's Monadnock Valley Resort is in opposition to everything Toohey stands for.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After John Eric Snyte fires Roark, he tries to get him to return to his firm. Write an essay explaining why Roark would never go back to work for him.
Essay Topic 2
Collect a list of similes Rand uses in the novel. For example, in Part 3 Chapter 5, she writes, "[Keating] wondered whether his feet had left footprints on the carpet like the leaded feet of a deep sea diver." Write your opinion of how well you think Rand uses these similes to make the picture she is describing clearer.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are a book reviewer for a newspaper. Write your review and critique of "The Fountainhead."
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)