|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition for Peter's getting the Stoneridge Homes project?
2. Who finally tells Gail Wynand the name of the sculptor who did the statue Toohey gave him?
3. How is Gail Wynand able to build the Wynand building after shutting down the "Banner"?
4. What is Toohey's motivation to have Wynand meet Dominique?
5. What gives evidence that Toohey intends to take over the "Banner"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Unlike Roark whose drive is centered on self-control and perfecting his work, Wynand is driven by revenge and breaking people who have wronged him. How does he try to dominate Roark and with what result?
2. Contrast Peter's situation when he goes to get help once again with Roark's willingness to take on the Cortlandt Homes project.
3. When Wynand presents Dominique with a diamond necklace, they have two different takes on where the money came from to pay for it. What were those points of view and what did each one mean?
4. What is Rand's message about public opinion as Wynand loses control over the "Banner"?
5. At the end of the novel, Dominique experiences a number of emotions while looking at the Wynand Building. What significance do these moments have to the story?
6. On board the yacht, how does Rand use the setting to voice her opposition to socialism?
7. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
8. How does Roark's self defense at his trial sum up Rand's statement about the value of the individual over socialism?
9. Explain why Wynand does not listen to Dominique when she warns him about Toohey.
10. What is the danger in Wynand's new found moral attitude after he comes under the influence of Roark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In no less than two handwritten pages, identify and explain some of the symbolism Ayn Rand employs in "The Fountainhead."
Essay Topic 2
In no less than two handwritten pages, discuss the character of Dominique and why Francon thinks he failed her as a father.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are a book reviewer for a newspaper. Write your review and critique of "The Fountainhead."
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)