|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Roark blow up the Cortlandt Homes project?
2. How does Toohey react when Wynand forbids any mention of Roark in the "Banner"?
3. Why does Toohey tell a policeman to arrest him?
4. What sin does Peter confess after seeing Katie again?
5. What horrifies Dominique a month after the Wynand house is finished?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roark's destruction of Cortland Homes relate to his sense of integrity?
2. What is the significance of Peter's going once again to Roark when he cannot come up with a design for the Cortlandt Homes project?
3. Unlike Roark whose drive is centered on self-control and perfecting his work, Wynand is driven by revenge and breaking people who have wronged him. How does he try to dominate Roark and with what result?
4. On board the yacht, how does Rand use the setting to voice her opposition to socialism?
5. Discuss the symbolism of the Wynand Building rising from Hell's Kitchen.
6. What do the reactions of Ellsworth Toohey and Alvah Scarret say about their political leanings?
7. Roark tells Peter that "it is I who have destroyed you." Explain what he means by that statement.
8. When Wynand presents Dominique with a diamond necklace, they have two different takes on where the money came from to pay for it. What were those points of view and what did each one mean?
9. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
10. Toohey seems to be gaining the upper hand in his quest to take over the "Banner." What is the significance of the public turning against Wynand's publication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kiki Holcombe is a follower, but not like the people Ellsworth Toohey controls. Kiki is shallow and only interested in social status. Write an essay expressing your feelings about social climbing and insincerity.
Essay Topic 2
Toohey is Roark's nemesis in the novel. All through the story, Toohey seems to fear Roark, but Roark has no fear of Toohey. Write an essay explaining why you think that is true.
Essay Topic 3
Write two or three pages explaining what parts of Rand's philosophy you agree with and which parts you disagree with. Discuss examples such as her depictions of religion, labor unions, corporate boards of directors, and capitalists like the owners of Monadnock Valley project.
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)