|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special honor does Wynand give to Dominique?
2. Why does Wynand drop the gun after contemplating suicide?
3. Peter gets the design for "The March of the Centuries" exposition at the World's Fair. Why did Roark turn it down?
4. Why, according to Roark, was Peter destroyed?
5. Why does Wynand go often to the building site where Roark is working?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand use the conversation between Wynand and Roark on board the yacht to express her views on socialism?
2. What is the danger in Wynand's new found moral attitude after he comes under the influence of Roark?
3. Roark tells Peter that "it is I who have destroyed you." Explain what he means by that statement.
4. How does the new drama critic plan to exercise power over the public?
5. What do the reactions of Ellsworth Toohey and Alvah Scarret say about their political leanings?
6. Discuss the symbolism of the Wynand Building rising from Hell's Kitchen.
7. In spite of his socialist tutoring from Toohey, Peter retains some sense of "I." How does Rand use Dominique to illustrate that point?
8. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
9. On board the yacht, how does Rand use the setting to voice her opposition to socialism?
10. Describe the situation when Wynand sees that he has underestimated Toohey and is in danger of losing the paper.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Collect a list of similes Rand uses in the novel. For example, in Part 3 Chapter 5, she writes, "[Keating] wondered whether his feet had left footprints on the carpet like the leaded feet of a deep sea diver." Write your opinion of how well you think Rand uses these similes to make the picture she is describing clearer.
Essay Topic 2
As the book opens, Roark is poised to dive into the ocean. He is alone on a granite cliff and looking down at the crashing waves below. What is feelings can be derived from that picture about (A) Roark, (B) the granite cliffs, (C) the water below. Describe what each of those elements means to you.
Essay Topic 3
Write two or three pages explaining what parts of Rand's philosophy you agree with and which parts you disagree with. Discuss examples such as her depictions of religion, labor unions, corporate boards of directors, and capitalists like the owners of Monadnock Valley project.
This section contains 1,501 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)