|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toohey demand be done with Roark?
2. What condition does Roark place on doing the Cortlandt Homes design?
3. Why does Wynand drop the gun after contemplating suicide?
4. What legal right does Roark maintain gave him the authority to destroy Cortlandt Homes?
5. How does Wynand react when he discovers that Dominique helped Roark destroy Cortlandt Homes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the symbolism of the Wynand Building rising from Hell's Kitchen.
2. Discuss the high price Wynand puts on Peter getting the Stoneridge Homes commission.
3. When Roark goes to meet with Wynand about building his house, he goes to the "Banner" planning to reject the commission. Describe how and why the meeting changes Roark's mind.
4. How does Roark's destruction of Cortland Homes relate to his sense of integrity?
5. Roark can stand tall because everything he has done has been his alone and he bears the responsibility for its success or failure. How does this contrast with the attacks against Wynand's newspaper?
6. How does Roark's self defense at his trial sum up Rand's statement about the value of the individual over socialism?
7. How does Wynand exonerate himself and regain his own integrity?
8. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
9. Roark tells Peter that "it is I who have destroyed you." Explain what he means by that statement.
10. What is Rand's message about public opinion as Wynand loses control over the "Banner"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
Essay Topic 2
Peter gives up the art career he really wants after graduation to do what his mother wants him to do. Mallory will even attempt murder in defense of his art. Write an essay about the differences between the two men. Explain which one you like better and why?
Essay Topic 3
In no less than two handwritten pages, discuss the character of Dominique and why Francon thinks he failed her as a father.
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)