|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wynand go often to the building site where Roark is working?
2. Who takes over the Cortlandt Homes project?
3. What is Roark's reaction to Peter's request that he design the Cortlandt Homes project for low rent housing?
4. Why does Wynand drop the gun after contemplating suicide?
5. What condition does Roark place on doing the Cortlandt Homes design?
Essay Topic 1
Write two or three pages explaining what parts of Rand's philosophy you agree with and which parts you disagree with. Discuss examples such as her depictions of religion, labor unions, corporate boards of directors, and capitalists like the owners of Monadnock Valley project.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 9, Toohey is described in the university as the student all others turned to for advice. Rand writes that "people noticed Ellsworth Toohey seldom let a boy pursue the career he had chosen." Write an essay on why Toohey was compelled to guide students away from their aspirations.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)