|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a "Banner" reporter interviews Dominique?
2. Wynand once threatened to kill Roark and Dominique if they got together. Why does he not do it?
3. How does Dominique get publicity that gets Wynand to divorce her?
4. Where does Wynand feel the best setting is for Roark?
5. How is Gail Wynand able to build the Wynand building after shutting down the "Banner"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the reactions of Ellsworth Toohey and Alvah Scarret say about their political leanings?
2. How does Rand use the conversation between Wynand and Roark on board the yacht to express her views on socialism?
3. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
4. Discuss how Roark's Monadnock Valley Resort is in opposition to everything Toohey stands for.
5. When Wynand presents Dominique with a diamond necklace, they have two different takes on where the money came from to pay for it. What were those points of view and what did each one mean?
6. At the end of the novel, Dominique experiences a number of emotions while looking at the Wynand Building. What significance do these moments have to the story?
7. How does the new drama critic plan to exercise power over the public?
8. Roark tells Peter that "it is I who have destroyed you." Explain what he means by that statement.
9. Discuss the high price Wynand puts on Peter getting the Stoneridge Homes commission.
10. What is the significance of Peter's going once again to Roark when he cannot come up with a design for the Cortlandt Homes project?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay contrasting the characters of Dominique and Katie. Explain how Dominique represents the Independent thinker and Katie represents the Dependent thinker.
Essay Topic 2
Peter gives up the art career he really wants after graduation to do what his mother wants him to do. Mallory will even attempt murder in defense of his art. Write an essay about the differences between the two men. Explain which one you like better and why?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 11, Roark goes to the building site of the Heller house. Write an essay about how Rand shows his feelings about the house.
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)