|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Toohey's motivation to have Wynand meet Dominique?
2. How does Wynand react when he discovers that Dominique helped Roark destroy Cortlandt Homes?
3. Why does Toohey tell a policeman to arrest him?
4. What horrifies Dominique a month after the Wynand house is finished?
5. In his own defense, how does Roark contrast himself as a creator with those who preach selflessness?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Roark goes to meet with Wynand about building his house, he goes to the "Banner" planning to reject the commission. Describe how and why the meeting changes Roark's mind.
2. What do the reactions of Ellsworth Toohey and Alvah Scarret say about their political leanings?
3. How does Wynand exonerate himself and regain his own integrity?
4. How does Dominique use the story of the false theft of her diamond ring to take her stand for, instead of against, Roark?
5. What is Rand's message about public opinion as Wynand loses control over the "Banner"?
6. How does Roark's destruction of Cortland Homes relate to his sense of integrity?
7. Unlike Roark whose drive is centered on self-control and perfecting his work, Wynand is driven by revenge and breaking people who have wronged him. How does he try to dominate Roark and with what result?
8. Wynand begins to find some inner peace from visiting the building site of his new house. Discuss the reasons for this change in Wynand.
9. Describe the situation when Wynand sees that he has underestimated Toohey and is in danger of losing the paper.
10. Explain why Wynand does not listen to Dominique when she warns him about Toohey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 11, Roark goes to the building site of the Heller house. Write an essay about how Rand shows his feelings about the house.
Essay Topic 2
In no less than two handwritten pages, discuss the character of Dominique and why Francon thinks he failed her as a father.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Rand tells us that Howard Roark laughs. Write an essay about his laughter and what it tells you about his character.
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)