|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Toohey tell a policeman to arrest him?
2. Why is the defeat so devastating to Wynand?
3. What does Peter do when he cannot figure out how to design the Cortlandt Homes project?
4. How does Toohey make his move to take over the "Banner"?
5. How do we know that Wynand is not always aware of what his newspaper prints?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dominique use the story of the false theft of her diamond ring to take her stand for, instead of against, Roark?
2. Roark tells Peter that "it is I who have destroyed you." Explain what he means by that statement.
3. How does Roark's self defense at his trial sum up Rand's statement about the value of the individual over socialism?
4. How does the new drama critic plan to exercise power over the public?
5. Discuss the symbolism of the Wynand Building rising from Hell's Kitchen.
6. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
7. What do the reactions of Ellsworth Toohey and Alvah Scarret say about their political leanings?
8. How does Rand use the conversation between Wynand and Roark on board the yacht to express her views on socialism?
9. What is the significance of Peter's going once again to Roark when he cannot come up with a design for the Cortlandt Homes project?
10. When Roark goes to meet with Wynand about building his house, he goes to the "Banner" planning to reject the commission. Describe how and why the meeting changes Roark's mind.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In no less than two handwritten pages, discuss the character of Dominique and why Francon thinks he failed her as a father.
Essay Topic 2
Collect a list of similes Rand uses in the novel. For example, in Part 3 Chapter 5, she writes, "[Keating] wondered whether his feet had left footprints on the carpet like the leaded feet of a deep sea diver." Write your opinion of how well you think Rand uses these similes to make the picture she is describing clearer.
Essay Topic 3
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)