|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sin does Peter confess after seeing Katie again?
2. What does Katie feel for Peter when they meet by accident on the street?
3. What causes Wynand to lose respect for integrity?
4. What special honor does Wynand give to Dominique?
5. What in the relationship between Roark and Wynand is distressing to Dominique?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wynand exonerate himself and regain his own integrity?
2. What is Rand's message about public opinion as Wynand loses control over the "Banner"?
3. Roark can stand tall because everything he has done has been his alone and he bears the responsibility for its success or failure. How does this contrast with the attacks against Wynand's newspaper?
4. When Roark goes to meet with Wynand about building his house, he goes to the "Banner" planning to reject the commission. Describe how and why the meeting changes Roark's mind.
5. When Wynand presents Dominique with a diamond necklace, they have two different takes on where the money came from to pay for it. What were those points of view and what did each one mean?
6. Discuss the high price Wynand puts on Peter getting the Stoneridge Homes commission.
7. Describe how Gail Wynand's early childhood led to his great cynicism.
8. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
9. What is the danger in Wynand's new found moral attitude after he comes under the influence of Roark?
10. How does the new drama critic plan to exercise power over the public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kiki Holcombe is a follower, but not like the people Ellsworth Toohey controls. Kiki is shallow and only interested in social status. Write an essay expressing your feelings about social climbing and insincerity.
Essay Topic 2
In two or three handwritten pages, discuss Mrs. Keating as a mother. When she was hurrying Roark out of her rooming house to see the Dean, Rand writes that it was "as though she feared the decision [to expel Roark from Stanton] might be reversed." Why would she fear that? What does that tell you (1) about her character, and (2) what she really thought about Peter's ability?
Essay Topic 3
Peter gives up the art career he really wants after graduation to do what his mother wants him to do. Mallory will even attempt murder in defense of his art. Write an essay about the differences between the two men. Explain which one you like better and why?
This section contains 1,540 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)