|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wynand react when he discovers that Dominique helped Roark destroy Cortlandt Homes?
2. What is the condition for Peter's getting the Stoneridge Homes project?
3. Where is Katie living now?
4. What is the basic difference between Roark and Wynand?
5. After blowing up the Cortlandt Homes housing project, what does Roark do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the new drama critic plan to exercise power over the public?
2. How does Wynand exonerate himself and regain his own integrity?
3. How does Rand use the conversation between Wynand and Roark on board the yacht to express her views on socialism?
4. Roark can stand tall because everything he has done has been his alone and he bears the responsibility for its success or failure. How does this contrast with the attacks against Wynand's newspaper?
5. What is Rand's message about public opinion as Wynand loses control over the "Banner"?
6. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
7. What is the danger in Wynand's new found moral attitude after he comes under the influence of Roark?
8. Contrast Peter's situation when he goes to get help once again with Roark's willingness to take on the Cortlandt Homes project.
9. In spite of his socialist tutoring from Toohey, Peter retains some sense of "I." How does Rand use Dominique to illustrate that point?
10. Wynand begins to find some inner peace from visiting the building site of his new house. Discuss the reasons for this change in Wynand.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kiki Holcombe is a follower, but not like the people Ellsworth Toohey controls. Kiki is shallow and only interested in social status. Write an essay expressing your feelings about social climbing and insincerity.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting the characters of Dominique and Katie. Explain how Dominique represents the Independent thinker and Katie represents the Dependent thinker.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 9, Toohey is described in the university as the student all others turned to for advice. Rand writes that "people noticed Ellsworth Toohey seldom let a boy pursue the career he had chosen." Write an essay on why Toohey was compelled to guide students away from their aspirations.
This section contains 1,469 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)