|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
2. Why do Roark and the electrician, Mike, become great friends?
3. When Peter hears that Toohey has been shot, what is his first concern?
4. When Peter suspects a man has changed Dominique, what does she tell him?
5. Unable to get work as an architect, what does Roark do to earn a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Dominique's idea that beautiful things should not exist in the real world.
2. Discuss how Rand accuses critics of distorting reality when Peter finally meets Toohey.
3. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
4. How do the conflicting passions of Roark and Dominique result in an act of violence?
5. Toohey successfully manipulates Stoddard into hiring Roark to design and build his "temple." When it is finished, Toohey creates an uproar among the public by denouncing it as "blasphemy." Although Dominique regrets the public reaction, she still agrees to testify for Stoddard in the lawsuit he files. How does Dominique explain her actions?
6. Discuss the significance of Peter's intimidation by Lois Cook.
7. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
8. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
9. Explain how Roark's getting his hands dirty at a building site wins over the admiration of the electrician, Mike.
10. When Roark refuses to design a building according to Francon's specifications, he is fired. When he goes to see Gordon Prescott who wrote an article about giving young architects a chance, he is rebuffed. How do these events help to develop the theme of integrity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After John Eric Snyte fires Roark, he tries to get him to return to his firm. Write an essay explaining why Roark would never go back to work for him.
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you are a book reviewer for a newspaper. Write your review and critique of "The Fountainhead."
Essay Topic 3
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)