|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy Gowans want Roark to design and build for him?
2. What stands in the way of Peter's becoming a full partner with Francon?
3. What is Peter's condition when he visits Katie and insists they marry the following day?
4. What do people say about Roark's work after the opening of the Enright house?
5. What does Peter learn from Francon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Both Dominique and Toohey want to destroy Roark's career. Contrast their reasons for wanting to do so.
2. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
3. What is meant by the description of the Stoddard temple as being "like a corpse hacked to pieces and reassembled?"
4. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
5. Explain how Roark's getting his hands dirty at a building site wins over the admiration of the electrician, Mike.
6. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
7. Peter's lack of integrity comes to light in his efforts to get Claude Stengel's job. How does the method he uses to accomplish his purpose relate to the theme of the book?
8. Discuss the idea of "ownership" in the relationship between Dominique and Roark.
9. Discuss the irony of Peter going to Roark for help with his Cosmo-Slotnik competition design.
10. Discuss the significance of Peter's intimidation by Lois Cook.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 11, Roark goes to the building site of the Heller house. Write an essay about how Rand shows his feelings about the house.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 9, Toohey is described in the university as the student all others turned to for advice. Rand writes that "people noticed Ellsworth Toohey seldom let a boy pursue the career he had chosen." Write an essay on why Toohey was compelled to guide students away from their aspirations.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are a book reviewer for a newspaper. Write your review and critique of "The Fountainhead."
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)