|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Francon contact Roark on the design of a new building?
2. Who is the only person to see through Dominique's constant criticism of Roark's work in her column?
3. Who actually does the designs for Francon and Heyer?
4. What did Toohey think was a "cosmic joke?"
5. In what way is Peter Keating better equipped for getting new commissions than Roark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
2. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
3. What is meant by the description of the Stoddard temple as being "like a corpse hacked to pieces and reassembled?"
4. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
5. Identify and explain two events from Toohey's childhood which began a pattern of behavior he uses in adulthood.
6. Discuss the idea of "ownership" in the relationship between Dominique and Roark.
7. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
8. Explain why Toohey supports the striking builders and how it fits in with his socialistic ideas.
9. Discuss how Rand accuses critics of distorting reality when Peter finally meets Toohey.
10. Considering the number of jobs Roark did not get or turned down, explain the difference between Roark and Peter Keating.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toohey is Roark's nemesis in the novel. All through the story, Toohey seems to fear Roark, but Roark has no fear of Toohey. Write an essay explaining why you think that is true.
Essay Topic 2
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of Rand's writing style. How does she choose vocabulary? Are her sentences short or complicated? How does she use adjectives and adverbs to describe a scene or person? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)