|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What infuriates Dominique about the replacement fireplace?
2. What is the socialist theme of Toomey's book, "Sermons in Stone"?
3. Francon and Toomey agree about architecture for what reason?
4. At the firm of John Eric Snyte, what type of building design is assigned to Roark?
5. Where does Peter finally get to meet Dominique?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
2. Describe the character flaws in Peter Keating in regard to both Heyer's death and his winning the Cosmo-Slotnik competition.
3. Explain how Snyte's idea of building by committee underscores the failure to deliver what the client wants.
4. What is meant by the description of the Stoddard temple as being "like a corpse hacked to pieces and reassembled?"
5. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
6. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
7. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
8. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
9. When Roark refuses to design a building according to Francon's specifications, he is fired. When he goes to see Gordon Prescott who wrote an article about giving young architects a chance, he is rebuffed. How do these events help to develop the theme of integrity?
10. Dominique writes that the Enright house is a "mockery to all the structures of the city." Most people believe that she is panning the building. What is her real meaning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kiki Holcombe is a follower, but not like the people Ellsworth Toohey controls. Kiki is shallow and only interested in social status. Write an essay expressing your feelings about social climbing and insincerity.
Essay Topic 2
After John Eric Snyte fires Roark, he tries to get him to return to his firm. Write an essay explaining why Roark would never go back to work for him.
Essay Topic 3
The main theme of "The Fountainhead" is the conflict between Individualism and Collectivism. Write a few paragraphs that show how Rand illustrates the opposite points of view.
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)