|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings about the downfall of Henry Cameron?
2. Why does Dominique agree to testify against Roark when he is sued by Stoddard?
3. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
4. Who is the only person to see through Dominique's constant criticism of Roark's work in her column?
5. What happens to the temple that is now a home for "subnormal children"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
2. Discuss how Rand accuses critics of distorting reality when Peter finally meets Toohey.
3. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
4. Discuss the significance of Peter's intimidation by Lois Cook.
5. Explain why Toohey supports the striking builders and how it fits in with his socialistic ideas.
6. Describe the character flaws in Peter Keating in regard to both Heyer's death and his winning the Cosmo-Slotnik competition.
7. Discuss Dominique's idea that beautiful things should not exist in the real world.
8. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
9. Contrast the difference between Roark and Peter as they attend Kiki Holcombe's party.
10. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write two or three pages explaining what parts of Rand's philosophy you agree with and which parts you disagree with. Discuss examples such as her depictions of religion, labor unions, corporate boards of directors, and capitalists like the owners of Monadnock Valley project.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting the characters of Dominique and Katie. Explain how Dominique represents the Independent thinker and Katie represents the Dependent thinker.
Essay Topic 3
The main theme of "The Fountainhead" is the conflict between Individualism and Collectivism. Write a few paragraphs that show how Rand illustrates the opposite points of view.
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)