|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Roark and Dominique meet up at the Holcombe party?
2. How does Dominique get her information to write an article about the slums?
3. What do people say about Roark's work after the opening of the Enright house?
4. What comment does Roark make to Dominique about his work in the Quarry?
5. What does Peter tell Toohey about Roark.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
2. Roark can stand tall because everything he has done has been his alone and he bears the responsibility for its success or failure. How does this contrast with the attacks against Wynand's newspaper?
3. Wynand begins to find some inner peace from visiting the building site of his new house. Discuss the reasons for this change in Wynand.
4. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
5. Describe how Gail Wynand's early childhood led to his great cynicism.
6. Considering the number of jobs Roark did not get or turned down, explain the difference between Roark and Peter Keating.
7. Dominique writes that the Enright house is a "mockery to all the structures of the city." Most people believe that she is panning the building. What is her real meaning?
8. Describe the situation when Wynand sees that he has underestimated Toohey and is in danger of losing the paper.
9. At the beginning of the novel, Howard Roark stands naked on a granite cliff preparing to dive into the waves below. Describe how this scene sets the stage for the entire novel.
10. Explain why Toohey supports the striking builders and how it fits in with his socialistic ideas.
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Rand tells us that Howard Roark laughs. Write an essay about his laughter and what it tells you about his character.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that explains the fall of Peter Keating and the reasons for that fall.
Essay Topic 3
Write two or three pages explaining what parts of Rand's philosophy you agree with and which parts you disagree with. Discuss examples such as her depictions of religion, labor unions, corporate boards of directors, and capitalists like the owners of Monadnock Valley project.
This section contains 2,013 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)