|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dominique think her private relationship with Roark gives her when they meet in public?
2. Why does Henry Cameron retire?
3. Unable to get work as an architect, what does Roark do to earn a living?
4. Why does the Dean consider Roark to be insubordinate?
5. Why is it difficult for Peter Keating to decide what to do after graduation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Toohey successfully manipulates Stoddard into hiring Roark to design and build his "temple." When it is finished, Toohey creates an uproar among the public by denouncing it as "blasphemy." Although Dominique regrets the public reaction, she still agrees to testify for Stoddard in the lawsuit he files. How does Dominique explain her actions?
2. Discuss the irony of Peter going to Roark for help with his Cosmo-Slotnik competition design.
3. Discuss the idea of "ownership" in the relationship between Dominique and Roark.
4. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
5. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
6. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
7. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
8. Explain why Toohey supports the striking builders and how it fits in with his socialistic ideas.
9. Contrast the difference between Roark and Peter as they attend Kiki Holcombe's party.
10. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In no less than two handwritten pages, identify and explain some of the symbolism Ayn Rand employs in "The Fountainhead."
Essay Topic 2
In two or three handwritten pages, discuss Mrs. Keating as a mother. When she was hurrying Roark out of her rooming house to see the Dean, Rand writes that it was "as though she feared the decision [to expel Roark from Stanton] might be reversed." Why would she fear that? What does that tell you (1) about her character, and (2) what she really thought about Peter's ability?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay contrasting the characters of Dominique and Katie. Explain how Dominique represents the Independent thinker and Katie represents the Dependent thinker.
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)