|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dominique think her private relationship with Roark gives her when they meet in public?
2. After Sutton hired Roark, he subsequently fired him. What reason did he give Roark?
3. How does Dominique get her information to write an article about the slums?
4. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
5. What is Roark's philosophy about designing a building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the significance of Peter's intimidation by Lois Cook.
2. What is meant by the description of the Stoddard temple as being "like a corpse hacked to pieces and reassembled?"
3. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
4. Explain how Snyte's idea of building by committee underscores the failure to deliver what the client wants.
5. At the beginning of the novel, Howard Roark stands naked on a granite cliff preparing to dive into the waves below. Describe how this scene sets the stage for the entire novel.
6. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
7. Discuss the idea of "ownership" in the relationship between Dominique and Roark.
8. When Roark refuses to design a building according to Francon's specifications, he is fired. When he goes to see Gordon Prescott who wrote an article about giving young architects a chance, he is rebuffed. How do these events help to develop the theme of integrity?
9. Discuss the irony of Peter going to Roark for help with his Cosmo-Slotnik competition design.
10. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In no less than two handwritten pages, discuss the character of Dominique and why Francon thinks he failed her as a father.
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you are a book reviewer for a newspaper. Write your review and critique of "The Fountainhead."
Essay Topic 3
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)