|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is Peter Keating better equipped for getting new commissions than Roark?
2. When Dominique offers to have her marriage to Peter annulled, what is Roark's reaction?
3. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
4. What is the conflict between Francon and Gail Wynand?
5. Why does Francon contact Roark on the design of a new building?
Short Essay Questions
1. Both Dominique and Toohey want to destroy Roark's career. Contrast their reasons for wanting to do so.
2. Toohey successfully manipulates Stoddard into hiring Roark to design and build his "temple." When it is finished, Toohey creates an uproar among the public by denouncing it as "blasphemy." Although Dominique regrets the public reaction, she still agrees to testify for Stoddard in the lawsuit he files. How does Dominique explain her actions?
3. Explain why Toohey supports the striking builders and how it fits in with his socialistic ideas.
4. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
5. As Cameron becomes ill and gives up, Roark continues to think for himself. At the same time, Ellsworth Toohey is gaining a larger following for his idea of collectivity versus individualism. How does this foreshadow the struggles that Roark will face?
6. Dominique and Roark meet as strangers without names. Like the moth to the flame, Dominique is drawn back again and again to watch Roark at the quarry. Discuss the significance of Roark's domination of Dominique.
7. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
8. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
9. Describe the character flaws in Peter Keating in regard to both Heyer's death and his winning the Cosmo-Slotnik competition.
10. Dominique writes that the Enright house is a "mockery to all the structures of the city." Most people believe that she is panning the building. What is her real meaning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of Rand's writing style. How does she choose vocabulary? Are her sentences short or complicated? How does she use adjectives and adverbs to describe a scene or person? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Toohey is Roark's nemesis in the novel. All through the story, Toohey seems to fear Roark, but Roark has no fear of Toohey. Write an essay explaining why you think that is true.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 9, Toohey is described in the university as the student all others turned to for advice. Rand writes that "people noticed Ellsworth Toohey seldom let a boy pursue the career he had chosen." Write an essay on why Toohey was compelled to guide students away from their aspirations.
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)