|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Stoddard wins the lawsuit against Roark, what happens to Dominique?
2. What was the result of Dominique's articles on the slums?
3. What happens when Roark shows up uninvited at Dominique's door?
4. Who takes a shot at Ellsworth Toohey?
5. What spoils Peter's joy at winning the "most beautiful building" contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the significance of Peter's intimidation by Lois Cook.
2. How does Roark's self defense at his trial sum up Rand's statement about the value of the individual over socialism?
3. At the beginning of the novel, Howard Roark stands naked on a granite cliff preparing to dive into the waves below. Describe how this scene sets the stage for the entire novel.
4. Toohey works hard to see that Roark is convicted. Why is he so intent on that outcome?
5. Explain how Snyte's idea of building by committee underscores the failure to deliver what the client wants.
6. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
7. Considering the number of jobs Roark did not get or turned down, explain the difference between Roark and Peter Keating.
8. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
9. Describe how Gail Wynand's early childhood led to his great cynicism.
10. How does Roark's destruction of Cortland Homes relate to his sense of integrity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kiki Holcombe is a follower, but not like the people Ellsworth Toohey controls. Kiki is shallow and only interested in social status. Write an essay expressing your feelings about social climbing and insincerity.
Essay Topic 2
As the book opens, Roark is poised to dive into the ocean. He is alone on a granite cliff and looking down at the crashing waves below. What is feelings can be derived from that picture about (A) Roark, (B) the granite cliffs, (C) the water below. Describe what each of those elements means to you.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay contrasting the characters of Dominique and Katie. Explain how Dominique represents the Independent thinker and Katie represents the Dependent thinker.
This section contains 2,007 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)