|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dominique spend her wedding night?
2. Why does Peter Keating offer to do Davis' work after hours?
3. How does Dominique get her information to write an article about the slums?
4. Why does Francon contact Roark on the design of a new building?
5. What stands in the way of Peter's becoming a full partner with Francon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Roark's idea that architectural form should follow function.
2. Contrast the difference between Roark and Peter as they attend Kiki Holcombe's party.
3. Identify and explain two events from Toohey's childhood which began a pattern of behavior he uses in adulthood.
4. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
5. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
6. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
7. Dominique writes that the Enright house is a "mockery to all the structures of the city." Most people believe that she is panning the building. What is her real meaning?
8. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
9. Explain how Snyte's idea of building by committee underscores the failure to deliver what the client wants.
10. As Cameron becomes ill and gives up, Roark continues to think for himself. At the same time, Ellsworth Toohey is gaining a larger following for his idea of collectivity versus individualism. How does this foreshadow the struggles that Roark will face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 11, Roark goes to the building site of the Heller house. Write an essay about how Rand shows his feelings about the house.
Essay Topic 2
Collect a list of similes Rand uses in the novel. For example, in Part 3 Chapter 5, she writes, "[Keating] wondered whether his feet had left footprints on the carpet like the leaded feet of a deep sea diver." Write your opinion of how well you think Rand uses these similes to make the picture she is describing clearer.
Essay Topic 3
In two or three handwritten pages, discuss Mrs. Keating as a mother. When she was hurrying Roark out of her rooming house to see the Dean, Rand writes that it was "as though she feared the decision [to expel Roark from Stanton] might be reversed." Why would she fear that? What does that tell you (1) about her character, and (2) what she really thought about Peter's ability?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)