|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Stoddard wins the lawsuit against Roark, what happens to Dominique?
2. What happens to the sculptor Mallory?
3. Who takes a shot at Ellsworth Toohey?
4. Why does Cameron eventually hire Roark?
5. When Dominique offers to have her marriage to Peter annulled, what is Roark's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Considering the number of jobs Roark did not get or turned down, explain the difference between Roark and Peter Keating.
2. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
3. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
4. Explain how Roark's getting his hands dirty at a building site wins over the admiration of the electrician, Mike.
5. Explain how Snyte's idea of building by committee underscores the failure to deliver what the client wants.
6. Identify and explain two events from Toohey's childhood which began a pattern of behavior he uses in adulthood.
7. Peter's lack of integrity comes to light in his efforts to get Claude Stengel's job. How does the method he uses to accomplish his purpose relate to the theme of the book?
8. How do the conflicting passions of Roark and Dominique result in an act of violence?
9. Discuss Roark's idea that architectural form should follow function.
10. Both Dominique and Toohey want to destroy Roark's career. Contrast their reasons for wanting to do so.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following buildings designed by Roark and explain its importance to the story: (a) the Stoddard temple; (b) the gasoline station; (c) Monadnock Valley resort.
Essay Topic 2
In no less than two handwritten pages, identify and explain some of the symbolism Ayn Rand employs in "The Fountainhead."
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of Rand's writing style. How does she choose vocabulary? Are her sentences short or complicated? How does she use adjectives and adverbs to describe a scene or person? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)