|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the sculptor Mallory?
2. What was the result of Dominique's articles on the slums?
3. Why is Dominique disappointed when she verifies that Roark is reading her articles?
4. What infuriates Dominique about the replacement fireplace?
5. Unable to get work as an architect, what does Roark do to earn a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the conflicting passions of Roark and Dominique result in an act of violence?
2. Discuss the idea of "ownership" in the relationship between Dominique and Roark.
3. As Cameron becomes ill and gives up, Roark continues to think for himself. At the same time, Ellsworth Toohey is gaining a larger following for his idea of collectivity versus individualism. How does this foreshadow the struggles that Roark will face?
4. Toohey successfully manipulates Stoddard into hiring Roark to design and build his "temple." When it is finished, Toohey creates an uproar among the public by denouncing it as "blasphemy." Although Dominique regrets the public reaction, she still agrees to testify for Stoddard in the lawsuit he files. How does Dominique explain her actions?
5. Discuss Dominique's idea that beautiful things should not exist in the real world.
6. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
7. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
8. Dominique and Roark meet as strangers without names. Like the moth to the flame, Dominique is drawn back again and again to watch Roark at the quarry. Discuss the significance of Roark's domination of Dominique.
9. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
10. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter gives up the art career he really wants after graduation to do what his mother wants him to do. Mallory will even attempt murder in defense of his art. Write an essay about the differences between the two men. Explain which one you like better and why?
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you are a book reviewer for a newspaper. Write your review and critique of "The Fountainhead."
Essay Topic 3
Kiki Holcombe is a follower, but not like the people Ellsworth Toohey controls. Kiki is shallow and only interested in social status. Write an essay expressing your feelings about social climbing and insincerity.
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)