|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy Gowans want Roark to design and build for him?
2. What does Peter do with his "world's most beautiful building" contest design?
3. What is the unexpected coincidence involving Katie Halsey?
4. When Dominique reveals that Toohey got Roark the job of building the temple to destroy him, what is Roark's reaction?
5. What does Dominique want to do to Roark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the irony of Peter going to Roark for help with his Cosmo-Slotnik competition design.
2. Peter's lack of integrity comes to light in his efforts to get Claude Stengel's job. How does the method he uses to accomplish his purpose relate to the theme of the book?
3. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
4. Describe the character flaws in Peter Keating in regard to both Heyer's death and his winning the Cosmo-Slotnik competition.
5. What is meant by the description of the Stoddard temple as being "like a corpse hacked to pieces and reassembled?"
6. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
7. Explain why Toohey supports the striking builders and how it fits in with his socialistic ideas.
8. Identify and explain two events from Toohey's childhood which began a pattern of behavior he uses in adulthood.
9. Dominique writes that the Enright house is a "mockery to all the structures of the city." Most people believe that she is panning the building. What is her real meaning?
10. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In no less than two handwritten pages, discuss the character of Dominique and why Francon thinks he failed her as a father.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of Rand's writing style. How does she choose vocabulary? Are her sentences short or complicated? How does she use adjectives and adverbs to describe a scene or person? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Collect a list of similes Rand uses in the novel. For example, in Part 3 Chapter 5, she writes, "[Keating] wondered whether his feet had left footprints on the carpet like the leaded feet of a deep sea diver." Write your opinion of how well you think Rand uses these similes to make the picture she is describing clearer.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)