|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dominique think her private relationship with Roark gives her when they meet in public?
2. When Dominique offers to have her marriage to Peter annulled, what is Roark's reaction?
3. What indicates that John Eric Snyte regretted firing Roark?
4. What is the conflict between Francon and Gail Wynand?
5. Why does Henry Cameron retire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
2. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
3. Toohey successfully manipulates Stoddard into hiring Roark to design and build his "temple." When it is finished, Toohey creates an uproar among the public by denouncing it as "blasphemy." Although Dominique regrets the public reaction, she still agrees to testify for Stoddard in the lawsuit he files. How does Dominique explain her actions?
4. Discuss how Rand accuses critics of distorting reality when Peter finally meets Toohey.
5. What is meant by the description of the Stoddard temple as being "like a corpse hacked to pieces and reassembled?"
6. Describe the character flaws in Peter Keating in regard to both Heyer's death and his winning the Cosmo-Slotnik competition.
7. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
8. Contrast the difference between Roark and Peter as they attend Kiki Holcombe's party.
9. Peter's lack of integrity comes to light in his efforts to get Claude Stengel's job. How does the method he uses to accomplish his purpose relate to the theme of the book?
10. Discuss the significance of Peter's intimidation by Lois Cook.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In no less than two handwritten pages, identify and explain some of the symbolism Ayn Rand employs in "The Fountainhead."
Essay Topic 2
In two or three handwritten pages, discuss Mrs. Keating as a mother. When she was hurrying Roark out of her rooming house to see the Dean, Rand writes that it was "as though she feared the decision [to expel Roark from Stanton] might be reversed." Why would she fear that? What does that tell you (1) about her character, and (2) what she really thought about Peter's ability?
Essay Topic 3
As the book opens, Roark is poised to dive into the ocean. He is alone on a granite cliff and looking down at the crashing waves below. What is feelings can be derived from that picture about (A) Roark, (B) the granite cliffs, (C) the water below. Describe what each of those elements means to you.
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)