|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings about the downfall of Henry Cameron?
2. What are Roark's criteria for designing a new building?
3. What is Roark's philosophy about designing a building?
4. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
5. Why is the opening of the temple canceled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
2. Toohey successfully manipulates Stoddard into hiring Roark to design and build his "temple." When it is finished, Toohey creates an uproar among the public by denouncing it as "blasphemy." Although Dominique regrets the public reaction, she still agrees to testify for Stoddard in the lawsuit he files. How does Dominique explain her actions?
3. Identify and explain two events from Toohey's childhood which began a pattern of behavior he uses in adulthood.
4. Discuss Roark's idea that architectural form should follow function.
5. Discuss how Rand accuses critics of distorting reality when Peter finally meets Toohey.
6. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
7. Discuss Dominique's idea that beautiful things should not exist in the real world.
8. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
9. Discuss the irony of Peter going to Roark for help with his Cosmo-Slotnik competition design.
10. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
Essay Topic 2
Kiki Holcombe is a follower, but not like the people Ellsworth Toohey controls. Kiki is shallow and only interested in social status. Write an essay expressing your feelings about social climbing and insincerity.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that explains the fall of Peter Keating and the reasons for that fall.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)