|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Roark do to help Peter?
2. Why is the opening of the temple canceled?
3. How does Peter go about getting rid of Heyer?
4. What event prevents Peter from marrying Katie?
5. What indicates that John Eric Snyte regretted firing Roark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Peter's lack of integrity comes to light in his efforts to get Claude Stengel's job. How does the method he uses to accomplish his purpose relate to the theme of the book?
2. Discuss how Rand accuses critics of distorting reality when Peter finally meets Toohey.
3. Explain how Snyte's idea of building by committee underscores the failure to deliver what the client wants.
4. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
5. Discuss the idea of "ownership" in the relationship between Dominique and Roark.
6. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
7. At the beginning of the novel, Howard Roark stands naked on a granite cliff preparing to dive into the waves below. Describe how this scene sets the stage for the entire novel.
8. Both Dominique and Toohey want to destroy Roark's career. Contrast their reasons for wanting to do so.
9. Identify and explain two events from Toohey's childhood which began a pattern of behavior he uses in adulthood.
10. Discuss Dominique's idea that beautiful things should not exist in the real world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Toohey is Roark's nemesis in the novel. All through the story, Toohey seems to fear Roark, but Roark has no fear of Toohey. Write an essay explaining why you think that is true.
Essay Topic 2
Peter gives up the art career he really wants after graduation to do what his mother wants him to do. Mallory will even attempt murder in defense of his art. Write an essay about the differences between the two men. Explain which one you like better and why?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that explains the fall of Peter Keating and the reasons for that fall.
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)