|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of Heyer's death?
2. What does Toohey write in his column about the Enright house?
3. What event marked the beginning of Roark's own architecture firm?
4. Who actually does the designs for Francon and Heyer?
5. What does Jimmy Gowans want Roark to design and build for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Roark's idea that architectural form should follow function.
2. Discuss Dominique's idea that beautiful things should not exist in the real world.
3. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
4. Dominique and Roark meet as strangers without names. Like the moth to the flame, Dominique is drawn back again and again to watch Roark at the quarry. Discuss the significance of Roark's domination of Dominique.
5. At the beginning of the novel, Howard Roark stands naked on a granite cliff preparing to dive into the waves below. Describe how this scene sets the stage for the entire novel.
6. What is meant by the description of the Stoddard temple as being "like a corpse hacked to pieces and reassembled?"
7. Explain why Toohey supports the striking builders and how it fits in with his socialistic ideas.
8. Discuss the significance of Peter's intimidation by Lois Cook.
9. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
10. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter gives up the art career he really wants after graduation to do what his mother wants him to do. Mallory will even attempt murder in defense of his art. Write an essay about the differences between the two men. Explain which one you like better and why?
Essay Topic 2
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Rand tells us that Howard Roark laughs. Write an essay about his laughter and what it tells you about his character.
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)