|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stands in the way of Peter's becoming a full partner with Francon?
2. Although Stoddard wins the lawsuit against Roark, what happens to Dominique?
3. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
4. What is Roark's attitude after being expelled from school?
5. What infuriates Dominique about the replacement fireplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the difference between Roark and Peter as they attend Kiki Holcombe's party.
2. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
3. In spite of his socialist tutoring from Toohey, Peter retains some sense of "I." How does Rand use Dominique to illustrate that point?
4. Contrast Peter's situation when he goes to get help once again with Roark's willingness to take on the Cortlandt Homes project.
5. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
6. Toohey successfully manipulates Stoddard into hiring Roark to design and build his "temple." When it is finished, Toohey creates an uproar among the public by denouncing it as "blasphemy." Although Dominique regrets the public reaction, she still agrees to testify for Stoddard in the lawsuit he files. How does Dominique explain her actions?
7. What is the danger in Wynand's new found moral attitude after he comes under the influence of Roark?
8. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
9. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
10. Dominique and Roark meet as strangers without names. Like the moth to the flame, Dominique is drawn back again and again to watch Roark at the quarry. Discuss the significance of Roark's domination of Dominique.
Essay Topic 1
In Part 4 chapter 4, Gail Wynand says, "I am the most offensively possessive man on earth." Write an essay in support of his statement giving examples from the novel. Wynand believes he possesses Dominique. Do you think he really does?
Essay Topic 2
After John Eric Snyte fires Roark, he tries to get him to return to his firm. Write an essay explaining why Roark would never go back to work for him.
Essay Topic 3
In no less than two handwritten pages, discuss the character of Dominique and why Francon thinks he failed her as a father.
This section contains 2,076 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)