|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people say about Roark's work after the opening of the Enright house?
(a) It is an improvement over the classical style.
(b) It is the new direction all architecture will follow.
(c) It is cold and inhuman.
(d) It is a work of genius.
2. When Peter suspects a man has changed Dominique, what does she tell him?
(a) She must find the quarry worker again.
(b) A quarry worker changed her.
(c) Toohey has changed her attitude toward men.
(d) She is in love with Roark.
3. What is Roark's attitude after being expelled from school?
(a) He thinks he was wrong to criticize the classical style.
(b) He believes he will never be an architect.
(c) He is ashamed of himself for being so stupid.
(d) He thinks being an architect will be more difficult but not impossible.
4. Why does Cameron fire Roark?
(a) Roark's work is sub-standard.
(b) He believes that working for him will harm Roark's career.
(c) The other draftsmen do not like Roark.
(d) Roark is insubordinate.
5. When Dominique offers to have her marriage to Peter annulled, what is Roark's reaction?
(a) He says he does not want to marry Dominique ever.
(b) He demands that she annul the marriage immediately.
(c) He threatens to tell Peter where she was that night.
(d) He says he will wait for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dominique get her information to write an article about the slums?
2. What brings about the downfall of Henry Cameron?
3. How do the newspapers treat Henry Cameron's retirement?
4. Although Stoddard wins the lawsuit against Roark, what happens to Dominique?
5. What is the chief reaction of the public to Stoddard's temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Both Dominique and Toohey want to destroy Roark's career. Contrast their reasons for wanting to do so.
2. What is meant by the description of the Stoddard temple as being "like a corpse hacked to pieces and reassembled?"
3. Discuss the significance of Peter's intimidation by Lois Cook.
4. Contrast the difference between Roark and Peter as they attend Kiki Holcombe's party.
5. Dominique writes that the Enright house is a "mockery to all the structures of the city." Most people believe that she is panning the building. What is her real meaning?
6. Identify and explain two events from Toohey's childhood which began a pattern of behavior he uses in adulthood.
7. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
8. Discuss the idea of "ownership" in the relationship between Dominique and Roark.
9. At the beginning of the novel, Howard Roark stands naked on a granite cliff preparing to dive into the waves below. Describe how this scene sets the stage for the entire novel.
10. Explain how Roark's getting his hands dirty at a building site wins over the admiration of the electrician, Mike.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)