|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the chief reaction of the public to Stoddard's temple?
(a) They like the building but hate the statue.
(b) They praise its originality.
(c) They think it is a new religion.
(d) They call it blasphemy.
2. What happens to the temple that is now a home for "subnormal children"?
(a) Many architects make additions and changes to it.
(b) It is hidden by vines and trees.
(c) It is torn down and rebuilt.
(d) It is left just the way Roark designed it.
3. Where does Dominique spend her wedding night?
(a) In the Aquitania Hotel.
(b) In Peter's apartment.
(c) With Roark.
(d) In Connecticut.
4. How does Toohey get offered a job as a Banner columnist?
(a) He publishes his book.
(b) He offers to work for free.
(c) He threatens to organize a workers' strike.
(d) He is recommended by Francon.
5. Who actually does the designs for Francon and Heyer?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dominique agree to testify against Roark when he is sued by Stoddard?
2. What is Lois Cook's criteria for her new house?
3. What does Toohey call the "Unfinished Symphony"?
4. What does Peter do with his "world's most beautiful building" contest design?
5. Why does Roark agree to go to the Holcombe party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
2. Contrast the difference between Roark and Peter as they attend Kiki Holcombe's party.
3. Peter's lack of integrity comes to light in his efforts to get Claude Stengel's job. How does the method he uses to accomplish his purpose relate to the theme of the book?
4. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
5. Identify and explain two events from Toohey's childhood which began a pattern of behavior he uses in adulthood.
6. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
7. Discuss the idea of "ownership" in the relationship between Dominique and Roark.
8. Discuss the significance of Peter's intimidation by Lois Cook.
9. Considering the number of jobs Roark did not get or turned down, explain the difference between Roark and Peter Keating.
10. Discuss Roark's idea that architectural form should follow function.
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)