|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toohey say about himself that other people think he is joking about?
(a) He says that he is not a humanitarian.
(b) He says that he is a dangerous man.
(c) He says that only he knows how to design buildings.
(d) He says that he really does not understand architecture.
2. How does Peter Keating get rid of Claude Stengle?
(a) By becoming his best friend
(b) By rigging an elevator accident
(c) By claiming that Stengle copies his designs
(d) By convincing Francon that Stengle is stealing clients
3. How is it clear that Peter knows Dominique is in love with another man?
(a) She refuses to move into his apartment.
(b) He asks her who it is.
(c) He accuses her of loving Howard Roark.
(d) She refuses to sleep with him.
4. Why does Peter Keating offer to do Davis' work after hours?
(a) Peter is always thinking of others more than himself.
(b) Peter has nothing better to do.
(c) It is his plan to replace Davis as chief draftsman.
(d) It gives him a chance to learn more about design.
5. When the Heller house is finished, how is it received?
(a) Peter Keating wants to design houses just like it.
(b) It is either ignored or ridiculed.
(c) It gets rave reviews from Ellsworth Toohey.
(d) Everyone now wants houses designed by Roark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Roark expelled from the Architectural School of the Stanton Institute of Technology?
2. What spoils Peter's joy at winning the "most beautiful building" contest?
3. Why is Roark dissatisfied at the Snyte firm?
4. What does Peter learn from Francon?
5. Why is it difficult for Peter Keating to decide what to do after graduation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character flaws in Peter Keating in regard to both Heyer's death and his winning the Cosmo-Slotnik competition.
2. Dominique and Roark meet as strangers without names. Like the moth to the flame, Dominique is drawn back again and again to watch Roark at the quarry. Discuss the significance of Roark's domination of Dominique.
3. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
4. Discuss Dominique's idea that beautiful things should not exist in the real world.
5. Explain how Snyte's idea of building by committee underscores the failure to deliver what the client wants.
6. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
7. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
8. Discuss Roark's idea that architectural form should follow function.
9. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
10. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)