Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stands in the way of Peter's becoming a full partner with Francon?
(a) Francon wants Perer to marry Dominique first.
(b) Katie threatens to tell Dominique that she is engaged to Peter.
(c) Heyer prefers one of the other draftsmen.
(d) Lucius Heyer refuses to retire.
2. Although Stoddard wins the lawsuit against Roark, what happens to Dominique?
(a) Wynand promotes her to assistant editor.
(b) She gets a bonus for testifying against Roark.
(c) Toohey offers her a job as his researcher.
(d) Wynand fires her.
3. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
(a) She damages the fireplace in her bedroom and asks him to repair it.
(b) She invites him to a candlelight dinner.
(c) She fakes falling off her horse near the quarry.
(d) She threatens to have him fired from the quarry.
4. What is Roark's attitude after being expelled from school?
(a) He thinks being an architect will be more difficult but not impossible.
(b) He is ashamed of himself for being so stupid.
(c) He believes he will never be an architect.
(d) He thinks he was wrong to criticize the classical style.
5. What infuriates Dominique about the replacement fireplace?
(a) It has obscene carvings on it.
(b) It is ugly.
(c) It does not blend in with the architecture of the house.
(d) Roark sends another workman to install it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter do with his "world's most beautiful building" contest design?
2. How does Peter Keating get rid of Claude Stengle?
3. Who takes a shot at Ellsworth Toohey?
4. What is the conflict between Francon and Gail Wynand?
5. What is Lois Cook's criteria for her new house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the difference between Roark and Peter as they attend Kiki Holcombe's party.
2. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
3. In spite of his socialist tutoring from Toohey, Peter retains some sense of "I." How does Rand use Dominique to illustrate that point?
4. Contrast Peter's situation when he goes to get help once again with Roark's willingness to take on the Cortlandt Homes project.
5. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
6. Toohey successfully manipulates Stoddard into hiring Roark to design and build his "temple." When it is finished, Toohey creates an uproar among the public by denouncing it as "blasphemy." Although Dominique regrets the public reaction, she still agrees to testify for Stoddard in the lawsuit he files. How does Dominique explain her actions?
7. What is the danger in Wynand's new found moral attitude after he comes under the influence of Roark?
8. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
9. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
10. Dominique and Roark meet as strangers without names. Like the moth to the flame, Dominique is drawn back again and again to watch Roark at the quarry. Discuss the significance of Roark's domination of Dominique.
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)