|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Roark return to New York?
(a) Roger Enright wants him to design his new house.
(b) Roark fears Dominique may charge him with rape.
(c) Roark and Mike have a disagreement over Dominique.
(d) The quarry runs out of usable stone.
2. What does Toohey say about himself that other people think he is joking about?
(a) He says that he really does not understand architecture.
(b) He says that he is not a humanitarian.
(c) He says that he is a dangerous man.
(d) He says that only he knows how to design buildings.
3. How does Peter Keating get rid of Claude Stengle?
(a) By claiming that Stengle copies his designs
(b) By convincing Francon that Stengle is stealing clients
(c) By rigging an elevator accident
(d) By becoming his best friend
4. What does Peter do with his "world's most beautiful building" contest design?
(a) He reminds the Stanton professor that he graduated from there.
(b) He asks Dominique to give him her suggestions.
(c) He tells Toohey which one is his.
(d) He takes it to Roark for improvement.
5. At the firm of John Eric Snyte, what type of building design is assigned to Roark?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of Heyer's death?
2. What happens when Roark shows up uninvited at Dominique's door?
3. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
4. How is Dominique disappointed in her relationship with Roark?
5. Why does Roark agree to go to the Holcombe party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Toohey supports the striking builders and how it fits in with his socialistic ideas.
2. Discuss the significance of Peter's intimidation by Lois Cook.
3. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
4. As Cameron becomes ill and gives up, Roark continues to think for himself. At the same time, Ellsworth Toohey is gaining a larger following for his idea of collectivity versus individualism. How does this foreshadow the struggles that Roark will face?
5. Explain how Snyte's idea of building by committee underscores the failure to deliver what the client wants.
6. Dominique writes that the Enright house is a "mockery to all the structures of the city." Most people believe that she is panning the building. What is her real meaning?
7. Contrast the difference between Roark and Peter as they attend Kiki Holcombe's party.
8. At the beginning of the novel, Howard Roark stands naked on a granite cliff preparing to dive into the waves below. Describe how this scene sets the stage for the entire novel.
9. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
10. Ellsworth Toohey praises Francon's Melton Building because of its horizontal lines as opposed to the vertical lines of Cameron's skyscrapers. In what way does he think the horizontal lines are superior?
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)