|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Peter want Roark to abandon his plan to open his own firm?
(a) Peter really wants to be partners with Roark.
(b) Peter knows that Roark will fail and wants to save him.
(c) Peter thinks Roark will no longer have time to help him with his designs.
(d) Peter knows the value of Roark's work and fears the competition.
2. What does Toohey call the "Unfinished Symphony"?
(a) Mallory's career as a sculptor.
(b) His plan to destroy Roark.
(c) The Cosmo-Slotnik building.
(d) The Aquitania Hotel project.
3. How does Toohey get offered a job as a Banner columnist?
(a) He threatens to organize a workers' strike.
(b) He offers to work for free.
(c) He is recommended by Francon.
(d) He publishes his book.
4. How is it clear that Peter knows Dominique is in love with another man?
(a) She refuses to move into his apartment.
(b) She refuses to sleep with him.
(c) He accuses her of loving Howard Roark.
(d) He asks her who it is.
5. Why does Katie show up at the apartment of Peter and his mother?
(a) She was overly fond of Peter's mother.
(b) She wanted to break her engagement to Peter.
(c) She had a sudden fear that something was wrong.
(d) She wants to warn Peter about Dominique.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dominique want to do to Roark?
2. Why is the opening of the temple canceled?
3. What is Roark's philosophy about designing a building?
4. When the Heller house is finished, how is it received?
5. Unable to get work as an architect, what does Roark do to earn a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the irony of Peter going to Roark for help with his Cosmo-Slotnik competition design.
2. What are the similarities and differences between Howard Roark and Steven Mallory?
3. Both Dominique and Toohey want to destroy Roark's career. Contrast their reasons for wanting to do so.
4. Even after Dominique gives testimony that should have swayed the jury, Stoddard wins the lawsuit. Gail Wynand cables the "Banner" to fire Dominique. What is the significance of Dominique's reaction to being fired?
5. Discuss Rand's use of premonition in chapter 12 when Katie shows up at Peter's apartment.
6. After being fired from her job, Dominique begins a series of self-punishments. How does Peter Keating come into this picture?
7. In 1892, Henry Cameron was the most promising architect of his day, having introduced the idea of the skyscraper. One year later, the popular classical designs of the Columbian Exposition of Chicago ruined Cameron's career. How does Ayn Rand use this to introduce the ideas of individualism versus socialistic dogma?
8. What is meant by the description of the Stoddard temple as being "like a corpse hacked to pieces and reassembled?"
9. In what way does Mrs. Keating represent all the obstacles Roark will have to face to be true to himself?
10. Dominique and Roark meet as strangers without names. Like the moth to the flame, Dominique is drawn back again and again to watch Roark at the quarry. Discuss the significance of Roark's domination of Dominique.
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)