|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Scarret and Toohey hope for after Roark's visit?
(a) That Wynand is thinking about selling the newspaper.
(b) That they can start writing good things about Roark.
(c) That Wynand will destroy him.
(d) That Roark will finally leave the city.
2. What is Dominique's name at the end of the novel?
(a) Mrs. Gail Wynand.
(b) Mrs. Howard Roark.
(c) Mrs. Ellsworth Toohey.
(d) Dominique Francon, her maiden name.
3. What is Roark's commission at the end of the novel?
(a) He is building a house for him and Dominique.
(b) He is working for Peter and building a new bank.
(c) He is rebuilding the Cortlandt Homes project.
(d) He is building the Wynand building in Hell's Kitchen.
4. What does Toohey do with the contract between Roark and Peter when he gets it from Peter?
(a) He would like to burn it, but he turns it over to the DA.
(b) He gives it back to Peter.
(c) He tears it to shreds.
(d) He puts it in a bottle and drops it in the ocean.
5. Although Wynand actually does love Dominique, what is more important to him in their relationship?
(a) That she is so different from him.
(b) The fact that he owns her.
(c) That she is so influential in society.
(d) That their marriage is romantic.
6. How does Toohey react when Wynand forbids any mention of Roark in the "Banner"?
(a) Toohey goes into a rage.
(b) Toohey goes out and gets drunk.
(c) Toohey plans to write a book attacking Roark.
(d) Toohey smiles.
7. Why does the new drama critic at the "Banner" promote Ike's new play that everyone says is bad?
(a) He wants to make Toohey look stupid.
(b) He feels sorry for Ike and wants to help him.
(c) He really knows nothing about being a drama critic.
(d) He wants people to think it is good because he said so.
8. Wynand once threatened to kill Roark and Dominique if they got together. Why does he not do it?
(a) He knows he would be the first suspect if they were murdered.
(b) He would rather kill himself.
(c) He still likes Roark and does not want to harm him.
(d) He feels guilty about turning on Roark.
9. How is Gail Wynand able to build the Wynand building after shutting down the "Banner"?
(a) He has just enough of his fortune left to do it.
(b) He sells his yacht.
(c) He uses money he had hidden in the Bahamas.
(d) He sells the house Roark built for him and Dominique.
10. What is the next project Wynand wants Roark to take on?
(a) A vacation house in the Bahamas.
(b) The city courthouse.
(c) An addition to the Wynand house.
(d) The Wynand Building in Hell's Kitchen.
11. After looking at the Cortlandt Homes designs, who recognizes immediately that they were drawn by Roark?
(a) Mallory and Enright
(b) Francon and Katie
(c) Toohey and Scarret
(d) Wynand and Dominique
12. What do Gail Wynand and Dominique discuss when they go sailing?
(a) The weather
13. How does Toohey make his move to take over the "Banner"?
(a) By recalling the paper that had his article in it.
(b) By writing an article denouncing Roark.
(c) By leaving quietly after he is fired.
(d) By buying more of the paper's stock.
14. How does Wynand try to manipulate Roark?
(a) He has Roark promise never to use Mallory on any of his buildings.
(b) He threatens to ruin Roark if he does not design according to Wynand's wishes.
(c) He reminds Roark that Toohey will attack his work if he does not agree with Wynand on everything.
(d) He threatens to see that Roark never sees Dominique again.
15. What is it that Peter does not understand, has never understood, about Roark?
(a) That Roark always holds out for more money.
(b) That Roark is as much a fake as he is.
(c) That Roark's finished work is the only thing important to him.
(d) That Roark just wants to be controversial and difficult.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is behind Wynand's association with Roark and Dominique?
2. How does Dominique feel about the Wynand building?
3. What in the relationship between Roark and Wynand is distressing to Dominique?
4. What does Roark discover about Cortlandt Homes when he returns for the sailing trip with Wynand?
5. Why does Toohey tell a policeman to arrest him?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)