|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Roark's reaction to Peter's request that he design the Cortlandt Homes project for low rent housing?
(a) Roark agrees to do it and let Peter put his name on it.
(b) Roark goes out and gets the contract for himself.
(c) Roark flatly refuses Peter this time.
(d) Roark agrees to do it if Peter puts Roark's name on it.
2. What condition does Roark place on doing the Cortlandt Homes design?
(a) Peter will have to oversee the construction personally.
(b) Toohey must agree to Roark's involvement.
(c) Nothing can be changed on it.
(d) No one can see the designs until the project is finished.
3. What do Roark and Wynand agree on as they look at the land Wynand bought for his house?
(a) Roark agrees to let Wynand dictate the design.
(b) They agree that the house should be entirely of wood.
(c) Wynand agrees that Roark should consult Dominique.
(d) They agree on the site for the house.
4. Where does Wynand feel the best setting is for Roark?
(a) In a house like the one he's building for Wynand.
(b) On his yacht.
(c) In a board room.
(d) At an unfinished building site.
5. What does Wynand do with the letter Roark sends him?
(a) Publishes it in the newspaper.
(b) Returns it unopened.
(c) Tears it up.
(d) Reads it and throws it away.
6. Why does Wynand say he will not destroy Dominique?
(a) She agreed to marry him.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) He does not know how.
(d) She is more powerful than he is.
7. How is Gail Wynand able to build the Wynand building after shutting down the "Banner"?
(a) He uses money he had hidden in the Bahamas.
(b) He sells the house Roark built for him and Dominique.
(c) He sells his yacht.
(d) He has just enough of his fortune left to do it.
8. Why is Dominique jealous after the house is built?
(a) She is jealous because she says Wynand loves her statue and not her.
(b) She is jealous of the people who still write for the newspaper.
(c) She is jealous of Katie who is now seeing Roark.
(d) She is jealous of Roark's friendship with Wynand.
9. What is the sole evidence the prosecution enters against Roark?
(a) Peter's testimony and the agreement he had with Roark.
(b) Roark's confession that he blew up Cortlandt Homes.
(c) Dominique's testamony that she helped Roark.
(d) The detonator that had Roark's fingerprints on it.
10. Why is Peter unhappy in his marriage?
(a) Dominique still refuses to sleep with him.
(b) Dominique will not talk to him except at parties.
(c) Dominique is compliant and agrees with anything he says.
(d) Dominique always compares him to Roark.
11. How did the "Banner" review of the play "No Skin Off Your Nose" affect its success?
(a) It wins the Pulitzer Prize for drama.
(b) It closes right after opening.
(c) The public pans the play.
(d) It became a smash hit.
12. Why, according to Roark, was Peter destroyed?
(a) Because he helped Peter.
(b) Because he married Dominique when he did not love her.
(c) Because he caused Heyer's death.
(d) Because he refused to listen to Toohey.
13. What special honor does Wynand give to Dominique?
(a) He buys her a diamond necklace.
(b) He shows her his private art gallery.
(c) He makes her his personal assistant at the newspaper.
(d) He puts her statue in the lobby of the Banner.
14. How does Toohey make his move to take over the "Banner"?
(a) By writing an article denouncing Roark.
(b) By buying more of the paper's stock.
(c) By leaving quietly after he is fired.
(d) By recalling the paper that had his article in it.
15. How do we know that Wynand is not always aware of what his newspaper prints?
(a) He has to ask Dominique who Roark is.
(b) He never comes in to the newspaper office.
(c) He trusts his writers to write with integrity.
(d) He asks for all the articles on Roark after his visit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Wynand actually does love Dominique, what is more important to him in their relationship?
2. When Dominique and Wynand return early from their cruise, what is Peter's concern?
3. Why has Toohey orchestrated attacks on the "Banner"?
4. What is Toohey's motivation to have Wynand meet Dominique?
5. Why is the defeat so devastating to Wynand?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)