|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Toohey begins to promote architecture that is stark and plain. Who gets the credit for the concept?
(c) The Stanton School of Architecture
2. Where does Wynand feel the best setting is for Roark?
(a) In a board room.
(b) On his yacht.
(c) At an unfinished building site.
(d) In a house like the one he's building for Wynand.
3. What sin does Peter confess after seeing Katie again?
(a) Not taking his mother's advice to marry Katie.
(b) Not marrying her after sleeping with her.
(c) Not marrying her when he wanted to.
(d) Leading her on when he never intended to marry her.
4. What does Roark discover about Cortlandt Homes when he returns for the sailing trip with Wynand?
(a) Peter decided to change the plans.
(b) The plans were changed from his design.
(c) The project is just as he designed it.
(d) His designs were faulty.
5. Why does the new drama critic at the "Banner" promote Ike's new play that everyone says is bad?
(a) He wants people to think it is good because he said so.
(b) He really knows nothing about being a drama critic.
(c) He feels sorry for Ike and wants to help him.
(d) He wants to make Toohey look stupid.
6. Peter returns to his first love. What is that?
(b) Writing short stories.
(d) Ballroom dancing.
7. Why has Toohey orchestrated attacks on the "Banner"?
(a) He is getting back at Wynand for marrying Dominique.
(b) It is just a joke he is playing.
(c) It is part of his plan to take it over.
(d) He knows opposition sells papers.
8. What is Roark's commission at the end of the novel?
(a) He is working for Peter and building a new bank.
(b) He is rebuilding the Cortlandt Homes project.
(c) He is building the Wynand building in Hell's Kitchen.
(d) He is building a house for him and Dominique.
9. Although Wynand actually does love Dominique, what is more important to him in their relationship?
(a) That she is so different from him.
(b) The fact that he owns her.
(c) That their marriage is romantic.
(d) That she is so influential in society.
10. How did the "Banner" review of the play "No Skin Off Your Nose" affect its success?
(a) It wins the Pulitzer Prize for drama.
(b) It closes right after opening.
(c) It became a smash hit.
(d) The public pans the play.
11. What special honor does Wynand give to Dominique?
(a) He buys her a diamond necklace.
(b) He puts her statue in the lobby of the Banner.
(c) He shows her his private art gallery.
(d) He makes her his personal assistant at the newspaper.
12. Who takes over the Cortlandt Homes project?
(a) Gail Wynand.
(b) Ellsworth Toohey.
(c) Roger Enright.
(d) Dominique Francon.
13. Why does Wynand say he will not destroy Dominique?
(a) He does not know how.
(b) She agreed to marry him.
(c) She is more powerful than he is.
(d) She is a woman.
14. What conclusion do Dominique and Wynand agree on?
(a) To love equally all people is to hate mankind.
(b) It is impossible to be happy in life.
(c) To live in luxury is the meaning of life.
(d) To be charitable is to change the world.
15. How does Wynand react when he discovers that Dominique helped Roark destroy Cortlandt Homes?
(a) He writes editorials condemning Roark.
(b) He becomes intently jealous.
(c) He threatens to expose them.
(d) He approves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What underhanded trick do the Aquitania Hotel developers play that backfires on them?
2. What is the gift Toohey sends to Gail Wynand?
3. Where is Katie living now?
4. How does Dominique continue to punish herself?
5. When Dominique and Wynand return early from their cruise, what is Peter's concern?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)