|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Toohey and Scarret worried about the marriage of Dominique and Wynand?
(a) They fear that Dominique will make changes in the paper.
(b) They think Dominique plans to get them fired.
(c) They think Dominique is making a personal mistake.
(d) They think Wynand will be around more after the marriage.
2. What becomes of Gail Wynand?
(a) He sets fire to his house and dies in the flames.
(b) He sees himself as dead and the Wynand building as his memorial marker.
(c) He jumps from the top of the Wynand building.
(d) He goes to sea and is lost.
3. What is Roark's commission at the end of the novel?
(a) He is working for Peter and building a new bank.
(b) He is building the Wynand building in Hell's Kitchen.
(c) He is rebuilding the Cortlandt Homes project.
(d) He is building a house for him and Dominique.
4. When does Peter become the head of the architecture firm?
(a) When Toohey buys an interest in the firm.
(b) When Dominique decides not to divorce him.
(c) When Neil Durant becomes a partner.
(d) When Francon retires.
5. What is the main feature of Roark's design for Monadnock Vacation village?
(a) Privacy and uniqueness.
(b) Clusters of closely situated houses.
(c) A central shopping area.
(d) Large houses with open spaces around them.
6. What does Wynand do with the letter Roark sends him?
(a) Returns it unopened.
(b) Tears it up.
(c) Reads it and throws it away.
(d) Publishes it in the newspaper.
7. What happens when a "Banner" reporter interviews Dominique?
(a) Wynand fires the reporter.
(b) Wynand locks Dominique in their penthouse.
(c) Dominique refuses to talk to her.
(d) It becomes the first reference to the marriage in the press.
8. What becomes of Toohey?
(a) He goes to jail for attempting to kill Roark.
(b) He has a heart attack and dies.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) He starts all over again at another newspaper.
9. How does Dominique get publicity that gets Wynand to divorce her?
(a) She reveals that she was the model who posed nude for Mallory's statue.
(b) She publicly files for divorce from Wynand.
(c) She takes a job at a rival newspaper.
(d) She notifies the police that she is staying with Roark and a valuable ring has been stolen.
10. Why does Wynand say he will not destroy Dominique?
(a) She is more powerful than he is.
(b) He does not know how.
(c) She is a woman.
(d) She agreed to marry him.
11. What is the condition for Peter's getting the Stoneridge Homes project?
(a) Peter must hire Mallory to do some sculptures.
(b) Dominique must go alone with Wynand on a cruise.
(c) Dominique must stay married to Peter.
(d) Peter must tell Francon he is using Dominique to get the job.
12. What legal right does Roark maintain gave him the authority to destroy Cortlandt Homes?
(a) The Fifth Amendment.
(b) Free speech.
(c) His aesthetic superiority.
(d) Breach of contract.
13. What is the meaning of the name of Wynand's yacht, the "I do"?
(a) It means I do own a yacht.
(b) It means I do run things.
(c) It means I can do as I please.
(d) It means I like to be married.
14. Why does Wynand go often to the building site where Roark is working?
(a) He want to make sure Roark is following orders.
(b) He finds real peace when he goes there.
(c) He cannot remember from day to day what it looks like.
(d) He wants to reassure himself that he made the right choice.
15. What special honor does Wynand give to Dominique?
(a) He makes her his personal assistant at the newspaper.
(b) He shows her his private art gallery.
(c) He buys her a diamond necklace.
(d) He puts her statue in the lobby of the Banner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sin does Peter confess after seeing Katie again?
2. Toohey begins to promote architecture that is stark and plain. Who gets the credit for the concept?
3. What in the relationship between Roark and Wynand is distressing to Dominique?
4. Who comes to help Wynand when the union strikes and there is no staff at the newspaper?
5. What is the basic difference between Roark and Wynand?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)