|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What special honor does Wynand give to Dominique?
(a) He puts her statue in the lobby of the Banner.
(b) He makes her his personal assistant at the newspaper.
(c) He shows her his private art gallery.
(d) He buys her a diamond necklace.
2. Why are Toohey and Scarret worried about the marriage of Dominique and Wynand?
(a) They think Dominique plans to get them fired.
(b) They fear that Dominique will make changes in the paper.
(c) They think Wynand will be around more after the marriage.
(d) They think Dominique is making a personal mistake.
3. What does Peter discover is the real reason behind Toohey's socialist tirades?
(a) That Toohey really believes what he says.
(b) That Toohey plans to take over the world.
(c) That Toohey really wants power.
(d) That Toohey is the only one who can save society.
4. What motivates Dominique to accept Wynand's marriage proposal?
(a) It is just another accomplishment for her.
(b) It is another means for her own self-punishment.
(c) She sees that Wynand has more money than Peter.
(d) She thinks it is another way to destroy Roark.
5. What becomes of Toohey?
(a) He has a heart attack and dies.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) He starts all over again at another newspaper.
(d) He goes to jail for attempting to kill Roark.
6. What does Wynand admit to Roark?
(a) That he does not actually own the Banner.
(b) That the Banner's support of Roark had actually hurt him.
(c) That he has no money left.
(d) That the Banner cannot hurt Roark.
7. What does Roark discover about Cortlandt Homes when he returns for the sailing trip with Wynand?
(a) The plans were changed from his design.
(b) Peter decided to change the plans.
(c) His designs were faulty.
(d) The project is just as he designed it.
8. After Dominique returns from Reno, where are she and Wynand married?
(a) On board Wynand's yacht.
(b) At the Noyes-Belmont Hotel.
(c) In the Banner building.
(d) At city hall.
9. What condition does Roark place on doing the Cortlandt Homes design?
(a) No one can see the designs until the project is finished.
(b) Peter will have to oversee the construction personally.
(c) Toohey must agree to Roark's involvement.
(d) Nothing can be changed on it.
10. What is the basic difference between Roark and Wynand?
(a) Wynand wants to possess Dominique; Roark values only his freedom.
(b) Roark wants to please everyone; Wynand wants to please only himself.
(c) Wynand wants to conquer other people; Roark wants to conquer himself.
(d) Wynand came from privilege; Roark came from poverty.
11. When Dominique and Wynand return early from their cruise, what is Peter's concern?
(a) That Toohey has done something to destroy him.
(b) That Dominique will not divorce him.
(c) That they will go on another cruise.
(d) That he will not get his commission.
12. Why has Toohey orchestrated attacks on the "Banner"?
(a) He knows opposition sells papers.
(b) He is getting back at Wynand for marrying Dominique.
(c) It is just a joke he is playing.
(d) It is part of his plan to take it over.
13. Who visits Peter after he goes into seclusion?
14. What is the next project Wynand wants Roark to take on?
(a) An addition to the Wynand house.
(b) A vacation house in the Bahamas.
(c) The city courthouse.
(d) The Wynand Building in Hell's Kitchen.
15. Why does the new drama critic at the "Banner" promote Ike's new play that everyone says is bad?
(a) He feels sorry for Ike and wants to help him.
(b) He really knows nothing about being a drama critic.
(c) He wants to make Toohey look stupid.
(d) He wants people to think it is good because he said so.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toohey demand be done with Roark?
2. How does Wynand react when he discovers that Dominique helped Roark destroy Cortlandt Homes?
3. Where does Toohey insist that true freedom is found?
4. Where does Wynand feel the best setting is for Roark?
5. Why does Wynand drop the gun after contemplating suicide?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)