|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Peter gets the design for "The March of the Centuries" exposition at the World's Fair. Why did Roark turn it down?
(a) He would have to work with other architects.
(b) It was all donated time without any payment.
(c) He did not like the idea of a World's Fair.
(d) It was too much for one man to do.
2. What is Roark's reaction to Peter's request that he design the Cortlandt Homes project for low rent housing?
(a) Roark agrees to do it and let Peter put his name on it.
(b) Roark goes out and gets the contract for himself.
(c) Roark agrees to do it if Peter puts Roark's name on it.
(d) Roark flatly refuses Peter this time.
3. What happens when a "Banner" reporter interviews Dominique?
(a) Dominique refuses to talk to her.
(b) It becomes the first reference to the marriage in the press.
(c) Wynand fires the reporter.
(d) Wynand locks Dominique in their penthouse.
4. Who visits Peter after he goes into seclusion?
5. What is the sole evidence the prosecution enters against Roark?
(a) Dominique's testamony that she helped Roark.
(b) The detonator that had Roark's fingerprints on it.
(c) Peter's testimony and the agreement he had with Roark.
(d) Roark's confession that he blew up Cortlandt Homes.
6. What finally persuades Wynand to meet Dominique?
(a) He learns that Dominique is married.
(b) He thinks Toohey will not give him the sculpture if he does not agree to meet her.
(c) Toohey threatens to resign if he will not meet with her.
(d) He wants to meet the model for the statue.
7. Why does Wynand drop the gun after contemplating suicide?
(a) He needs to get right with God.
(b) He remembers how he drove other people to suicide.
(c) He has not made arrangements for someone to inherit.
(d) He has no fear of dying but is afraid of living.
8. How does Toohey react when Wynand forbids any mention of Roark in the "Banner"?
(a) Toohey plans to write a book attacking Roark.
(b) Toohey goes out and gets drunk.
(c) Toohey goes into a rage.
(d) Toohey smiles.
9. What is the basic difference between Roark and Wynand?
(a) Wynand wants to possess Dominique; Roark values only his freedom.
(b) Roark wants to please everyone; Wynand wants to please only himself.
(c) Wynand came from privilege; Roark came from poverty.
(d) Wynand wants to conquer other people; Roark wants to conquer himself.
10. How does Wynand react when he discovers that Dominique helped Roark destroy Cortlandt Homes?
(a) He approves.
(b) He threatens to expose them.
(c) He becomes intently jealous.
(d) He writes editorials condemning Roark.
11. What underhanded trick do the Aquitania Hotel developers play that backfires on them?
(a) Refusing to pay Roark when the project was late being finished.
(b) Knowing they were going backrupt, they sold properties anyway.
(c) Hiring Roark so that everyone would think he was responsible for the bankruptcy.
(d) Over-selling the properties by 200% in the hopes they would go bankrupt.
12. Who finally tells Gail Wynand the name of the sculptor who did the statue Toohey gave him?
13. What causes Wynand to lose respect for integrity?
(a) He discovers that writers often do not believe their own words.
(b) He knows that he cannot be honest with anyone.
(c) He does not lose respect for integrity. He always insists that all reporters tell the truth.
(d) He decides that only crime pays.
14. What do Scarret and Toohey hope for after Roark's visit?
(a) That Roark will finally leave the city.
(b) That they can start writing good things about Roark.
(c) That Wynand is thinking about selling the newspaper.
(d) That Wynand will destroy him.
15. What does Toohey demand be done with Roark?
(a) He wants him executed.
(b) He wants Roark to make a public apology.
(c) He wants Roark to rebuild using his original plans.
(d) He wants to free Roark.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Toohey get his job back at the "Banner"?
2. What is the condition for Peter's getting the Stoneridge Homes project?
3. What condition does Roark place on doing the Cortlandt Homes design?
4. How does Dominique discover that Roark will be the architect for her new house?
5. How does Wynand try to manipulate Roark?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)