|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Toohey orchestrated attacks on the "Banner"?
(a) He knows opposition sells papers.
(b) It is part of his plan to take it over.
(c) It is just a joke he is playing.
(d) He is getting back at Wynand for marrying Dominique.
2. Who visits Peter after he goes into seclusion?
3. When does Peter become the head of the architecture firm?
(a) When Toohey buys an interest in the firm.
(b) When Dominique decides not to divorce him.
(c) When Neil Durant becomes a partner.
(d) When Francon retires.
4. Peter returns to his first love. What is that?
(b) Writing short stories.
(c) Ballroom dancing.
5. How does Wynand get the last laugh on Toohey.
(a) He rewrites everything Toohey does.
(b) He puts Toohey's articles in the sports section.
(c) He pushes Toohey into the presses, killing him.
(d) He buys out the stock holders and shuts down the paper.
6. Toohey begins to promote architecture that is stark and plain. Who gets the credit for the concept?
(b) The Stanton School of Architecture
7. What does Katie feel for Peter when they meet by accident on the street?
8. Why, according to Roark, was Peter destroyed?
(a) Because he refused to listen to Toohey.
(b) Because he caused Heyer's death.
(c) Because he married Dominique when he did not love her.
(d) Because he helped Peter.
9. How does Roark define "selflessness"?
(a) As thinking for oneself.
(b) As something that will destroy the world.
(c) As a way to promote independence.
(d) As the greatest thing someone can do.
10. What underhanded trick do the Aquitania Hotel developers play that backfires on them?
(a) Refusing to pay Roark when the project was late being finished.
(b) Knowing they were going backrupt, they sold properties anyway.
(c) Hiring Roark so that everyone would think he was responsible for the bankruptcy.
(d) Over-selling the properties by 200% in the hopes they would go bankrupt.
11. What gives evidence that Toohey intends to take over the "Banner"?
(a) He tries to bring back Dominique.
(b) He starts buying Banner stock.
(c) He is secretly supporting the opposition to Wynand.
(d) He encourages Wynand to go on a long honeymoon.
12. What is the sole evidence the prosecution enters against Roark?
(a) The detonator that had Roark's fingerprints on it.
(b) Dominique's testamony that she helped Roark.
(c) Peter's testimony and the agreement he had with Roark.
(d) Roark's confession that he blew up Cortlandt Homes.
13. Why does the new drama critic at the "Banner" promote Ike's new play that everyone says is bad?
(a) He wants people to think it is good because he said so.
(b) He wants to make Toohey look stupid.
(c) He feels sorry for Ike and wants to help him.
(d) He really knows nothing about being a drama critic.
14. What happens when a "Banner" reporter interviews Dominique?
(a) Wynand fires the reporter.
(b) Dominique refuses to talk to her.
(c) It becomes the first reference to the marriage in the press.
(d) Wynand locks Dominique in their penthouse.
15. What is the main feature of Roark's design for Monadnock Vacation village?
(a) Privacy and uniqueness.
(b) Large houses with open spaces around them.
(c) Clusters of closely situated houses.
(d) A central shopping area.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of Roark's going to see Wynand about designing his house?
2. What becomes of Gail Wynand?
3. Wynand once threatened to kill Roark and Dominique if they got together. Why does he not do it?
4. How does Toohey get his job back at the "Banner"?
5. What horrifies Dominique a month after the Wynand house is finished?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)