|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Toohey react when Wynand forbids any mention of Roark in the "Banner"?
(a) Toohey goes out and gets drunk.
(b) Toohey smiles.
(c) Toohey plans to write a book attacking Roark.
(d) Toohey goes into a rage.
2. How does Dominique feel about the Wynand building?
(a) She sees it as the heart of the earth rising to the sky.
(b) She hates it because it reminds her of her marriage to Wynand.
(c) She regrets that she was never able to destroy Roark.
(d) It is just another building to her.
3. What do Roark and Wynand agree on as they look at the land Wynand bought for his house?
(a) Roark agrees to let Wynand dictate the design.
(b) Wynand agrees that Roark should consult Dominique.
(c) They agree that the house should be entirely of wood.
(d) They agree on the site for the house.
4. What is the condition for Peter's getting the Stoneridge Homes project?
(a) Peter must hire Mallory to do some sculptures.
(b) Dominique must stay married to Peter.
(c) Peter must tell Francon he is using Dominique to get the job.
(d) Dominique must go alone with Wynand on a cruise.
5. Although Wynand actually does love Dominique, what is more important to him in their relationship?
(a) That she is so different from him.
(b) That their marriage is romantic.
(c) That she is so influential in society.
(d) The fact that he owns her.
6. On her way to Reno, why does Dominique stop over in Clayton, Ohio?
(a) She is tired of the long train ride.
(b) She changes her mind about divorcing Peter.
(c) Roark is there building a new building.
(d) Mallory is there waiting for her.
7. How does Wynand try to manipulate Roark?
(a) He threatens to ruin Roark if he does not design according to Wynand's wishes.
(b) He threatens to see that Roark never sees Dominique again.
(c) He reminds Roark that Toohey will attack his work if he does not agree with Wynand on everything.
(d) He has Roark promise never to use Mallory on any of his buildings.
8. How do we know that Wynand is not always aware of what his newspaper prints?
(a) He never comes in to the newspaper office.
(b) He asks for all the articles on Roark after his visit.
(c) He has to ask Dominique who Roark is.
(d) He trusts his writers to write with integrity.
9. Why does Wynand drop the gun after contemplating suicide?
(a) He remembers how he drove other people to suicide.
(b) He has no fear of dying but is afraid of living.
(c) He has not made arrangements for someone to inherit.
(d) He needs to get right with God.
10. What underhanded trick do the Aquitania Hotel developers play that backfires on them?
(a) Over-selling the properties by 200% in the hopes they would go bankrupt.
(b) Hiring Roark so that everyone would think he was responsible for the bankruptcy.
(c) Knowing they were going backrupt, they sold properties anyway.
(d) Refusing to pay Roark when the project was late being finished.
11. Who works with the board of directors to save the paper?
12. Who visits Peter after he goes into seclusion?
13. What is the main feature of Roark's design for Monadnock Vacation village?
(a) Clusters of closely situated houses.
(b) Large houses with open spaces around them.
(c) A central shopping area.
(d) Privacy and uniqueness.
14. After blowing up the Cortlandt Homes housing project, what does Roark do?
(a) Kills himself.
(b) Leaves the country.
(c) Gets Dominique to give him a false alibi.
(d) Turns himself over to the police.
15. What does Katie feel for Peter when they meet by accident on the street?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Katie living now?
2. What horrifies Dominique a month after the Wynand house is finished?
3. What conclusion do Dominique and Wynand agree on?
4. What is the meaning of the name of Wynand's yacht, the "I do"?
5. What is Roark's commission at the end of the novel?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)