|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives evidence that Toohey intends to take over the "Banner"?
(a) He is secretly supporting the opposition to Wynand.
(b) He starts buying Banner stock.
(c) He tries to bring back Dominique.
(d) He encourages Wynand to go on a long honeymoon.
2. When does Peter become the head of the architecture firm?
(a) When Francon retires.
(b) When Dominique decides not to divorce him.
(c) When Neil Durant becomes a partner.
(d) When Toohey buys an interest in the firm.
3. Who helps Roark blow up the Cortlandt Homes project?
4. What becomes of Toohey?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He starts all over again at another newspaper.
(c) He has a heart attack and dies.
(d) He goes to jail for attempting to kill Roark.
5. What does Wynand admit to Roark?
(a) That the Banner's support of Roark had actually hurt him.
(b) That he does not actually own the Banner.
(c) That he has no money left.
(d) That the Banner cannot hurt Roark.
6. What finally persuades Wynand to meet Dominique?
(a) He wants to meet the model for the statue.
(b) He learns that Dominique is married.
(c) Toohey threatens to resign if he will not meet with her.
(d) He thinks Toohey will not give him the sculpture if he does not agree to meet her.
7. Why does the new drama critic at the "Banner" promote Ike's new play that everyone says is bad?
(a) He really knows nothing about being a drama critic.
(b) He feels sorry for Ike and wants to help him.
(c) He wants to make Toohey look stupid.
(d) He wants people to think it is good because he said so.
8. Why is Dominique jealous after the house is built?
(a) She is jealous of Katie who is now seeing Roark.
(b) She is jealous of Roark's friendship with Wynand.
(c) She is jealous because she says Wynand loves her statue and not her.
(d) She is jealous of the people who still write for the newspaper.
9. After blowing up the Cortlandt Homes housing project, what does Roark do?
(a) Leaves the country.
(b) Gets Dominique to give him a false alibi.
(c) Turns himself over to the police.
(d) Kills himself.
10. How does Dominique get publicity that gets Wynand to divorce her?
(a) She publicly files for divorce from Wynand.
(b) She reveals that she was the model who posed nude for Mallory's statue.
(c) She notifies the police that she is staying with Roark and a valuable ring has been stolen.
(d) She takes a job at a rival newspaper.
11. What does Peter discover is the real reason behind Toohey's socialist tirades?
(a) That Toohey plans to take over the world.
(b) That Toohey really wants power.
(c) That Toohey really believes what he says.
(d) That Toohey is the only one who can save society.
12. What is the basic difference between Roark and Wynand?
(a) Roark wants to please everyone; Wynand wants to please only himself.
(b) Wynand wants to conquer other people; Roark wants to conquer himself.
(c) Wynand came from privilege; Roark came from poverty.
(d) Wynand wants to possess Dominique; Roark values only his freedom.
13. What does Toohey demand be done with Roark?
(a) He wants him executed.
(b) He wants to free Roark.
(c) He wants Roark to make a public apology.
(d) He wants Roark to rebuild using his original plans.
14. How do we know that Wynand is not always aware of what his newspaper prints?
(a) He asks for all the articles on Roark after his visit.
(b) He never comes in to the newspaper office.
(c) He trusts his writers to write with integrity.
(d) He has to ask Dominique who Roark is.
15. What does Katie feel for Peter when they meet by accident on the street?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Roark and Wynand agree on as they look at the land Wynand bought for his house?
2. Who finally tells Gail Wynand the name of the sculptor who did the statue Toohey gave him?
3. What is Roark's reaction to Peter's request that he design the Cortlandt Homes project for low rent housing?
4. What is the irony of Roark's going to see Wynand about designing his house?
5. What is the main feature of Roark's design for Monadnock Vacation village?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)