|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What underhanded trick do the Aquitania Hotel developers play that backfires on them?
(a) Hiring Roark so that everyone would think he was responsible for the bankruptcy.
(b) Knowing they were going backrupt, they sold properties anyway.
(c) Over-selling the properties by 200% in the hopes they would go bankrupt.
(d) Refusing to pay Roark when the project was late being finished.
2. After looking at the Cortlandt Homes designs, who recognizes immediately that they were drawn by Roark?
(a) Francon and Katie
(b) Mallory and Enright
(c) Toohey and Scarret
(d) Wynand and Dominique
3. What is the sole evidence the prosecution enters against Roark?
(a) The detonator that had Roark's fingerprints on it.
(b) Peter's testimony and the agreement he had with Roark.
(c) Dominique's testamony that she helped Roark.
(d) Roark's confession that he blew up Cortlandt Homes.
4. On her way to Reno, why does Dominique stop over in Clayton, Ohio?
(a) Roark is there building a new building.
(b) She is tired of the long train ride.
(c) Mallory is there waiting for her.
(d) She changes her mind about divorcing Peter.
5. What conclusion do Dominique and Wynand agree on?
(a) To live in luxury is the meaning of life.
(b) To be charitable is to change the world.
(c) It is impossible to be happy in life.
(d) To love equally all people is to hate mankind.
6. What special honor does Wynand give to Dominique?
(a) He buys her a diamond necklace.
(b) He shows her his private art gallery.
(c) He puts her statue in the lobby of the Banner.
(d) He makes her his personal assistant at the newspaper.
7. Why does Wynand go often to the building site where Roark is working?
(a) He want to make sure Roark is following orders.
(b) He cannot remember from day to day what it looks like.
(c) He finds real peace when he goes there.
(d) He wants to reassure himself that he made the right choice.
8. Toohey begins to promote architecture that is stark and plain. Who gets the credit for the concept?
(b) The Stanton School of Architecture
9. What is the gift Toohey sends to Gail Wynand?
(a) A painting of the Banner building.
(b) A plaque for community service.
(c) A copy of his book.
(d) The Mallory statue.
10. What do Gail Wynand and Dominique discuss when they go sailing?
(c) The weather
11. What condition does Roark place on doing the Cortlandt Homes design?
(a) Nothing can be changed on it.
(b) No one can see the designs until the project is finished.
(c) Peter will have to oversee the construction personally.
(d) Toohey must agree to Roark's involvement.
12. Peter gets the design for "The March of the Centuries" exposition at the World's Fair. Why did Roark turn it down?
(a) He did not like the idea of a World's Fair.
(b) He would have to work with other architects.
(c) It was too much for one man to do.
(d) It was all donated time without any payment.
13. Who comes to help Wynand when the union strikes and there is no staff at the newspaper?
14. What is the irony of Roark's going to see Wynand about designing his house?
(a) It is the only way Roark can now even see Dominique.
(b) Roark likes Wynand but hates his newspaper.
(c) Wynand's newspaper attacked Roark and Wynand has taken Dominique away.
(d) Roark is now prepared to compromise his principles.
15. What legal right does Roark maintain gave him the authority to destroy Cortlandt Homes?
(a) Breach of contract.
(b) His aesthetic superiority.
(c) The Fifth Amendment.
(d) Free speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finally tells Gail Wynand the name of the sculptor who did the statue Toohey gave him?
2. What is Roark's commission at the end of the novel?
3. What does Wynand do with the letter Roark sends him?
4. Why does Wynand say he will not destroy Dominique?
5. What horrifies Dominique a month after the Wynand house is finished?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)