|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Toohey insist that true freedom is found?
(a) In service to others.
(b) On a deserted island.
(c) On a mountaintop.
(d) In political activism.
2. Why does Toohey tell a policeman to arrest him?
(a) So he can get the publicity.
(b) To protect the innocent.
(c) To keep him from murdering Wynand.
(d) To protect the guilty.
3. What finally defeats Wynand?
(a) Accepting Toohey back at the paper.
(b) Selling off his stock in the paper.
(c) Public opinion.
(d) Changing his position on Roark.
4. After looking at the Cortlandt Homes designs, who recognizes immediately that they were drawn by Roark?
(a) Francon and Katie
(b) Toohey and Scarret
(c) Wynand and Dominique
(d) Mallory and Enright
5. What finally persuades Wynand to meet Dominique?
(a) He learns that Dominique is married.
(b) Toohey threatens to resign if he will not meet with her.
(c) He wants to meet the model for the statue.
(d) He thinks Toohey will not give him the sculpture if he does not agree to meet her.
6. How does Wynand try to manipulate Roark?
(a) He has Roark promise never to use Mallory on any of his buildings.
(b) He reminds Roark that Toohey will attack his work if he does not agree with Wynand on everything.
(c) He threatens to see that Roark never sees Dominique again.
(d) He threatens to ruin Roark if he does not design according to Wynand's wishes.
7. What is behind Wynand's association with Roark and Dominique?
(a) He wants to get them back together.
(b) He knows this is a way to punish Dominique.
(c) He collects people he wants to possess.
(d) He enjoys seeing them uncomfortable around each other.
8. How does Toohey get his job back at the "Banner"?
(a) By blackmailing Scarret.
(b) By retracting everything bad he ever said about Roark.
(c) By court order.
(d) By apologizing to Wynand.
9. Peter gets the design for "The March of the Centuries" exposition at the World's Fair. Why did Roark turn it down?
(a) He did not like the idea of a World's Fair.
(b) He would have to work with other architects.
(c) It was too much for one man to do.
(d) It was all donated time without any payment.
10. Why does Wynand say he will not destroy Dominique?
(a) She agreed to marry him.
(b) She is a woman.
(c) She is more powerful than he is.
(d) He does not know how.
11. Why does the new drama critic at the "Banner" promote Ike's new play that everyone says is bad?
(a) He really knows nothing about being a drama critic.
(b) He feels sorry for Ike and wants to help him.
(c) He wants people to think it is good because he said so.
(d) He wants to make Toohey look stupid.
12. What underhanded trick do the Aquitania Hotel developers play that backfires on them?
(a) Hiring Roark so that everyone would think he was responsible for the bankruptcy.
(b) Knowing they were going backrupt, they sold properties anyway.
(c) Refusing to pay Roark when the project was late being finished.
(d) Over-selling the properties by 200% in the hopes they would go bankrupt.
13. What special honor does Wynand give to Dominique?
(a) He puts her statue in the lobby of the Banner.
(b) He buys her a diamond necklace.
(c) He makes her his personal assistant at the newspaper.
(d) He shows her his private art gallery.
14. Why has Toohey orchestrated attacks on the "Banner"?
(a) He is getting back at Wynand for marrying Dominique.
(b) It is just a joke he is playing.
(c) It is part of his plan to take it over.
(d) He knows opposition sells papers.
15. What common trait in both Wynand and Roark does Dominique notice?
(a) Neither of them satisfies her sexually.
(b) They both want people to love them.
(c) They are both uncomfortable in large crowds.
(d) They both have the same lack of integrety.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Toohey and Scarret worried about the marriage of Dominique and Wynand?
2. How does Dominique continue to punish herself?
3. Why does Wynand drop the gun after contemplating suicide?
4. How does Dominique compare the success of Ike's play with the destruction of Roark's temple?
5. How does Dominique get publicity that gets Wynand to divorce her?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)