|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the gift Toohey sends to Gail Wynand?
(a) The Mallory statue.
(b) A copy of his book.
(c) A plaque for community service.
(d) A painting of the Banner building.
2. What horrifies Dominique a month after the Wynand house is finished?
(a) Wynand invites Roark to spend the night and he rejects the invitation.
(b) Wynand invites Roark to spend the night and he accepts.
(c) Wynand tells Dominique that Roark must never be invited in.
(d) Wynand hates the house and wants to move.
3. What gives evidence that Toohey intends to take over the "Banner"?
(a) He tries to bring back Dominique.
(b) He starts buying Banner stock.
(c) He encourages Wynand to go on a long honeymoon.
(d) He is secretly supporting the opposition to Wynand.
4. How does Wynand react when he discovers that Dominique helped Roark destroy Cortlandt Homes?
(a) He threatens to expose them.
(b) He writes editorials condemning Roark.
(c) He becomes intently jealous.
(d) He approves.
5. What does Katie feel for Peter when they meet by accident on the street?
6. How does Wynand try to manipulate Roark?
(a) He reminds Roark that Toohey will attack his work if he does not agree with Wynand on everything.
(b) He threatens to see that Roark never sees Dominique again.
(c) He threatens to ruin Roark if he does not design according to Wynand's wishes.
(d) He has Roark promise never to use Mallory on any of his buildings.
7. How does Dominique continue to punish herself?
(a) She attempts to seduce Roark one more time.
(b) She locks herself in her bedroom.
(c) She becomes an alcoholic.
(d) She gives Roark to Wynand instead of trying to break up their friendship.
8. Where does Wynand feel the best setting is for Roark?
(a) In a house like the one he's building for Wynand.
(b) In a board room.
(c) On his yacht.
(d) At an unfinished building site.
9. After Dominique returns from Reno, where are she and Wynand married?
(a) In the Banner building.
(b) At city hall.
(c) On board Wynand's yacht.
(d) At the Noyes-Belmont Hotel.
10. Why has Toohey orchestrated attacks on the "Banner"?
(a) He knows opposition sells papers.
(b) It is just a joke he is playing.
(c) It is part of his plan to take it over.
(d) He is getting back at Wynand for marrying Dominique.
11. Why does Wynand say he will not destroy Dominique?
(a) He does not know how.
(b) She is more powerful than he is.
(c) She agreed to marry him.
(d) She is a woman.
12. What finally persuades Wynand to meet Dominique?
(a) He thinks Toohey will not give him the sculpture if he does not agree to meet her.
(b) He wants to meet the model for the statue.
(c) He learns that Dominique is married.
(d) Toohey threatens to resign if he will not meet with her.
13. What does Peter discover is the real reason behind Toohey's socialist tirades?
(a) That Toohey is the only one who can save society.
(b) That Toohey plans to take over the world.
(c) That Toohey really wants power.
(d) That Toohey really believes what he says.
14. Why does Wynand drop the gun after contemplating suicide?
(a) He remembers how he drove other people to suicide.
(b) He has no fear of dying but is afraid of living.
(c) He has not made arrangements for someone to inherit.
(d) He needs to get right with God.
15. What finally defeats Wynand?
(a) Changing his position on Roark.
(b) Selling off his stock in the paper.
(c) Accepting Toohey back at the paper.
(d) Public opinion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter returns to his first love. What is that?
2. How did the "Banner" review of the play "No Skin Off Your Nose" affect its success?
3. How does Dominique get publicity that gets Wynand to divorce her?
4. Who comes to help Wynand when the union strikes and there is no staff at the newspaper?
5. How does Toohey get his job back at the "Banner"?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)