|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Roark's commission at the end of the novel?
(a) He is rebuilding the Cortlandt Homes project.
(b) He is working for Peter and building a new bank.
(c) He is building the Wynand building in Hell's Kitchen.
(d) He is building a house for him and Dominique.
2. Where is Katie living now?
(a) With Toohey.
(c) Cortlandt Homes.
3. Peter gets the design for "The March of the Centuries" exposition at the World's Fair. Why did Roark turn it down?
(a) It was all donated time without any payment.
(b) He did not like the idea of a World's Fair.
(c) It was too much for one man to do.
(d) He would have to work with other architects.
4. Who finally tells Gail Wynand the name of the sculptor who did the statue Toohey gave him?
5. Although Wynand actually does love Dominique, what is more important to him in their relationship?
(a) That their marriage is romantic.
(b) The fact that he owns her.
(c) That she is so influential in society.
(d) That she is so different from him.
6. What in the relationship between Roark and Wynand is distressing to Dominique?
(a) She thinks Roark is finally compromising his art.
(b) She thinks Roark is not telling Wynand the truth.
(c) She sees that they have a real affinity for each other.
(d) She sees that Wynand is secretly out to ruin Roark.
7. What is the gift Toohey sends to Gail Wynand?
(a) A plaque for community service.
(b) A painting of the Banner building.
(c) A copy of his book.
(d) The Mallory statue.
8. What motivates Dominique to accept Wynand's marriage proposal?
(a) She sees that Wynand has more money than Peter.
(b) It is another means for her own self-punishment.
(c) It is just another accomplishment for her.
(d) She thinks it is another way to destroy Roark.
9. Why is the defeat so devastating to Wynand?
(a) He trusts Toohey and now they are both out.
(b) He cannot be a follower.
(c) He sees that he was right all the time.
(d) He loses Dominique when he loses the paper.
10. Why does Wynand drop the gun after contemplating suicide?
(a) He has not made arrangements for someone to inherit.
(b) He has no fear of dying but is afraid of living.
(c) He needs to get right with God.
(d) He remembers how he drove other people to suicide.
11. What brings about the downfall of Peter Keating's business?
(a) His partner is sabotaging him like he did to Heyer.
(b) Peter's desire to find Katie and marry her.
(c) The failure of the World's Fair exhibition.
(d) Toohey's continued support of Peter.
12. What is Roark's reaction to Peter's request that he design the Cortlandt Homes project for low rent housing?
(a) Roark goes out and gets the contract for himself.
(b) Roark flatly refuses Peter this time.
(c) Roark agrees to do it and let Peter put his name on it.
(d) Roark agrees to do it if Peter puts Roark's name on it.
13. What happens when a "Banner" reporter interviews Dominique?
(a) Wynand locks Dominique in their penthouse.
(b) It becomes the first reference to the marriage in the press.
(c) Wynand fires the reporter.
(d) Dominique refuses to talk to her.
14. What underhanded trick do the Aquitania Hotel developers play that backfires on them?
(a) Hiring Roark so that everyone would think he was responsible for the bankruptcy.
(b) Refusing to pay Roark when the project was late being finished.
(c) Knowing they were going backrupt, they sold properties anyway.
(d) Over-selling the properties by 200% in the hopes they would go bankrupt.
15. What becomes of Gail Wynand?
(a) He sets fire to his house and dies in the flames.
(b) He sees himself as dead and the Wynand building as his memorial marker.
(c) He jumps from the top of the Wynand building.
(d) He goes to sea and is lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wynand react when he discovers that Dominique helped Roark destroy Cortlandt Homes?
2. After Dominique returns from Reno, where are she and Wynand married?
3. What becomes of Toohey?
4. What common trait in both Wynand and Roark does Dominique notice?
5. What is Toohey's motivation to have Wynand meet Dominique?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)