|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dominique get publicity that gets Wynand to divorce her?
(a) She notifies the police that she is staying with Roark and a valuable ring has been stolen.
(b) She takes a job at a rival newspaper.
(c) She publicly files for divorce from Wynand.
(d) She reveals that she was the model who posed nude for Mallory's statue.
2. What do Scarret and Toohey hope for after Roark's visit?
(a) That Wynand will destroy him.
(b) That Wynand is thinking about selling the newspaper.
(c) That they can start writing good things about Roark.
(d) That Roark will finally leave the city.
3. What does Peter do when he cannot figure out how to design the Cortlandt Homes project?
(a) He turns it over to his draftsman.
(b) He desides to get Toohey's help.
(c) Once again, he goes to Roark.
(d) He gives up.
4. How does Dominique compare the success of Ike's play with the destruction of Roark's temple?
(a) She says they were both great achievements of the Banner.
(b) She thinks the play is more important than the temple.
(c) She thinks they were unaffected by the newspaper.
(d) She thinks the paper dealt fairly with both issues.
5. Why is Dominique jealous after the house is built?
(a) She is jealous of Roark's friendship with Wynand.
(b) She is jealous of Katie who is now seeing Roark.
(c) She is jealous of the people who still write for the newspaper.
(d) She is jealous because she says Wynand loves her statue and not her.
6. What underhanded trick do the Aquitania Hotel developers play that backfires on them?
(a) Over-selling the properties by 200% in the hopes they would go bankrupt.
(b) Hiring Roark so that everyone would think he was responsible for the bankruptcy.
(c) Refusing to pay Roark when the project was late being finished.
(d) Knowing they were going backrupt, they sold properties anyway.
7. After Dominique returns from Reno, where are she and Wynand married?
(a) In the Banner building.
(b) At the Noyes-Belmont Hotel.
(c) On board Wynand's yacht.
(d) At city hall.
8. How does Wynand try to manipulate Roark?
(a) He threatens to ruin Roark if he does not design according to Wynand's wishes.
(b) He has Roark promise never to use Mallory on any of his buildings.
(c) He reminds Roark that Toohey will attack his work if he does not agree with Wynand on everything.
(d) He threatens to see that Roark never sees Dominique again.
9. What becomes of Gail Wynand?
(a) He goes to sea and is lost.
(b) He sees himself as dead and the Wynand building as his memorial marker.
(c) He jumps from the top of the Wynand building.
(d) He sets fire to his house and dies in the flames.
10. What is it that Peter does not understand, has never understood, about Roark?
(a) That Roark's finished work is the only thing important to him.
(b) That Roark just wants to be controversial and difficult.
(c) That Roark always holds out for more money.
(d) That Roark is as much a fake as he is.
11. What does Wynand do with the letter Roark sends him?
(a) Publishes it in the newspaper.
(b) Tears it up.
(c) Reads it and throws it away.
(d) Returns it unopened.
12. What in the relationship between Roark and Wynand is distressing to Dominique?
(a) She thinks Roark is not telling Wynand the truth.
(b) She sees that they have a real affinity for each other.
(c) She sees that Wynand is secretly out to ruin Roark.
(d) She thinks Roark is finally compromising his art.
13. Who helps Roark blow up the Cortlandt Homes project?
14. How does Wynand get the last laugh on Toohey.
(a) He puts Toohey's articles in the sports section.
(b) He rewrites everything Toohey does.
(c) He pushes Toohey into the presses, killing him.
(d) He buys out the stock holders and shuts down the paper.
15. How does Toohey make his move to take over the "Banner"?
(a) By leaving quietly after he is fired.
(b) By recalling the paper that had his article in it.
(c) By writing an article denouncing Roark.
(d) By buying more of the paper's stock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Roark's reaction to Peter's request that he design the Cortlandt Homes project for low rent housing?
2. Where does Wynand feel the best setting is for Roark?
3. On her way to Reno, why does Dominique stop over in Clayton, Ohio?
4. How does Dominique feel about the Wynand building?
5. What causes Wynand to lose respect for integrity?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)