|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real meaning behind Dominique's critique on the Enright house?
(a) She writes that it should be copied by other architects.
(b) She thinks the houses near it make it look all that much worse.
(c) She is subtly saying that it is a work of genius.
(d) She says that it is a ridiculous looking structure.
2. Who takes a shot at Ellsworth Toohey?
(b) Katie, Ellsworth's niece
(c) Lois Cook, the writer
(d) Steven Mallory, the sculptor
3. What is Peter's condition when he visits Katie and insists they marry the following day?
(a) He is finally happy with his life.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is afraid that Katie will reject him.
(d) He is angry with himself for testifying in Roark's favor.
4. What happens to the sculptor Mallory?
(a) He skips out on his bail.
(b) He goes to prison for twenty years.
(c) He is sentenced to die.
(d) He receives a suspended sentence.
5. When the Heller house is finished, how is it received?
(a) It is either ignored or ridiculed.
(b) Everyone now wants houses designed by Roark.
(c) Peter Keating wants to design houses just like it.
(d) It gets rave reviews from Ellsworth Toohey.
6. What is the unexpected coincidence involving Katie Halsey?
(a) She accidentally runs into Peter at the museum.
(b) She happens to be the niece of Ellsworth Toomey.
(c) She moves from Boston to New York to be with Peter.
(d) She is good friends with Dominique Francon.
7. Why does Peter want Roark to abandon his plan to open his own firm?
(a) Peter really wants to be partners with Roark.
(b) Peter knows the value of Roark's work and fears the competition.
(c) Peter thinks Roark will no longer have time to help him with his designs.
(d) Peter knows that Roark will fail and wants to save him.
8. What is the chief reaction of the public to Stoddard's temple?
(a) They call it blasphemy.
(b) They praise its originality.
(c) They think it is a new religion.
(d) They like the building but hate the statue.
9. Why is Dominique disappointed when she verifies that Roark is reading her articles?
(a) He becomes more violent when they meet.
(b) He has marked out many of the sentences.
(c) They do not seem to hurt him like she wants.
(d) He uses them for the coffee grounds in the office.
10. Why does Roark return to New York?
(a) Roark fears Dominique may charge him with rape.
(b) Roger Enright wants him to design his new house.
(c) Roark and Mike have a disagreement over Dominique.
(d) The quarry runs out of usable stone.
11. Why is the opening of the temple canceled?
(a) Toohey is not ready to destroy Roark.
(b) Mallory has not finished the stature.
(c) It is postponed because there needs to be more publicity.
(d) Stoddard is horrified at the design.
12. What does Peter do with his "world's most beautiful building" contest design?
(a) He tells Toohey which one is his.
(b) He takes it to Roark for improvement.
(c) He reminds the Stanton professor that he graduated from there.
(d) He asks Dominique to give him her suggestions.
13. Why do Roark and the electrician, Mike, become great friends?
(a) Mike sees Roark get his hands dirty on a building site.
(b) Mike has great respect for all architects.
(c) Both men hate Henry Cameron.
(d) Roark thinks Mike can help him with his designs.
14. What was the result of Dominique's articles on the slums?
(a) Dominique gets a new job in slum welfare.
(b) The landlords sell the slums.
(c) The landlords lower the rent on the slums.
(d) Waynand refuses to buy the slums.
15. Why does Cameron eventually hire Roark?
(a) Roark will bring public acceptance to Cameron's firm.
(b) Roark was the top student at Architectural School of the Stanton Institute of Technology.
(c) Roark agrees that he has a lot to learn.
(d) He thinks he can intimidate Roark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dominique think her private relationship with Roark gives her when they meet in public?
2. What happens when Roark shows up uninvited at Dominique's door?
3. What does Roark do to help Peter?
4. Why does Dominique agree to testify against Roark when he is sued by Stoddard?
5. How is it clear that Peter knows Dominique is in love with another man?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)