|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter tell Toohey about Roark.
(a) He tells Toohey to mind his own business.
(b) He tells him that Roark was kicked out of school.
(c) He denies knowing Roark.
(d) He says that Roark helps him with many of his designs.
2. Why does Katie show up at the apartment of Peter and his mother?
(a) She was overly fond of Peter's mother.
(b) She wants to warn Peter about Dominique.
(c) She wanted to break her engagement to Peter.
(d) She had a sudden fear that something was wrong.
3. When the Heller house is finished, how is it received?
(a) Peter Keating wants to design houses just like it.
(b) It gets rave reviews from Ellsworth Toohey.
(c) It is either ignored or ridiculed.
(d) Everyone now wants houses designed by Roark.
4. What is the chief reaction of the public to Stoddard's temple?
(a) They call it blasphemy.
(b) They think it is a new religion.
(c) They praise its originality.
(d) They like the building but hate the statue.
5. Why do Roark and the electrician, Mike, become great friends?
(a) Mike sees Roark get his hands dirty on a building site.
(b) Both men hate Henry Cameron.
(c) Mike has great respect for all architects.
(d) Roark thinks Mike can help him with his designs.
6. Why is Roark dissatisfied at the Snyte firm?
(a) He dislikes designing modern style buildings.
(b) No one wants to build his designs.
(c) His designs are altered by other architects.
(d) He gets credit for other people's work.
7. What infuriates Dominique about the replacement fireplace?
(a) It has obscene carvings on it.
(b) It does not blend in with the architecture of the house.
(c) Roark sends another workman to install it.
(d) It is ugly.
8. What are Roark's criteria for designing a new building?
(a) Bricks, location, and cost
(b) Materials, site, and purpose
(c) Beauty, size, and familiarity
(d) Social mobility, fame, and wealth
9. When Peter feels the stress of the strike, where does he go with Katie?
(a) To hear a speech by Ellsworth Toohey
(b) To his apartment
(c) To walk in the park
(d) To help pass out leaflets
10. Who actually does the designs for Francon and Heyer?
11. How was Roark able to reopen his architecture business?
(a) Dominique secretly supported him.
(b) He got the Enright contract.
(c) He inherited money from Heyer.
(d) Peter loaned him the money.
12. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
(a) She invites him to a candlelight dinner.
(b) She damages the fireplace in her bedroom and asks him to repair it.
(c) She fakes falling off her horse near the quarry.
(d) She threatens to have him fired from the quarry.
13. What is Peter's condition when he visits Katie and insists they marry the following day?
(a) He is angry with himself for testifying in Roark's favor.
(b) He is drunk.
(c) He is finally happy with his life.
(d) He is afraid that Katie will reject him.
14. Why does Roark return to New York?
(a) Roger Enright wants him to design his new house.
(b) Roark fears Dominique may charge him with rape.
(c) The quarry runs out of usable stone.
(d) Roark and Mike have a disagreement over Dominique.
15. What is Roark's attitude after being expelled from school?
(a) He is ashamed of himself for being so stupid.
(b) He thinks being an architect will be more difficult but not impossible.
(c) He thinks he was wrong to criticize the classical style.
(d) He believes he will never be an architect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of Heyer's death?
2. What happens when Roark and Dominique meet up at the Holcombe party?
3. What is the conflict between Francon and Gail Wynand?
4. How do the newspapers treat Henry Cameron's retirement?
5. What does Dominique think her private relationship with Roark gives her when they meet in public?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)