|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Roark's criteria for designing a new building?
(a) Materials, site, and purpose
(b) Social mobility, fame, and wealth
(c) Bricks, location, and cost
(d) Beauty, size, and familiarity
2. What is the unexpected coincidence involving Katie Halsey?
(a) She happens to be the niece of Ellsworth Toomey.
(b) She moves from Boston to New York to be with Peter.
(c) She accidentally runs into Peter at the museum.
(d) She is good friends with Dominique Francon.
3. Why does Roark hire Mallory to make the sculpture for the temple he is building?
(a) He thinks he can get Mallory to work cheap.
(b) He thinks he can control Mallory.
(c) He wants to insult Toohey.
(d) He thinks Mallory's work is excellent.
4. Why is Dominique disappointed when she verifies that Roark is reading her articles?
(a) He has marked out many of the sentences.
(b) He becomes more violent when they meet.
(c) They do not seem to hurt him like she wants.
(d) He uses them for the coffee grounds in the office.
5. Who actually does the designs for Francon and Heyer?
6. What is Roark's philosophy about designing a building?
(a) He believes the design should grow out of the purpose for the building.
(b) He thinks buildings should not be pleasing to the eye.
(c) He believes his ideas should come from great architects of the past.
(d) He thinks buildings should be shocking to the public.
7. What do people say about Roark's work after the opening of the Enright house?
(a) It is the new direction all architecture will follow.
(b) It is a work of genius.
(c) It is an improvement over the classical style.
(d) It is cold and inhuman.
8. After Sutton hired Roark, he subsequently fired him. What reason did he give Roark?
(a) That Peter will bring him more publicity.
(b) That Dominique convinced him to hire Peter instead.
(c) That Enright says Roark is too expensive.
(d) That Roark did not design the building they agreed on.
9. Why does Francon contact Roark on the design of a new building?
(a) Francon secretly admires Roark's independent ideas.
(b) Francon knows Roark will compromise with his ideas of classicism.
(c) Peter is out of town and does not want the job.
(d) The client rejected all of the designs Francon presented to them.
10. What event in Toohey's childhood marks the beginning of his conflict with the bright and the beautiful?
(a) He sprays water on Johnny Stokes' new suit.
(b) He only attends parties of popular students.
(c) He makes fun of his parents.
(d) He took candy to do other students' homework.
11. Although Stoddard wins the lawsuit against Roark, what happens to Dominique?
(a) Wynand fires her.
(b) Toohey offers her a job as his researcher.
(c) She gets a bonus for testifying against Roark.
(d) Wynand promotes her to assistant editor.
12. What happened to the Sanford house after it was completed?
(a) Mrs. Sanford refused to live in it.
(b) Mrs. Sanford changed it to look like other houses.
(c) It got high praise from the Architect's Guild of America.
(d) It became the standard for all other new homes.
13. At the firm of John Eric Snyte, what type of building design is assigned to Roark?
14. When Peter hears that Toohey has been shot, what is his first concern?
(a) That Toohey will think Peter was the one who tried to kill him.
(b) That Roark finally snapped after Toohey's attacks on his buildings.
(c) That Katie will not marry him after that.
(d) That Toohey's favorable article about him might not get published.
15. What is the real meaning behind Dominique's critique on the Enright house?
(a) She writes that it should be copied by other architects.
(b) She thinks the houses near it make it look all that much worse.
(c) She says that it is a ridiculous looking structure.
(d) She is subtly saying that it is a work of genius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry Cameron retire?
2. What indicates that Katie is disillusioned with "selflessness"?
3. Why does Cameron eventually hire Roark?
4. Why is it difficult for Peter Keating to decide what to do after graduation?
5. What does Jimmy Gowans want Roark to design and build for him?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)