|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Roark fired from the Snyte firm?
(a) Roark's design for the Heller house was defective.
(b) He removed the work other architects added to his design for Austen Heller.
(c) Austen Heller refused to allow Roark to design his house.
(d) He refused to work with Austen Heller.
2. Who takes a shot at Ellsworth Toohey?
(b) Steven Mallory, the sculptor
(c) Katie, Ellsworth's niece
(d) Lois Cook, the writer
3. What infuriates Dominique about the replacement fireplace?
(a) It is ugly.
(b) Roark sends another workman to install it.
(c) It has obscene carvings on it.
(d) It does not blend in with the architecture of the house.
4. Why does Roark find himself unable to get a job?
(a) His performance at school was too exceptional.
(b) He is seen as a lacky for Francon and Heyer.
(c) He is supported by Gordon Prescott, a hated journalist.
(d) He has a public reputation for failure.
5. What does Peter tell Toohey about Roark.
(a) He says that Roark helps him with many of his designs.
(b) He tells him that Roark was kicked out of school.
(c) He tells Toohey to mind his own business.
(d) He denies knowing Roark.
6. What happens when Roark shows up uninvited at Dominique's door?
(a) He tells her who he really is.
(b) He takes her by force.
(c) He destroys the new fireplace.
(d) He refuses to make love to her.
7. Why does Roark return to New York?
(a) Roark fears Dominique may charge him with rape.
(b) Roark and Mike have a disagreement over Dominique.
(c) Roger Enright wants him to design his new house.
(d) The quarry runs out of usable stone.
8. What is the unexpected coincidence involving Katie Halsey?
(a) She moves from Boston to New York to be with Peter.
(b) She is good friends with Dominique Francon.
(c) She accidentally runs into Peter at the museum.
(d) She happens to be the niece of Ellsworth Toomey.
9. How is Dominique disappointed in her relationship with Roark?
(a) She plans to stop seeing him.
(b) She thinks it is too easy to control Roark.
(c) She wants to change and be supportive of his work.
(d) She feels that he has gained power over her.
10. When Dominique offers to have her marriage to Peter annulled, what is Roark's reaction?
(a) He demands that she annul the marriage immediately.
(b) He says he will wait for her.
(c) He threatens to tell Peter where she was that night.
(d) He says he does not want to marry Dominique ever.
11. What was the result of Dominique's articles on the slums?
(a) The landlords lower the rent on the slums.
(b) Dominique gets a new job in slum welfare.
(c) Waynand refuses to buy the slums.
(d) The landlords sell the slums.
12. What does Dominique want to do to Roark?
(a) She wants to marry him.
(b) She wants to destroy him as an architect.
(c) She wants to make him apologize for raping her.
(d) She wants to make him a star.
13. Why do Roark and the electrician, Mike, become great friends?
(a) Both men hate Henry Cameron.
(b) Mike has great respect for all architects.
(c) Roark thinks Mike can help him with his designs.
(d) Mike sees Roark get his hands dirty on a building site.
14. Although Stoddard wins the lawsuit against Roark, what happens to Dominique?
(a) She gets a bonus for testifying against Roark.
(b) Wynand fires her.
(c) Wynand promotes her to assistant editor.
(d) Toohey offers her a job as his researcher.
15. How does Dominique feel about Roark in Connecticut?
(a) She is both attracted to him and repelled by him.
(b) He makes her want to return to the city.
(c) She thinks that letting him stare at her gives her power over him.
(d) She thinks he is conceited because of his muscular body.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peter go about getting rid of Heyer?
2. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
3. What did Toohey think was a "cosmic joke?"
4. Why does Katie show up at the apartment of Peter and his mother?
5. What indicates that Katie is disillusioned with "selflessness"?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)