|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Francon contact Roark on the design of a new building?
(a) Francon secretly admires Roark's independent ideas.
(b) Francon knows Roark will compromise with his ideas of classicism.
(c) The client rejected all of the designs Francon presented to them.
(d) Peter is out of town and does not want the job.
2. How does Peter go about getting rid of Heyer?
(a) He puts medication in Heyer's coffee that causes him to have a stroke.
(b) He informs Francon that Heyer is embezzling from the company.
(c) He plays up his friendship with the old man.
(d) He confronts him with a shady business deal Heyer once made.
3. What event marked the beginning of Roark's own architecture firm?
(a) When Peter secretly put up the money.
(b) The death of Henry Cameron.
(c) Heller's check written out to Howard Roark, Architect.
(d) Snyte offering him a full partnership.
4. What is the socialist theme of Toomey's book, "Sermons in Stone"?
(a) That buildings should be functional as well as beautiful.
(b) That architecture should be about what people want.
(c) That architecture has nothing to do with culture or the environment.
(d) That only brilliant minds can design buildings.
5. Why does Roark agree to go to the Holcombe party?
(a) He wants to reject working for Holcombe.
(b) He knows Dominique will be there.
(c) He respects Peter and Toohey so much.
(d) He has not eaten in several days.
6. What was the result of Dominique's articles on the slums?
(a) The landlords sell the slums.
(b) Dominique gets a new job in slum welfare.
(c) Waynand refuses to buy the slums.
(d) The landlords lower the rent on the slums.
7. What is Roark's philosophy about designing a building?
(a) He thinks buildings should not be pleasing to the eye.
(b) He thinks buildings should be shocking to the public.
(c) He believes the design should grow out of the purpose for the building.
(d) He believes his ideas should come from great architects of the past.
8. What stands in the way of Peter's becoming a full partner with Francon?
(a) Francon wants Perer to marry Dominique first.
(b) Katie threatens to tell Dominique that she is engaged to Peter.
(c) Lucius Heyer refuses to retire.
(d) Heyer prefers one of the other draftsmen.
9. Before his death, what warning does Cameron give Roark?
(a) He warns against the power of Wynand's newspaper.
(b) He warns against going against public tastes.
(c) He warns against marrying Dominique.
(d) He warns against trusting Peter.
10. What does Roark do to help Peter?
(a) He gives Peter lessons at night.
(b) He corrects Peter's design for a new building.
(c) He starts doing all of Perer's work for him.
(d) He introduces Peter to Dominique Francon.
11. When Dominique offers to have her marriage to Peter annulled, what is Roark's reaction?
(a) He says he does not want to marry Dominique ever.
(b) He threatens to tell Peter where she was that night.
(c) He says he will wait for her.
(d) He demands that she annul the marriage immediately.
12. What infuriates Dominique about the replacement fireplace?
(a) It does not blend in with the architecture of the house.
(b) It is ugly.
(c) It has obscene carvings on it.
(d) Roark sends another workman to install it.
13. What happened to the Sanford house after it was completed?
(a) Mrs. Sanford refused to live in it.
(b) Mrs. Sanford changed it to look like other houses.
(c) It became the standard for all other new homes.
(d) It got high praise from the Architect's Guild of America.
14. Who actually does the designs for Francon and Heyer?
15. Why does Henry Cameron retire?
(a) He thinks Roark is taking business from him.
(b) His business is a failure.
(c) He has enough money to live on for the rest of his life.
(d) He loses the use of his eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Roark able to reopen his architecture business?
2. At the firm of John Eric Snyte, what type of building design is assigned to Roark?
3. Why is Roark fired from the Snyte firm?
4. Why is Roark dissatisfied at the Snyte firm?
5. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)