|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Peter hears that Toohey has been shot, what is his first concern?
(a) That Toohey's favorable article about him might not get published.
(b) That Roark finally snapped after Toohey's attacks on his buildings.
(c) That Toohey will think Peter was the one who tried to kill him.
(d) That Katie will not marry him after that.
2. What happens when Roark and Dominique meet up at the Holcombe party?
(a) They both pretend they have never met.
(b) Dominique grabs Peter and kisses him.
(c) Roark takes her back to his place.
(d) Dominique becomes upset and leaves the party.
3. Although Stoddard wins the lawsuit against Roark, what happens to Dominique?
(a) Wynand fires her.
(b) She gets a bonus for testifying against Roark.
(c) Wynand promotes her to assistant editor.
(d) Toohey offers her a job as his researcher.
4. After Sutton hired Roark, he subsequently fired him. What reason did he give Roark?
(a) That Enright says Roark is too expensive.
(b) That Roark did not design the building they agreed on.
(c) That Peter will bring him more publicity.
(d) That Dominique convinced him to hire Peter instead.
5. When Dominique reveals that Toohey got Roark the job of building the temple to destroy him, what is Roark's reaction?
(a) He decides to do a classical building to fool Toohey.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He resigns as the temple architect.
(d) He thinks about killing Toohey.
6. How does Dominique feel about Roark in Connecticut?
(a) She is both attracted to him and repelled by him.
(b) She thinks he is conceited because of his muscular body.
(c) She thinks that letting him stare at her gives her power over him.
(d) He makes her want to return to the city.
7. What are Roark's criteria for designing a new building?
(a) Social mobility, fame, and wealth
(b) Bricks, location, and cost
(c) Beauty, size, and familiarity
(d) Materials, site, and purpose
8. What does Jimmy Gowans want Roark to design and build for him?
(a) A hotel
(b) An office building
(c) A house like Heller's
(d) A gas station
9. Why does Katie show up at the apartment of Peter and his mother?
(a) She wanted to break her engagement to Peter.
(b) She wants to warn Peter about Dominique.
(c) She was overly fond of Peter's mother.
(d) She had a sudden fear that something was wrong.
10. What event prevents Peter from marrying Katie?
(a) Toohey locks Katie in her room to stop the wedding.
(b) Peter's mother talks him out of the marriage.
(c) He regrets not being honest with Katie.
(d) He elopes with Dominique.
11. How is Dominique disappointed in her relationship with Roark?
(a) She thinks it is too easy to control Roark.
(b) She plans to stop seeing him.
(c) She feels that he has gained power over her.
(d) She wants to change and be supportive of his work.
12. Why does Cameron eventually hire Roark?
(a) Roark was the top student at Architectural School of the Stanton Institute of Technology.
(b) He thinks he can intimidate Roark.
(c) Roark will bring public acceptance to Cameron's firm.
(d) Roark agrees that he has a lot to learn.
13. What is the unexpected coincidence involving Katie Halsey?
(a) She accidentally runs into Peter at the museum.
(b) She is good friends with Dominique Francon.
(c) She moves from Boston to New York to be with Peter.
(d) She happens to be the niece of Ellsworth Toomey.
14. What event in Toohey's childhood marks the beginning of his conflict with the bright and the beautiful?
(a) He only attends parties of popular students.
(b) He makes fun of his parents.
(c) He sprays water on Johnny Stokes' new suit.
(d) He took candy to do other students' homework.
15. When Peter feels the stress of the strike, where does he go with Katie?
(a) To hear a speech by Ellsworth Toohey
(b) To his apartment
(c) To help pass out leaflets
(d) To walk in the park
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real meaning behind Dominique's critique on the Enright house?
2. What stands in the way of Peter's becoming a full partner with Francon?
3. Where does Peter finally get to meet Dominique?
4. What does Peter think of Roark's design for the Enright house?
5. What does Toohey write in his column about the Enright house?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)