|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event marked the beginning of Roark's own architecture firm?
(a) Snyte offering him a full partnership.
(b) When Peter secretly put up the money.
(c) The death of Henry Cameron.
(d) Heller's check written out to Howard Roark, Architect.
2. Why does Peter want Roark to abandon his plan to open his own firm?
(a) Peter knows that Roark will fail and wants to save him.
(b) Peter thinks Roark will no longer have time to help him with his designs.
(c) Peter knows the value of Roark's work and fears the competition.
(d) Peter really wants to be partners with Roark.
3. What does Peter tell Toohey about Roark.
(a) He denies knowing Roark.
(b) He tells Toohey to mind his own business.
(c) He tells him that Roark was kicked out of school.
(d) He says that Roark helps him with many of his designs.
4. At the firm of John Eric Snyte, what type of building design is assigned to Roark?
5. Why do Roark and the electrician, Mike, become great friends?
(a) Roark thinks Mike can help him with his designs.
(b) Mike has great respect for all architects.
(c) Mike sees Roark get his hands dirty on a building site.
(d) Both men hate Henry Cameron.
6. Why is Roark dissatisfied at the Snyte firm?
(a) No one wants to build his designs.
(b) He gets credit for other people's work.
(c) His designs are altered by other architects.
(d) He dislikes designing modern style buildings.
7. Before his death, what warning does Cameron give Roark?
(a) He warns against trusting Peter.
(b) He warns against the power of Wynand's newspaper.
(c) He warns against going against public tastes.
(d) He warns against marrying Dominique.
8. How does Dominique react when Toohey accuses her of being in love with Roark?
(a) She tells him to mind his own business.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She does not react.
(d) She is insensed.
9. How was Roark able to reopen his architecture business?
(a) Peter loaned him the money.
(b) He got the Enright contract.
(c) Dominique secretly supported him.
(d) He inherited money from Heyer.
10. Why is it difficult for Peter Keating to decide what to do after graduation?
(a) He knows he is a better architect than Roark.
(b) He is torn between his own desires and what others think he should do.
(c) His mother wants him to accept a scholarship in Paris.
(d) He understands that people do not really like him.
11. What does Toohey call the "Unfinished Symphony"?
(a) The Cosmo-Slotnik building.
(b) The Aquitania Hotel project.
(c) His plan to destroy Roark.
(d) Mallory's career as a sculptor.
12. Why does Katie show up at the apartment of Peter and his mother?
(a) She was overly fond of Peter's mother.
(b) She wants to warn Peter about Dominique.
(c) She wanted to break her engagement to Peter.
(d) She had a sudden fear that something was wrong.
13. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
(a) It is romantic and exciting.
(b) It is lukewarm and emotionless.
(c) It is his only way to get close to Ellsworth Toomey.
(d) It is to get back at Dominique Francon.
14. How is it clear that Peter knows Dominique is in love with another man?
(a) He asks her who it is.
(b) He accuses her of loving Howard Roark.
(c) She refuses to move into his apartment.
(d) She refuses to sleep with him.
15. How does Dominique feel about Roark in Connecticut?
(a) She thinks he is conceited because of his muscular body.
(b) He makes her want to return to the city.
(c) She thinks that letting him stare at her gives her power over him.
(d) She is both attracted to him and repelled by him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Peter feels the stress of the strike, where does he go with Katie?
2. Why is Roark fired from the Snyte firm?
3. What is Lois Cook's criteria for her new house?
4. What spoils Peter's joy at winning the "most beautiful building" contest?
5. What indicates that Katie is disillusioned with "selflessness"?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)