|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only person to see through Dominique's constant criticism of Roark's work in her column?
(a) Ellsworth Toohey
(c) Peter Keating
2. What event in Toohey's childhood marks the beginning of his conflict with the bright and the beautiful?
(a) He took candy to do other students' homework.
(b) He sprays water on Johnny Stokes' new suit.
(c) He only attends parties of popular students.
(d) He makes fun of his parents.
3. Although Stoddard wins the lawsuit against Roark, what happens to Dominique?
(a) Toohey offers her a job as his researcher.
(b) Wynand fires her.
(c) Wynand promotes her to assistant editor.
(d) She gets a bonus for testifying against Roark.
4. What are Roark's criteria for designing a new building?
(a) Materials, site, and purpose
(b) Social mobility, fame, and wealth
(c) Bricks, location, and cost
(d) Beauty, size, and familiarity
5. What is the socialist theme of Toomey's book, "Sermons in Stone"?
(a) That only brilliant minds can design buildings.
(b) That buildings should be functional as well as beautiful.
(c) That architecture has nothing to do with culture or the environment.
(d) That architecture should be about what people want.
6. Why does Peter Keating offer to do Davis' work after hours?
(a) Peter is always thinking of others more than himself.
(b) It gives him a chance to learn more about design.
(c) It is his plan to replace Davis as chief draftsman.
(d) Peter has nothing better to do.
7. Why does the Dean consider Roark to be insubordinate?
(a) He thinks Roark's buildings are unsafe.
(b) Roark prefers swimming to paying attention in class.
(c) Roark refuses to accept only the classical styles that the school teaches.
(d) He fears that Roark might get his job.
8. When the Heller house is finished, how is it received?
(a) Peter Keating wants to design houses just like it.
(b) Everyone now wants houses designed by Roark.
(c) It gets rave reviews from Ellsworth Toohey.
(d) It is either ignored or ridiculed.
9. Francon and Toomey agree about architecture for what reason?
(a) They both predict radical changes in how buildings are built.
(b) They are both socialists.
(c) They both see architecture as having certain bounds and limitations.
(d) They both believe in capitalism.
10. Why is it difficult for Peter Keating to decide what to do after graduation?
(a) He is torn between his own desires and what others think he should do.
(b) He understands that people do not really like him.
(c) He knows he is a better architect than Roark.
(d) His mother wants him to accept a scholarship in Paris.
11. How does Dominique get her information to write an article about the slums?
(a) She interviews people who once lived in the slums.
(b) She confronts the owners of the slums.
(c) She has a photographer go and take pictures of the slums.
(d) She goes to live in the slums.
12. When Peter suspects a man has changed Dominique, what does she tell him?
(a) She is in love with Roark.
(b) She must find the quarry worker again.
(c) A quarry worker changed her.
(d) Toohey has changed her attitude toward men.
13. How do the newspapers treat Henry Cameron's retirement?
(a) They give it little space and misspell the names of his buildings.
(b) They devote a full page to his achievements.
(c) They honor him as the premiere architect of all time.
(d) They make no mention of his retirement at all.
14. What is Roark's attitude after being expelled from school?
(a) He thinks being an architect will be more difficult but not impossible.
(b) He is ashamed of himself for being so stupid.
(c) He thinks he was wrong to criticize the classical style.
(d) He believes he will never be an architect.
15. What does Dominique think her private relationship with Roark gives her when they meet in public?
(a) A serious heatbreak
(b) Fear that he will say something
(c) Power to control him
(d) A big laugh
Short Answer Questions
1. What event marked the beginning of Roark's own architecture firm?
2. Where does Dominique spend her wedding night?
3. Why is the opening of the temple canceled?
4. In what way is Peter Keating better equipped for getting new commissions than Roark?
5. Why does Cameron fire Roark?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)