|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
(a) She threatens to have him fired from the quarry.
(b) She fakes falling off her horse near the quarry.
(c) She invites him to a candlelight dinner.
(d) She damages the fireplace in her bedroom and asks him to repair it.
2. How do the newspapers treat Henry Cameron's retirement?
(a) They give it little space and misspell the names of his buildings.
(b) They devote a full page to his achievements.
(c) They honor him as the premiere architect of all time.
(d) They make no mention of his retirement at all.
3. How does Peter go about getting rid of Heyer?
(a) He puts medication in Heyer's coffee that causes him to have a stroke.
(b) He confronts him with a shady business deal Heyer once made.
(c) He informs Francon that Heyer is embezzling from the company.
(d) He plays up his friendship with the old man.
4. What spoils Peter's joy at winning the "most beautiful building" contest?
(a) Roark demands money from Peter for the work he did.
(b) He does not really like the design.
(c) People think the contest was rigged.
(d) He knows that it was Roark's work that helped him win.
5. What infuriates Dominique about the replacement fireplace?
(a) It has obscene carvings on it.
(b) It does not blend in with the architecture of the house.
(c) Roark sends another workman to install it.
(d) It is ugly.
6. What event marked the beginning of Roark's own architecture firm?
(a) When Peter secretly put up the money.
(b) Heller's check written out to Howard Roark, Architect.
(c) Snyte offering him a full partnership.
(d) The death of Henry Cameron.
7. What indicates that Katie is disillusioned with "selflessness"?
(a) She is unhappy doing social work.
(b) She only does social work because she fears Ellsworth.
(c) She thinks her work is why Peter has not married her yet.
(d) She wants to be more like her uncle and give speeches.
8. What is Roark's attitude after being expelled from school?
(a) He thinks being an architect will be more difficult but not impossible.
(b) He is ashamed of himself for being so stupid.
(c) He believes he will never be an architect.
(d) He thinks he was wrong to criticize the classical style.
9. What are Roark's criteria for designing a new building?
(a) Beauty, size, and familiarity
(b) Bricks, location, and cost
(c) Materials, site, and purpose
(d) Social mobility, fame, and wealth
10. Why is Roark expelled from the Architectural School of the Stanton Institute of Technology?
(a) He really has no talent as an architect.
(b) His designs do not conform to the classical style.
(c) He copies the work of other students.
(d) He misses too many lectures.
11. How does Toohey get offered a job as a Banner columnist?
(a) He offers to work for free.
(b) He threatens to organize a workers' strike.
(c) He is recommended by Francon.
(d) He publishes his book.
12. Why is the opening of the temple canceled?
(a) It is postponed because there needs to be more publicity.
(b) Toohey is not ready to destroy Roark.
(c) Stoddard is horrified at the design.
(d) Mallory has not finished the stature.
13. Why does Cameron eventually hire Roark?
(a) Roark will bring public acceptance to Cameron's firm.
(b) Roark was the top student at Architectural School of the Stanton Institute of Technology.
(c) Roark agrees that he has a lot to learn.
(d) He thinks he can intimidate Roark.
14. Why does Peter want Roark to abandon his plan to open his own firm?
(a) Peter thinks Roark will no longer have time to help him with his designs.
(b) Peter really wants to be partners with Roark.
(c) Peter knows the value of Roark's work and fears the competition.
(d) Peter knows that Roark will fail and wants to save him.
15. What happens when Roark and Dominique meet up at the Holcombe party?
(a) They both pretend they have never met.
(b) Dominique becomes upset and leaves the party.
(c) Dominique grabs Peter and kisses him.
(d) Roark takes her back to his place.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it clear that Peter knows Dominique is in love with another man?
2. When the Heller house is finished, how is it received?
3. Why is Roark fired from the Snyte firm?
4. Where does Peter finally get to meet Dominique?
5. What brings about the downfall of Henry Cameron?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)