|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toohey write in his column about the Enright house?
(a) Again he attacks Roark as revolutionary.
(b) Nothing. He refuses to mention it.
(c) He says that Roark is insane.
(d) He writes that the house is like a box.
2. What do people say about Roark's work after the opening of the Enright house?
(a) It is an improvement over the classical style.
(b) It is cold and inhuman.
(c) It is a work of genius.
(d) It is the new direction all architecture will follow.
3. What was the result of Dominique's articles on the slums?
(a) The landlords sell the slums.
(b) The landlords lower the rent on the slums.
(c) Waynand refuses to buy the slums.
(d) Dominique gets a new job in slum welfare.
4. What is Roark's attitude after being expelled from school?
(a) He thinks he was wrong to criticize the classical style.
(b) He is ashamed of himself for being so stupid.
(c) He thinks being an architect will be more difficult but not impossible.
(d) He believes he will never be an architect.
5. Why does Francon contact Roark on the design of a new building?
(a) Peter is out of town and does not want the job.
(b) The client rejected all of the designs Francon presented to them.
(c) Francon secretly admires Roark's independent ideas.
(d) Francon knows Roark will compromise with his ideas of classicism.
6. How is Dominique disappointed in her relationship with Roark?
(a) She feels that he has gained power over her.
(b) She wants to change and be supportive of his work.
(c) She thinks it is too easy to control Roark.
(d) She plans to stop seeing him.
7. When Peter feels the stress of the strike, where does he go with Katie?
(a) To help pass out leaflets
(b) To his apartment
(c) To walk in the park
(d) To hear a speech by Ellsworth Toohey
8. Why does Cameron eventually hire Roark?
(a) Roark agrees that he has a lot to learn.
(b) Roark was the top student at Architectural School of the Stanton Institute of Technology.
(c) Roark will bring public acceptance to Cameron's firm.
(d) He thinks he can intimidate Roark.
9. What does Peter tell Toohey about Roark.
(a) He tells him that Roark was kicked out of school.
(b) He denies knowing Roark.
(c) He tells Toohey to mind his own business.
(d) He says that Roark helps him with many of his designs.
10. Who takes a shot at Ellsworth Toohey?
(a) Katie, Ellsworth's niece
(c) Lois Cook, the writer
(d) Steven Mallory, the sculptor
11. What is the real meaning behind Dominique's critique on the Enright house?
(a) She says that it is a ridiculous looking structure.
(b) She writes that it should be copied by other architects.
(c) She thinks the houses near it make it look all that much worse.
(d) She is subtly saying that it is a work of genius.
12. How does Dominique get her information to write an article about the slums?
(a) She interviews people who once lived in the slums.
(b) She goes to live in the slums.
(c) She confronts the owners of the slums.
(d) She has a photographer go and take pictures of the slums.
13. Why is the opening of the temple canceled?
(a) Stoddard is horrified at the design.
(b) Toohey is not ready to destroy Roark.
(c) Mallory has not finished the stature.
(d) It is postponed because there needs to be more publicity.
14. What does Toohey say about himself that other people think he is joking about?
(a) He says that he really does not understand architecture.
(b) He says that he is not a humanitarian.
(c) He says that he is a dangerous man.
(d) He says that only he knows how to design buildings.
15. What happens when Roark and Dominique meet up at the Holcombe party?
(a) Dominique grabs Peter and kisses him.
(b) Dominique becomes upset and leaves the party.
(c) Roark takes her back to his place.
(d) They both pretend they have never met.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Roark's philosophy about designing a building?
2. What are Roark's criteria for designing a new building?
3. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
4. What event in Toohey's childhood marks the beginning of his conflict with the bright and the beautiful?
5. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)