Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stands in the way of Peter's becoming a full partner with Francon?
(a) Francon wants Perer to marry Dominique first.
(b) Katie threatens to tell Dominique that she is engaged to Peter.
(c) Heyer prefers one of the other draftsmen.
(d) Lucius Heyer refuses to retire.
2. Although Stoddard wins the lawsuit against Roark, what happens to Dominique?
(a) Wynand promotes her to assistant editor.
(b) She gets a bonus for testifying against Roark.
(c) Toohey offers her a job as his researcher.
(d) Wynand fires her.
3. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
(a) She damages the fireplace in her bedroom and asks him to repair it.
(b) She invites him to a candlelight dinner.
(c) She fakes falling off her horse near the quarry.
(d) She threatens to have him fired from the quarry.
4. What is Roark's attitude after being expelled from school?
(a) He thinks being an architect will be more difficult but not impossible.
(b) He is ashamed of himself for being so stupid.
(c) He believes he will never be an architect.
(d) He thinks he was wrong to criticize the classical style.
5. What infuriates Dominique about the replacement fireplace?
(a) It has obscene carvings on it.
(b) It is ugly.
(c) It does not blend in with the architecture of the house.
(d) Roark sends another workman to install it.
6. What does Peter do with his "world's most beautiful building" contest design?
(a) He takes it to Roark for improvement.
(b) He tells Toohey which one is his.
(c) He reminds the Stanton professor that he graduated from there.
(d) He asks Dominique to give him her suggestions.
7. How does Peter Keating get rid of Claude Stengle?
(a) By rigging an elevator accident
(b) By convincing Francon that Stengle is stealing clients
(c) By claiming that Stengle copies his designs
(d) By becoming his best friend
8. Who takes a shot at Ellsworth Toohey?
(a) Katie, Ellsworth's niece
(c) Lois Cook, the writer
(d) Steven Mallory, the sculptor
9. What is the conflict between Francon and Gail Wynand?
(a) Wynand thinks Francon is going to take over his newspaper.
(b) They compete for the affections of Lili Landau.
(c) Wynand wants to marry Francon's daughter.
(d) Francon is jealous of Wynand's privileged upbringing.
10. What is Lois Cook's criteria for her new house?
(a) It must be ugly and defy popular ideas of beauty.
(b) It must look like an Italian palace.
(c) It must have at least three floors.
(d) It must be the most beautiful house in New York.
11. When the Heller house is finished, how is it received?
(a) It is either ignored or ridiculed.
(b) Peter Keating wants to design houses just like it.
(c) It gets rave reviews from Ellsworth Toohey.
(d) Everyone now wants houses designed by Roark.
12. What indicates that Katie is disillusioned with "selflessness"?
(a) She wants to be more like her uncle and give speeches.
(b) She thinks her work is why Peter has not married her yet.
(c) She only does social work because she fears Ellsworth.
(d) She is unhappy doing social work.
13. What was the result of Dominique's articles on the slums?
(a) Waynand refuses to buy the slums.
(b) The landlords sell the slums.
(c) The landlords lower the rent on the slums.
(d) Dominique gets a new job in slum welfare.
14. Why is Roark fired from the Snyte firm?
(a) Austen Heller refused to allow Roark to design his house.
(b) He refused to work with Austen Heller.
(c) Roark's design for the Heller house was defective.
(d) He removed the work other architects added to his design for Austen Heller.
15. What event in Toohey's childhood marks the beginning of his conflict with the bright and the beautiful?
(a) He took candy to do other students' homework.
(b) He sprays water on Johnny Stokes' new suit.
(c) He only attends parties of popular students.
(d) He makes fun of his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
2. What does Peter learn from Francon?
3. Why does Dominique agree to testify against Roark when he is sued by Stoddard?
4. Why does Francon contact Roark on the design of a new building?
5. Why does Roark find himself unable to get a job?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)