|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Sutton hired Roark, he subsequently fired him. What reason did he give Roark?
(a) That Enright says Roark is too expensive.
(b) That Dominique convinced him to hire Peter instead.
(c) That Peter will bring him more publicity.
(d) That Roark did not design the building they agreed on.
2. What does Peter learn from Francon?
(a) How to become an independent thinker
(b) The need to avoid Ellsworth Toomey
(c) The social skills needed for success
(d) How to improve his designs
3. Why is it difficult for Peter Keating to decide what to do after graduation?
(a) He knows he is a better architect than Roark.
(b) His mother wants him to accept a scholarship in Paris.
(c) He understands that people do not really like him.
(d) He is torn between his own desires and what others think he should do.
4. What does Toohey write in his column about the Enright house?
(a) Again he attacks Roark as revolutionary.
(b) He writes that the house is like a box.
(c) He says that Roark is insane.
(d) Nothing. He refuses to mention it.
5. What does Peter do with his "world's most beautiful building" contest design?
(a) He tells Toohey which one is his.
(b) He reminds the Stanton professor that he graduated from there.
(c) He takes it to Roark for improvement.
(d) He asks Dominique to give him her suggestions.
6. Why does the Dean consider Roark to be insubordinate?
(a) He thinks Roark's buildings are unsafe.
(b) Roark prefers swimming to paying attention in class.
(c) Roark refuses to accept only the classical styles that the school teaches.
(d) He fears that Roark might get his job.
7. How do the newspapers treat Henry Cameron's retirement?
(a) They give it little space and misspell the names of his buildings.
(b) They devote a full page to his achievements.
(c) They honor him as the premiere architect of all time.
(d) They make no mention of his retirement at all.
8. How was Roark able to reopen his architecture business?
(a) Peter loaned him the money.
(b) He inherited money from Heyer.
(c) Dominique secretly supported him.
(d) He got the Enright contract.
9. What do people say about Roark's work after the opening of the Enright house?
(a) It is cold and inhuman.
(b) It is the new direction all architecture will follow.
(c) It is an improvement over the classical style.
(d) It is a work of genius.
10. What is the chief reaction of the public to Stoddard's temple?
(a) They think it is a new religion.
(b) They call it blasphemy.
(c) They like the building but hate the statue.
(d) They praise its originality.
11. Why does Roark find himself unable to get a job?
(a) His performance at school was too exceptional.
(b) He is supported by Gordon Prescott, a hated journalist.
(c) He has a public reputation for failure.
(d) He is seen as a lacky for Francon and Heyer.
12. What event marked the beginning of Roark's own architecture firm?
(a) Snyte offering him a full partnership.
(b) The death of Henry Cameron.
(c) Heller's check written out to Howard Roark, Architect.
(d) When Peter secretly put up the money.
13. Why is Dominique disappointed when she verifies that Roark is reading her articles?
(a) They do not seem to hurt him like she wants.
(b) He uses them for the coffee grounds in the office.
(c) He has marked out many of the sentences.
(d) He becomes more violent when they meet.
14. Who takes a shot at Ellsworth Toohey?
(a) Lois Cook, the writer
(b) Katie, Ellsworth's niece
(d) Steven Mallory, the sculptor
15. What happens when Roark shows up uninvited at Dominique's door?
(a) He destroys the new fireplace.
(b) He tells her who he really is.
(c) He takes her by force.
(d) He refuses to make love to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Peter feels the stress of the strike, where does he go with Katie?
2. When Peter hears that Toohey has been shot, what is his first concern?
3. What is the conflict between Francon and Gail Wynand?
4. What happens to the temple that is now a home for "subnormal children"?
5. Why is the opening of the temple canceled?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)