|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Roark hire Mallory to make the sculpture for the temple he is building?
(a) He thinks Mallory's work is excellent.
(b) He wants to insult Toohey.
(c) He thinks he can control Mallory.
(d) He thinks he can get Mallory to work cheap.
2. What does Dominique think her private relationship with Roark gives her when they meet in public?
(a) Power to control him
(b) A serious heatbreak
(c) Fear that he will say something
(d) A big laugh
3. What happens to the sculptor Mallory?
(a) He skips out on his bail.
(b) He is sentenced to die.
(c) He goes to prison for twenty years.
(d) He receives a suspended sentence.
4. What is the unexpected coincidence involving Katie Halsey?
(a) She happens to be the niece of Ellsworth Toomey.
(b) She is good friends with Dominique Francon.
(c) She moves from Boston to New York to be with Peter.
(d) She accidentally runs into Peter at the museum.
5. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
(a) She fakes falling off her horse near the quarry.
(b) She invites him to a candlelight dinner.
(c) She damages the fireplace in her bedroom and asks him to repair it.
(d) She threatens to have him fired from the quarry.
6. When the Heller house is finished, how is it received?
(a) It gets rave reviews from Ellsworth Toohey.
(b) It is either ignored or ridiculed.
(c) Peter Keating wants to design houses just like it.
(d) Everyone now wants houses designed by Roark.
7. Why does Dominique agree to testify against Roark when he is sued by Stoddard?
(a) She wants the publicity as the model for Mallory's statue.
(b) She is blackmailed to do so by Toohey.
(c) She secretly wants to protect him from the pain of rejection.
(d) She thinks this will finally give her the upper hand in their relationship.
8. What does Peter do with his "world's most beautiful building" contest design?
(a) He tells Toohey which one is his.
(b) He takes it to Roark for improvement.
(c) He reminds the Stanton professor that he graduated from there.
(d) He asks Dominique to give him her suggestions.
9. When Dominique offers to have her marriage to Peter annulled, what is Roark's reaction?
(a) He threatens to tell Peter where she was that night.
(b) He demands that she annul the marriage immediately.
(c) He says he does not want to marry Dominique ever.
(d) He says he will wait for her.
10. Why is Dominique disappointed when she verifies that Roark is reading her articles?
(a) He becomes more violent when they meet.
(b) He has marked out many of the sentences.
(c) He uses them for the coffee grounds in the office.
(d) They do not seem to hurt him like she wants.
11. How does Dominique get her information to write an article about the slums?
(a) She goes to live in the slums.
(b) She interviews people who once lived in the slums.
(c) She has a photographer go and take pictures of the slums.
(d) She confronts the owners of the slums.
12. What stands in the way of Peter's becoming a full partner with Francon?
(a) Heyer prefers one of the other draftsmen.
(b) Francon wants Perer to marry Dominique first.
(c) Lucius Heyer refuses to retire.
(d) Katie threatens to tell Dominique that she is engaged to Peter.
13. How does Dominique feel about Roark in Connecticut?
(a) She thinks that letting him stare at her gives her power over him.
(b) She thinks he is conceited because of his muscular body.
(c) He makes her want to return to the city.
(d) She is both attracted to him and repelled by him.
14. Why does Katie show up at the apartment of Peter and his mother?
(a) She wanted to break her engagement to Peter.
(b) She was overly fond of Peter's mother.
(c) She had a sudden fear that something was wrong.
(d) She wants to warn Peter about Dominique.
15. What does Toohey say about himself that other people think he is joking about?
(a) He says that he really does not understand architecture.
(b) He says that he is not a humanitarian.
(c) He says that he is a dangerous man.
(d) He says that only he knows how to design buildings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Toohey think was a "cosmic joke?"
2. In what way is Peter Keating better equipped for getting new commissions than Roark?
3. At the firm of John Eric Snyte, what type of building design is assigned to Roark?
4. What event marked the beginning of Roark's own architecture firm?
5. What does Toohey call the "Unfinished Symphony"?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)