|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter tell Toohey about Roark.
(a) He tells Toohey to mind his own business.
(b) He tells him that Roark was kicked out of school.
(c) He says that Roark helps him with many of his designs.
(d) He denies knowing Roark.
2. Why is Dominique disappointed when she verifies that Roark is reading her articles?
(a) He becomes more violent when they meet.
(b) He uses them for the coffee grounds in the office.
(c) He has marked out many of the sentences.
(d) They do not seem to hurt him like she wants.
3. What is Peter's condition when he visits Katie and insists they marry the following day?
(a) He is afraid that Katie will reject him.
(b) He is finally happy with his life.
(c) He is angry with himself for testifying in Roark's favor.
(d) He is drunk.
4. What are Roark's criteria for designing a new building?
(a) Social mobility, fame, and wealth
(b) Beauty, size, and familiarity
(c) Materials, site, and purpose
(d) Bricks, location, and cost
5. How does Dominique contrive to get Roark to her father's house in Connecticut?
(a) She invites him to a candlelight dinner.
(b) She threatens to have him fired from the quarry.
(c) She fakes falling off her horse near the quarry.
(d) She damages the fireplace in her bedroom and asks him to repair it.
6. What does Toohey write in his column about the Enright house?
(a) He says that Roark is insane.
(b) Nothing. He refuses to mention it.
(c) Again he attacks Roark as revolutionary.
(d) He writes that the house is like a box.
7. Why does Roark hire Mallory to make the sculpture for the temple he is building?
(a) He wants to insult Toohey.
(b) He thinks Mallory's work is excellent.
(c) He thinks he can control Mallory.
(d) He thinks he can get Mallory to work cheap.
8. What happens when Roark shows up uninvited at Dominique's door?
(a) He takes her by force.
(b) He tells her who he really is.
(c) He destroys the new fireplace.
(d) He refuses to make love to her.
9. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
(a) It is to get back at Dominique Francon.
(b) It is his only way to get close to Ellsworth Toomey.
(c) It is romantic and exciting.
(d) It is lukewarm and emotionless.
10. What was the result of Dominique's articles on the slums?
(a) Dominique gets a new job in slum welfare.
(b) Waynand refuses to buy the slums.
(c) The landlords sell the slums.
(d) The landlords lower the rent on the slums.
11. When Peter hears that Toohey has been shot, what is his first concern?
(a) That Roark finally snapped after Toohey's attacks on his buildings.
(b) That Toohey's favorable article about him might not get published.
(c) That Toohey will think Peter was the one who tried to kill him.
(d) That Katie will not marry him after that.
12. What event marked the beginning of Roark's own architecture firm?
(a) The death of Henry Cameron.
(b) Snyte offering him a full partnership.
(c) When Peter secretly put up the money.
(d) Heller's check written out to Howard Roark, Architect.
13. Why is Roark expelled from the Architectural School of the Stanton Institute of Technology?
(a) He copies the work of other students.
(b) He really has no talent as an architect.
(c) He misses too many lectures.
(d) His designs do not conform to the classical style.
14. Why does Francon contact Roark on the design of a new building?
(a) Francon secretly admires Roark's independent ideas.
(b) Peter is out of town and does not want the job.
(c) Francon knows Roark will compromise with his ideas of classicism.
(d) The client rejected all of the designs Francon presented to them.
15. What is the unexpected coincidence involving Katie Halsey?
(a) She moves from Boston to New York to be with Peter.
(b) She is good friends with Dominique Francon.
(c) She accidentally runs into Peter at the museum.
(d) She happens to be the niece of Ellsworth Toomey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unable to get work as an architect, what does Roark do to earn a living?
2. What does Toohey call the "Unfinished Symphony"?
3. What does Peter think of Roark's design for the Enright house?
4. When Dominique offers to have her marriage to Peter annulled, what is Roark's reaction?
5. How was Roark able to reopen his architecture business?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)