|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it difficult for Peter Keating to decide what to do after graduation?
(a) He knows he is a better architect than Roark.
(b) His mother wants him to accept a scholarship in Paris.
(c) He understands that people do not really like him.
(d) He is torn between his own desires and what others think he should do.
2. How do the newspapers treat Henry Cameron's retirement?
(a) They honor him as the premiere architect of all time.
(b) They devote a full page to his achievements.
(c) They give it little space and misspell the names of his buildings.
(d) They make no mention of his retirement at all.
3. What happens when Roark and Dominique meet up at the Holcombe party?
(a) They both pretend they have never met.
(b) Dominique grabs Peter and kisses him.
(c) Roark takes her back to his place.
(d) Dominique becomes upset and leaves the party.
4. Why does Peter want Roark to abandon his plan to open his own firm?
(a) Peter really wants to be partners with Roark.
(b) Peter thinks Roark will no longer have time to help him with his designs.
(c) Peter knows the value of Roark's work and fears the competition.
(d) Peter knows that Roark will fail and wants to save him.
5. What spoils Peter's joy at winning the "most beautiful building" contest?
(a) People think the contest was rigged.
(b) He does not really like the design.
(c) Roark demands money from Peter for the work he did.
(d) He knows that it was Roark's work that helped him win.
6. How does Toohey get offered a job as a Banner columnist?
(a) He is recommended by Francon.
(b) He threatens to organize a workers' strike.
(c) He offers to work for free.
(d) He publishes his book.
7. What does Toohey say about himself that other people think he is joking about?
(a) He says that he really does not understand architecture.
(b) He says that he is not a humanitarian.
(c) He says that only he knows how to design buildings.
(d) He says that he is a dangerous man.
8. How does Dominique feel about Roark in Connecticut?
(a) She thinks he is conceited because of his muscular body.
(b) He makes her want to return to the city.
(c) She is both attracted to him and repelled by him.
(d) She thinks that letting him stare at her gives her power over him.
9. What is the socialist theme of Toomey's book, "Sermons in Stone"?
(a) That architecture should be about what people want.
(b) That buildings should be functional as well as beautiful.
(c) That architecture has nothing to do with culture or the environment.
(d) That only brilliant minds can design buildings.
10. How does Peter Keating get rid of Claude Stengle?
(a) By rigging an elevator accident
(b) By becoming his best friend
(c) By claiming that Stengle copies his designs
(d) By convincing Francon that Stengle is stealing clients
11. What brings about the downfall of Henry Cameron?
(a) His lack of social graces
(b) His alcoholism
(c) The Columbian Exposition of Chicago
(d) The structural weaknesses of his designs
12. Why is the opening of the temple canceled?
(a) Stoddard is horrified at the design.
(b) Mallory has not finished the stature.
(c) It is postponed because there needs to be more publicity.
(d) Toohey is not ready to destroy Roark.
13. Who is the only person to see through Dominique's constant criticism of Roark's work in her column?
(b) Peter Keating
(d) Ellsworth Toohey
14. Why is Roark expelled from the Architectural School of the Stanton Institute of Technology?
(a) His designs do not conform to the classical style.
(b) He really has no talent as an architect.
(c) He copies the work of other students.
(d) He misses too many lectures.
15. What is Lois Cook's criteria for her new house?
(a) It must be ugly and defy popular ideas of beauty.
(b) It must be the most beautiful house in New York.
(c) It must look like an Italian palace.
(d) It must have at least three floors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cameron fire Roark?
2. Why does Peter Keating offer to do Davis' work after hours?
3. What does Jimmy Gowans want Roark to design and build for him?
4. Francon and Toomey agree about architecture for what reason?
5. What is Peter's condition when he visits Katie and insists they marry the following day?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)