|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Peter want Roark to abandon his plan to open his own firm?
(a) Peter thinks Roark will no longer have time to help him with his designs.
(b) Peter knows that Roark will fail and wants to save him.
(c) Peter really wants to be partners with Roark.
(d) Peter knows the value of Roark's work and fears the competition.
2. What is the socialist theme of Toomey's book, "Sermons in Stone"?
(a) That buildings should be functional as well as beautiful.
(b) That only brilliant minds can design buildings.
(c) That architecture should be about what people want.
(d) That architecture has nothing to do with culture or the environment.
3. How is it clear that Peter knows Dominique is in love with another man?
(a) She refuses to move into his apartment.
(b) She refuses to sleep with him.
(c) He accuses her of loving Howard Roark.
(d) He asks her who it is.
4. What infuriates Dominique about the replacement fireplace?
(a) It has obscene carvings on it.
(b) Roark sends another workman to install it.
(c) It does not blend in with the architecture of the house.
(d) It is ugly.
5. What is Roark's attitude after being expelled from school?
(a) He thinks he was wrong to criticize the classical style.
(b) He thinks being an architect will be more difficult but not impossible.
(c) He is ashamed of himself for being so stupid.
(d) He believes he will never be an architect.
6. Why does Cameron fire Roark?
(a) Roark is insubordinate.
(b) The other draftsmen do not like Roark.
(c) Roark's work is sub-standard.
(d) He believes that working for him will harm Roark's career.
7. What does Peter think of Roark's design for the Enright house?
(a) He thinks it is Roark's greatest work.
(b) He thinks it does not look like a building.
(c) He thinks Enright will reward Roark.
(d) He thinks his next house will look like that.
8. Why do Roark and the electrician, Mike, become great friends?
(a) Mike has great respect for all architects.
(b) Roark thinks Mike can help him with his designs.
(c) Both men hate Henry Cameron.
(d) Mike sees Roark get his hands dirty on a building site.
9. What is the irony of Heyer's death?
(a) Francon decides he does not need a partner after all.
(b) Peter decides to use his wealth to open his own firm.
(c) Peter not only becomes a partner, he inherits Heyer's fortune.
(d) A clause in Heyer's will lets Peter inherit only if he does not become a partner.
10. Who takes a shot at Ellsworth Toohey?
(a) Katie, Ellsworth's niece
(b) Lois Cook, the writer
(c) Steven Mallory, the sculptor
11. When Peter hears that Toohey has been shot, what is his first concern?
(a) That Toohey will think Peter was the one who tried to kill him.
(b) That Roark finally snapped after Toohey's attacks on his buildings.
(c) That Katie will not marry him after that.
(d) That Toohey's favorable article about him might not get published.
12. Why is the opening of the temple canceled?
(a) Stoddard is horrified at the design.
(b) It is postponed because there needs to be more publicity.
(c) Toohey is not ready to destroy Roark.
(d) Mallory has not finished the stature.
13. What brings about the downfall of Henry Cameron?
(a) His alcoholism
(b) The structural weaknesses of his designs
(c) The Columbian Exposition of Chicago
(d) His lack of social graces
14. Who actually does the designs for Francon and Heyer?
15. How does Toohey get offered a job as a Banner columnist?
(a) He publishes his book.
(b) He offers to work for free.
(c) He is recommended by Francon.
(d) He threatens to organize a workers' strike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the chief reaction of the public to Stoddard's temple?
2. Why does Roark hire Mallory to make the sculpture for the temple he is building?
3. What is Lois Cook's criteria for her new house?
4. What does Toohey call the "Unfinished Symphony"?
5. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)