|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Roark hire Mallory to make the sculpture for the temple he is building?
(a) He thinks he can control Mallory.
(b) He wants to insult Toohey.
(c) He thinks Mallory's work is excellent.
(d) He thinks he can get Mallory to work cheap.
2. What does Dominique want to do to Roark?
(a) She wants to make him apologize for raping her.
(b) She wants to marry him.
(c) She wants to make him a star.
(d) She wants to destroy him as an architect.
3. What event prevents Peter from marrying Katie?
(a) He regrets not being honest with Katie.
(b) Peter's mother talks him out of the marriage.
(c) He elopes with Dominique.
(d) Toohey locks Katie in her room to stop the wedding.
4. How does Peter Keating get rid of Claude Stengle?
(a) By claiming that Stengle copies his designs
(b) By rigging an elevator accident
(c) By becoming his best friend
(d) By convincing Francon that Stengle is stealing clients
5. When Dominique reveals that Toohey got Roark the job of building the temple to destroy him, what is Roark's reaction?
(a) He thinks about killing Toohey.
(b) He resigns as the temple architect.
(c) He decides to do a classical building to fool Toohey.
(d) He laughs.
6. Why is Roark fired from the Snyte firm?
(a) He removed the work other architects added to his design for Austen Heller.
(b) Austen Heller refused to allow Roark to design his house.
(c) He refused to work with Austen Heller.
(d) Roark's design for the Heller house was defective.
7. How do the newspapers treat Henry Cameron's retirement?
(a) They devote a full page to his achievements.
(b) They make no mention of his retirement at all.
(c) They honor him as the premiere architect of all time.
(d) They give it little space and misspell the names of his buildings.
8. What do people say about Roark's work after the opening of the Enright house?
(a) It is the new direction all architecture will follow.
(b) It is an improvement over the classical style.
(c) It is a work of genius.
(d) It is cold and inhuman.
9. What is Lois Cook's criteria for her new house?
(a) It must be ugly and defy popular ideas of beauty.
(b) It must have at least three floors.
(c) It must look like an Italian palace.
(d) It must be the most beautiful house in New York.
10. What does Toohey write in his column about the Enright house?
(a) Nothing. He refuses to mention it.
(b) He writes that the house is like a box.
(c) He says that Roark is insane.
(d) Again he attacks Roark as revolutionary.
11. After Sutton hired Roark, he subsequently fired him. What reason did he give Roark?
(a) That Peter will bring him more publicity.
(b) That Enright says Roark is too expensive.
(c) That Roark did not design the building they agreed on.
(d) That Dominique convinced him to hire Peter instead.
12. How is Dominique disappointed in her relationship with Roark?
(a) She plans to stop seeing him.
(b) She wants to change and be supportive of his work.
(c) She feels that he has gained power over her.
(d) She thinks it is too easy to control Roark.
13. When Dominique offers to have her marriage to Peter annulled, what is Roark's reaction?
(a) He says he does not want to marry Dominique ever.
(b) He demands that she annul the marriage immediately.
(c) He threatens to tell Peter where she was that night.
(d) He says he will wait for her.
14. What does Peter tell Toohey about Roark.
(a) He denies knowing Roark.
(b) He says that Roark helps him with many of his designs.
(c) He tells Toohey to mind his own business.
(d) He tells him that Roark was kicked out of school.
15. Why does Katie show up at the apartment of Peter and his mother?
(a) She wants to warn Peter about Dominique.
(b) She had a sudden fear that something was wrong.
(c) She wanted to break her engagement to Peter.
(d) She was overly fond of Peter's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peter Keating offer to do Davis' work after hours?
2. What event in Toohey's childhood marks the beginning of his conflict with the bright and the beautiful?
3. What stands in the way of Peter's becoming a full partner with Francon?
4. What does Peter learn from Francon?
5. Where does Dominique spend her wedding night?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)