|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 | Part 1, Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Roark and the electrician, Mike, become great friends?
(a) Roark thinks Mike can help him with his designs.
(b) Mike has great respect for all architects.
(c) Mike sees Roark get his hands dirty on a building site.
(d) Both men hate Henry Cameron.
2. What best describes Peter's proposal to Katie?
(a) It is romantic and exciting.
(b) It is his only way to get close to Ellsworth Toomey.
(c) It is to get back at Dominique Francon.
(d) It is lukewarm and emotionless.
3. What is Roark's philosophy about designing a building?
(a) He believes the design should grow out of the purpose for the building.
(b) He thinks buildings should not be pleasing to the eye.
(c) He believes his ideas should come from great architects of the past.
(d) He thinks buildings should be shocking to the public.
4. Why does Roark find himself unable to get a job?
(a) His performance at school was too exceptional.
(b) He is seen as a lacky for Francon and Heyer.
(c) He is supported by Gordon Prescott, a hated journalist.
(d) He has a public reputation for failure.
5. What is the socialist theme of Toomey's book, "Sermons in Stone"?
(a) That buildings should be functional as well as beautiful.
(b) That only brilliant minds can design buildings.
(c) That architecture has nothing to do with culture or the environment.
(d) That architecture should be about what people want.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Roark fired from the Snyte firm?
2. Why does Henry Cameron retire?
3. What is the conflict between Francon and Gail Wynand?
4. At the firm of John Eric Snyte, what type of building design is assigned to Roark?
5. Why is Roark expelled from the Architectural School of the Stanton Institute of Technology?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)