Objective: The student will be able to identify Ayn Rand's theme of Individualism versus Socialism in the novel by categorizing the main characters and their roles in presenting Rand's arguments.
1) Using the text, select passages that express the following:
1. The idea that there comes a point when all rules are established and there is no room for any further thought or creativity.
2. How Roark's behavior identifies him as an individualist rather than a mindless follower.
3. The symbolism Rand employs to show the enormity of the challenges Roark will face in becoming an architect.
4. Show Roark's process of critical thinking and discuss this in class.
5. From Chapter Two, identify the passages that define Peter Keating's character.
6. Be able to contrast Peter Keating and Howard Roark.
Read Chapters 3 and 4 and write a paragraph describing the difference in Peter's and Roark's efforts to succeed. Be prepared to discuss those...
This section contains 5,716 words
(approx. 20 pages at 300 words per page)