Part 1, Chapter 1 | Part 1, Chapter 2
* Howard Roark faces the first of his defeats by collective opinion when he is expelled from the Architectural School of the Stanton Institute of Technology.
* Roark's conflict with the school is his originality versus the school's insistence on copying classic architectural design.
* Peter Keating, a classmate of Roark's, is untalented and manages to graduate at the top of his class by copying past architects.
* Peter lets go of his dream to study art in order to please his mother who wants him to be an architect.
Part 1, Chapter 3 | Part 1, Chapter 4
* Peter deludes himself into thinking he is really good and begins worming his way into the good graces of Francon and Heyer, the owners of the company.
* Peter learns that Francon has not designed a building in years and relies on his chief designer to do that work for him.
* Roark goes to apply...
This section contains 2,547 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)