|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jefferson spend most of his term as vice president?
2. Who was elected president in 1800?
3. What marked the change in Jefferson's attitude towards George Washington?
4. What heritages were represented in the Seal of the United States designed by Adams, Franklin and Jefferson?
5. What was the nickname given to John Adams in the Constitutional Congress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the marriage between John and Abigail Adams so unusual?
2. Why were John Adams and Thomas Jefferson at the top of everyone's list as possible replacements for Washington as President?
3. Why did Jefferson make an ineffective Vice President to Adams?
4. What role did Madison and Hamilton play in their contributions to the Washington Farewell Address?
5. Why was Jefferson so enamored with the French Revolution?
6. How serious would it have been if South Carolina and Georgia seceded from the Union in 1790?
7. Why do you think the framers of the Constitution placed a moratorium on laws regarding slavery until 1808?
8. What was the main difference between the Jefferson/Adams friendship and the Jefferson/Madison friendship?
9. Why did Adams suggest that the President be referred to as "His Majesty"?
10. Discuss in detail the reasons Washington decided to retire from public office.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe public opinion changed so radically regarding duels after the death of Alexander Hamilton? Do you think the American Republic was ashamed to be caught dealing with their problems in the same manner as the Europeans they had rebelled against?
Essay Topic 2
John Adams believed his role in history would be forgotten, even though he was the second man to serve as President. What factors contributed to this belief?
Essay Topic 3
What would have happened, in your opinion, if Washington had died in office rather than step down voluntarily. Would the democratic process taken over, and if so, would the Americans have chosen another man for another twenty year term?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)