|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Jay's Treaty received in the public?
2. Who was Talleyrand?
3. Who urged General Washington to free all the slaves at the end of the Revolutionary War?
4. How many other presidents have served as long as Washington did as the head of our nation?
5. What suggestion did George Washington want in the Farewell Address, but Hamilton talked him out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the difference in the way Washington and Jefferson defined the role of America in the affairs of other countries?
2. Discuss in detail the reasons Washington decided to retire from public office.
3. How did Benjamin Franklin contribute to the debates over slavery?
4. What role did Madison and Hamilton play in their contributions to the Washington Farewell Address?
5. Why were John Adams and Thomas Jefferson at the top of everyone's list as possible replacements for Washington as President?
6. How serious would it have been if South Carolina and Georgia seceded from the Union in 1790?
7. Why do you think the framers of the Constitution placed a moratorium on laws regarding slavery until 1808?
8. How did these debates contribute to the knowledge of this issue in our country?
9. Describe the change in Jefferson's attitude towards Washington that began with the Whiskey Rebellion.
10. Why did the Federalist party disappear and the Republican party remain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Thomas Jefferson's view of government. Did his view hinder the growth of the country or enhance it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the quote of John Adams that he and Jefferson had much to explain to each other before they died. What did they need to discuss? How did this discussion through the lengthy correspondence affect history?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the American Republic's new leaders did not retaliate violently towards its citizens who had been British sympathizers during the war? What does the author mean when he refers to revolutionary victors "devouring their young"?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)