|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who held in his possession the secret minutes of the Constitutional Convention?
2. What was the religious preference of the delegations that presented the petitions?
3. Even though Jay's Treaty was not popular, what was the main reason it passed into acceptance?
4. Who was elected president in 1800?
5. How many books did Thomas Jefferson publish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the marriage between John and Abigail Adams so unusual?
2. How did Benjamin Franklin contribute to the debates over slavery?
3. Why were John Adams and Thomas Jefferson at the top of everyone's list as possible replacements for Washington as President?
4. Describe the change in Jefferson's attitude towards Washington that began with the Whiskey Rebellion.
5. Why did Jefferson make an ineffective Vice President to Adams?
6. What role did Madison and Hamilton play in their contributions to the Washington Farewell Address?
7. How did these debates contribute to the knowledge of this issue in our country?
8. What was the main difference between the Jefferson/Adams friendship and the Jefferson/Madison friendship?
9. How did the individual states handle these issues when the Federal Government remained silent on the subject of slavery? Give examples.
10. Why did Adams suggest that the President be referred to as "His Majesty"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the main disadvantages of delaying the decision about slavery to 1808, mandated by the Constitution? What were the advantages? In your opinion, what should the Constitution have done about the issue?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe public opinion changed so radically regarding duels after the death of Alexander Hamilton? Do you think the American Republic was ashamed to be caught dealing with their problems in the same manner as the Europeans they had rebelled against?
Essay Topic 3
What do you believe the team of Adams and Jefferson could have accomplished had they been on the same side politically during Adams' presidency? Do you believe the method of using the two top vote winners to create a President and Vice President would work in today's political climate? Why or why not?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)