|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the federal budget of 1790?
2. When did George Washington die?
3. Who was the second Vice President?
4. How many new slaves were in the USA between the time of the Declaration of Independence and the census of 1790?
5. What office did John Adams have in George Washington's Presidency?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Adams suggest that the President be referred to as "His Majesty"?
2. How did George Washington behave with regard to slavery?
3. How did Benjamin Franklin contribute to the debates over slavery?
4. How did these debates contribute to the knowledge of this issue in our country?
5. How did James Madison, statesman from Virginia, treat the subject of slavery?
6. Why was Washington's retirement from public office so important to history?
7. Describe Washington physically as well as the legend surrounding him.
8. Describe the change in Jefferson's attitude towards Washington that began with the Whiskey Rebellion.
9. Why did Adams make an ineffective Vice President to Washington?
10. What role did Madison and Hamilton play in their contributions to the Washington Farewell Address?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the quote of John Adams that he and Jefferson had much to explain to each other before they died. What did they need to discuss? How did this discussion through the lengthy correspondence affect history?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main disadvantages of delaying the decision about slavery to 1808, mandated by the Constitution? What were the advantages? In your opinion, what should the Constitution have done about the issue?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe public opinion changed so radically regarding duels after the death of Alexander Hamilton? Do you think the American Republic was ashamed to be caught dealing with their problems in the same manner as the Europeans they had rebelled against?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)