|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state was Jefferson from?
2. What was Aaron Burr's official title in the USA government?
3. According to the author, why did Burr go to the duel?
4. An affair of honor should involve only what type of charges?
5. In Jefferson's opinion, how long should the laws of this generation stay in effect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think such prominent men chose a duel to resolve their differences? Did it work?
2. What were some of Hamilton's claims against Burr? Describe in detail, and give instances where Hamilton speaks against Burr?
3. Describe the reputations of Burr and Hamilton. What personality traits led them to end up in a duel?
4. Why does the author feel comfortable calling the encounter between the two men "The Duel" without fear his readers will not know to which duel he is referring?
5. Describe the leading locations for the new capital city.
6. Describe this generation of men such as John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.
7. What was the importance of the 1800 Presidential election?
8. What is different about the generation of leaders and their methods of communicating and the present day methods?
9. Why was it so important that Hamilton and Madison meet away from the public eye?
10. Why do you think the author named the Preface "The Generation"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe public opinion changed so radically regarding duels after the death of Alexander Hamilton? Do you think the American Republic was ashamed to be caught dealing with their problems in the same manner as the Europeans they had rebelled against?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the marriage and partnership between Abigail and John Adams. Are there any historic comparisons, i.e., Bill and Hillary Clinton or Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt? In your opinion, should a man of such power depend on the input of his wife for decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the author spent the majority of the book discussing the friendship, correspondence and actions of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson? What contributions do you think the author valued the most from these two men?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)