|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Hamilton's new country house?
2. According to the author, what action would have ended the move for American Independence?
3. Before the duel, how many years did the two men, Hamilton and Burr, have animosity between them?
4. What, in the author's opinion, is the main mystery about the duel?
5. Where was Hamilton struck by the bullet in the duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Alexander Hamilton and how he reacted when someone did not agree with his opinions.
2. Describe Aaron Burr's appearance and reputation.
3. Why does the author feel comfortable calling the encounter between the two men "The Duel" without fear his readers will not know to which duel he is referring?
4. Why do you think Jefferson was the ideal moderator for this discussion?
5. Why was it so important that Hamilton and Madison meet away from the public eye?
6. What was the importance of the 1800 Presidential election?
7. Describe Alexander Hamilton's appearance and reputation.
8. Describe Thomas Jefferson's style of diplomacy.
9. Why do you think the author named the Preface "The Generation"?
10. Describe the reputations of Burr and Hamilton. What personality traits led them to end up in a duel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is the greatest lesson to be derived from this work? Did the book change your understanding of the time following the Revolutionary War and its importance to the way America has evolved? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
John Adams believed his role in history would be forgotten, even though he was the second man to serve as President. What factors contributed to this belief?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe public opinion changed so radically regarding duels after the death of Alexander Hamilton? Do you think the American Republic was ashamed to be caught dealing with their problems in the same manner as the Europeans they had rebelled against?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)