|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John Adams ask his wife to save for history?
2. What country did America look to for guidance on how to create their new republic?
3. When did Hamilton die?
4. How many total shots were fired at the duel?
5. How old was James Madison at the time of this dinner meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of Hamilton's claims against Burr? Describe in detail, and give instances where Hamilton speaks against Burr?
2. Why was Madison so opposed to Hamilton's suggestion that the debts of the states be assumed by the federal government?
3. Describe Thomas Jefferson's style of diplomacy.
4. Describe this generation of men such as John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.
5. Describe the reputations of Burr and Hamilton. What personality traits led them to end up in a duel?
6. Why do you think such prominent men chose a duel to resolve their differences? Did it work?
7. Why was Virginia so important to the decisions of this time?
8. Describe the leading locations for the new capital city.
9. Describe Alexander Hamilton's appearance and reputation.
10. Describe what is known about the duel between Burr and Hamilton
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the American Republic's new leaders did not retaliate violently towards its citizens who had been British sympathizers during the war? What does the author mean when he refers to revolutionary victors "devouring their young"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the quote of John Adams that he and Jefferson had much to explain to each other before they died. What did they need to discuss? How did this discussion through the lengthy correspondence affect history?
Essay Topic 3
What was the main disadvantages of delaying the decision about slavery to 1808, mandated by the Constitution? What were the advantages? In your opinion, what should the Constitution have done about the issue?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)