|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Jefferson replace as the US ambassador to France?
2. What was the name of Hamilton's new country house?
3. Where was Alexander Hamilton born?
4. How many people lived in the United States of America at its beginning?
5. What did John Adams ask his wife to save for history?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the land now known as the District of Columbia a good place to locate the capital city of the new government?
2. Why did the duel between Burr and Hamilton effectively put a stop to dueling being accepted as a proper form of resolving arguments in the American Republic?
3. Why was it so important that Hamilton and Madison meet away from the public eye?
4. Why would John Adams think that his correspondence would be of interest to future generations?
5. Describe what is known about the duel between Burr and Hamilton
6. What does the author mean when he says the American Revolution did not "devour its own children"?
7. Why was Madison so opposed to Hamilton's suggestion that the debts of the states be assumed by the federal government?
8. Discuss Alexander Hamilton and how he reacted when someone did not agree with his opinions.
9. Why do you think such prominent men chose a duel to resolve their differences? Did it work?
10. Describe Alexander Hamilton's appearance and reputation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the Constitutional Convention avoided the subject of slavery while forming the new republic? List the advantages and disadvantages of deferring this vital issue to a future generation. What were some of the results of this avoidance? How do you feel US history would have been changed if this issue had been resolved 1) to allow and encourage slavery and 2) to outlaw slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Take the following scenarios and extrapolate possible outcomes in history: 1) Burr dies in the duel instead of Hamilton, 2) Jefferson stays in Paris for ten more years, 3) Adams and Jefferson do not renew their friendship.
Essay Topic 3
What was the main disadvantages of delaying the decision about slavery to 1808, mandated by the Constitution? What were the advantages? In your opinion, what should the Constitution have done about the issue?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)