|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John Adams ask his wife to save for history?
2. In what state did the duel occur?
3. Who was Burr's second in the duel?
4. How old was James Madison at the time of this dinner meeting?
5. At whose home was the dinner held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What roles did the seconds (Pendleton and Van Ness) have in the days before the duel? Describe how each one played out these roles, and how they handled their roles after the duel.
2. Why was this time--the decades immediately following America's independence from England--so vital?
3. Why was it so important that Hamilton and Madison meet away from the public eye?
4. Why did the duel between Burr and Hamilton effectively put a stop to dueling being accepted as a proper form of resolving arguments in the American Republic?
5. Discuss Alexander Hamilton and how he reacted when someone did not agree with his opinions.
6. Why do you think Jefferson was the ideal moderator for this discussion?
7. Describe this generation of men such as John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.
8. What is different about the generation of leaders and their methods of communicating and the present day methods?
9. Describe what is known about the duel between Burr and Hamilton
10. Describe Alexander Hamilton's appearance and reputation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the American Republic's new leaders did not retaliate violently towards its citizens who had been British sympathizers during the war? What does the author mean when he refers to revolutionary victors "devouring their young"?
Essay Topic 2
John Adams believed his role in history would be forgotten, even though he was the second man to serve as President. What factors contributed to this belief?
Essay Topic 3
Describe George Washington. What contributed to his legendary character, and what traits did he have that made him the perfect man to lead our young nation?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)