|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Jefferson's opinion, how long should the laws of this generation stay in effect?
2. What was the name of the report Hamilton wrote that started the need for this compromise?
3. According to the author, why did Burr go to the duel?
4. Before the duel, how many years did the two men, Hamilton and Burr, have animosity between them?
5. According to the author, what event brought the longstanding rivalry between Burr and Hamilton to a head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the new Americans so sensitive to being compared to British citizens?
2. Why was this time--the decades immediately following America's independence from England--so vital?
3. Discuss Alexander Hamilton and how he reacted when someone did not agree with his opinions.
4. What were some of Hamilton's claims against Burr? Describe in detail, and give instances where Hamilton speaks against Burr?
5. Describe Alexander Hamilton's appearance and reputation.
6. Describe what is known about the duel between Burr and Hamilton
7. What does the author mean when he says the American Revolution did not "devour its own children"?
8. Why was it so important that Hamilton and Madison meet away from the public eye?
9. Why do you think such prominent men chose a duel to resolve their differences? Did it work?
10. What, in your opinion, were the greatest assets of the new republic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Thomas Jefferson's view of government. Did his view hinder the growth of the country or enhance it?
Essay Topic 2
Compare John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. Include their family background, their economic state, their vision of democracy and work habits. Which was the stronger politician, and which was the stronger statesman, in your opinion? What made them a great team?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Catiline, and how did Aaron Burr deserve (or fail to deserve) Hamilton's accusation that Burr was the Catiline of America?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)