|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Hamilton struck by the bullet in the duel?
2. What do some historians call the politics and events of the 1790s in America?
3. What state was Jefferson from?
4. What country is the oldest enduring republic in world history?
5. Burr was blocked by Hamilton in his quest to be come the American minister to what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the new Americans so sensitive to being compared to British citizens?
2. What were some of Hamilton's claims against Burr? Describe in detail, and give instances where Hamilton speaks against Burr?
3. Describe Thomas Jefferson's style of diplomacy.
4. Why do you think such prominent men chose a duel to resolve their differences? Did it work?
5. Describe Alexander Hamilton's appearance and reputation.
6. How does the author differ from Lincoln's statement that America was founded on a proposition written by Jefferson in 1776?
7. Discuss Alexander Hamilton and how he reacted when someone did not agree with his opinions.
8. Why do you think the author named the Preface "The Generation"?
9. Why was Madison so opposed to Hamilton's suggestion that the debts of the states be assumed by the federal government?
10. Describe this generation of men such as John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the Constitutional Convention avoided the subject of slavery while forming the new republic? List the advantages and disadvantages of deferring this vital issue to a future generation. What were some of the results of this avoidance? How do you feel US history would have been changed if this issue had been resolved 1) to allow and encourage slavery and 2) to outlaw slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe George Washington. What contributed to his legendary character, and what traits did he have that made him the perfect man to lead our young nation?
Essay Topic 3
What would have happened, in your opinion, if Washington had died in office rather than step down voluntarily. Would the democratic process taken over, and if so, would the Americans have chosen another man for another twenty year term?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)