|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue was discussed by the Constitutional Congress but specifically excluded from the final documents?
2. Who makes history?
3. At the time of the American Revolution, who else occupied North America besides the colonists?
4. According to the author, what action would have ended the move for American Independence?
5. What state was Jefferson from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aaron Burr's appearance and reputation.
2. Why do historians refer to this time in the course of American history as The Age of Passion?
3. Discuss Alexander Hamilton and how he reacted when someone did not agree with his opinions.
4. Describe this generation of men such as John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.
5. What roles did the seconds (Pendleton and Van Ness) have in the days before the duel? Describe how each one played out these roles, and how they handled their roles after the duel.
6. What, in your opinion, were the greatest assets of the new republic?
7. What was the importance of the 1800 Presidential election?
8. Why do you think the author named the Preface "The Generation"?
9. What does the author mean when he says the American Revolution did not "devour its own children"?
10. Why would John Adams think that his correspondence would be of interest to future generations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you believe is the greatest lesson to be derived from this work? Did the book change your understanding of the time following the Revolutionary War and its importance to the way America has evolved? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the Constitutional Convention avoided the subject of slavery while forming the new republic? List the advantages and disadvantages of deferring this vital issue to a future generation. What were some of the results of this avoidance? How do you feel US history would have been changed if this issue had been resolved 1) to allow and encourage slavery and 2) to outlaw slavery?
Essay Topic 3
What was the main disadvantages of delaying the decision about slavery to 1808, mandated by the Constitution? What were the advantages? In your opinion, what should the Constitution have done about the issue?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)