|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a hair-trigger?
(a) The result of a weapon being left outdoors overnight.
(b) Part of the gun that has been used to comb a man's hair.
(c) A device on a gun that allows a much smaller amount of pressure to pull the trigger.
(d) A method of pulling the trigger on a weapon.
2. What did John Adams see as the paradox facing the new republic?
(a) The new title of the republic versus its goals.
(b) Tories versus Whigs.
(c) Legislating for 20 or 30 states, when all of the known legislative history had been for just one state.
(d) The needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few.
3. What form of government was initiated by the American Revolution?
(a) Marxist and socialist.
(c) Representative government based popular sovreignty and some form of market economy fueled by the energies of individual citizens.
(d) Feudal system governed by kings, queens and lords.
4. What does the author consider the years of 1787-1788 for America?
(a) The war between the states.
(b) The revolutionary war.
(c) The golden years.
(d) The founding movement that established American nationhood.
5. Before the duel, how many years did the two men, Hamilton and Burr, have animosity between them?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) Two Years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) One year.
6. Who did Madison feel would be exploited and cheated as a result of Hamilton's plan?
(a) Revolutionary War veterans.
(b) Wives and families of ex-presidents.
(d) Civil War veterans.
7. What was the date of the duel between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton?
(a) July 11, 1804.
(b) January 20, 1804.
(c) October 29, 1851.
(d) July 4, 1776.
8. What was the main item on the agenda for the dinner?
(a) What color to paint the presidential residence.
(b) Hamilton's upcoming duel with Aaron Burr.
(c) Hamilton's financial plan for the new government.
(d) Rumors about Dolly Madison.
9. In what city did this dinner take place?
(a) New York City.
(b) Atlanta, GA.
(c) Seattle, WA.
(d) Boston, MA.
10. On the subject of Hamilton's financial proposal, what was the main issue?
(a) Agrarian versus commercial sources of wealth.
(b) Gold versus Silver.
(c) Abolition versus Slavery.
(d) Black versus White.
11. Who were some of Hamilton's better known political enemies?
(a) Madison and Van Ness.
(b) Jefferson and Adams.
(c) Bush and Gore.
(d) Washington and Lafayette.
12. At the time of the American Revolution, what was the most powerful military force in the world?
(a) British army and navy.
(b) Chinese Red Guard.
(c) Spanish Armada.
13. What do some historians call the politics and events of the 1790s in America?
(a) The Bronze Age.
(b) The Ice Age.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The Age of Passion.
14. In what state did the duel occur?
(a) New Jersey.
(c) New York.
15. What danger awaited the main participants in the American Revolution?
(a) Severe damage to their credit.
(b) Substantial fines.
(d) Three years in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is considered to be the main asset the new republic possessed?
2. What caliber were the dueling pistols?
3. What was Aaron Burr's official title in the USA government?
4. What rank in the military did Aaron Burr attain during the American Revolution?
5. What term has changed in meaning from an inferior being to one of respect and might in the world?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)