|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gendibal plead with Trevize should support in Chapter 19?
2. Who is contacted by Gendibal on Trantor in Chapter 18?
3. Who is trapped under alien control in Chapter 16?
4. When a creature on Gaia dies, where does the body go?
5. How is the person reporting on Trevize supposed to send information in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Gendibal's growing attachment for Novi.
2. Describe Branno and Gendibal's resolutions in Chapter 20.
3. How does Novi take control of the mission in Chapter 19?
4. Describe the relationship of humans and robots told by Dom in Chapter 17.
5. What is important about planets and their smell?
6. Why does Gaia probably not exist outside of legend according to Thoobing?
7. What is the significance of the Day of Flight?
8. Describe what happens to the main characters at the end of the novel.
9. Describe Pelorat and Bliss' relationship.
10. Why is Pelorat concerned in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asimov employs bold and and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Intuition has particular significance in Foundation's Edge. What is the significance of having intuition in the story? Who chases after intuition? Who has intuition? Who loses intuition? Who gains intuition? What does Asimov ultimately say about intuition through the characters of Trevize and Branno and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for Foundation's Edge. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in Foundation's Edge?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)