|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hari Seldon's tomb look like?
2. What degree does Gaal have?
3. How many more years at the beginning of the Encyclopedists until the first volume of the Encyclopedia Foundation Number One will be published?
4. The population of Trantor is in excess of what number?
5. What doesn't Pirenne want a big issue to be made about during the anniversary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the image of Hari Seldon tell the board on Terminus is the path of the future?
2. How does Asimov describe Gaal Dornick?
3. What is Lord Dorwin's purpose for visiting Terminus?
4. What does Seldon mean when he tells the Emperor that if they execute him, the end of the Empire will come in 50 years, not 300?
5. What happens on the 50th anniversary of Terminus?
6. What does Gaal see from the observation tower of the Luxor hotel?
7. What sort of things does the commission question Gaal about when he is first put into detention?
8. What does the treaty between Anacreon and the Empire mean for Terminus?
9. What unsettling experience does Gaal have as he travels up to the observation tower in Trantor?
10. What does the image of Hari Seldon tell the board was the true purpose of the Encyclopedia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the connection between consumerism and individuality made by the merchant princes? What is the broader theme in that chapter?
Essay Topic 2
How did Asimov use Salvor Hardin's motto, "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" to form a new nation?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Seldon Crisis? How are they solved? What are the thematic purposes of the crisis in the novel?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)