|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Seldon and Gaal offered as they meet with the commission at the close of the trial?
2. How does Gaal describe Trantor to Hari Seldon?
3. What does Anacreon give to Terminus?
4. The period of time after the Empire could have lasted how many years, according to Seldon?
5. The audience during the trial is made up of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fara point out to Hardin about psychology?
2. What does Hardin tell Pirenne is Terminus' interest beyond the Encyclopedia?
3. Why is Hardin concerned that Anacreon has crowned a king?
4. What does Seldon mean when he tells the Emperor that if they execute him, the end of the Empire will come in 50 years, not 300?
5. What unsettling experience does Gaal have as he travels up to the observation tower in Trantor?
6. What is Seldon's punishment from the Emperor?
7. What happens on the 50th anniversary of Terminus?
8. What does the treaty between Anacreon and the Empire mean for Terminus?
9. What sort of things does the commission question Gaal about when he is first put into detention?
10. What is the solution to the dilemma faced by Terminus at the fifty year point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Asimov uses tone to change and enhance the pace of the narrative path of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structure of the novel in terms of narrative flow, plot lines, character development and climactic action.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the showdown between Wienis and Hardin in terms of themes and plot. What does Hardin achieve through the manipulation of the masses?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)