|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the envoy from Anacreon?
2. What does Gaal's lawyer use to block the commission from listening in on their conversation?
3. The Fall of the Galactic Empire is what?
4. What does Seldon tell Gaal is the probability that he will be executed?
5. The audience during the trial is made up of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hari Seldon calculate that a disaster will befall the Empire in 300 years?
2. What are Hardin and Lee's plans for Terminus?
3. What does Hardin's analysis of the conversations he secretly taped with Lord Dorwin show?
4. What is Gaal shocked to learn at the end of the first chapter?
5. What unsettling experience does Gaal have as he travels up to the observation tower in Trantor?
6. What does Seldon mean when he tells the Emperor that if they execute him, the end of the Empire will come in 50 years, not 300?
7. What is the solution to the dilemma faced by Terminus at the fifty year point?
8. What happens on the 50th anniversary of Terminus?
9. What does Hardin tell Pirenne is Terminus' interest beyond the Encyclopedia?
10. What sort of things does the commission question Gaal about when he is first put into detention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the political evolution from psychohistorians to merchant princes. What are the implications and consequences of a politicized society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the trial at the end of the novel in terms of how far the Foundation has come in the course of the story. How does this chapter compare to the trial in the first chapter?
Essay Topic 3
What makes Foundation a preeminent work of science fiction with lasting impact?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)