|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hardin study briefly?
2. Seldon tells Gaal that the man he met at the tower was from what?
3. How many members are there on the Foundation's Board of Trustees?
4. What will open on Terminus' 50th anniversary?
5. Where is Gaal Dornick from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Gaal's lawyer give him for not being able to have a hearing with the Emperor?
2. What happens on the 50th anniversary of Terminus?
3. How does Hari Seldon calculate that a disaster will befall the Empire in 300 years?
4. What does the image of Hari Seldon tell the board was the true purpose of the Encyclopedia?
5. What sort of things does the commission question Gaal about when he is first put into detention?
6. What does Seldon tell the commission when they ask him if there is any way to change the outcome of his prediction?
7. What is Lord Dorwin's purpose for visiting Terminus?
8. What does the treaty between Anacreon and the Empire mean for Terminus?
9. How does Asimov describe Gaal Dornick?
10. What is the solution to the dilemma faced by Terminus at the fifty year point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Salvor Hardin in the novel and compare him to the other main characters of Seldon, Ponyets and Mallow. What did each man have in common? What were their striking differences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss psychohistory for both its importance to the plot and its broader thematic implications.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Asimov uses tone to change and enhance the pace of the narrative path of the story.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)