|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trevize hope to find on the next planet, even if there is no life?
2. Who does Fallom hope to revive?
3. How does Bliss kill Bander?
4. Why does Pelorat suggest ending the mission?
5. What does Trevize discover about the planet they are seeking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Hiroko give for having sex with Trevize?
2. What makes the rays of the sun deadly on Melpomenia?
3. What is Trevize's reasoning for continuing to search for information about Earth, now that he's found the planet and sees that it's radioactive?
4. What reason does Pelorat think Bliss has for taking Fallom with them?
5. Why was Bliss able to successfully overpower Bander?
6. Describe the meals on New Earth.
7. How does Trevize feel about Fallom?
8. What does Trevize wish he could do when he finds the Earth is radioactive?
9. Where does Bander get power?
10. Describe Trevize and Pelorat's important discovery on Melpomenia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By letting cultures develop unplanned, they are developing by chance. When mankind steps in, for instance through genetic engineering, the changes are purposeful.
1) Does purposeful change and adaptation have better results than planned change and adaptation in the novel?
2) Is it possible to predict the results of planned changes, or is there always an element of chance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of the novel.
1) What aspects of the novel make it science fiction? What science is important to the novel?
2) What aspects of the mystery genre does this novel have? What is the mystery at the heart of the novel?
3) In what ways does Trevize act as a detective? What is the "twist" at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Travize's character in the novel.
1) Why is Travize driven to find Earth, despite information that Earth is radioactive or even mythical?
2) Is Travize reasonable and logical, or is he emotional and illogical? Is he both? When and why?
3) How does Travize treat other people? Is he overly manipulative? Does he recognize other people's points of view?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)