|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Trevize think the secret of Earth is?
2. Why does Trevize tell Bliss that she is responsible for the child?
3. What is the first building Trevize and Pelorat find on the planet?
4. What does Trevize call Beta?
5. How does Trevize know Bander is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects of the environment on New Earth affect the people's culture?
2. What reasons does Hiroko give for having sex with Trevize?
3. Describe the meals on New Earth.
4. What does Trevize wish he could do when he finds the Earth is radioactive?
5. What reason does Pelorat think Bliss has for taking Fallom with them?
6. Where does Bander get power?
7. Why does Trevize think Bander explains about Solaria to the travelers?
8. What makes the rays of the sun deadly on Melpomenia?
9. Why is Fallom uncomfortable on the island of New Earth?
10. How does Trevize feel about Fallom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The societies depicted in Foundation and Earth adapt to their environments and also adapt their environments to their own needs.
1) Compare in what ways do the planets Trevize visits adapt to their environments, and in what ways they adapt the environments to their own needs.
2) Is it better in the novel to adapt to an environment or to try to change the environment? Are both necessary?
3) Is it dangerous to try to change one's environment? Can it be dangerous to try to adapt to an environment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss predestination and choice in the novel.
1) Are characters' choices predestined by their psychology and environment?
2) The characters are unaware that they are being manipulated by Daneel. Do they still have choice or is free will an illusion?
3) In the novel, is the course of society as a whole predestined by the nature of man and his environment? In what ways is the course of society predestined or uncertain?
Essay Topic 3
Psychohistory is the idea that the course of human events can be plotted and predicted, at least on a macro-scale, as long as the society doesn't know (and therefore isn't affected by) the predictions. Discuss the role of psychohistory in the novel. How is Daneel utilizing a form of psychohistory? Is it dangerous for human beings to know and try to manipulate their own destinies? Is it possible for psychohistory to give human beings too much knowledge, or is more knowledge always better?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)