|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are most of the men of the island?
2. What does Trevize accidentally break off the statue?
3. Whose theory do the travelers use to try to plot Earth's location?
4. What does Trevize discover about the planet they are seeking?
5. How was the island on Alpha formed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the rays of the sun deadly on Melpomenia?
2. Why does Trevize think Bander explains about Solaria to the travelers?
3. What reasons does Hiroko give for having sex with Trevize?
4. What reason does Pelorat think Bliss has for taking Fallom with them?
5. Describe how the travelers plan to find Earth using the locations of the fifty originally colonized worlds.
6. Describe the meals on New Earth.
7. Describe Trevize and Pelorat's important discovery on Melpomenia.
8. What is Trevize's reasoning for continuing to search for information about Earth, now that he's found the planet and sees that it's radioactive?
9. How does Trevize feel about Solaria?
10. What does Pelorat promise Fallom if Fallom will lead the travelers out of Bander's estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss power in the novel.
1) What gives Bliss power? Is she more powerful than Travize?
2) What kind of power does Travize have in the novel? How do other characters exert power over him?
3) What are Daneel's powers in the novel? Does Daneel have an excess of power?
Essay Topic 2
The novel depicts humanity in many different forms, and in the end of the novel, Fallom merges with Daneel, becoming a partial robot and partial human. Discuss what it means to be human in the novel.
1) In what ways are the different humans from different cultures depicted in the novel the same? Are their similarities more significant than their differences?
2) Why do different human cultures view each other separately and not as part of the same humanity?
3) Is Fallom still human when he merges with Daneel? Is Daneel, in some ways, human?
4) Through adaptation and genetic engineering, is it possible for a human race to change so much that they are no longer "human"? What does it mean to be human?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the three types of conflict in the novels.
1) How does the novel show the conflict between man and nature? How is adaptation and control of the environment part of that conflict?
2) How does the novel show the conflict between man and man? How is competition between different cultures part of that conflict?
3) How does the novel show the conflict between man and himself? Discuss the conflicts felt by major characters including Trevize, Fallom, and Daneel.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)