|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Trevize and Pelorat use to kill the growth?
2. How does Hiroko dress?
3. Why does Bliss disable the guard robots?
4. What does Trevize say about Fallom's intelligence?
5. Who comes up with a theory on the location of Earth, based on the locations of the fifty Spacer worlds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meals on New Earth.
2. What does Trevize wish he could do when he finds the Earth is radioactive?
3. Describe Trevize and Pelorat's important discovery on Melpomenia.
4. Why can't Fallom accompany the travelers onto the planet?
5. Describe how the travelers plan to find Earth using the locations of the fifty originally colonized worlds.
6. What reason does Pelorat think Bliss has for taking Fallom with them?
7. Why is Bliss annoyed with Trevize for setting off the computer's alarm?
8. What criticism does Trevize have of the Solarian society?
9. Where does Bander get power?
10. Why was Bliss able to successfully overpower Bander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, various means of manipulation are used by the characters to get what they want.
1) Discuss Trevize's use of lies, bullying, and bribery to get what he wants. Are his actions justifiable? Why does Trevize use these means?
2) Discuss the use of sex as a tool of manipulation. Are characters justified in playing on each other's emotional responses?
3) Discuss Daneel's manipulation of the human race. Is it justified, according to the Laws of Robotics?
4) Discuss Bliss's ability to manipulate minds. Why does she set limits on when and how she will use her abilities?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss predestination and choice in the novel.
1) Are characters' choices predestined by their psychology and environment?
2) The characters are unaware that they are being manipulated by Daneel. Do they still have choice or is free will an illusion?
3) In the novel, is the course of society as a whole predestined by the nature of man and his environment? In what ways is the course of society predestined or uncertain?
Essay Topic 3
The novel depicts humanity in many different forms, and in the end of the novel, Fallom merges with Daneel, becoming a partial robot and partial human. Discuss what it means to be human in the novel.
1) In what ways are the different humans from different cultures depicted in the novel the same? Are their similarities more significant than their differences?
2) Why do different human cultures view each other separately and not as part of the same humanity?
3) Is Fallom still human when he merges with Daneel? Is Daneel, in some ways, human?
4) Through adaptation and genetic engineering, is it possible for a human race to change so much that they are no longer "human"? What does it mean to be human?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)