|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal approaches Trevize?
2. What is Bliss's reaction to Trevize arming himself to disembark on the second unknown planet?
3. The weather is a part of ________________________.
4. What support does Pelorat have for his idea?
5. Why does Bliss need more sleep than usual?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who picks up the three travelers when they land on Comporellon?
2. How long has it been since there has been war in the galaxy?
3. What does Trevize want to prove during his sexual encounter with the government minister?
4. What kinds of plants and animals did the early space travelers introduce onto Aurora?
5. What does Trevize hope to find in the ruins?
6. Who do the people on Comporellon believe caused the downfall of Earth?
7. What does the choice of clothing of people on Comporellon show about human nature?
8. Why isn't the government interested in capturing Trevize?
9. Why does Trevize question the reason for a large crowd watching the spaceship take off?
10. Does Lizalor show respect for the law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss information in the novel.
1) How is information used to manipulate people in the novel? Why is information about Earth hidden?
2) What are the benefits to Gaia of sharing information across multiple minds?
3) Is it possible to have too much information? Does information always give more power?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss predestination and choice in the novel.
1) Are characters' choices predestined by their psychology and environment?
2) The characters are unaware that they are being manipulated by Daneel. Do they still have choice or is free will an illusion?
3) In the novel, is the course of society as a whole predestined by the nature of man and his environment? In what ways is the course of society predestined or uncertain?
Essay Topic 3
By letting cultures develop unplanned, they are developing by chance. When mankind steps in, for instance through genetic engineering, the changes are purposeful.
1) Does purposeful change and adaptation have better results than planned change and adaptation in the novel?
2) Is it possible to predict the results of planned changes, or is there always an element of chance?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)