|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal approaches Trevize?
2. Why does the minister have to be discreet about sex?
3. Trevize's information about Earth comes mostly from what source?
4. What type of planet is Trevize searching for?
5. Who does the minister send Trevize to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why isn't the government interested in capturing Trevize?
2. What is Trevize's initial objection to his friend accompanying him on his search?
3. Who do the people on Comporellon believe caused the downfall of Earth?
4. Does Lizalor show respect for the law?
5. What conditions does Bliss suggest might have caused the eco-system of Aurora to break down?
6. What are Earth and its system known as?
7. What game does Pelorat tell Trevize about?
8. Why does Bliss think marriage is unnecessary for Gaians?
9. What does Trevize hope to find in the ruins?
10. What does Lizalor do when she hears the word "Earth"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Daneel to a deity. Daneel is a powerful, mind-controlling robot who has existed for 20,000 years, operating behind the scenes to try to protect and help mankind.
1) In what ways is Daneel god-like? In what ways is Daneel's garden beneath the surface of the moon like a heaven?
2) What limits or checks are there on Daneel's power? Is Daneel too powerful?
3) Has Daneel succeeded in completely manipulating Trevize? Why does Trevize feel a sense of joy when the ship is taken over for him as he approaches Daneel and the end of his journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the power of the individual versus the power of the group in the novel.
1) Is Daneel more powerful than Gaia because he is a truly single entity, not a group consciousness?
2) What advantages does Trevize's individuality give him over groups? What disadvantages does he have as a single individual?
3) What are the disadvantages of governments and ruling groups in the novel? What are their advantages?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss information in the novel.
1) How is information used to manipulate people in the novel? Why is information about Earth hidden?
2) What are the benefits to Gaia of sharing information across multiple minds?
3) Is it possible to have too much information? Does information always give more power?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)