|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the entry official's name?
2. What does Trevize think happened to the missing records?
3. How did Yariff think he could find Earth?
4. What happened to the first settlers, according to Deniador?
5. What does Trevize want to search for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Trevize question the reason for a large crowd watching the spaceship take off?
2. Why does Pelorat want to stay on Aurora?
3. What caused Yariff's project to find Earth to fail?
4. At the beginning of the novel, what former decision does Trevize question?
5. How does Trevize feel when he first steps off his ship onto Aurora?
6. Why is the Far Star important to Comporellon?
7. Why isn't the government interested in capturing Trevize?
8. Why might the showers on Comporellon be colder than showers Trevize is used to?
9. What are some differences between animal life in the galaxy as Trevize knows it and animals on Earth today?
10. What does Lizalor do when she hears the word "Earth"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the three types of conflict in the novels.
1) How does the novel show the conflict between man and nature? How is adaptation and control of the environment part of that conflict?
2) How does the novel show the conflict between man and man? How is competition between different cultures part of that conflict?
3) How does the novel show the conflict between man and himself? Discuss the conflicts felt by major characters including Trevize, Fallom, and Daneel.
Essay Topic 2
The conflict between the individual and society is a central theme of Foundation and Earth. Discuss how the cultures of different planets in the novel deal with this conflict, including Gaia, Solaria, Comporellon, and New Earth.
1) Is it possible to find a healthy, peaceful balance between the rights of the individual and the rights of society?
2) What is lost in the social models of the book as the cultures attempt to resolve the conflict between individuals and society?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, various means of manipulation are used by the characters to get what they want.
1) Discuss Trevize's use of lies, bullying, and bribery to get what he wants. Are his actions justifiable? Why does Trevize use these means?
2) Discuss the use of sex as a tool of manipulation. Are characters justified in playing on each other's emotional responses?
3) Discuss Daneel's manipulation of the human race. Is it justified, according to the Laws of Robotics?
4) Discuss Bliss's ability to manipulate minds. Why does she set limits on when and how she will use her abilities?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)