|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kelly?
2. Where is Casaubon's group at the beginning of Chapter 63?
3. Who demands that Belbo be sacrificed?
4. How does Belbo begin to feel about the Plan after Diotallevi's departure?
5. In Belbo's account, John Dee is overtaken by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Casaubon reinterpret the message of the parchment Ardenti discovered?
2. Why does Casaubon enter randomly chosen lines of text, which have nothing to do with the occult, into the computer?
3. What happens to Belbo after receiving the last piece of the Plan from Salon?
4. Which cloaked individuals does Casaubon recognize?
5. What was the relationship between the Templars and the Jesuits, according to Casaubon's theory?
6. What happens to Diotallevi in Chapter 101?
7. Casaubon believes that John Dee played what role in the disruption of the Templars' line of communication?
8. What is set up by the cloaked individuals in the Conservatoire?
9. What experiment does Casaubon want to conduct with Abulafia?
10. What deduction do Casaubon and his group make about the Pendulum's purpose, in Chapter 99?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's reasons for writing this novel. What can you infer about his views of the occult, based on this novel and the way it is presented? Do you think Casaubon is a character to whom he can relate? Why or why not? In what way do the author's views come out in the novel? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main characters' individual quests for knowledge and truth. How do Casaubon, Belbo and Diotallevi search for their version of the truth? What does each character, respectively, discover? What are the similarities and differences in each character's version of the truth? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Lorenza, and her role as a symbol of knowledge. Why does Aglie call her Sophia? What does that name mean? How does she interact with the other characters, particularly Casaubon? How do her interactions with the other characters reflect their search for knowledge? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)