|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Diotallevi give Belbo and Casaubon before leaving for his treatment regimen?
2. Who does Casaubon think wrote the parchment?
3. What is Aglie's response to the group Casaubon adds to the list?
4. After his initiation, Napoleon attempts to seek out a group of Templars in what country?
5. What does Casaubon want Belbo to use Abulafia for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Belbo reach, regarding Francis Bacon, in the Plan?
2. What was the relationship between the Templars and the Jesuits, according to Casaubon's theory?
3. What happens during the trip Belbo takes with Lorenza?
4. According to Casaubon's theory about the Jesuits, who were the Rosicrucians and the Scottish Rite Freemasons?
5. What was Napoleon's role in the Jesuit-Templar conflict?
6. What is set up by the cloaked individuals in the Conservatoire?
7. What does Belbo say about the believability of the Plan, in Chapter 100?
8. Why does Casaubon include a group not related to the Freemasons when constructing his time line?
9. What happens to Casaubon at the end of the novel?
10. What deduction do Casaubon and his group make about the Pendulum's purpose, in Chapter 99?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Plan begins as a game, but eventually leads to the deaths of all four main characters. How does the Plan transform from a hobby, into a deadly reality? Why does Belbo begin to believe that the Plan is real? What message is the author trying to convey, via the deaths of these four characters? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The Knights Templar are one of the main occult groups presented in the novel. Why is so little known about them? Why are they so central to a variety of beliefs and traditions? Why are scholars so interested in them after so many centuries? What information presented regarding the Templars is fact, and what is speculation? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Lorenza's relationship with Belbo is a complicated one. How does Belbo feel about her, and how does she respond? What effect does their relationship have on Belbo? How is she involved in Belbo's murder? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)