|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many group members are ordered into the room by the leader of the ceremony?
2. Why does Casaubon think the parchment was written?
3. The group led by the Old Man in the Mountain associates itself with what other group?
4. How does Lia feel about the Plan?
5. Belbo and Casaubon interpret the computer's output to mean that Jesus fathered what line of kings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Casaubon at the end of the novel?
2. What is the final piece of information for the Plan, supplied by Salon?
3. What does Aglie tell Casaubon's group about the Freemasons?
4. What is set up by the cloaked individuals in the Conservatoire?
5. What experiment does Casaubon want to conduct with Abulafia?
6. Why does Casaubon include a group not related to the Freemasons when constructing his time line?
7. What does Casaubon do after the night at the Conservatoire?
8. Which cloaked individuals does Casaubon recognize?
9. What conclusion does Belbo reach, regarding Francis Bacon, in the Plan?
10. What do Salon and Casaubon talk about when Casaubon visits Salon in his shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diotallevi tells Belbo they made a mistake in devising the Plan, clearly believing that his own declining health is due to his involvement in it; Belbo is murdered because of it. Have there been other times when the pursuit of occult knowledge has led to someone's downfall? What was the reason for it? Do you think Diotallevi still would have fallen ill and died if it were not for his involvement in the Plan, or is he reading too much into his illness and death, as he and the others did with believing that the fictional Plan was true? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The women in Casaubon's life have a great impact on him, and affect his search for knowledge in various ways. What is Amparo's background, and how does she feel about the occult? What does Casaubon learn from her? What is Lia's outlook on Casaubon's occult activities? What does Casaubon learn from her? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Many different views are expressed in the novel regarding occult knowledge; for example, Bramanti wants to disseminate occult knowledge because of the power inherent in it, whereas Garamond cares only for the profit that can be gained from selling it. Discuss the different views of occult knowledge and mysticism presented in the novel, and reasons for each of those views. Which one do you agree with most, and why? Which one do you think the author would agree with, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)