|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aglie ask Belbo to do for him?
2. How does Lia feel about the Plan?
3. What do the cloaked individuals want from Belbo?
4. What was Diotallevi's reasoning for the advice he gave to Casaubon and Belbo before he left for treatment?
5. Which of these is a conclusion of Belbo's that Casaubon finds important?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Belbo reach, regarding Francis Bacon, in the Plan?
2. Casaubon believes that John Dee played what role in the disruption of the Templars' line of communication?
3. What does Aglie want Belbo to transport for him?
4. What happens to Casaubon at the end of the novel?
5. What does Aglie tell Casaubon's group about the Freemasons?
6. What was Napoleon's role in the Jesuit-Templar conflict?
7. What happens to Belbo, at the end of the novel?
8. Why does Casaubon include a group not related to the Freemasons when constructing his time line?
9. What happens to Belbo after receiving the last piece of the Plan from Salon?
10. According to Casaubon's group, what were some of the Jesuits' accomplishments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the epistemological problem of truth. What is truth? Is it objective or subjective, and why? How does one know the truth when it is found? Why do Casaubon, Diotallevi and Belbo search so long for the truth? What is man's preoccupation with it? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Amparo values reason over spirituality and mysticism, and is so embarrassed by her possession experience that she leaves Casaubon and never returns. Why is she so mortified by this experience? Why does she value reason so highly? What about her culture makes her more inclined toward mysticism, and why does she oppose those impulses? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Diotallevi believes that permutations, and other searches for occult knowledge, should be performed manually, whereas Belbo and Casaubon want to use Abulafia to perform these tasks. What is Diotallevi's reasoning for his preference? How do Belbo and Casaubon respond to him? What is lost when a task is performed by a computer, instead of being performed manually? How does the lack of effort created by this method change the meaning or outcome of the task? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)