|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Belbo when he is driving with Lorenza?
2. Casaubon's group surmises that the purpose of Foucault's pendulum is what?
3. How is Belbo murdered?
4. After his initiation, Napoleon attempts to seek out a group of Templars in what country?
5. How does Lia feel about the Plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Belbo after receiving the last piece of the Plan from Salon?
2. What experiment does Casaubon want to conduct with Abulafia?
3. What does the group of cloaked individuals want with Belbo?
4. What is the final piece of information for the Plan, supplied by Salon?
5. What does Lia try to explain to Casaubon, in Chapter 63?
6. What do Casaubon and Lia talk about while on their family vacation?
7. What was Napoleon's role in the Jesuit-Templar conflict?
8. According to Casaubon's group, what were some of the Jesuits' accomplishments?
9. What does Casaubon do after the night at the Conservatoire?
10. Why does Casaubon enter randomly chosen lines of text, which have nothing to do with the occult, into the computer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amparo values reason over spirituality and mysticism, and is so embarrassed by her possession experience that she leaves Casaubon and never returns. Why is she so mortified by this experience? Why does she value reason so highly? What about her culture makes her more inclined toward mysticism, and why does she oppose those impulses? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Diotallevi believes that permutations, and other searches for occult knowledge, should be performed manually, whereas Belbo and Casaubon want to use Abulafia to perform these tasks. What is Diotallevi's reasoning for his preference? How do Belbo and Casaubon respond to him? What is lost when a task is performed by a computer, instead of being performed manually? How does the lack of effort created by this method change the meaning or outcome of the task? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Lorenza, and her role as a symbol of knowledge. Why does Aglie call her Sophia? What does that name mean? How does she interact with the other characters, particularly Casaubon? How do her interactions with the other characters reflect their search for knowledge? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)