|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Casaubon get in Chapter 37?
2. What is the basic tenet of the idea commonly associated with Agartha?
3. What is The Plan?
4. What was NOT one of the charges brought against the Knights Templar when they were arrested?
5. The Knights Templar began during what time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Rosicrucians so difficult to research, compared to the Knights Templar?
2. What do Casaubon and De Angelis discuss at their second meeting?
3. How did the official end of the Knights Templar occur?
4. How did Casaubon, Belbo and Diotallevi meet?
5. What does Casaubon witness at the ceremonies Aglie invited him and his group to?
6. Who is Casaubon?
7. What is Project Hermes?
8. What happens at the religious ceremony to which Aglie invites Casaubon and Amparo?
9. What do Casaubon and Belbo overhear when they go to visit Aglie?
10. How is Signor Aglie described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the main characters' individual quests for knowledge and truth. How do Casaubon, Belbo and Diotallevi search for their version of the truth? What does each character, respectively, discover? What are the similarities and differences in each character's version of the truth? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The women in Casaubon's life have a great impact on him, and affect his search for knowledge in various ways. What is Amparo's background, and how does she feel about the occult? What does Casaubon learn from her? What is Lia's outlook on Casaubon's occult activities? What does Casaubon learn from her? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Anti-Semitic theories abound in the novel, as well as throughout history. Why are the Jews so commonly presented as villains in religious, historical and occult traditions and stories? How does Casaubon feel about them? What about Diotallevi? What role do they play in the Plan, and why? At what point do the characters' attitudes regarding the Jews' participation in the conspiracy change, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)