|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aglie's response when he is asked why he is so interested in the occult?
2. Who is NOT a participant in the meeting that Casaubon overhears at Aglie's residence?
3. What is The Plan?
4. Why is Mr. Garamond's office connected to Garamond Press by a secret passageway?
5. The owner of the villa allegedly possesses what mysterious items?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Project Hermes?
2. How does Aglie feel about Lorenza?
3. What do Casaubon and Belbo overhear when they go to visit Aglie?
4. What does Aglie tell Casaubon about Agartha?
5. What offer does Casaubon receive from Belbo in Chapter 37?
6. What does Casaubon witness at the ceremonies Aglie invited him and his group to?
7. What are the origins of the religious traditions of Brazil, according to Aglie's discussion with Casaubon and Amparo?
8. What is Aglie's response when Casaubon asks him why he associates himself with so many different occult practices?
9. Why does Casaubon meet with Belbo and Mr. Garamond in Chapter 38?
10. What were the origins of the Knights Templar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss some of the literary devices employed by the author in the novel (flashbacks, foreshadowing, symbolism, etc.) How effective is the author's use of these devices, and why? Where were they used in the novel, and to what end? Do these elements flow naturally within the text, or do they seem forced or poorly transitioned? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The women in Casaubon's life have a great impact on him, and affect his search for knowledge in various ways. What is Amparo's background, and how does she feel about the occult? What does Casaubon learn from her? What is Lia's outlook on Casaubon's occult activities? What does Casaubon learn from her? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Lorenza, and her role as a symbol of knowledge. Why does Aglie call her Sophia? What does that name mean? How does she interact with the other characters, particularly Casaubon? How do her interactions with the other characters reflect their search for knowledge? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)