|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Belbo claims he is being chased by whom?
2. What accusation begins the confrontation at Aglie's house?
3. Why is Amparo so upset after the ritual?
4. On the way to the ritual, Casaubon's group spends the night at which group member's family home?
5. What are the origins of the religious ceremonies that exist where Casaubon is living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Signor Aglie described?
2. How does Aglie feel about Lorenza?
3. What does Belbo tell Casaubon during their phone call two days before the museum rendezvous?
4. Who is Casaubon?
5. How does Casaubon unlock Belbo's computer?
6. What does Aglie tell Casaubon about Agartha?
7. What changed, in Italy, during the time that Casaubon was living in Brazil?
8. How do Belbo and Casaubon become involved with the police, in Chapter 24?
9. Why does Professor Bramanti meet with Mr. Garamond?
10. What do Casaubon and De Angelis discuss at their second meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diotallevi believes that permutations, and other searches for occult knowledge, should be performed manually, whereas Belbo and Casaubon want to use Abulafia to perform these tasks. What is Diotallevi's reasoning for his preference? How do Belbo and Casaubon respond to him? What is lost when a task is performed by a computer, instead of being performed manually? How does the lack of effort created by this method change the meaning or outcome of the task? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the literary devices employed by the author in the novel (flashbacks, foreshadowing, symbolism, etc.) How effective is the author's use of these devices, and why? Where were they used in the novel, and to what end? Do these elements flow naturally within the text, or do they seem forced or poorly transitioned? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Lia suggests that God, Synarchy and many other occult traditions in the novel are really all the same thing. Why does she suggest this? What do all belief systems and traditions have in common? Why does she feel that people need to have something in which to believe? Do you agree with her assessments? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)