|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Casaubon's group leaves to go home before arriving at the ritual?
2. How does Casaubon know Professor Bramanti?
3. What accusation begins the confrontation at Aglie's house?
4. To whom does Aglie compare himself?
5. What was Casaubon's profession when he met Belbo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Professor Bramanti meet with Mr. Garamond?
2. What do Casaubon and Belbo overhear when they go to visit Aglie?
3. What are the origins of the religious traditions of Brazil, according to Aglie's discussion with Casaubon and Amparo?
4. What is Casaubon doing, as the novel opens?
5. What were the origins of the Knights Templar?
6. Why does Casaubon meet with Belbo and Mr. Garamond in Chapter 38?
7. What does Belbo tell Casaubon during their phone call two days before the museum rendezvous?
8. How did the official end of the Knights Templar occur?
9. What is Project Hermes?
10. What is the Plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Casaubon misses out on a lot of time with his wife and child as a result of his occult studies, despite the fact that his wife constantly tries to bring him back to them. Why does he prefer the Plan and other students of the occult to his own family? What is he seeking, that is so important? What sacrifices does he make, during his search for truth, and how do his sacrifices affect his family? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Lia suggests that God, Synarchy and many other occult traditions in the novel are really all the same thing. Why does she suggest this? What do all belief systems and traditions have in common? Why does she feel that people need to have something in which to believe? Do you agree with her assessments? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the literary devices employed by the author in the novel (flashbacks, foreshadowing, symbolism, etc.) How effective is the author's use of these devices, and why? Where were they used in the novel, and to what end? Do these elements flow naturally within the text, or do they seem forced or poorly transitioned? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)