|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Casaubon compares Aglie to whom?
2. On the way to the ritual, Casaubon's group spends the night at which group member's family home?
3. What is the main character looking at, in Chapter 1?
(a) A periscope.
(b) Foucault's pendulum.
(c) The street below.
(d) An old car.
4. How does Casaubon meet Signor Aglie?
(a) Aglie is introduced to Casaubon by a mutual friend.
(b) Aglie is friends with Casaubon's girlfriend.
(c) Aglie is one of Casaubon's professors.
(d) Aglie is a coworker of Casaubon's.
5. Who checked out the book Casaubon was looking for at the library?
(a) De Angelis.
6. Why is Mr. Garamond's office connected to Garamond Press by a secret passageway?
(a) He likes mystery.
(b) He uses the Garamond Press office for meetings with his mistress.
(c) He doesn't want anyone to know he runs Garamond Press.
(d) The building had a secret passageway already built in when he bought it.
7. What happens to Colonel Ardenti in Chapter 24?
(a) He is murdered.
(b) He dies of a heart attack.
(c) He is taken prisoner by a mysterious group.
(d) He is publicly ostracized after the publication of his book, and goes mad.
8. When did Casaubon and Belbo meet?
(a) The 1970s.
(b) The 1960s.
(c) The 1980s.
(d) The 1950s.
9. Who is the narrator of the novel?
10. What job does Casaubon get in Chapter 37?
(a) He gets a job with a local newspaper.
(b) He collects and sells archaeological artifacts and rare documents.
(c) He works at the University, as a professor.
(d) He works for himself, as a freelance researcher.
11. Why is Amparo so upset after the ritual?
(a) She is angry at Aglie for forcing her to attend it.
(b) She was unprepared for it, and now feels overwhelmed.
(c) She feels that her nationality may be more powerful than her rationality.
(d) She felt as if she had been taken advantage of during the ritual.
12. What are the origins of the religious ceremonies that exist where Casaubon is living?
(a) Their origins are largely unknown.
(b) They are peculiar to that area, and show little resemblance to the traditions of other cultures.
(c) They are an eclectic mixture of traditions from other cultures.
(d) They are strictly orthodox Christian traditions.
13. What happened to the political radicals in Milan, while Casaubon was away?
(a) They rioted and were driven out of the city, and now communicate via encoded messages.
(b) Most of them were arrested, and the rest formed an underground society.
(c) They staged a coup, and overthrew the city's government.
(d) They migrated away from politics, and toward psychology and transcendental meditation.
14. What is the name of the other publishing company Mr. Garamond runs?
(b) Conservatoire des Arts et de Metiers.
(c) Press de Italia.
15. Who is Gudrun?
(a) Casaubon's maid.
(b) Diotallevi's wife.
(c) Belbo's girlfriend.
(d) Belbo's secretary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Colonel Ardenti?
2. Why does Casaubon have difficulty researching the group that interests him, in Chapter 27?
3. Why does Casaubon move?
4. The Knights Templar fought to protect the Holy Land from what?
5. What is the subject of the book Belbo wants Casaubon to work on?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)