|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pablo say to Robert Jordan despite the obvious movement of weapons and troops?
2. Robert Jordan reminds PIlar that there will be no attack unless they hear this sound.
3. Maria's father yells out "Viva la Republica" before this event happens.
4. How does Robert Jordan feel when he thinks about Pablo and the explosives?
5. Who appears at the entrance to the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Robert Jordan feel about Anselmo and Agustin now that they are in the center of war?
2. Do the men trust Robert Jordan now, even after the tragic event at Sordos has occurred?
3. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
4. How is Pablo treated when he appears at the entrance to the cave?
5. What happens when Gomez speaks with Andre Marty, the French officer?
6. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
7. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
8. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
9. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
10. What is Robert Jordan's plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Pilar is upset with Pablo for acting cowardly and insecure. She dreams of a former lover, Finito, and how brave he was as a matador. How does Pilar's own reaction toward her husband thwart the mission? How does her coldness toward her husband who does not honor duty, reflect on the morale and actions of the group?
Essay Topic 3
Compare/Contrast: Pablo becomes more and more cowardly as the novel progresses. At one point Robert Jordan thinks he has not drank as much as he claims to have. Discuss Pablo's fatal flaw and how he can be contrasted with Anselmo, who is also afraid, but acts out his duty regardless.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)