|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character does Pilar compare Pablo to based on his actions?
2. Who arrives at the headquarters to ask Andre Marty about the dispatch?
3. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
4. Who were bombed in Segovia by the fascists?
5. At what hotel is Karkov staying at in Madrid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men at the government post not know about what has happened?
2. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
3. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
4. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
5. Does Robert Jordan live? Explain.
6. What does Karkov learn when he arrives at his apartment in the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid?
7. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
8. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
9. What is Robert Jordan's plan?
10. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss salvation. What does it mean to be redeemed? Is redemption something that is bestowed upon you or do you rely on the mercy of others to provide salvation? Use Maria's personal story as your example. Use evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)