|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan feel certain about as he approaches Primivito?
2. How does Robert Jordan feel when he thinks about Pablo and the explosives?
3. What is the name of the lieutenant colonel?
4. What does Pilar think about Robert Jordan's palm and what the gypsy has said?
5. Who does Andres tell the guard he is associated with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gomez make sure Andres speaks to Lieutenant Colonel Miranda?
2. What do the men at the government post not know about what has happened?
3. When Robert Jordan thinks of the bridge now, what does he feel?
4. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
5. What does Karkov learn when he arrives at his apartment in the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid?
6. What does Lieutenant Colonel Miranda tell Gomez to do?
7. Why is Robert Jordan angry with Pilar and himself when he learns Pablo stole the materials for the mission?
8. How does Robert Jordan feel about Anselmo and Agustin now that they are in the center of war?
9. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
10. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Pablo during the train and the attack of the barracks. What sort of man was he? Was he brave, bold, a fighter? How has his character changed over time and why has it changed? How has war obstructed the heart and mind of a strong man such as Pablo? Is Pablo a symbol of the transforming power of war to change men and take from them their courage, and instill them with fear?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss salvation. What does it mean to be redeemed? Is redemption something that is bestowed upon you or do you rely on the mercy of others to provide salvation? Use Maria's personal story as your example. Use evidence from the text.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)