|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karkov do to save time before he drives to the front at two o'clock in the morning?
2. What is Robert Jordan doing when Anselmo finds him?
3. What does the guard threaten to do to Andres when he arrives at the government position?
4. At what hotel is Karkov staying at in Madrid?
5. What does Maria's mother pledge before she is killed by the fascists?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
2. How is Pablo treated when he appears at the entrance to the cave?
3. What do the men at the government post not know about what has happened?
4. What does Lieutenant Colonel Miranda tell Gomez to do?
5. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
6. What is Robert Jordan's plan?
7. What happens when Gomez speaks with Andre Marty, the French officer?
8. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
9. Do the men trust Robert Jordan now, even after the tragic event at Sordos has occurred?
10. What does Andres think about as he walks to Golz, carrying a message from Robert Jordan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
Essay Topic 2
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
Essay Topic 3
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)