|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Golz watch as he receives the dispatch?
2. What does Robert Jordan compare Anselmo and Agustin to?
3. What kind of man does Robert Jordan think his father was?
4. What does Andres see coming down from the mountains?
5. Pilar wakes to tell Robert Jordan that this man is missing.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gomez make sure Andres speaks to Lieutenant Colonel Miranda?
2. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
3. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
4. What do the men at the government post not know about what has happened?
5. What does Robert Jordan wish he could talk to his grandfather about and hopefully receive some advice? What does he realize as a result of his thoughts?
6. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
7. Do the men trust Robert Jordan now, even after the tragic event at Sordos has occurred?
8. When Andres arrives at the government position, what do the guards think of him?
9. How does Robert Jordan feel about Anselmo and Agustin now that they are in the center of war?
10. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pilar is upset with Pablo for acting cowardly and insecure. She dreams of a former lover, Finito, and how brave he was as a matador. How does Pilar's own reaction toward her husband thwart the mission? How does her coldness toward her husband who does not honor duty, reflect on the morale and actions of the group?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the barbarianism that is displayed during the taking of the hilltop at Sordos? Does this type of action define fascism itself or does it define the dark culture of Spain? How so? How does this practice relate to other cultures in times of war? (i.e Native Americans, scalping, etc). Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Robert Jordan thinks of his grandfather in war and how he would seek his advice if he were alive today. In what ways does Jordan admire his grandfather as opposed to his father. Compare and contrast the male role models in Robert Jordan's life with the characters in the novel (El Sordo, Pablo, Karkov, Kashkin, Anselmo). Define what a coward is, define what a brave man is, and discuss how envisioning Robert Jordan's grandfather's bravery in the American Civil War inspired Robert Jordan to want to succeed.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)