|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan compare Anselmo and Agustin to?
2. Who does Andres tell the guard he is associated with?
3. What kind of man does Robert Jordan think his father was?
4. How does Robert Jordan feel when he thinks about Pablo and the explosives?
5. Who does Robert Jordan decide to send to Navacerrada?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Robert Jordan angry with Pilar and himself when he learns Pablo stole the materials for the mission?
2. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
3. When Andres arrives at the government position, what do the guards think of him?
4. Why does Karkov plan to drive to the front in the early morning hours before the offensive?
5. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
6. Does Robert Jordan live? Explain.
7. What does Robert Jordan wish he could talk to his grandfather about and hopefully receive some advice? What does he realize as a result of his thoughts?
8. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
9. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
10. What does Andres daydream about doing once the war is over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan trusts Agustin, who controlled his urge to kill the first four cavalrymen. If he had killed them, what would have happened to the mission? Agustin had the innate desire to kill. Robert Jordan thinks that killing is sacramental to Spaniards. Do you agree? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
Essay Topic 3
Superstition is threaded through the novel. Discuss three events that were embedded with superstition and omens. Were the characters foolish for believing in the omens? Or was there truth in their beliefs? Explain using evidence from the text.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)