|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andres see coming down from the mountains?
2. What does Robert Jordan demand Anselmo do to the bridge, even if Robert Jordan has not finished.
3. As Robert Jordan is walking down to the post to speak to Primivito what does he realize that Golz does not have the power to do?
4. Robert Jordan and Anselmo plan to take out the guards, but if they do not, Agustin is assigned to shoot them through this.
5. Maria's father yells out "Viva la Republica" before this event happens.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
2. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
3. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
4. When Andres arrives at the government position, what do the guards think of him?
5. When Robert Jordan thinks of the bridge now, what does he feel?
6. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
7. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
8. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
9. Does Robert Jordan live? Explain.
10. What does Andres daydream about doing once the war is over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Should Robert Jordan have killed Pablo immediately? What does it say about Robert Jordan's character that he contemplated his decision to kill or not kill Pablo as he watched him care for the horses? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)