|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Robert Jordan's body is broken?
2. Why is Robert Jordan angry with himself when he finds out the explosives are missing?
3. How does Andres respond when Miranda asks about the movement?
4. Who appears at the entrance to the cave?
5. What does Andres think about as he walks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
2. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
3. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
4. What do the men at the government post not know about what has happened?
5. What happens when Gomez speaks with Andre Marty, the French officer?
6. Do the men trust Robert Jordan now, even after the tragic event at Sordos has occurred?
7. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
8. Does Robert Jordan live? Explain.
9. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
10. What does Karkov learn when he arrives at his apartment in the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process of timing as Andre Marty, Karkov, and Duval make their way (or stand in the way) of the dispatch getting into the hands of Golz. In what ways are the men doing their jobs and in what way are they thwarting the mission? Are their characters believable? If the men have gone against the mission, describe their motivations in doing so. Bring in their culture and power to discuss their motivations.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
Essay Topic 3
Should Robert Jordan have killed Pablo immediately? What does it say about Robert Jordan's character that he contemplated his decision to kill or not kill Pablo as he watched him care for the horses? Explain.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)