|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the guard threaten to do to Andres when he arrives at the government position?
2. How does Gomez transport Andres to see the lieutenant colonel?
3. Who first recognizes Pepe and Elicio?
4. What is the name of the commander who listens to and believes Andres' story?
5. What device is Pablo assigned to handle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
2. How is Pablo treated when he appears at the entrance to the cave?
3. Does Robert Jordan live? Explain.
4. What does Andres daydream about doing once the war is over?
5. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
6. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
7. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
8. What happens when Gomez speaks with Andre Marty, the French officer?
9. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
10. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the barbarianism that is displayed during the taking of the hilltop at Sordos? Does this type of action define fascism itself or does it define the dark culture of Spain? How so? How does this practice relate to other cultures in times of war? (i.e Native Americans, scalping, etc). Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Given the knowledge of the history of the Spanish Civil War, do you think that fighting fascism was worth the price paid in human life? How important is it, or necessary, to stop fascism in its tracks. Is it more beneficial to seek an end to fascism with diplomacy?
Essay Topic 3
Superstition is threaded through the novel. Discuss three events that were embedded with superstition and omens. Were the characters foolish for believing in the omens? Or was there truth in their beliefs? Explain using evidence from the text.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)