|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Jordan and Anselmo plan to take out the guards, but if they do not, Agustin is assigned to shoot them through this.
2. What does Robert Jordan give Anselmo as he tells him what he saw on the hill?
3. What is the only weapon Robert Jordan still kept that belonged to his grandfather?
4. Who appears at the entrance to the cave?
5. What kind of man does Robert Jordan think his father was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andres think about as he walks to Golz, carrying a message from Robert Jordan?
2. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
3. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
4. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
5. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
6. What does Robert Jordan wish he could talk to his grandfather about and hopefully receive some advice? What does he realize as a result of his thoughts?
7. Does Robert Jordan live? Explain.
8. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
9. What does Karkov learn when he arrives at his apartment in the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid?
10. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Pablo during the train and the attack of the barracks. What sort of man was he? Was he brave, bold, a fighter? How has his character changed over time and why has it changed? How has war obstructed the heart and mind of a strong man such as Pablo? Is Pablo a symbol of the transforming power of war to change men and take from them their courage, and instill them with fear?
Essay Topic 3
Compare/Contrast: Pablo becomes more and more cowardly as the novel progresses. At one point Robert Jordan thinks he has not drank as much as he claims to have. Discuss Pablo's fatal flaw and how he can be contrasted with Anselmo, who is also afraid, but acts out his duty regardless.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)