|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Pilar think Pablo is showing by trying to stop the bridge?
2. Whose grenades does Robert Jordan decide to use?
3. Who does Marty think Gomez and Andres work for?
4. What part of Robert Jordan's body is broken?
5. Who does Pilar blame when she finds out Pablo took the explosives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
2. Why is Robert Jordan angry with Pilar and himself when he learns Pablo stole the materials for the mission?
3. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
4. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
5. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
6. What does Robert Jordan wish he could talk to his grandfather about and hopefully receive some advice? What does he realize as a result of his thoughts?
7. Why does Karkov plan to drive to the front in the early morning hours before the offensive?
8. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
9. What do the new men mistakenly think Pablo's role is in the mission?
10. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of salvation runs throughout the novel. Give three examples of salvation from the novel and explain how the theme is a major part of the unfolding of the plot.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)