|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan NOT believe in?
2. What is the predominant nature of the Spanish people?
3. What emotion ultimately brings Pablo back to his people?
4. What does Pilar think about Robert Jordan's palm and what the gypsy has said?
5. Who does Pilar blame when she finds out Pablo took the explosives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
2. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
3. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
4. What does Andres think about as he walks to Golz, carrying a message from Robert Jordan?
5. What do the new men mistakenly think Pablo's role is in the mission?
6. How does Robert Jordan feel about Anselmo and Agustin now that they are in the center of war?
7. What does Andres daydream about doing once the war is over?
8. Do the men trust Robert Jordan now, even after the tragic event at Sordos has occurred?
9. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
10. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Pablo during the train and the attack of the barracks. What sort of man was he? Was he brave, bold, a fighter? How has his character changed over time and why has it changed? How has war obstructed the heart and mind of a strong man such as Pablo? Is Pablo a symbol of the transforming power of war to change men and take from them their courage, and instill them with fear?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of salvation runs throughout the novel. Give three examples of salvation from the novel and explain how the theme is a major part of the unfolding of the plot.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)