|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first recognizes Pepe and Elicio?
2. Robert Jordan begins to think that they all will be killed, but what will succeed?
3. Upon explaining her past to Robert Jordan, what does Maria fear the most?
4. What does Robert Jordan compare Anselmo and Agustin to?
5. Who does Pilar blame when she finds out Pablo took the explosives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
2. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
3. How does Robert Jordan feel about Anselmo and Agustin now that they are in the center of war?
4. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
5. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
6. What does Andres daydream about doing once the war is over?
7. When Robert Jordan thinks of the bridge now, what does he feel?
8. How does Gomez make sure Andres speaks to Lieutenant Colonel Miranda?
9. What does Andres think about as he walks to Golz, carrying a message from Robert Jordan?
10. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Andres. Discuss his loyalty to the group during a time of uncertainty. He is racing time trying to get the dispatch to Golz. Discuss this character in terms of his purpose in the story and the suspense he carries with him as makes his way with Miranda's orders to Golz.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
Essay Topic 3
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)