|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan want to speak to his father about now that he has experienced battle?
2. What does Robert Jordan give Anselmo as he tells him what he saw on the hill?
3. Who does Pilar blame when she finds out Pablo took the explosives?
4. At what hotel is Karkov staying at in Madrid?
5. What part of Robert Jordan's body is broken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karkov learn when he arrives at his apartment in the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid?
2. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
3. Why is Robert Jordan angry with Pilar and himself when he learns Pablo stole the materials for the mission?
4. How is Pablo treated when he appears at the entrance to the cave?
5. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
6. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
7. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
8. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
9. How does Robert Jordan feel about Anselmo and Agustin now that they are in the center of war?
10. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss salvation. What does it mean to be redeemed? Is redemption something that is bestowed upon you or do you rely on the mercy of others to provide salvation? Use Maria's personal story as your example. Use evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)