|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the entrance to the cave?
2. Who does Marty think Gomez and Andres work for?
3. Who does Andres tell the guard he is associated with?
4. What do the fascists do to Maria and her sister after their parents were killed?
5. Who does Robert Jordan decide to send to Navacerrada?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Robert Jordan's plan?
2. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
3. Do the men trust Robert Jordan now, even after the tragic event at Sordos has occurred?
4. What does Andres think about as he walks to Golz, carrying a message from Robert Jordan?
5. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
6. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
7. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
8. Why is Robert Jordan angry with Pilar and himself when he learns Pablo stole the materials for the mission?
9. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
10. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan thinks of his grandfather in war and how he would seek his advice if he were alive today. In what ways does Jordan admire his grandfather as opposed to his father. Compare and contrast the male role models in Robert Jordan's life with the characters in the novel (El Sordo, Pablo, Karkov, Kashkin, Anselmo). Define what a coward is, define what a brave man is, and discuss how envisioning Robert Jordan's grandfather's bravery in the American Civil War inspired Robert Jordan to want to succeed.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss salvation. What does it mean to be redeemed? Is redemption something that is bestowed upon you or do you rely on the mercy of others to provide salvation? Use Maria's personal story as your example. Use evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Joaquin's story shows the effects of war on the civilian population. It also symbolizes what happens in many countries when America intervenes in foreign affairs. What is the price that civilians of the countries America invades pay for supporting wars? Discuss current events that depict this intervention.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)