|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the general tell Karkov they should receive this very night?
2. How many of Pablo's men have been killed?
3. At what hotel is Karkov staying at in Madrid?
4. What does Pablo say to Robert Jordan despite the obvious movement of weapons and troops?
5. What does Robert Jordan leave with Agustin, but warns not to use until the fighting is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karkov learn when he arrives at his apartment in the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid?
2. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
3. When Andres arrives at the government position, what do the guards think of him?
4. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
5. What do the men at the government post not know about what has happened?
6. What do the new men mistakenly think Pablo's role is in the mission?
7. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
8. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
9. When Robert Jordan thinks of the bridge now, what does he feel?
10. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan thinks of his grandfather in war and how he would seek his advice if he were alive today. In what ways does Jordan admire his grandfather as opposed to his father. Compare and contrast the male role models in Robert Jordan's life with the characters in the novel (El Sordo, Pablo, Karkov, Kashkin, Anselmo). Define what a coward is, define what a brave man is, and discuss how envisioning Robert Jordan's grandfather's bravery in the American Civil War inspired Robert Jordan to want to succeed.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Andres. Discuss his loyalty to the group during a time of uncertainty. He is racing time trying to get the dispatch to Golz. Discuss this character in terms of his purpose in the story and the suspense he carries with him as makes his way with Miranda's orders to Golz.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)