|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Robert Jordan calms himself regarding Pablo's actions, what does he begin to think about?
2. What do the fascists do to Maria and her sister after their parents were killed?
3. Miranda writers orders to help get the dispatch delivered to which character?
4. Whose grenades does Robert Jordan decide to use?
5. After Pilar's group returns, Robert Jordan learns of this man's death.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karkov plan to drive to the front in the early morning hours before the offensive?
2. What does Andres think about as he walks to Golz, carrying a message from Robert Jordan?
3. What happens when Gomez speaks with Andre Marty, the French officer?
4. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
5. How does Robert Jordan feel about Anselmo and Agustin now that they are in the center of war?
6. How is Pablo treated when he appears at the entrance to the cave?
7. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
8. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
9. What do the new men mistakenly think Pablo's role is in the mission?
10. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan trusts Agustin, who controlled his urge to kill the first four cavalrymen. If he had killed them, what would have happened to the mission? Agustin had the innate desire to kill. Robert Jordan thinks that killing is sacramental to Spaniards. Do you agree? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Should Robert Jordan have killed Pablo immediately? What does it say about Robert Jordan's character that he contemplated his decision to kill or not kill Pablo as he watched him care for the horses? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the process of timing as Andre Marty, Karkov, and Duval make their way (or stand in the way) of the dispatch getting into the hands of Golz. In what ways are the men doing their jobs and in what way are they thwarting the mission? Are their characters believable? If the men have gone against the mission, describe their motivations in doing so. Bring in their culture and power to discuss their motivations.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)