|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the entrance to the cave?
2. What does Robert Jordan feel certain about as he approaches Primivito?
3. When the metal stops falling, Robert Jordan sees that the middle of the bridge is gone and this man is dead.
4. What is the name of the commander who listens to and believes Andres' story?
5. As Robert Jordan is walking down to the post to speak to Primivito what does he realize that Golz does not have the power to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
2. What do the new men mistakenly think Pablo's role is in the mission?
3. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
4. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
5. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
6. How does Gomez make sure Andres speaks to Lieutenant Colonel Miranda?
7. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
8. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
9. Does Robert Jordan live? Explain.
10. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Andres. Discuss his loyalty to the group during a time of uncertainty. He is racing time trying to get the dispatch to Golz. Discuss this character in terms of his purpose in the story and the suspense he carries with him as makes his way with Miranda's orders to Golz.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)