|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karkov do to save time before he drives to the front at two o'clock in the morning?
2. What did Robert Jordan's father kill himself with?
3. At what hotel is Karkov staying at in Madrid?
4. Who first recognizes Pepe and Elicio?
5. What does the guard threaten to do to Andres when he arrives at the government position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lieutenant Colonel Miranda tell Gomez to do?
2. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
3. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
4. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
5. What does Andres think about as he walks to Golz, carrying a message from Robert Jordan?
6. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
7. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
8. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
9. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
10. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Superstition is threaded through the novel. Discuss three events that were embedded with superstition and omens. Were the characters foolish for believing in the omens? Or was there truth in their beliefs? Explain using evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Pilar is upset with Pablo for acting cowardly and insecure. She dreams of a former lover, Finito, and how brave he was as a matador. How does Pilar's own reaction toward her husband thwart the mission? How does her coldness toward her husband who does not honor duty, reflect on the morale and actions of the group?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)