|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gomez transport Andres to see the lieutenant colonel?
2. What does Karkov do to save time before he drives to the front at two o'clock in the morning?
3. As Robert Jordan is walking down to the post to speak to Primivito what does he realize that Golz does not have the power to do?
4. What does Robert Jordon hope General Golz will do when he receives his dispatch?
5. Who's influence has made Robert Jordan doubt the success of the mission?
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Superstition is threaded through the novel. Discuss three events that were embedded with superstition and omens. Were the characters foolish for believing in the omens? Or was there truth in their beliefs? Explain using evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Pilar is upset with Pablo for acting cowardly and insecure. She dreams of a former lover, Finito, and how brave he was as a matador. How does Pilar's own reaction toward her husband thwart the mission? How does her coldness toward her husband who does not honor duty, reflect on the morale and actions of the group?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)