|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the fascists do to Maria and her sister after their parents were killed?
2. What is Robert Jordan doing when Anselmo finds him?
3. What does Robert Jordan find missing when he checks his sack?
4. How do the guards at the government post feel about Andres?
5. What does Andres think about when he thinks about life without war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
2. Does Robert Jordan live? Explain.
3. When Andres arrives at the government position, what do the guards think of him?
4. Why does Karkov plan to drive to the front in the early morning hours before the offensive?
5. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
6. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
7. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
8. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
9. What does Karkov learn when he arrives at his apartment in the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid?
10. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss salvation. What does it mean to be redeemed? Is redemption something that is bestowed upon you or do you rely on the mercy of others to provide salvation? Use Maria's personal story as your example. Use evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the barbarianism that is displayed during the taking of the hilltop at Sordos? Does this type of action define fascism itself or does it define the dark culture of Spain? How so? How does this practice relate to other cultures in times of war? (i.e Native Americans, scalping, etc). Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Pilar is upset with Pablo for acting cowardly and insecure. She dreams of a former lover, Finito, and how brave he was as a matador. How does Pilar's own reaction toward her husband thwart the mission? How does her coldness toward her husband who does not honor duty, reflect on the morale and actions of the group?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)