|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marty think Gomez and Andres work for?
2. Karkov says hello to his wife who is in uniform before walking over to whom?
3. Where does Pablo speak of going as they prepare to leave the camp?
4. What does Robert Jordan tell Pilar to do now that she knows Pablo is gone?
5. What is the name of the man who is on his way to Golz, carrying a message from Robert Jordan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
2. How is Pablo treated when he appears at the entrance to the cave?
3. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
4. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
5. What does Andres daydream about doing once the war is over?
6. How does Robert Jordan feel about Anselmo and Agustin now that they are in the center of war?
7. When Andres arrives at the government position, what do the guards think of him?
8. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
9. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
10. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Should Robert Jordan have killed Pablo immediately? What does it say about Robert Jordan's character that he contemplated his decision to kill or not kill Pablo as he watched him care for the horses? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
Essay Topic 3
Joaquin's story shows the effects of war on the civilian population. It also symbolizes what happens in many countries when America intervenes in foreign affairs. What is the price that civilians of the countries America invades pay for supporting wars? Discuss current events that depict this intervention.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)