|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pilar think about Robert Jordan's palm and what the gypsy has said?
2. What does Andres think about when he thinks about life without war?
3. What does Andres see coming down from the mountains?
4. What does Andre Marty immediately order?
5. What is the only weapon Robert Jordan still kept that belonged to his grandfather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss salvation. What does it mean to be redeemed? Is redemption something that is bestowed upon you or do you rely on the mercy of others to provide salvation? Use Maria's personal story as your example. Use evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pilar is upset with Pablo for acting cowardly and insecure. She dreams of a former lover, Finito, and how brave he was as a matador. How does Pilar's own reaction toward her husband thwart the mission? How does her coldness toward her husband who does not honor duty, reflect on the morale and actions of the group?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Pablo during the train and the attack of the barracks. What sort of man was he? Was he brave, bold, a fighter? How has his character changed over time and why has it changed? How has war obstructed the heart and mind of a strong man such as Pablo? Is Pablo a symbol of the transforming power of war to change men and take from them their courage, and instill them with fear?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)