|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best word to describe the character of Robert Jordan?
2. Who's influence has made Robert Jordan doubt the success of the mission?
3. What part of Robert Jordan's body is broken?
4. Maria asks if Robert Jordan wants to talk about his work, but Robert Jordan wants to talk about this city instead.
5. Robert Jordan reminds PIlar that there will be no attack unless they hear this sound.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
2. What happens when Gomez speaks with Andre Marty, the French officer?
3. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
4. Why does Karkov plan to drive to the front in the early morning hours before the offensive?
5. Does Robert Jordan live? Explain.
6. What does Karkov learn when he arrives at his apartment in the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid?
7. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
8. What does Andres think about as he walks to Golz, carrying a message from Robert Jordan?
9. Why is Robert Jordan angry with Pilar and himself when he learns Pablo stole the materials for the mission?
10. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/Contrast: Pablo becomes more and more cowardly as the novel progresses. At one point Robert Jordan thinks he has not drank as much as he claims to have. Discuss Pablo's fatal flaw and how he can be contrasted with Anselmo, who is also afraid, but acts out his duty regardless.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Andres. Discuss his loyalty to the group during a time of uncertainty. He is racing time trying to get the dispatch to Golz. Discuss this character in terms of his purpose in the story and the suspense he carries with him as makes his way with Miranda's orders to Golz.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)