|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Andres respond when Miranda asks about the movement?
2. When the metal stops falling, Robert Jordan sees that the middle of the bridge is gone and this man is dead.
3. What does Robert Jordan demand Anselmo do to the bridge, even if Robert Jordan has not finished.
4. What does Robert Jordan silently wish why lying in Maria's arms.
5. What is the name of the commander who listens to and believes Andres' story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
2. How does Robert Jordan feel about Anselmo and Agustin now that they are in the center of war?
3. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
4. Why is Robert Jordan angry with Pilar and himself when he learns Pablo stole the materials for the mission?
5. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
6. What does Robert Jordan's dispatch to General Golz say?
7. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
8. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
9. Does Robert Jordan live? Explain.
10. Describe what Maria believes about the love between her and Robert Jordan, even as Robert Jordan grows more and more realistic about the outcome of the day.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Pablo during the train and the attack of the barracks. What sort of man was he? Was he brave, bold, a fighter? How has his character changed over time and why has it changed? How has war obstructed the heart and mind of a strong man such as Pablo? Is Pablo a symbol of the transforming power of war to change men and take from them their courage, and instill them with fear?
Essay Topic 2
Karkov enters the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid and gladly meets his wife and mistress in the same room. How are women respected and treated at this time in Spain? Define the role of women at the time of the Spanish Civil War and contrast it with the treatment of women in America at the same time in history. Use Pilar and Maria's characters in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)