|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has killed Joaquin's parents, brother, and sister?
2. According to Pilar during the discussion of the mob storming the Ayuntamiento, what was the result of throwing the fascists from the cliff?
3. Who does Maria visit in the night?
4. What is the name of the woman who escaped from Valladolid during the train incident?
5. What is the only thing Robert Jordan can think about after he and Maria walk through the heather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
2. What does Andres daydream about doing once the war is over?
3. Why can't Maria go with Robert Jordan on the mission?
4. How is Pablo treated when he appears at the entrance to the cave?
5. What does Robert Jordan wish he could talk to his grandfather about and hopefully receive some advice? What does he realize as a result of his thoughts?
6. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
7. When Andres arrives at the government position, what do the guards think of him?
8. What happens after Robert Jordan finishes wiring the bridge and hears a truck coming down the road?
9. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
10. What do the men at the government post not know about what has happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karkov enters the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid and gladly meets his wife and mistress in the same room. How are women respected and treated at this time in Spain? Define the role of women at the time of the Spanish Civil War and contrast it with the treatment of women in America at the same time in history. Use Pilar and Maria's characters in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Pilar is upset with Pablo for acting cowardly and insecure. She dreams of a former lover, Finito, and how brave he was as a matador. How does Pilar's own reaction toward her husband thwart the mission? How does her coldness toward her husband who does not honor duty, reflect on the morale and actions of the group?
This section contains 1,748 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)