|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where should Andres bring the horses if he hears gunfire?
2. How is Pablo behaving when they return to camp?
3. Who shoots Joaquin in the back of the head?
4. One of Sordo's men begins to curse which character in Pablo's band for leaving them there?
5. What do Robert Jordan and Primivito watch returning from Sordo's?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Robert Jordan tells Maria that he loves her, what does he begin to fear and why?
2. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
3. Agustin hopes for a massacre, but Robert Jordan tells him that without the bridge it would mean nothing. Why?
4. How does Primivito react to the outcome of the fighting at Sordo's?
5. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
6. What happens when Pablo asks for proof of Robert Jordan's identity?
7. What happens after Robert Jordan shoots the horseman?
8. Who is Maria?
9. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
10. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
Essay Topic 2
Should Robert Jordan have killed Pablo immediately? What does it say about Robert Jordan's character that he contemplated his decision to kill or not kill Pablo as he watched him care for the horses? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Pilar is upset with Pablo for acting cowardly and insecure. She dreams of a former lover, Finito, and how brave he was as a matador. How does Pilar's own reaction toward her husband thwart the mission? How does her coldness toward her husband who does not honor duty, reflect on the morale and actions of the group?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)