|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first offers to kill Pablo?
2. Who does the Rolls Royce belong to?
3. What occupation does Joaquin hold?
4. What does Robert Jordan tell Maria when she joins him sleeping?
5. What action does Robert Jordan decide not to take as he walks down to watch Pablo with the horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Pilar do to escape the attack at the barracks?
2. What does Robert Jordan imagine his life to be as he thinks about what he will do after the war?
3. What happens when Pablo asks for proof of Robert Jordan's identity?
4. Why does Robert Jordan tell Primivito that they will do nothing about the attack on Sordo?
5. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
6. Agustin hopes for a massacre, but Robert Jordan tells him that without the bridge it would mean nothing. Why?
7. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
8. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
9. What is the reason why Pablo has decided that he is for the train now?
10. What happens to the men on the hill after the planes have passed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Pablo during the train and the attack of the barracks. What sort of man was he? Was he brave, bold, a fighter? How has his character changed over time and why has it changed? How has war obstructed the heart and mind of a strong man such as Pablo? Is Pablo a symbol of the transforming power of war to change men and take from them their courage, and instill them with fear?
Essay Topic 2
Should Robert Jordan have killed Pablo immediately? What does it say about Robert Jordan's character that he contemplated his decision to kill or not kill Pablo as he watched him care for the horses? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Joaquin's story shows the effects of war on the civilian population. It also symbolizes what happens in many countries when America intervenes in foreign affairs. What is the price that civilians of the countries America invades pay for supporting wars? Discuss current events that depict this intervention.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)