|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan say they will do about the attack on Sordo?
2. Who punches Pablo in the face for calling him a negro?
3. What does Robert Jordan tell Pilar he saw on Kashkin's face?
4. The two weak links, according to Agustin, are which characters?
5. Who shoots Joaquin in the back of the head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
2. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
3. Who is Maria?
4. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
5. Why does Robert Jordan choose not to kill Pablo?
6. How does Primivito react to the outcome of the fighting at Sordo's?
7. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
8. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
9. What does Robert Jordan believe the root is of being vulnerable to corruption in war?
10. What sickens Robert Jordan the most as the cavalry pass by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan trusts Agustin, who controlled his urge to kill the first four cavalrymen. If he had killed them, what would have happened to the mission? Agustin had the innate desire to kill. Robert Jordan thinks that killing is sacramental to Spaniards. Do you agree? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Superstition is threaded through the novel. Discuss three events that were embedded with superstition and omens. Were the characters foolish for believing in the omens? Or was there truth in their beliefs? Explain using evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Karkov enters the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid and gladly meets his wife and mistress in the same room. How are women respected and treated at this time in Spain? Define the role of women at the time of the Spanish Civil War and contrast it with the treatment of women in America at the same time in history. Use Pilar and Maria's characters in your answer.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)