|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan refuse to say to Maria as he senses danger approaching?
2. If not death, what does the gypsy suggest the group do to Pablo to control him?
3. What is the name of Pablo's wife?
4. How does Kashkin die, according to Robert Jordan?
5. What does the gypsy want Robert Jordan to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan believe the root is of being vulnerable to corruption in war?
2. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
3. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
4. What happens when Pablo asks for proof of Robert Jordan's identity?
5. Why can't Maria go with Robert Jordan on the mission?
6. Why does Pablo refuse to call Robert Jordan a professor?
7. Agustin hopes for a massacre, but Robert Jordan tells him that without the bridge it would mean nothing. Why?
8. What is the reason why Pablo has decided that he is for the train now?
9. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
10. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Pablo during the train and the attack of the barracks. What sort of man was he? Was he brave, bold, a fighter? How has his character changed over time and why has it changed? How has war obstructed the heart and mind of a strong man such as Pablo? Is Pablo a symbol of the transforming power of war to change men and take from them their courage, and instill them with fear?
Essay Topic 2
Given the knowledge of the history of the Spanish Civil War, do you think that fighting fascism was worth the price paid in human life? How important is it, or necessary, to stop fascism in its tracks. Is it more beneficial to seek an end to fascism with diplomacy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the barbarianism that is displayed during the taking of the hilltop at Sordos? Does this type of action define fascism itself or does it define the dark culture of Spain? How so? How does this practice relate to other cultures in times of war? (i.e Native Americans, scalping, etc). Explain your answer.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)