|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The two weak links, according to Agustin, are which characters?
2. What is Anselmo doing as he walks back toward Pablo's camp?
3. What do Robert Jordan and Primivito watch returning from Sordo's?
4. What occupation does Joaquin hold?
5. Which character first sees that fighting is happening toward El Sordo's camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the men on the hill after the planes have passed?
2. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
3. What sickens Robert Jordan the most as the cavalry pass by?
4. What happens after Robert Jordan shoots the horseman?
5. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
6. Why does Robert Jordan tell Primivito that they will do nothing about the attack on Sordo?
7. Does Robert Jordan believe that men can see their fate? Why or why not?
8. What does Pilar reminisce about when she sits down to eat with Fernando?
9. How does Primivito react to the outcome of the fighting at Sordo's?
10. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/Contrast: Pablo becomes more and more cowardly as the novel progresses. At one point Robert Jordan thinks he has not drank as much as he claims to have. Discuss Pablo's fatal flaw and how he can be contrasted with Anselmo, who is also afraid, but acts out his duty regardless.
Essay Topic 2
Karkov enters the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid and gladly meets his wife and mistress in the same room. How are women respected and treated at this time in Spain? Define the role of women at the time of the Spanish Civil War and contrast it with the treatment of women in America at the same time in history. Use Pilar and Maria's characters in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)