|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mission is Robert Jordan on?
2. After the initial 4 horsemen ride out of the woods, how many mounted horsemen does Primivito see coming?
3. When Pablo cries, what does he tell Pilar he is most afraid of?
4. Who's papers does Robert Jordon examine?
5. Who does Robert Jordan want to talk politics with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
2. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
3. Why does Pablo refuse to call Robert Jordan a professor?
4. How is Pablo treated when he appears at the entrance to the cave?
5. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
6. What do the men at the government post not know about what has happened?
7. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
8. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
9. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
10. What is Robert Jordan's plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
Essay Topic 2
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
This section contains 1,658 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)