Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the post to offer Anselmo a flask?
2. Who does the Rolls Royce belong to?
3. What does Pilar think Joaquin sees when he looks at her?
4. Who did Pilar say that Robert Jordan killed? He was a man who was wounded and requested to be shot.
5. When Pablo cries, what does he tell Pilar he is most afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
2. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
3. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
4. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
5. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
6. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
7. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
8. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
9. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
10. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
Essay Topic 1
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
Essay Topic 2
Karkov enters the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid and gladly meets his wife and mistress in the same room. How are women respected and treated at this time in Spain? Define the role of women at the time of the Spanish Civil War and contrast it with the treatment of women in America at the same time in history. Use Pilar and Maria's characters in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Given the knowledge of the history of the Spanish Civil War, do you think that fighting fascism was worth the price paid in human life? How important is it, or necessary, to stop fascism in its tracks. Is it more beneficial to seek an end to fascism with diplomacy?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)