|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the initial 4 horsemen ride out of the woods, how many mounted horsemen does Primivito see coming?
2. After Pablo voices his concerns for blowing up the bridge, what does Anselmo accuse Pablo of acting like?
3. If not death, what does the gypsy suggest the group do to Pablo to control him?
4. What does Robert Jordan tell Pilar he saw on Kashkin's face?
5. One of Sordo's men begins to curse which character in Pablo's band for leaving them there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
2. Why can't Maria go with Robert Jordan on the mission?
3. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
4. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
5. How does Primivito react to the outcome of the fighting at Sordo's?
6. What happens to the men on the hill after the planes have passed?
7. What does Robert Jordan believe the root is of being vulnerable to corruption in war?
8. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
9. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
10. What happens when Pablo asks for proof of Robert Jordan's identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss salvation. What does it mean to be redeemed? Is redemption something that is bestowed upon you or do you rely on the mercy of others to provide salvation? Use Maria's personal story as your example. Use evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan thinks of his grandfather in war and how he would seek his advice if he were alive today. In what ways does Jordan admire his grandfather as opposed to his father. Compare and contrast the male role models in Robert Jordan's life with the characters in the novel (El Sordo, Pablo, Karkov, Kashkin, Anselmo). Define what a coward is, define what a brave man is, and discuss how envisioning Robert Jordan's grandfather's bravery in the American Civil War inspired Robert Jordan to want to succeed.
Essay Topic 3
Given the knowledge of the history of the Spanish Civil War, do you think that fighting fascism was worth the price paid in human life? How important is it, or necessary, to stop fascism in its tracks. Is it more beneficial to seek an end to fascism with diplomacy?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)