|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the post to offer Anselmo a flask?
2. Who does the Rolls Royce belong to?
3. What does Pilar think Joaquin sees when he looks at her?
4. Who did Pilar say that Robert Jordan killed? He was a man who was wounded and requested to be shot.
5. When Pablo cries, what does he tell Pilar he is most afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
2. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
3. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
4. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
5. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
6. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
7. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
8. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
9. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
10. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
Essay Topic 1
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Andres. Discuss his loyalty to the group during a time of uncertainty. He is racing time trying to get the dispatch to Golz. Discuss this character in terms of his purpose in the story and the suspense he carries with him as makes his way with Miranda's orders to Golz.
Essay Topic 3
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
This section contains 1,668 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)