Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the post to offer Anselmo a flask?
2. Who does the Rolls Royce belong to?
3. What does Pilar think Joaquin sees when he looks at her?
4. Who did Pilar say that Robert Jordan killed? He was a man who was wounded and requested to be shot.
5. When Pablo cries, what does he tell Pilar he is most afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
2. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
3. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
4. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
5. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
6. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
7. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
8. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
9. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
10. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
Essay Topic 1
Should Robert Jordan have killed Pablo immediately? What does it say about Robert Jordan's character that he contemplated his decision to kill or not kill Pablo as he watched him care for the horses? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Pablo during the train and the attack of the barracks. What sort of man was he? Was he brave, bold, a fighter? How has his character changed over time and why has it changed? How has war obstructed the heart and mind of a strong man such as Pablo? Is Pablo a symbol of the transforming power of war to change men and take from them their courage, and instill them with fear?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)