|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan say they will do about the attack on Sordo?
2. If not death, what does the gypsy suggest the group do to Pablo to control him?
3. What is the name of the man who is Pilar's first love as well as a matador?
4. Who is making a daytime plan of escape for Robert Jordan?
5. What happens after the planes bomb the hill heavily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
2. Why is Agustin relieved that he did not fire at all four horsemen, as he easily could?
3. Why does Robert Jordan choose not to kill Pablo?
4. After Robert Jordan tells Maria that he loves her, what does he begin to fear and why?
5. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
6. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
7. What happens when Pablo asks for proof of Robert Jordan's identity?
8. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
9. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
10. What does Robert Jordan believe the root is of being vulnerable to corruption in war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan trusts Agustin, who controlled his urge to kill the first four cavalrymen. If he had killed them, what would have happened to the mission? Agustin had the innate desire to kill. Robert Jordan thinks that killing is sacramental to Spaniards. Do you agree? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan thinks of his grandfather in war and how he would seek his advice if he were alive today. In what ways does Jordan admire his grandfather as opposed to his father. Compare and contrast the male role models in Robert Jordan's life with the characters in the novel (El Sordo, Pablo, Karkov, Kashkin, Anselmo). Define what a coward is, define what a brave man is, and discuss how envisioning Robert Jordan's grandfather's bravery in the American Civil War inspired Robert Jordan to want to succeed.
Essay Topic 3
Pilar is upset with Pablo for acting cowardly and insecure. She dreams of a former lover, Finito, and how brave he was as a matador. How does Pilar's own reaction toward her husband thwart the mission? How does her coldness toward her husband who does not honor duty, reflect on the morale and actions of the group?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)