|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the restaurant where Robert Jordan met the peasant Spanish commanders when he first joined the movement?
2. When Pablo cries, what does he tell Pilar he is most afraid of?
3. How does Kashkin die, according to Robert Jordan?
4. Who visited the camp while Robert Jordan was with Anselmo?
5. Who does the gypsy first talk to about killing Pablo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan believe the root is of being vulnerable to corruption in war?
2. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
3. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
4. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
5. What did Pilar do to escape the attack at the barracks?
6. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
7. What does Pilar reminisce about when she sits down to eat with Fernando?
8. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
9. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
10. What sickens Robert Jordan the most as the cavalry pass by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
Essay Topic 2
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
Essay Topic 3
Should Robert Jordan have killed Pablo immediately? What does it say about Robert Jordan's character that he contemplated his decision to kill or not kill Pablo as he watched him care for the horses? Explain.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)