|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mission is Robert Jordan on?
2. What clothing does Pablo mock Robert Jordan about, thinking they wear it in the United States?
3. What career does Robert Jordan want to return to after the war?
4. How does Robert Jordan know the struggle at Sordo's is over?
5. If not death, what does the gypsy suggest the group do to Pablo to control him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Pilar do to escape the attack at the barracks?
2. What does Robert Jordan imagine his life to be as he thinks about what he will do after the war?
3. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
4. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
5. Why does Pablo refuse to call Robert Jordan a professor?
6. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
7. What sickens Robert Jordan the most as the cavalry pass by?
8. Why is Pilar for the bridge?
9. What does Robert Jordan believe the root is of being vulnerable to corruption in war?
10. What happens when Pablo asks for proof of Robert Jordan's identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given the knowledge of the history of the Spanish Civil War, do you think that fighting fascism was worth the price paid in human life? How important is it, or necessary, to stop fascism in its tracks. Is it more beneficial to seek an end to fascism with diplomacy?
Essay Topic 2
Compare/Contrast: Pablo becomes more and more cowardly as the novel progresses. At one point Robert Jordan thinks he has not drank as much as he claims to have. Discuss Pablo's fatal flaw and how he can be contrasted with Anselmo, who is also afraid, but acts out his duty regardless.
Essay Topic 3
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)