Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the post to offer Anselmo a flask?
2. Who does the Rolls Royce belong to?
3. What does Pilar think Joaquin sees when he looks at her?
4. Who did Pilar say that Robert Jordan killed? He was a man who was wounded and requested to be shot.
5. When Pablo cries, what does he tell Pilar he is most afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
2. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
3. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
4. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
5. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
6. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
7. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
8. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
9. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
10. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
Essay Topic 1
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
Essay Topic 2
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Pablo during the train and the attack of the barracks. What sort of man was he? Was he brave, bold, a fighter? How has his character changed over time and why has it changed? How has war obstructed the heart and mind of a strong man such as Pablo? Is Pablo a symbol of the transforming power of war to change men and take from them their courage, and instill them with fear?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)