|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Robert Jordan decide not to take as he walks down to watch Pablo with the horses?
2. Anselmo cannot write so Robert Jordan suggests that he do this instead to indicate enemy movement.
3. Which character hesitates when the group discusses killing Pablo?
4. Maria has read in the fascist newspapers that there are hundreds of thousands of Russians in this city.
5. After the initial 4 horsemen ride out of the woods, how many mounted horsemen does Primivito see coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sickens Robert Jordan the most as the cavalry pass by?
2. What happens when Pablo asks for proof of Robert Jordan's identity?
3. Why is Agustin relieved that he did not fire at all four horsemen, as he easily could?
4. What happens to the men on the hill after the planes have passed?
5. Why can't Maria go with Robert Jordan on the mission?
6. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
7. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
8. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
9. Why does Pablo refuse to call Robert Jordan a professor?
10. Why does Robert Jordan tell Primivito that they will do nothing about the attack on Sordo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given the knowledge of the history of the Spanish Civil War, do you think that fighting fascism was worth the price paid in human life? How important is it, or necessary, to stop fascism in its tracks. Is it more beneficial to seek an end to fascism with diplomacy?
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan thinks of his grandfather in war and how he would seek his advice if he were alive today. In what ways does Jordan admire his grandfather as opposed to his father. Compare and contrast the male role models in Robert Jordan's life with the characters in the novel (El Sordo, Pablo, Karkov, Kashkin, Anselmo). Define what a coward is, define what a brave man is, and discuss how envisioning Robert Jordan's grandfather's bravery in the American Civil War inspired Robert Jordan to want to succeed.
Essay Topic 3
Compare/Contrast: Pablo becomes more and more cowardly as the novel progresses. At one point Robert Jordan thinks he has not drank as much as he claims to have. Discuss Pablo's fatal flaw and how he can be contrasted with Anselmo, who is also afraid, but acts out his duty regardless.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)