Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears at the post to offer Anselmo a flask?
2. Who does the Rolls Royce belong to?
3. What does Pilar think Joaquin sees when he looks at her?
4. Who did Pilar say that Robert Jordan killed? He was a man who was wounded and requested to be shot.
5. When Pablo cries, what does he tell Pilar he is most afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What begins to happen to Robert Jordan as he thinks more and more of Pablo?
2. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
3. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
4. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
5. Maria is fearful of one thing upon marrying Robert Jordan. What is it and how does Robert Jordan react?
6. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
7. How do Maria's parent's react right before they are killed by the fascists?
8. What do Robert Jordan and Pablo discuss as they load the horses and prepare to leave?
9. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
10. What is the ultimate reason Pablo returned to the cave?
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan thinks of his grandfather in war and how he would seek his advice if he were alive today. In what ways does Jordan admire his grandfather as opposed to his father. Compare and contrast the male role models in Robert Jordan's life with the characters in the novel (El Sordo, Pablo, Karkov, Kashkin, Anselmo). Define what a coward is, define what a brave man is, and discuss how envisioning Robert Jordan's grandfather's bravery in the American Civil War inspired Robert Jordan to want to succeed.
Essay Topic 2
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of salvation runs throughout the novel. Give three examples of salvation from the novel and explain how the theme is a major part of the unfolding of the plot.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)