|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan tell Maria when she joins him sleeping?
2. What is the name of the woman who escaped from Valladolid during the train incident?
3. What does Robert Jordan think of Maria?
4. Who does Robert Jordan want to talk politics with?
5. What does Pilar tell Fernando about Robert Jordan and Maria?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
2. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
3. Why does Robert Jordan choose not to kill Pablo?
4. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
5. After Robert Jordan tells Maria that he loves her, what does he begin to fear and why?
6. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
7. Why can't Maria go with Robert Jordan on the mission?
8. Why does Robert Jordan tell Primivito that they will do nothing about the attack on Sordo?
9. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
10. What does Robert Jordan imagine his life to be as he thinks about what he will do after the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/Contrast: Pablo becomes more and more cowardly as the novel progresses. At one point Robert Jordan thinks he has not drank as much as he claims to have. Discuss Pablo's fatal flaw and how he can be contrasted with Anselmo, who is also afraid, but acts out his duty regardless.
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan trusts Agustin, who controlled his urge to kill the first four cavalrymen. If he had killed them, what would have happened to the mission? Agustin had the innate desire to kill. Robert Jordan thinks that killing is sacramental to Spaniards. Do you agree? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Given the knowledge of the history of the Spanish Civil War, do you think that fighting fascism was worth the price paid in human life? How important is it, or necessary, to stop fascism in its tracks. Is it more beneficial to seek an end to fascism with diplomacy?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)