|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pilar jealous of?
2. What does Agustin say he is willing to die for?
3. What has happened to Maria that she feels Robert Jordan will not love her?
4. When Robert Jordan forgets Anselmo's name he thinks of his forgetfulness as an example of what?
5. When asked, Robert Jordan tells Maria that politically he can be defined as this.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan imagine his life to be as he thinks about what he will do after the war?
2. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
3. Agustin hopes for a massacre, but Robert Jordan tells him that without the bridge it would mean nothing. Why?
4. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
5. Why is Pilar for the bridge?
6. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
7. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
8. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
9. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
10. Why does Robert Jordan choose not to kill Pablo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/Contrast: Pablo becomes more and more cowardly as the novel progresses. At one point Robert Jordan thinks he has not drank as much as he claims to have. Discuss Pablo's fatal flaw and how he can be contrasted with Anselmo, who is also afraid, but acts out his duty regardless.
Essay Topic 2
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of salvation runs throughout the novel. Give three examples of salvation from the novel and explain how the theme is a major part of the unfolding of the plot.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)