|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pilar afraid of the planes that fly overhead?
2. What does Pilar tell Fernando about Robert Jordan and Maria?
3. Who has Sordo's gun?
4. Who punches Pablo in the face for calling him a negro?
5. Who has killed Joaquin's parents, brother, and sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the men on the hill after the planes have passed?
2. What happens after Robert Jordan shoots the horseman?
3. Why does Pablo refuse to call Robert Jordan a professor?
4. What does Robert Jordan imagine his life to be as he thinks about what he will do after the war?
5. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
6. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
7. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
8. Does Robert Jordan believe that men can see their fate? Why or why not?
9. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
10. What does Pilar reminisce about when she sits down to eat with Fernando?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of salvation runs throughout the novel. Give three examples of salvation from the novel and explain how the theme is a major part of the unfolding of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Given the knowledge of the history of the Spanish Civil War, do you think that fighting fascism was worth the price paid in human life? How important is it, or necessary, to stop fascism in its tracks. Is it more beneficial to seek an end to fascism with diplomacy?
Essay Topic 3
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)