|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What career does Robert Jordan want to return to after the war?
2. Who is making a daytime plan of escape for Robert Jordan?
3. Anselmo cannot write so Robert Jordan suggests that he do this instead to indicate enemy movement.
4. According to Pilar during the discussion of the mob storming the Ayuntamiento, what was the result of throwing the fascists from the cliff?
5. What is the only thing Robert Jordan can think about after he and Maria walk through the heather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
2. Agustin hopes for a massacre, but Robert Jordan tells him that without the bridge it would mean nothing. Why?
3. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
4. What happens after Robert Jordan shoots the horseman?
5. What did Pilar do to escape the attack at the barracks?
6. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
7. What does Robert Jordan believe the root is of being vulnerable to corruption in war?
8. What sickens Robert Jordan the most as the cavalry pass by?
9. What is the reason why Pablo has decided that he is for the train now?
10. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joaquin's story shows the effects of war on the civilian population. It also symbolizes what happens in many countries when America intervenes in foreign affairs. What is the price that civilians of the countries America invades pay for supporting wars? Discuss current events that depict this intervention.
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan trusts Agustin, who controlled his urge to kill the first four cavalrymen. If he had killed them, what would have happened to the mission? Agustin had the innate desire to kill. Robert Jordan thinks that killing is sacramental to Spaniards. Do you agree? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)