|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What patrol do the three planes that fly in V formation belong to?
2. Who does Pilar send with food, wine, and the dead cavalryman's papers?
3. What career does Robert Jordan want to return to after the war?
4. What does the gypsy want Robert Jordan to do?
5. What is the name of Pablo's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
2. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
3. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
4. What does Robert Jordan imagine his life to be as he thinks about what he will do after the war?
5. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
6. What sickens Robert Jordan the most as the cavalry pass by?
7. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
8. Why does Pablo refuse to call Robert Jordan a professor?
9. Does Robert Jordan believe that men can see their fate? Why or why not?
10. Why can't Maria go with Robert Jordan on the mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert Jordan trusts Agustin, who controlled his urge to kill the first four cavalrymen. If he had killed them, what would have happened to the mission? Agustin had the innate desire to kill. Robert Jordan thinks that killing is sacramental to Spaniards. Do you agree? Give examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan thinks of his grandfather in war and how he would seek his advice if he were alive today. In what ways does Jordan admire his grandfather as opposed to his father. Compare and contrast the male role models in Robert Jordan's life with the characters in the novel (El Sordo, Pablo, Karkov, Kashkin, Anselmo). Define what a coward is, define what a brave man is, and discuss how envisioning Robert Jordan's grandfather's bravery in the American Civil War inspired Robert Jordan to want to succeed.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the barbarianism that is displayed during the taking of the hilltop at Sordos? Does this type of action define fascism itself or does it define the dark culture of Spain? How so? How does this practice relate to other cultures in times of war? (i.e Native Americans, scalping, etc). Explain your answer.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)