|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan believe in regarding government?
2. Who first offers to kill Pablo?
3. When Robert Jordan forgets Anselmo's name he thinks of his forgetfulness as an example of what?
4. On the way to El Sordo, what does Robert Jordan inquire about?
5. What does Robert Jordan refuse to say to Maria as he senses danger approaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pablo asks for proof of Robert Jordan's identity?
2. What does Robert Jordan believe the root is of being vulnerable to corruption in war?
3. What is the reason why Pablo has decided that he is for the train now?
4. Agustin hopes for a massacre, but Robert Jordan tells him that without the bridge it would mean nothing. Why?
5. Why is Agustin relieved that he did not fire at all four horsemen, as he easily could?
6. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
7. Why is Pilar for the bridge?
8. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
9. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
10. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Andres. Discuss his loyalty to the group during a time of uncertainty. He is racing time trying to get the dispatch to Golz. Discuss this character in terms of his purpose in the story and the suspense he carries with him as makes his way with Miranda's orders to Golz.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
Essay Topic 3
Robert Jordan trusts Agustin, who controlled his urge to kill the first four cavalrymen. If he had killed them, what would have happened to the mission? Agustin had the innate desire to kill. Robert Jordan thinks that killing is sacramental to Spaniards. Do you agree? Give examples from the text.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)