|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who is not completely dead on the hill?
2. What do Robert Jordan and Primivito watch returning from Sordo's?
3. One of Sordo's men begins to curse which character in Pablo's band for leaving them there?
4. Who does the Rolls Royce belong to?
5. What does Agustin say he is willing to die for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
2. Agustin hopes for a massacre, but Robert Jordan tells him that without the bridge it would mean nothing. Why?
3. Why does Pablo refuse to call Robert Jordan a professor?
4. What did Pilar do to escape the attack at the barracks?
5. Who is Maria?
6. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
7. What does Robert Jordan imagine his life to be as he thinks about what he will do after the war?
8. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
9. What sickens Robert Jordan the most as the cavalry pass by?
10. Does Robert Jordan believe that men can see their fate? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss salvation. What does it mean to be redeemed? Is redemption something that is bestowed upon you or do you rely on the mercy of others to provide salvation? Use Maria's personal story as your example. Use evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Andres. Discuss his loyalty to the group during a time of uncertainty. He is racing time trying to get the dispatch to Golz. Discuss this character in terms of his purpose in the story and the suspense he carries with him as makes his way with Miranda's orders to Golz.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)