|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way to El Sordo, what detail of the movement does Pilar discuss?
2. What is the sole enterprise that can win the war?
3. Fernando remembers talks about the movement in La Ganja that allude to the Republic planning this.
4. Who does Robert Jordan ask to catch the horse?
5. What emotion does Pilar tell Fernando has ruined her husband's once courageous spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
2. Why is Agustin relieved that he did not fire at all four horsemen, as he easily could?
3. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
4. Why does Pablo refuse to call Robert Jordan a professor?
5. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
6. What did Pilar do to escape the attack at the barracks?
7. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
8. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
9. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
10. What does Pilar reminisce about when she sits down to eat with Fernando?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karkov enters the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid and gladly meets his wife and mistress in the same room. How are women respected and treated at this time in Spain? Define the role of women at the time of the Spanish Civil War and contrast it with the treatment of women in America at the same time in history. Use Pilar and Maria's characters in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan asks the group to leave as he waits for the fascists while holding his machine gun. Is there any other way Robert Jordan could have handled the last scene in the novel? Did he have to sacrifice himself for the safety of the group? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)