|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan refuse to say to Maria as he senses danger approaching?
2. Fernando remembers talks about the movement in La Ganja that allude to the Republic planning this.
3. What is the only thing Robert Jordan can think about after he and Maria walk through the heather?
4. How does Robert Jordan describe what killing is to Spaniards?
5. Why is Pilar afraid of the planes that fly overhead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
2. How does Robert Jordan feel about Anselmo and Agustin now that they are in the center of war?
3. What does Robert Jordan wish he could talk to his grandfather about and hopefully receive some advice? What does he realize as a result of his thoughts?
4. What does Karkov learn when he arrives at his apartment in the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid?
5. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
6. What is the reason why Pablo has decided that he is for the train now?
7. Why does Robert Jordan choose not to kill Pablo?
8. What does Andres think about as he walks to Golz, carrying a message from Robert Jordan?
9. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
10. What does Robert Jordan believe the root is of being vulnerable to corruption in war?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process of timing as Andre Marty, Karkov, and Duval make their way (or stand in the way) of the dispatch getting into the hands of Golz. In what ways are the men doing their jobs and in what way are they thwarting the mission? Are their characters believable? If the men have gone against the mission, describe their motivations in doing so. Bring in their culture and power to discuss their motivations.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Pablo during the train and the attack of the barracks. What sort of man was he? Was he brave, bold, a fighter? How has his character changed over time and why has it changed? How has war obstructed the heart and mind of a strong man such as Pablo? Is Pablo a symbol of the transforming power of war to change men and take from them their courage, and instill them with fear?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
This section contains 1,743 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)