|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sordo wounded?
2. On the way to El Sordo, what detail of the movement does Pilar discuss?
3. When Pablo cries, what does he tell Pilar he is most afraid of?
4. What is the name of the woman who escaped from Valladolid during the train incident?
5. What is the name of the man who is Pilar's first love as well as a matador?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Robert Jordan shoots the horseman?
2. What does Pilar reminisce about when she sits down to eat with Fernando?
3. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
4. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
5. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
6. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
7. Why does Pablo refuse to call Robert Jordan a professor?
8. After Robert Jordan tells Maria that he loves her, what does he begin to fear and why?
9. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
10. What did Pilar do to escape the attack at the barracks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss salvation. What does it mean to be redeemed? Is redemption something that is bestowed upon you or do you rely on the mercy of others to provide salvation? Use Maria's personal story as your example. Use evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Karkov enters the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid and gladly meets his wife and mistress in the same room. How are women respected and treated at this time in Spain? Define the role of women at the time of the Spanish Civil War and contrast it with the treatment of women in America at the same time in history. Use Pilar and Maria's characters in your answer.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)