|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fernando remembers talks about the movement in La Ganja that allude to the Republic planning this.
2. Who first offers to kill Pablo?
3. What does Robert Jordan tell Maria when she joins him sleeping?
4. What is Karkov's occupation?
5. What does Agustin say he is willing to die for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
2. What does Pilar reminisce about when she sits down to eat with Fernando?
3. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
4. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
5. Why is Agustin relieved that he did not fire at all four horsemen, as he easily could?
6. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
7. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
8. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
9. Why does Pablo refuse to call Robert Jordan a professor?
10. Why is Pilar for the bridge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joaquin's story shows the effects of war on the civilian population. It also symbolizes what happens in many countries when America intervenes in foreign affairs. What is the price that civilians of the countries America invades pay for supporting wars? Discuss current events that depict this intervention.
Essay Topic 2
Robert Jordan thinks of his grandfather in war and how he would seek his advice if he were alive today. In what ways does Jordan admire his grandfather as opposed to his father. Compare and contrast the male role models in Robert Jordan's life with the characters in the novel (El Sordo, Pablo, Karkov, Kashkin, Anselmo). Define what a coward is, define what a brave man is, and discuss how envisioning Robert Jordan's grandfather's bravery in the American Civil War inspired Robert Jordan to want to succeed.
Essay Topic 3
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)