|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Robert Jordan decide not to take as he walks down to watch Pablo with the horses?
2. What is the name of the man who is waiting faithfully at his post to be relieved?
3. Does Robert Jordan think the planes have killed anyone?
4. What does Robert Jordan see on one of the saddles of the cavalry?
5. How does Kashkin die, according to Robert Jordan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pilar for the bridge?
2. Why is Agustin relieved that he did not fire at all four horsemen, as he easily could?
3. After Robert Jordan tells Maria that he loves her, what does he begin to fear and why?
4. What does Pilar reminisce about when she sits down to eat with Fernando?
5. What has made Joaquin sad, so much that he begins to cry?
6. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
7. What happens when Pablo asks for proof of Robert Jordan's identity?
8. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
9. How does Primivito react to the outcome of the fighting at Sordo's?
10. Why is Pilar jealous of Maria and Robert Jordan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/Contrast: Pablo becomes more and more cowardly as the novel progresses. At one point Robert Jordan thinks he has not drank as much as he claims to have. Discuss Pablo's fatal flaw and how he can be contrasted with Anselmo, who is also afraid, but acts out his duty regardless.
Essay Topic 2
Should Robert Jordan have killed Pablo immediately? What does it say about Robert Jordan's character that he contemplated his decision to kill or not kill Pablo as he watched him care for the horses? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Robert Jordan trusts Agustin, who controlled his urge to kill the first four cavalrymen. If he had killed them, what would have happened to the mission? Agustin had the innate desire to kill. Robert Jordan thinks that killing is sacramental to Spaniards. Do you agree? Give examples from the text.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)