|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where should Andres bring the horses if he hears gunfire?
2. What happens after the planes bomb the hill heavily?
3. What is the only thing Robert Jordan can think about after he and Maria walk through the heather?
4. On the way to El Sordo, what detail of the movement does Pilar discuss?
5. Does Robert Jordan think the planes have killed anyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Robert Jordan believe that men can see their fate? Why or why not?
2. What does Pilar reminisce about when she sits down to eat with Fernando?
3. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
4. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
5. What makes Maria feel like Robert Jordan will not love her?
6. Agustin hopes for a massacre, but Robert Jordan tells him that without the bridge it would mean nothing. Why?
7. Why does Pilar love the memory of Finito more than the reality of Pablo?
8. How does Primivito react to the outcome of the fighting at Sordo's?
9. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
10. What is the reason why Pablo has decided that he is for the train now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define guerrilla warfare, then define civil war. What does it mean to engage in guerrilla warfare during a civil war? Name and discuss two events in history that have seen the type of fighting that are portrayed in Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Compare and contrast them to Hemingway's presentation of the Spanish Civil War.
Essay Topic 2
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
Essay Topic 3
Pablo returns to the cave and Pilar calls him Judas Iscariot, the ultimate betrayer, but accepts him back regardless. Do you think that Robert Jordan and Pilar did the right thing by accepting him back in the cave? Explain why or why not and give textual evidence.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)