|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Pilar during the discussion of the mob storming the Ayuntamiento, what was the result of throwing the fascists from the cliff?
2. Who has Sordo's gun?
3. What clothing does Pablo mock Robert Jordan about, thinking they wear it in the United States?
4. Robert Jordan wakes to the sound of this in the morning.
5. What emotion does Pilar tell Fernando has ruined her husband's once courageous spirit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Golz receive the dispatch? Explain.
2. Why does Karkov plan to drive to the front in the early morning hours before the offensive?
3. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
4. Agustin hopes for a massacre, but Robert Jordan tells him that without the bridge it would mean nothing. Why?
5. Who does Pilar blame for the stolen materials?
6. What does Karkov learn when he arrives at his apartment in the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid?
7. When Robert Jordan thinks of the bridge now, what does he feel?
8. What do the new men mistakenly think Pablo's role is in the mission?
9. What does Robert Jordan imagine his life to be as he thinks about what he will do after the war?
10. How did Robert Jordan's father kill himself?
Essay Topic 1
Pablo is viewed by his comrades as a dissenter. They plot to kill him, as the gypsy suggests. Pablo then returns to the group a changed man, willing to participate and get along. What event is the turning point for Pablo? Is it the thought of impending death or the hope of redemption and restoration of bravery that has changed Pablo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the incident when Robert Jordan reaches for his gun to maintain order in the cave. Is this an extreme response to the fighting that has gone on between Pilar and Pablo? Or is this a necessary response when engaged in battle? How and why does strategy and teamwork need to be a central focus with Robert Jordan and his men? What are the consequences if they do not act in unison?
Essay Topic 3
Karkov enters the Hotel Gaylord in Madrid and gladly meets his wife and mistress in the same room. How are women respected and treated at this time in Spain? Define the role of women at the time of the Spanish Civil War and contrast it with the treatment of women in America at the same time in history. Use Pilar and Maria's characters in your answer.
This section contains 1,652 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)