|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Pilar during the discussion of the mob storming the Ayuntamiento, what was the result of throwing the fascists from the cliff?
(a) they would be forgiven
(b) they would face arrest
(c) bad things would come 3 days later
(d) judgment day was upon them
2. Who does Pilar send with food, wine, and the dead cavalryman's papers?
(a) Robert Jordan
3. Anselmo cannot write so Robert Jordan suggests that he do this instead to indicate enemy movement.
(a) use sign language
(b) pass on the responsibility to Pablo
(c) learn to write
(d) draw symbols and tally marks
4. What does the gypsy want Robert Jordan to do?
(a) kill Pablo
(b) flee the country
(c) kill Pilar
(d) destroy the bridge in the night
5. Pablo does not believe in superstition, but he does believe in Pilar's ability to do this.
(a) conduct ESP
(b) smell death
(c) cause storms
(d) read palms
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert Jordan wake in the morning to hear?
2. What does Robert Jordan hear as he is thinking of Sordo and wondering what is happening to him and his men?
3. What does Robert Jordan see on one of the saddles of the cavalry?
4. What does Pilar think of Robert Jordan deciding to not kill Pablo?
5. What does Robert Jordan say they will do about the attack on Sordo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Agustin hopes for a massacre, but Robert Jordan tells him that without the bridge it would mean nothing. Why?
2. Why does Robert Jordan choose not to kill Pablo?
3. How does Anselmo convince Robert Jordan to use the men he has instead of seek men from another camp to help him on his mission?
4. What does Robert Jordan imagine his life to be as he thinks about what he will do after the war?
5. What does Anselmo think about while the fascist patrol keep warm?
6. Why can't Maria go with Robert Jordan on the mission?
7. Is Sordo afraid to die? Explain.
8. How does Robert Jordan respond when Maria asks if he is a communist?
9. Which characters does Agustin describe as dependable members of the group?
10. What does Robert Jordan learn as he examines the fascist cavalryman's papers?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)