|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Maria's father yells out "Viva la Republica" before this event happens.
(a) he is shot by the fascists
(b) his wife is shot by the fascists
(c) he kills two fascist soldiers
(d) his daughters' heads are shaved
2. Robert Jordan feels anger toward Pablo but he also feels anger toward whom?
(a) all Spanish people
(b) the fascists
(d) the Republicans
3. Who makes several phone calls to finally reach Golz?
(b) Andre Marty
4. Karkov says hello to his wife who is in uniform before walking over to whom?
(a) his mistress
(b) a fascist soldier
(c) a Republican
(d) the concierge
5. What is Robert Jordan doing when Anselmo finds him?
(a) writing in his notebook
(b) crying alone
(c) sleeping on the hillside
6. Who first recognizes Pepe and Elicio?
(a) Robert Jordan
7. After Robert Jordan calms himself regarding Pablo's actions, what does he begin to think about?
(a) how he will get vengence on Pablo
(b) how he will chastise Pilar for failing
(c) how he will marry Maria
(d) how he will blow up the bridge
8. Who does Marty think Gomez and Andres work for?
(a) the Republicans
(b) the Americans
(c) the fascists
(d) the Russians
9. What does Robert Jordan NOT believe in?
10. Robert Jordan claims he is not superstitious, be he views the planes and fascist activity as what?
(a) signs of progress
(b) bad omens
(c) good luck
(d) signs of encouragment
11. What emotion does Pilar think Pablo is showing by trying to stop the bridge?
12. What does Andres think when he sees the government position ahead?
(a) challenge and revenge
13. What does Golz watch as he receives the dispatch?
(a) the planes take off
(b) the empty trucks roll in
(c) a fleet of fascists leaving
(d) smoke rise up from the mountains
14. How many of Pablo's men have been killed?
(c) two and one injured
(d) all of them
15. What does Robert Jordan think Pablo's return is a sign of?
(b) bad luck to come
(c) luck returning
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maria's mother pledge before she is killed by the fascists?
2. What does Robert Jordon hope General Golz will do when he receives his dispatch?
3. What is the name of the commander who listens to and believes Andres' story?
4. What emotion ultimately brings Pablo back to his people?
5. Who does Robert Jordan decide to send to Navacerrada?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)