Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
* Robert Jordan and his guide, Anselmo, are in the mountains of Spain during the Spanish Civil War.
* Jordan is on a mission to blow up an enemy bridge.
* Jordan and Anselmo meet Pablo who is an excellent guerrilla leader. Pablo is concerned for his people.
* Robert Jordan, Anselmo, and Pablo arrive at a camp. They discuss the death of Kashkin.
* They meet a woman named Maria who has escaped from Valladolid where she was a prisoner.
* They meet Pablo's wife who has gypsy blood and assists with the mission.
* There are eight good men coming from El Sordo.
* Robert Jordan and Anselmo go to check the bridge while Pablo's wife watches the explosives.
Chapter 3 | Chapter 4
* Robert Jordan studies and sketches the bridge and watches the sentry.
* Three planes fly in V formation; a fascist patrol operation.
* Anselmo confesses he has never been in battle.
* Robert Jordan...
This section contains 3,312 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)