|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people call Lewis in Chapter 9?
2. Where do Toddy and Lewis vacation in Chapter 10?
3. Where had Lewis worked as an intern in Law school?
4. Why does Lewis have some difficulty with his co-workers in Chapter 8?
5. How much money is Lewis able to raise to cover his campaign debts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lewis delay his entry into law school?
2. How does Chesty's second stroke affect his life?
3. How does the ability to drive a car affect Lewis's self esteem?
4. How does Lewis's stay in the psychiatric unit at Bethesda Naval Hospital and the Psychiatric Institute of Washington affect his character?
5. How does Lewis prepare to re-enter civilian life?
6. How does Chesty's death affect Lewis?
7. How does the symbolic disposal of medals by some veterans in 1971 affect Lewis?
8. How does President Ford provide Lewis with a purpose?
9. How does Lewis's drinking affect his work and family life?
10. How does Lewis's election campaign affect his relationship with his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Lewis and his platoon cope with the stress of war while in Vietnam? Why are their patrols rotated so often? What coping mechanisms does Lewis develop that he wishes he could have avoided?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of Lewis's meeting with the Soviet veterans. What internal conflicts does each party struggle with and how are those conflicts resolved? How do the two groups provide each other with a sense of closure and healing?
Essay Topic 3
What expectations does Chesty have of Lewis? How does Chesty attempt to instill his values in his son? Does Lewis live up to his father's expectations?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)