|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad habit does Lewis pick up in Chapter 10?
2. How does Dr. Willet plan to improve Lewis's grip in his right hand?
3. Who is Maggie?
4. Why does Lewis feel ill at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What digit does Dr. Sandzen hope to graft into the end of Lewis' right thumb?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the operation Dr. Sandzen attempts on Lewis's right hand.
2. Why does Lewis delay his entry into law school?
3. Why does Lewis dislike Paul Trible?
4. How does Lewis's stay in the psychiatric unit at Bethesda Naval Hospital and the Psychiatric Institute of Washington affect his character?
5. Describe the operation Dr. Willet attempts on Lewis's right hand.
6. What is in the letter Dr. Sandzen shows Lewis?
7. What problems does Lewis encounter with local newspapers during his election campaign?
8. How does Lewis handle his campaign debt?
9. How does Lewis prepare to re-enter civilian life?
10. How does the ability to drive a car affect Lewis's self esteem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the progression of Lewis's political views. What factors influence the change in his political views throughout the years? How and why do his views differ from his father's by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the hope that Lewpy's birth gives Lewis. What motivation does Lewis have being a father? What emotional, psychological, and physical changes does Lewis experience after the birth of this son? How could a newborn infant motivate a grown man to succeed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Paul Barent's influence on Lewis's life. How does his presence affect Lewis's recovery? What support does he offer during and after his stay in the hospital? How might Lewis's life have been different if Paul had not been Lewis's roommate?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)