|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What issue divides Lewis and his father's protégé, General Walt?
(b) The occupation of Laos.
(d) Partisan politics.
2. What effect would the Navy Surgeon General's new policy have on the injured veterans?
(a) Certain reconstructive surgeries could no longer be performed.
(b) They would be physically unable to defend themselves.
(c) They would remain disfigured.
(d) They would lose their rank and pay.
3. Why does Lewis have difficulty with the local newspaper?
(a) The editor is a liberal.
(b) The media still views Lewis as a "baby killer" Veitnam veteran.
(c) The editor's niece had gone to school with his opponent's wife.
(d) The owner is Paul Trible's nephew.
4. Which president does Lewis meet in Chapter 8?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) Jimmy Carter.
(c) Ronald Regan.
(d) Gerald Ford.
5. After leaving the hospital for the last time, what does Lewis decide to do as a civilian?
(a) Go to law school.
(b) Run in the Special Olympics.
(c) Lobby to end the war.
(d) Let his hair grow long.
6. Why does Lewis dislike Paul Trible?
(a) Trible lobbies to send troops to Cambodia.
(b) He thinks Trible is a hypocrite.
(c) Trible was accused of extortion two years previous.
(d) Trible is Tom Downing's opponent.
7. Why does Toddy have Lewis admitted to the psychiatric ward of a nearby hospital?
(a) Lewis nearly drinks himself to death.
(b) Lewis begins to rant and rave in public.
(c) He threatens to kill himself.
(d) Lewis attempts suicide.
8. What effect does working with veterans have on Lewis in Chapter 8?
(a) He is energized because he feels needed.
(b) He realizes that he is not alone in his fight to survive.
(c) He decides that veterans need a veteran representative in government.
(d) He becomes depressed.
9. Why does Lewis visit Camp David in Chapter 7?
(a) To help with President Ford's re-election campaign.
(b) To help prepare a clemency report for the president.
(c) As part of President Ford's legal staff.
(d) To help plan the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
10. Who is Lt. Bill Smithers?
(a) The hospital corpsman who encourages and assists Lewis.
(b) Lewis' firstborn son.
(c) The doctor in charge of Lewis' hand surgery.
(d) Commander Shaughnessey's replacement.
11. Who is Maggie?
(a) Martha's daughter.
(b) Virginia's daughter.
(c) Toddy's best friend.
(d) Lewis and Toddy's daughter.
12. Which political party does Lewis associate himself with?
13. Where does Lewis eventually find employment in Chapter 10?
(a) A local law firm.
(b) The Office of General Counsel of the Veterans Administration.
(c) The Office of the General Counsel at the Department of Defense.
(d) The Paralyzed Veterans of America.
14. What does Lewis do for the first time in November of 1972?
(a) Begin writing his book.
(b) Attend a protest rally.
(c) Run for Congress.
(d) Vote in a presidential election.
15. Who receives the Medal of Honor from President Nixon in Chapter 6?
(a) Phil Leslie.
(b) John Zier.
(c) Ken Shelleman.
(d) Bob Kerrey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Paul Trible?
2. Why can't Lewis take the job offered by the House Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committee?
3. Why does Lewis take a six week leave of absence from work in Chapter 8?
4. Where does Lewis work in 1976?
5. How does Dr. Willet plan to improve Lewis's grip in his right hand?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)