|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lewis decide to do with the letter Dr. Sandzen shows him?
(a) Confront the navy surgeon general.
(b) Send a copy to the President of the United States.
(c) Send a copy to the Marine Corps Headquarters.
(d) Tear it up.
2. Why is Lt. Calley on trial in Chapter 7?
(a) For shooting his commanding officer.
(b) For committing atrocities against civilians in Vietnam.
(c) For the murder of a Vietcong general.
(d) For going A.W.O.L. in Laos.
3. In the letter Dr. Sandzen shows Lewis, what does the Navy Surgeon General advise his subordinate commands to do to all active-duty injured veterans?
(a) Send them stateside.
(b) Administer life saving treatment only.
(c) Return them to duty as soon as possible.
(d) Retire those who are unable to return to duty.
4. What does Lewis decide to do in January of 1978?
(a) Become a part of Tom Downing's cabinet.
(b) Run for Paul Trible's seat in Congress.
(c) Run for lieutenant governor of Virginia.
(d) Run for Charles S. Robb's seat in Congress.
5. Why does Lewis visit Camp David in Chapter 7?
(a) To help plan the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
(b) As part of President Ford's legal staff.
(c) To help prepare a clemency report for the president.
(d) To help with President Ford's re-election campaign.
6. Why do people call Lewis in Chapter 9?
(a) To ask his advice on legal matters.
(b) To offer him anecdotes for his book.
(c) To offer their consolations on his loss.
(d) To offer their financial support for his new campaign.
7. Who is Dennis Lieberson?
(a) The Speaker of the House in 1976.
(b) Paul Trible's running mate.
(c) The Chief Lawyer to the White House in 1976.
(d) Lewis's campaign manager.
8. In Chapter 7, why does Lewis delay his entry into law school?
(a) To adjust to life outside the hospital.
(b) The GI bill administration is late with his tuition payment.
(c) He needs more time to practice walking.
(d) To spend more time with his family.
9. In Chapter 9, what event had made Lewis feel uncomfortable and awkward the previous evening?
(a) His post-election party.
(b) The toast in his honor.
(c) His mother's comments on his relationship with Toddy.
(d) A teaching demonstration about his infirmity.
10. Why is Lewis sad in Chapter 9?
(a) His last hand surgery was a failure.
(b) His last leg surgery was a failure.
(c) His father died.
(d) He lost the election.
11. Where had Lewis worked as an intern in Law school?
(a) The Paralyzed Veterans of America.
(b) The Office of the General Counsel at the Department of Defense.
(c) The White House.
(d) The Office of General Counsel of the Veterans Administration.
12. In Chapter 9, how does Teddy motivate Lewis?
(a) By returning home.
(b) By forcing him to go to the grocery store with her.
(c) By agreeing to attend counseling sessions.
(d) By giving him a kiss.
13. Why are Lewis's friends disturbed by his behavior in Chapter 9?
(a) They feel he should attempt to reconcile with Toddy.
(b) They think he is drinking too heavily.
(c) They are surprised he is giving up on politics.
(d) They think he should take more time to grieve.
14. Where do Toddy and Lewis decide to go at the end of Chapter 9?
(b) North Carolina.
15. Who is Maggie?
(a) Virginia's daughter.
(b) Toddy's best friend.
(c) Martha's daughter.
(d) Lewis and Toddy's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Toddy in Chapter 7?
2. Which president does Lewis meet in Chapter 8?
3. Who is Jan Scruggs?
4. After leaving the hospital for the last time, what does Lewis decide to do as a civilian?
5. How does Lewis's body react to the surgery on his right hand?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)