Part 1, Chapter 1
• In the summer of 1951, Lewis "Chesty" Puller makes a concerted effort to spend time with his son after returning from his most recent tour of duty.
• Chesty's son, Lewis, Jr., realizes at the age of six that he had a legacy to live up to as an adult.
• Chesty purchases Lewis a .22-caliber single-shot rifle for his sixth birthday, and father and son go rabbit hunting in the hills around Camp Pendleton.
• After the recoil of a 45-caliber pistol blackens Lewis' eyes in 1951, Chesty helps his son squeeze off a shot at the target.
• Lewis frequently observes the war games and field exercises at Camp Pendeleton, then plays his own war games at home with his twin sister, Martha.
• In 1952, Chesty is transferred to the Marine Recruit Depot in San Diego.
• Chesty limits his son's time with the Marines when Lewis begins to adopt some of...
This section contains 3,424 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)