|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stage name does Mike give Forrest?
2. In Chapter 15, what does Forrest use as an excuse to step away from Sam while they are playing Chess?
3. Who is Forrest trying to find in Chapter 17?
4. What is Forrest released from government service with?
5. What does Forrest vow never to do again in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens during Forrest's wrestling match with The Turd.
2. Explain what Sam, the guerrilla fighter in New Guinea, advises Forrest and Fritch to do to save their lives from the pygmies.
3. Describe what Forrest does to calm the ape Sue aboard the space shuttle.
4. Recall what happens when Forrest helps the orangutan, Sue, pee in a bottle.
5. Recall what happens when Forrest realizes he is going to lose his first chess game to Sam.
6. Explain what Mr. Tribble does for Forrest before they part ways.
7. Describe how Forrest and Lt. Dan reunite in Chapter 17.
8. Describe what happens during Forrest's chess match with "Honest Ivan" Petrokivitch.
9. In Chapter 13, explain what the crush of acceleration from the space shuttle reminds Forrest of.
10. Describe what Sam begins to teach Forrest, and how important it is to the astronauts' lives.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of motifs in literature and examine those used in Forrest Gump.
Part 1) Why are motifs so important to the story?
Part 2) What does a motif add to a story?
Part 3) How important are the motif's in Forrest Gump?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the affect of football on Forrest's life, exploring the opportunities that come his way and the characters he meets. What opportunities does Forrest gain from football in high school and college? Do people treat him differently once he becomes a football player? How do the professors in college treat football players, and is Forrest given special treatment?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Forrest is reunited with his childhood friend, Jenny. Forrest almost doesn't recognize Jenny because of how much she has changed. This reinvention of oneself was not unusual during the late 1960's. Analyze the character of Jenny, and explore how much she has changed throughout the novel. What kind of person is Jenny now? How has she changed? Does Forrest like these differences?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)