|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question makes Gerald's aunt yell at the beginning of the book?
2. What was Gerald's mother arrested for after the fire?
3. What is the name of the man who came to Gerald's birthday party?
4. How many days does Monique stay with Angel when she is sick?
5. How does Angel describe Gerald?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Monique say when Gerald says she is afraid of Jordan?
2. What does Gerald's G.I. Joe signify to him?
3. What makes Aunt Queen so mad about the go cart accident?
4. How did Gerald's house burn down?
5. Why do people doubt Aunt Queen's ability to care for Gerald?
6. How was Gerald taught to not play with lighters?
7. What are some of the ways Gerald protects Angel?
8. What makes Gerald's mother mad at the beginning of the book?
9. When does Gerald hide behind the couch, and why?
10. Why did Gerald almost die when his house burned down?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Kiara was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)