|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Gerald's mother arrested for after the fire?
(a) Child endangerment.
(d) Child abuse.
2. Why does Gerald not want to sit in the shopping cart at the beginning of the book?
(a) He wants to see around.
(b) He can't see his mother.
(c) He wet his pants.
(d) He has sores on his bum.
3. How does Gerald decide whether or not his mother is serious at the beginning of the book?
(a) He listens to her tone.
(b) He studies her face.
(c) He asks her.
(d) He watches her movements.
4. Why does the author say Gerald is crying when he is rocked by his aunt?
(a) For all of the pain he has endured.
(b) He is scared.
(c) For all of the pain that is yet to come.
(d) All of these.
5. What does Monique offer for Gerald's birthday?
(a) To visit him weekly.
(b) To take him to school.
(c) To let him live with her.
(d) To let his sister live with him.
6. What is Gerald rolling down a ramp?
(a) Bouncy balls.
(b) Small rocks.
7. What does Gerald's aunt want him to fetch from the garage?
(a) A bike.
(b) A go cart.
(c) A sewing machine.
(d) A book case.
8. Who did Gerald's sister live with most of her life?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her aunt.
9. What does Gerald refuse to do at first on his birthday when his mother is there?
(a) Touch his mother.
(b) Get out of bed.
(d) Look anyone in the eye.
10. When does Angel begin to feel secure with Aunt Queen?
(a) When she watches her play.
(b) When she makes dinner.
(c) When she holds her.
(d) When she sings.
11. What does Angel leave on the steps that angers Jordan?
(a) A doll.
(b) A bag.
(c) Her soda can.
(d) Some clothes.
12. What does Gerald do to help his aunt get in and out of the house?
(a) Puts in a chair well.
(b) Puts traction paper on the ramp.
(c) Builds a ramp.
(d) Widens the door.
13. Why does Angel wear tights?
(a) To attract attention.
(b) To stay warm.
(c) To hide bruises.
(d) To look nice.
14. Why does Angel sometimes stay with a neighbor?
(a) To have friends around.
(b) To make things easier on Monique.
(c) So she can get help on her homework.
(d) So she is not alone with Jordan.
15. Why does Angel not want to take her tights off?
(a) They are the only pretty thing she has.
(b) They make her feel safe.
(c) She is cold without them.
(d) Her mother will be mad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gerald's surprise birthday gift?
2. Who brings happiness to Gerald's life after Aunt Queen's death?
3. Why does Monique say she won't leave Jordan?
4. What did Gerald's aunt try to do for Gerald's sister?
5. What did Gerald get for his eighth birthday?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)