|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vinnie imagine Chuck doing at the beginning of Chapter 12?
2. What is Vinnie watching at the London Zoo?
3. What term does Chuck not use to describe his "folks"?
4. What causes Vinnie to be bedridden in Chapter 7?
5. What does Fred find while packing?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the time Chuck leaves his belongings with Vinnie when he returns to Wiltshire in Chapter 7, how has his relationship with Vinnie changed from the beginning of the book?
2. Describe the thoughts Fred has in bed at the end of Chapter 10 and the ultimate realization he makes.
3. Why does Fred go to Holland Park in Chapter 8?
4. What does Fred think is strange when he goes to find Rosemary at the radio station?
5. Describe the events that take place between Rosemary and Vinnie in the taxi at the end of Chapter 9.
6. Describe Vinnie's thoughts at the professional symposium she attends at the beginning of Chapter 11.
7. Explain whether or not you believe Mrs. Harris was ever a real person.
8. Why do you think Fido shrinks and waits outside when Vinnie enters her flat at the end of the novel?
9. Describe the events that lead up to Jakie saying his first word.
10. What does Vinnie share with Chuck about Zimmern at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fred tells Rosemary that he must return to Corinth by June 24. This upsets Rosemary and she starts slipping uncontrollably into characters. What does Fred's decision say about his responsibilities? Where do they lie? What would be the advantages of Fred shifting his responsibilities to Rosemary? What would be the disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
Posy's husband, Jimbo, knows she has a lover. He is OK with it so long as he never has to see the lover's face and his family life is not disrupted. How is this relationship more in line with Fred's impression of British open marriages? How does it differ from Fred's relationship with his wife?
Essay Topic 3
After making love to Chuck, Vinnie doesn't want her friends to find out. Why would Vinnie become intimate with someone and then want to keep it a secret? What is the worst that could happen if someone found out what they had done? Does Vinnie's desire to keep their relationship secret stem from Chuck's physical appearance or his personality? What does Vinnie try to change about Chuck?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)