|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 12, how long has it been since Vinnie heard from Chuck?
2. What does Vinnie imagine Chuck doing at the beginning of Chapter 12?
3. What causes Vinnie to be bedridden in Chapter 7?
4. How is Chuck able to attend engineering college?
5. Why is Vinnie depressed at the beginning of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 11, why has Fred never in his life felt worse about himself?
2. Why does Fred go to Holland Park in Chapter 8?
3. Why can Vinnie no longer imagine sharing space with anyone?
4. How does Vinnie try to change Chuck's appearance in Chapter 9?
5. What does Chuck tell about his childhood in Chapter 7?
6. What does Fred think is strange when he goes to find Rosemary at the radio station?
7. Explain the events that take place when Fred gets to Holland Park.
8. How has Chuck changed from the beginning to the end of the book?
9. What does Vinnie share with Chuck about Zimmern at the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. Describe Edwin's interaction with Fred at Rosemary's house in Chapter 11.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Posy's husband, Jimbo, knows she has a lover. He is OK with it so long as he never has to see the lover's face and his family life is not disrupted. How is this relationship more in line with Fred's impression of British open marriages? How does it differ from Fred's relationship with his wife?
Essay Topic 2
Chuck killed a drugged 16-year-old kid. Chuck can't get it out of his mind and often feels that his death may even the score. Would it? Can one death ever balance out another? Would Chuck feel better about the accident had his lawyer not won the case and he had been punished? What other factors contribute to Chuck's lack of self-worth?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Vinnie's vivid imagination pictures terrible things happening to Zimmern. Describe one of the fantasies and the events that cause her to think about Zimmern. Has she ever met Zimmern? Why does she despise him so much?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)