|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 8, how long has it been since Fred spoke to Rosemary?
2. What is Jakie's first word?
3. What does Vinnie imagine Chuck doing at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. Where does Fred stop when doubt fills him on the train ride?
5. Who is Roo's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the thoughts Fred has in bed at the end of Chapter 10 and the ultimate realization he makes.
2. Why do you think Fido shrinks and waits outside when Vinnie enters her flat at the end of the novel?
3. Describe Vinnie's thoughts at the professional symposium she attends at the beginning of Chapter 11.
4. What does Vinnie share with Chuck about Zimmern at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. Describe the symbolism Fred takes from the postcard he finds from Roberto Frank.
6. By the time Chuck leaves his belongings with Vinnie when he returns to Wiltshire in Chapter 7, how has his relationship with Vinnie changed from the beginning of the book?
7. At the end of Chapter 11, why has Fred never in his life felt worse about himself?
8. Describe the events that take place between Rosemary and Vinnie in the taxi at the end of Chapter 9.
9. Describe the events in the kitchen that ultimately lead up to Chuck and Vinnie making love.
10. How does Vinnie try to change Chuck's appearance in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Fred is reminded of novels by Henry James. Henry James is known for writing about America encountering Europe. How do the following American characters view England in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between plot and theme? Does theme affect plot? Does plot affect theme? List three examples of themes in Foreign Affairs and describe how they relate to the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the events that lead up to Vinnie acquiring a new rain coat. Begin with the lunch Chuck has with Vinnie and end with Vinnie watching polar bears at the London Zoo while wearing her new rain coat.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)