|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase best describes Vinnie's relationship with Edwin Francis?
2. Chuck learns of an ancestor named what?
3. Where does Rosemary confront Fred about being uncomfortable?
4. In what city is Rosemary's house located?
5. When a bulky, balding, Western-attired man seated on the aisle asks to look at a newspaper lying on the seat between him and Vinnie, what magazine does Vinnie bury herself in to avoid conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the man seated next to Vinnie on the plane.
2. Why is Virginia "Vinnie" Miner traveling to London?
3. What causes Vinnie to lose her temper with Chuck at the end of Chapter 5?
4. Why is Rosemary opposed to hiring a cleaning lady?
5. Describe the problems caused by Fred's physique.
6. What does Fred's father think of Roo?
7. What does Edwin say has him concerned about Mrs. Harris at the party in Chapter 6?
8. Describe each character's actions after Jimbo's car drives up.
9. What does Chuck say about tourism in Chapter 3?
10. Why does the British Museum frustrate Fred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vinnie and Chuck don't have much in common at the onset of the novel, yet they end up falling in love.
Part 1) Compare and contrast Vinnie and Chuck when they meet.
Part 2) Compare and contrast Vinnie at the beginning of the novel with Vinnie at the end. Do the same for Chuck.
Part 3) Which character changed more throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Fred at the beginning of the book, Fred after he breaks up with Rosemary, and Fred at the end of the book. Write this as three sets: Fred beginning versus Fred middle; Fred middle versus Fred end; Fred beginning versus Fred end. Which two have the most differences?
Essay Topic 3
Vinnie is furious that Chuck did not disclose his health condition with her. Had he told her, would Chuck have lived any differently? What would Vinnie have done had Chuck told her? Would this have made Chuck's life better? Would he have died anyway? What would have been accomplished by telling Vinnie he had a health condition?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)