|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pen take the ruined canvas that Lynley brings to show her?
2. While Lynley and Havers are at the Cambridge Constabulary, another body is discovered. Where is the body found?
3. Who finds the second body discovered in the story?
4. While being questioned by Lynley and Havers, whose room does Gareth claim to have seen Elena coming out of the morning she was killed?
5. When Lynley goes to the Weaver residence and the door is answered by Glyn instead of Justine, what does Glyn show to Lynley?
Short Essay Questions
1. To get around the petty dispute of the two forensics experts at the Cambridge Constabulary, what does Lynley suggest to the Detective Inspector?
2. What does Melinda find when she returns home in Chapter 16?
3. When questioned by Lynley after leaving the jazz concert, what does the professor admit to?
4. What does Adam Jenn remember about the first time that he ever met Elena?
5. Why does Glyn Weaver snoop around Anthony's house after Justine goes out for a run?
6. In her house, why does Sarah tell Anthony Weaver that she killed Elena?
7. Why does Melinda decide that she and Rosalyn need to leave Cambridge?
8. While questioning Gareth Randolph, what do both Lynley and Havers notice about Gareth?
9. Why was Rosalyn jealous of Elena Weaver?
10. When Lynley sees Anthony's car in Sarah Gordon's driveway, what does Lynley notice on the front seat of Weaver's car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Lynley and Barbara Havers can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two police officers' similarities facilitate the plot's development and move the story forward.
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Gareth Randolph is greatly affected by the death of Elena. Discuss how Elena's death and the events thereafter affect Gareth's worldview. How do Gareth's experiences affect his mental state, his ability to trust, and his willingness to help Lynley?
Essay Topic 3
While assisting Lynley in the investigation into Elena's murder, Barbara Havers is also dealing with the situation surrounding her mother. Describe the situation that Barbara Havers is dealing with at home, how the situation affects her work, and how the situation affects her worldview. What does Barbara learn from her partner that helps her deal with her home situation?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)