|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After realizing new arrangements need to be made for her mother, where does Havers take her mother to see?
2. In Lynley's estimation, approximately how old is the professor at the jazz concert that the challenge is issued to?
3. The night before the second victim's body is found, who did Rosalyn meet with?
4. When Lynley and Havers go to question Gareth Randolph the morning after questioning the professor, where do Lynley and Havers find Gareth?
5. According to the bicyclist who tells Lynley about the path to Granchester, how far from Crusoe's island is Granchester?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Anthony is taken to police headquarters after shooting Sarah Gordon, why do the police believe that he would be acquitted by a jury if brought up on charges?
2. According to the professor that Lynley meets at the jazz concert, why was the professor having an affair with Elena?
3. After taking Gareth Randolph's possessions to the police station, Lynley returns to the Weaver home. Why does Glyn believe Lynley is at the Weaver home?
4. Why does Melinda decide that she and Rosalyn need to leave Cambridge?
5. What ties the two murder victims together?
6. Why could the professor that Lynley meets at the jazz concert not be the father of Elena's baby?
7. How does Lynley figure that Sarah Gordon got into Cambridge unseen when she killed Elena Weaver?
8. According to the professor that Lynley meets at the jazz concert, why did Elena sleep with the professor?
9. According to Gareth Randolph, how did Elena respond when Gareth told her that he loved her?
10. When Lynley sees Anthony's car in Sarah Gordon's driveway, what does Lynley notice on the front seat of Weaver's car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elena Weaver seems to be a woman who was supremely confident in her ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight her confidence. How was Elena helped by her utter confidence? How was Elena hurt by her confidence?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Victor Troughton and Lennart Thorsson.
a. Compare the role that love plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of love, both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
The book is titled "For the Sake of Elena." Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the people affected by the main character's murder, and the determination of Thomas Lynley to set things right?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)