|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Havers suggests to Lynley to have her reassigned and ask someone else to assist Lynley with the case, who does Havers suggest she talk to in order to pave the way for her replacement?
2. According to the conversation between Anthony and Justine that Glyn overhears, who wants to deliver a eulogy at Elena's funeral?
3. Which room in Sarah Gordon's house is the only room that does not have any wall decorations?
4. When Lynley arrives at Sarah Gordon's house and sees whose car is in the driveway, who does Lynley have Havers call?
5. When Adam Jenn first met Elena Weaver, what does Adam remember that Elena smelled like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of scholar was the second murder victim?
2. How does Mrs. Havers's caregiver deter Mrs. Havers from leaving the house when Mrs. Havers is insistent?
3. How does Pen discover what had originally been on the destroyed canvas that Glyn Weaver gave to Lynley?
4. Why does Melinda decide that she and Rosalyn need to leave Cambridge?
5. Although Anthony is taken to police headquarters after shooting Sarah Gordon, why do the police believe that he would be acquitted by a jury if brought up on charges?
6. After taking Gareth Randolph's possessions to the police station, Lynley returns to the Weaver home. Why does Glyn believe Lynley is at the Weaver home?
7. When questioned by Lynley after leaving the jazz concert, what does the professor admit to?
8. Describe the second murder victim found in the story.
9. While questioning Gareth Randolph, what do both Lynley and Havers notice about Gareth?
10. According to Gareth Randolph, how did Elena respond when Gareth told her that he loved her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Adam Jenn's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself, his professor, and Elena. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Adam Jenn, Anthony Weaver, Sarah Gordon, and Barbara Havers.
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Gareth Randolph is greatly affected by the death of Elena. Discuss how Elena's death and the events thereafter affect Gareth's worldview. How do Gareth's experiences affect his mental state, his ability to trust, and his willingness to help Lynley?
Essay Topic 3
Anthony Weaver wears different masks in the story. A professor, a husband, and a liar, Weaver is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare the different sides of Anthony Weaver. How would the entire plot have been affected if Weaver had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Thomas Lynley? Why is it necessary for Weaver to wear different masks?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)