|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Fountainhead, Howard thinks that happiness equals what?
2. Howard's foe think that a broken man does which of the following?
3. Howard realizes he exists for whom or what?
4. In The Fountainhead, the root of everything despicable is the absence of what quality?
5. What is Howard's occupation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Rand suggest a culture should be judged? Does Rand follow through with this technique in judging other cultures?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role symbolism plays in For the New Intellectual. Specifically focus on one of the stories in the text. What are the characters in this story symbolic of? How does symbolism relate to Rand's whole thesis and to the central conflict of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Rand defends the concept of self-interest, especially in Atlas Shrugged. How does Rand defend self-interest? What kind of self-interest does she defend, if so? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
This section contains 176 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)