|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howard's foe thinks that he can beat men down with which emotion?
2. Howard says that what type of person is always persecuted?
3. What is Howard's occupation?
4. What does the man in Anthem want to achieve?
5. What consequence of collectivism does Rand describe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role symbolism plays in For the New Intellectual. Specifically focus on one of the stories in the text. What are the characters in this story symbolic of? How does symbolism relate to Rand's whole thesis and to the central conflict of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role of one of the archetypes Rand mentions, such as the Witch Doctor or Attila.
Essay Topic 3
Rand defends the concept of self-interest, especially in Atlas Shrugged. How does Rand defend self-interest? What kind of self-interest does she defend, if so? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
This section contains 165 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)