|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand says that new intellectuals must acquire which of the following?
2. Who is the man that Kira wants to save?
3. Who does Kira have a love affair with, even though she does not like him?
4. Who delivers a speech in We The Living?
5. Rand suggests that a culture should be judged by which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title We the Living to the contents of Chapter 2?
2. What kind of symbolism exists in Chapter 2?
3. What does Howard think the root of evil is?
4. How does Rand describe the United States of America?
5. What role does Andrei play in making an argument for Rand's claims?
6. What advice does Rand give to the new intellectuals?
7. What role does Rand describe industrialists as having?
8. What role do the archetypes Attila and Witch Doctor play?
9. What does Atlas Shrugged defend?
10. What is the purpose of For the New Intellectual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Rand prove that the United States is a dying society? What evidence does Rand use to support this claim? Is the claim legitimate?
Essay Topic 2
Is For the New Intellectual a piece of realism? Are the stories in the text realistic? What elements of fantasy are present?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of dystopia in For the New Intellectual. Which settings in the text are examples of dystopias? What characteristics make them a dystopia?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)