|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand suggests that a culture should be judged by which of the following?
2. Who does Kira have a love affair with, even though she does not like him?
3. What does Rand state that capitalism is incompatible with?
4. What kind of relationship does Rand describe the archetypes Attila and Witch Doctor as having?
5. What does Rand describe as being man's only tool of knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Howard view altruism?
2. Compare Hank and Francisco.
3. What struggle is portrayed in The Fountainhead?
4. How are all the stories in For the New Intellectual connected?
5. What is the main goal of the man in Anthem?
6. What is the purpose of For the New Intellectual?
7. What role does Rand describe industrialists as having?
8. Describe Ellsworth's role in the story.
9. How does Rand describe the United States of America?
10. Is Howard loyal? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Rand's book, For the New Intellectual, propaganda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Rand's use of titles. What effect do the titles have on the reader? How do the titles correspond to the stories? How do the titles influence the way the reader approaches the text?
Essay Topic 3
Rand defends the concept of self-interest, especially in Atlas Shrugged. How does Rand defend self-interest? What kind of self-interest does she defend, if so? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)