|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rand describe as a soldier of liberty?
2. Rand says that new intellectuals must acquire which of the following?
3. The goal of this book is to do which of the following, according to Rand?
4. What is the Witch Doctor's weapon?
5. New intellectuals, says Rand, should not give into which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the results of collectivism in Anthem?
2. What struggle is portrayed in The Fountainhead?
3. Why is the title Anthem significant?
4. Compare Hank and Francisco.
5. What role do the archetypes Attila and Witch Doctor play?
6. Describe Kira's relationships in Chapter 2.
7. What are the major themes in Atlas Shrugged?
8. Why is We the Living set in Soviet Russia?
9. Describe Howard's view of collectivists.
10. Describe the two choices Rand presents for a dying society.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What message does Rand send to the reader about industrial work and employment? What context clues are used to convey this message?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of dystopia in For the New Intellectual. Which settings in the text are examples of dystopias? What characteristics make them a dystopia?
Essay Topic 3
What characteristics of dystopia are found in the stories in this text? Why does Rand write about dystopia so often? Why is this theme significant to the message of the text?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)