|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Andrei passionate about?
2. What is the setting for We The Living?
3. What is the Witch Doctor's weapon?
4. Who does Rand describe as altruism's most perfect advocate?
5. What does Jeremy Bentham champion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict in Chapter 2, We the Living.
2. What advice does Rand give to the new intellectuals?
3. Describe the two choices Rand presents for a dying society.
4. What does Rand believe the role of intellectuals is?
5. Why is the title Anthem significant?
6. What does Rand believe the new intellectuals should do?
7. What are the results of collectivism in Anthem?
8. Rand states that culture should be judged by what criteria?
9. Why does Francisco say that money is society's virtue?
10. How are all the stories in For the New Intellectual connected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rand defends the concept of self-interest, especially in Atlas Shrugged. How does Rand defend self-interest? What kind of self-interest does she defend, if so? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Essay Topic 2
What is Rand's purpose in writing For the New Intellectual? How do you know? Is the purpose clear and straightforward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you consider Howard to be a loyal person? If he is loyal, who does he prove his loyalty to at the end of The Fountainhead?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)