|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rand believe capitalism wiped out?
2. What does Rand describe socialism as a revolt against?
3. Rand states that the only tools of cognition are not which of the following?
4. Rand suggests that a culture should be judged by which of the following?
5. What did Kant allegedly close philosophy to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Rand give to the new intellectuals?
2. What is the significance of the title We the Living to the contents of Chapter 2?
3. Describe Howard's view of collectivists.
4. Is Howard loyal? Why or why not?
5. What struggle is portrayed in The Fountainhead?
6. What does Rand believe the new intellectuals should do?
7. How does Rand describe the United States of America?
8. Why does Francisco say that money is society's virtue?
9. What revolution does Rand call for?
10. What kind of symbolism exists in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of one of the archetypes Rand mentions, such as the Witch Doctor or Attila.
Essay Topic 2
What characteristics of dystopia are found in the stories in this text? Why does Rand write about dystopia so often? Why is this theme significant to the message of the text?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of dystopia in For the New Intellectual. Which settings in the text are examples of dystopias? What characteristics make them a dystopia?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)