|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was We The Living published?
2. Rand says that new intellectuals must acquire which of the following?
3. What does Jeremy Bentham champion?
4. What was Andrei passionate about?
5. The injunction not to judge shows the climax of which of the following, according to Rand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hank's career.
2. Compare Hank and Francisco.
3. What is the main goal of the man in Anthem?
4. What revolution does Rand call for?
5. What is the significance of the title We the Living to the contents of Chapter 2?
6. What does Rand believe the new intellectuals should do?
7. Why is the title Anthem significant?
8. What role does Rand describe industrialists as having?
9. Is Howard loyal? Why or why not?
10. What are the results of collectivism in Anthem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does money play in each story? Does Rand defend money?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role symbolism plays in For the New Intellectual. Specifically focus on one of the stories in the text. What are the characters in this story symbolic of? How does symbolism relate to Rand's whole thesis and to the central conflict of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of protagonist and antagonist in each of the five chapters in For the New Intellectual. Which has a more significant impact on the reader?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)