|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which period did capitalism arise?
2. Andrei viewed citizens in what way?
3. Who is the man that Kira wants to save?
4. Rand states that to oppose views, one need which of the following?
5. The chief intellectual, according to Rand, is which type of person?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand describe capitalism?
2. What advice does Rand give to the new intellectuals?
3. Describe the conflict in Chapter 2, We the Living.
4. Describe Ellsworth's role in the story.
5. What are the results of collectivism in Anthem?
6. What role do the archetypes Attila and Witch Doctor play?
7. How does Howard view altruism?
8. Rand states that culture should be judged by what criteria?
9. Why does Howard blow up Cortlandt?
10. How does Rand describe the United States of America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of protagonist and antagonist in each of the five chapters in For the New Intellectual. Which has a more significant impact on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Rand defends the concept of self-interest, especially in Atlas Shrugged. How does Rand defend self-interest? What kind of self-interest does she defend, if so? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Essay Topic 3
How does Rand suggest a culture should be judged? Does Rand follow through with this technique in judging other cultures?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)