|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjective does Rand use to describe the USA's founding fathers?
2. What was Andrei passionate about?
3. Which adjective does Rand use to describe America's culture?
4. Who is the man that Kira wants to save?
5. New intellectuals, says Rand, should not give into which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Howard's view of collectivists.
2. What kind of symbolism exists in Chapter 2?
3. What is the main goal of the man in Anthem?
4. What does Howard think the root of evil is?
5. What role does Andrei play in making an argument for Rand's claims?
6. How does Rand describe the United States of America?
7. Why is the title Anthem significant?
8. Describe the conflict in Chapter 2, We the Living.
9. How are all the stories in For the New Intellectual connected?
10. What revolution does Rand call for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is For the New Intellectual a piece of realism? Are the stories in the text realistic? What elements of fantasy are present?
Essay Topic 2
Rand defends the concept of self-interest, especially in Atlas Shrugged. How does Rand defend self-interest? What kind of self-interest does she defend, if so? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Essay Topic 3
How does Rand suggest a culture should be judged? Does Rand follow through with this technique in judging other cultures?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)