|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which adjective does Rand use to describe America's culture?
2. What kind of revolution is needed, according to Rand?
3. Rand says that new intellectuals must acquire which of the following?
4. What kind of crime was Leo arrested for?
5. Rand states that collectivism is dead in which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rand describe capitalism?
2. What does Atlas Shrugged defend?
3. Is Howard loyal? Why or why not?
4. What is the significance of the title We the Living to the contents of Chapter 2?
5. Describe the conflict in Chapter 2, We the Living.
6. What revolution does Rand call for?
7. How are all the stories in For the New Intellectual connected?
8. Why does Howard blow up Cortlandt?
9. What is the main goal of the man in Anthem?
10. Who is Howard Roark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you consider Howard to be a loyal person? If he is loyal, who does he prove his loyalty to at the end of The Fountainhead?
Essay Topic 2
Rand defends the concept of self-interest, especially in Atlas Shrugged. How does Rand defend self-interest? What kind of self-interest does she defend, if so? Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
Essay Topic 3
What is Rand's purpose in writing For the New Intellectual? How do you know? Is the purpose clear and straightforward? Why or why not?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)