|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of revolution is needed, according to Rand?
2. Who delivers a speech in We The Living?
3. Freedom and philosophy first arose in which setting, according to Rand?
4. What does Rand describe as being man's only tool of knowledge?
5. What does Rand state that capitalism is incompatible with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Howard Roark?
2. What does Rand believe the role of intellectuals is?
3. How does Rand describe capitalism?
4. What is the significance of the title We the Living to the contents of Chapter 2?
5. Compare Hank and Francisco.
6. What does Rand believe the new intellectuals should do?
7. What does Howard think the root of evil is?
8. Why does Francisco say that money is society's virtue?
9. How does Rand describe the United States of America?
10. What are the results of collectivism in Anthem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellsworth, from The Fountainhead, describes reason as man's greatest weapon. Is this statement true? How does it relate to the rest of the text?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of dystopia in For the New Intellectual. Which settings in the text are examples of dystopias? What characteristics make them a dystopia?
Essay Topic 3
How does Rand suggest a culture should be judged? Does Rand follow through with this technique in judging other cultures?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)