|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chief intellectual, according to Rand, is which type of person?
2. What kind of relationship does Rand describe the archetypes Attila and Witch Doctor as having?
3. What is the Witch Doctor's weapon?
4. Who delivers a speech in We The Living?
5. Rand suggests that a nation's bodyguards are which type of people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Howard Roark?
2. Rand states that culture should be judged by what criteria?
3. How are all the stories in For the New Intellectual connected?
4. What does Howard think the root of evil is?
5. What is the main goal of the man in Anthem?
6. What role does Rand describe industrialists as having?
7. What role do the archetypes Attila and Witch Doctor play?
8. How does Rand describe capitalism?
9. What are the major themes in Atlas Shrugged?
10. Describe the two choices Rand presents for a dying society.
Essay Topic 1
Are the struggles that Rand presents between collectivism and individualism realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role of one of the archetypes Rand mentions, such as the Witch Doctor or Attila.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role symbolism plays in For the New Intellectual. Specifically focus on one of the stories in the text. What are the characters in this story symbolic of? How does symbolism relate to Rand's whole thesis and to the central conflict of the story?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)