|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kira feel about using Andrei?
2. What adjective does Rand use to describe the USA's founding fathers?
3. Who is the man that Kira wants to save?
4. What country does Rand believe is deluding itself?
5. The chief intellectual, according to Rand, is which type of person?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title We the Living to the contents of Chapter 2?
2. Describe Howard's view of collectivists.
3. Why does Howard blow up Cortlandt?
4. What are the results of collectivism in Anthem?
5. What advice does Rand give to the new intellectuals?
6. What role do the archetypes Attila and Witch Doctor play?
7. Describe Ellsworth's role in the story.
8. What does Howard think the root of evil is?
9. Describe the conflict in Chapter 2, We the Living.
10. Compare Hank and Francisco.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role symbolism plays in For the New Intellectual. Specifically focus on one of the stories in the text. What are the characters in this story symbolic of? How does symbolism relate to Rand's whole thesis and to the central conflict of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What message does Rand send to the reader about industrial work and employment? What context clues are used to convey this message?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Rand's use of titles. What effect do the titles have on the reader? How do the titles correspond to the stories? How do the titles influence the way the reader approaches the text?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)