|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rand describe socialism as a revolt against?
2. What does Rand state that capitalism is incompatible with?
3. What country does Rand believe is deluding itself?
4. Rand says that no man has the right to do which of the following?
5. What does Rand believe capitalism wiped out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are all the stories in For the New Intellectual connected?
2. How does Rand describe the United States of America?
3. What does Rand believe the role of intellectuals is?
4. What role do the archetypes Attila and Witch Doctor play?
5. Compare Hank and Francisco.
6. What role does Rand describe industrialists as having?
7. Describe Hank's career.
8. What does Atlas Shrugged defend?
9. Why does Howard blow up Cortlandt?
10. Why is We the Living set in Soviet Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are the struggles that Rand presents between collectivism and individualism realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role symbolism plays in For the New Intellectual. Specifically focus on one of the stories in the text. What are the characters in this story symbolic of? How does symbolism relate to Rand's whole thesis and to the central conflict of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What characteristics of dystopia are found in the stories in this text? Why does Rand write about dystopia so often? Why is this theme significant to the message of the text?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)