|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rand describe socialism as a revolt against?
2. The chief intellectual, according to Rand, is which type of person?
3. What is the setting for We The Living?
4. Who does Rand describe as altruism's most perfect advocate?
5. Who delivers a speech in We The Living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do the archetypes Attila and Witch Doctor play?
2. Describe Howard's view of collectivists.
3. Describe Ellsworth's role in the story.
4. How does Howard view altruism?
5. What is the significance of the title We the Living to the contents of Chapter 2?
6. How does Rand describe capitalism?
7. Why is the title Anthem significant?
8. Compare Hank and Francisco.
9. Describe Kira's relationships in Chapter 2.
10. How are all the stories in For the New Intellectual connected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of one of the archetypes Rand mentions, such as the Witch Doctor or Attila.
Essay Topic 2
Do you consider Howard to be a loyal person? If he is loyal, who does he prove his loyalty to at the end of The Fountainhead?
Essay Topic 3
What message does Rand send to the reader about industrial work and employment? What context clues are used to convey this message?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)