|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Posey tell her children when they would ask about patients she cared for who had died?
2. What did Miss Thelma do for the Benetto family when Chick was a little boy?
3. What three things did Posey once tell Chick he needed to be successful?
4. Why did Posey lose her job at the hospital?
5. From what team is the scout Chick meets after a game one day during college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
2. What explanation does Posey give to Chick about how people are dying call her to their sides?
3. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
4. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
5. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
6. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
7. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
8. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
9. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
10. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chick's father. Who is Chick's father? Why did Chick's father leave the family? How did divorce affect Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball play a role in Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball pull Chick and his father apart?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss baseball. Why does Chick decide to go out for baseball? Why does Chick continue to play baseball? Why does Chick not tell his mother that his father comes to his college baseball games? Why does Chick leave college to play professional baseball? How does Posey feel about Chick making this choice? Does this baseball career give Chick the life he wants? Why or why not? Why does Chick finally decide to quit baseball? Why does Chick's father pressure him into playing an old-timers game? What is significant about this game?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel:
1) Point of view
2) The setting
3) Language and meaning
4) The structure, including the use of lists and newspaper announcements throughout the novel.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)