|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a night in which Posey thought she heard an intruder in the night, why does Chick say he will be angry with his mother until he leaves that house?
2. Why would Chick pick up Roberta after school every day shortly after the divorce?
3. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
4. How does Posey react when Chick asks if he can be with her if he dies?
5. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Posey give to Chick about how people are dying call her to their sides?
2. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
3. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
4. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
5. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
6. What does the Italian woman say when she catches sight of Posey and Chick in her mirror?
7. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
8. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
9. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
10. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail, including examples from the novel:
1) Lessons Chick learned after spending the day with his dead mother
2) The time period in which the novel is set and how that might have influenced the behaviors of characters in the novel, both main characters and minor characters
3) The tone of the novel, including any changes to the tone that might take place as the plot continues to develop
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
3) Father-Son Relationships
4) Mother-Son Relationships
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism. Chick's father gives him a pair of old shoes that he once used while playing ball. Discuss the significance of these shoes and how the author uses them as a symbol of Chick's life and of his relationship with his father.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)