|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chick lie to his family about a trip out of town on his mother's birthday?
2. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
3. What does Posey stress to Chick as being the most important thing in his life while he is college?
4. What would Posey tell her children when they would ask about patients she cared for who had died?
5. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
2. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
3. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
4. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
5. What does the Italian woman say when she catches sight of Posey and Chick in her mirror?
6. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
7. Who gave Chick his nickname?
8. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
9. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
10. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whose voice does Chick hear on the phone at Rose's? When does Chick hear the voice again? Why does Chick believe he is the only one hearing the voice? Where is the voice coming from? Who does the voice belong to? What does this voice represent to Chick? What does Chick do about this voice?
Essay Topic 2
Who does Chick see standing over him after he jumps from the water tower? Why does Chick doubt what he is seeing? Who does Chick spend the rest of the day with? Why is this not possible? Why does the impossibility of this not clue Chick in to the idea that something is not right with him? What is the voice Chick continuously hears throughout the day? What does this voice mean to the reader? What does it ultimately mean to Chick? How does Chick respond to the voice?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following and explain how it is a turning point within the plot:
1) Chick's car accident
2) The visit to Miss Thelma
3) The visit to the home of Chick's father
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)