|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey say a child who is embarrassed by is mother is?
2. What does Posey tell Chick about how she happens to visit people who are dying?
3. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
4. Over dinner, what does Chick request his mother tell him about?
5. What does Chick learn about this woman that upsets him the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
2. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
3. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
4. Who gave Chick his nickname?
5. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
6. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
7. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
8. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
9. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
10. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss character development. Chick changes from the time he is a boy until he becomes an adult, then changes again as he becomes an adult and must deal with his mother's death. Discuss how these changes come about, what causes them, and how they affect Chick's overall attitude toward life. Discuss how these changes bring about other changes in Chick's life, such as his divorce, and how they affect his relationships with those he cares about.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss baseball. Why does Chick decide to go out for baseball? Why does Chick continue to play baseball? Why does Chick not tell his mother that his father comes to his college baseball games? Why does Chick leave college to play professional baseball? How does Posey feel about Chick making this choice? Does this baseball career give Chick the life he wants? Why or why not? Why does Chick finally decide to quit baseball? Why does Chick's father pressure him into playing an old-timers game? What is significant about this game?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)