|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice a third and final time?
2. What does Rose say when Posey asks about her children?
3. Who does Posey brag about as she works on Rose's hair?
4. How does Posey react when Chick asks if he can be with her if he dies?
5. What does Posey say to Chick when he asks why she never remarried after her divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
2. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
3. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
4. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
5. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
6. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
7. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
8. Who gave Chick his nickname?
9. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
10. What explanation does Posey give to Chick about how people are dying call her to their sides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
3) Father-Son Relationships
4) Mother-Son Relationships
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following and explain how it is a turning point within the plot:
1) Chick's car accident
2) The visit to Miss Thelma
3) The visit to the home of Chick's father
Essay Topic 3
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)