Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much longer after this injury did Chick continue to play baseball professionally?
2. What does Chick say is the best thing that ever happened to him in his career?
3. Why did Posey say she wanted to include a unique Jewish custom at her own funeral?
4. What does Chick notice as he, his mother, and Miss Thelma drive through town?
5. What news does Rose mention she hear on the radio shortly before Posey and Chick come to visit?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writer's style. Discuss in detail the writer's choice to structure his book in the way he has, the use of the newspaper clips and lists, his choice of words, his use of dialogue, and his choice of chapter names. Discuss how each of these choices affects the reader's overall impression of the novel and the themes within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rose and Miss Thelma. Who is Rose? Why is Posey visiting her home? How does Posey know Rose is about to die? What is Posey attempting to do about that fact? Why does Chick not question his mother's apparent knowledge of death? Who is Miss Thelma? In what capacity did she once work for the Benetto family? What business did Posey go into with Miss Thelma? Why do Thelma's grandchildren not see Chick? What does Chick think of this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)