|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Chick believe was one of the happiest of his mother's life?
2. What does Rose say is the only part of her that is still young?
3. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
4. What is the day that Chick wanted back?
5. In a note written to Chick on his wedding day, what does Posey say she knows Chick thinks of the notes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who gave Chick his nickname?
2. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
3. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
4. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
5. What does the Italian woman say when she catches sight of Posey and Chick in her mirror?
6. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
7. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
8. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
9. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
10. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss character development. Chick changes from the time he is a boy until he becomes an adult, then changes again as he becomes an adult and must deal with his mother's death. Discuss how these changes come about, what causes them, and how they affect Chick's overall attitude toward life. Discuss how these changes bring about other changes in Chick's life, such as his divorce, and how they affect his relationships with those he cares about.
Essay Topic 2
Who does Chick see standing over him after he jumps from the water tower? Why does Chick doubt what he is seeing? Who does Chick spend the rest of the day with? Why is this not possible? Why does the impossibility of this not clue Chick in to the idea that something is not right with him? What is the voice Chick continuously hears throughout the day? What does this voice mean to the reader? What does it ultimately mean to Chick? How does Chick respond to the voice?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss father-daughter relationships. How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his own relationship with his father? How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his relationship with his mother? Why is Chick's relationship with his daughter important to the plot of the novel? Who is Chick's daughter? How is Chick's sister's relationship with their mother different from Chick's relationship with their mother? Is this difference important to the developing plot? Explain.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)