|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Posey come to find out about the Italian woman?
2. What is the one thing Len Benetto ever said about Posey to Chick?
3. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
4. What does Miss Thelma's family think she is doing?
5. How did Catherine react two weeks after Posey's death to Chick's confession regarding the fake business trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
2. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
3. What does the Italian woman say when she catches sight of Posey and Chick in her mirror?
4. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
5. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
6. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
7. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
8. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
9. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
10. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writer's style. Discuss in detail the writer's choice to structure his book in the way he has, the use of the newspaper clips and lists, his choice of words, his use of dialogue, and his choice of chapter names. Discuss how each of these choices affects the reader's overall impression of the novel and the themes within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss character development. Chick changes from the time he is a boy until he becomes an adult, then changes again as he becomes an adult and must deal with his mother's death. Discuss how these changes come about, what causes them, and how they affect Chick's overall attitude toward life. Discuss how these changes bring about other changes in Chick's life, such as his divorce, and how they affect his relationships with those he cares about.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)