|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three things did Posey once tell Chick he needed to be successful?
2. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
3. How does Posey react when Chick asks if he can be with her if he dies?
4. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
5. After a night in which Posey thought she heard an intruder in the night, why does Chick say he will be angry with his mother until he leaves that house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
2. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
3. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
4. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
5. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
6. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
7. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
8. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
9. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
10. Who gave Chick his nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does Chick see standing over him after he jumps from the water tower? Why does Chick doubt what he is seeing? Who does Chick spend the rest of the day with? Why is this not possible? Why does the impossibility of this not clue Chick in to the idea that something is not right with him? What is the voice Chick continuously hears throughout the day? What does this voice mean to the reader? What does it ultimately mean to Chick? How does Chick respond to the voice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss father-daughter relationships. How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his own relationship with his father? How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his relationship with his mother? Why is Chick's relationship with his daughter important to the plot of the novel? Who is Chick's daughter? How is Chick's sister's relationship with their mother different from Chick's relationship with their mother? Is this difference important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)