|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three things did Posey once tell Chick he needed to be successful?
2. What does Chick learn about this woman that upsets him the most?
3. Why did Chick believe his father stopped coming around after he quit baseball?
4. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
5. Why does Chick lie to his family about a trip out of town on his mother's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
2. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
3. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
4. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
5. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
6. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
7. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
8. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
9. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
10. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss father-daughter relationships. How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his own relationship with his father? How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his relationship with his mother? Why is Chick's relationship with his daughter important to the plot of the novel? Who is Chick's daughter? How is Chick's sister's relationship with their mother different from Chick's relationship with their mother? Is this difference important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism. Chick's father gives him a pair of old shoes that he once used while playing ball. Discuss the significance of these shoes and how the author uses them as a symbol of Chick's life and of his relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)