|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey say children often do when they are hurting?
2. Why would Chick pick up Roberta after school every day shortly after the divorce?
3. What does Rose say when Posey asks about her children?
4. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
5. What is a short stay in baseball called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
2. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
3. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
4. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
5. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
6. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
7. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
8. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
9. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
10. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chick's father. Who is Chick's father? Why did Chick's father leave the family? How did divorce affect Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball play a role in Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball pull Chick and his father apart?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss father-daughter relationships. How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his own relationship with his father? How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his relationship with his mother? Why is Chick's relationship with his daughter important to the plot of the novel? Who is Chick's daughter? How is Chick's sister's relationship with their mother different from Chick's relationship with their mother? Is this difference important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail, including examples from the novel:
1) Lessons Chick learned after spending the day with his dead mother
2) The time period in which the novel is set and how that might have influenced the behaviors of characters in the novel, both main characters and minor characters
3) The tone of the novel, including any changes to the tone that might take place as the plot continues to develop
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)