|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chick's father asks to drive him home from a college baseball game, what does he do that causes Chick to feel all is right with the world?
2. What does Chick say when his mother asks about his wife, Catherine?
3. What does Posey say a child who is embarrassed by is mother is?
4. What news does Rose mention she hear on the radio shortly before Posey and Chick come to visit?
5. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
2. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
3. What explanation does Posey give to Chick about how people are dying call her to their sides?
4. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
5. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
6. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
7. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
8. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
9. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
10. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail, including examples from the novel:
1) Lessons Chick learned after spending the day with his dead mother
2) The time period in which the novel is set and how that might have influenced the behaviors of characters in the novel, both main characters and minor characters
3) The tone of the novel, including any changes to the tone that might take place as the plot continues to develop
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism. Chick's father gives him a pair of old shoes that he once used while playing ball. Discuss the significance of these shoes and how the author uses them as a symbol of Chick's life and of his relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)