|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what team is the scout Chick meets after a game one day during college?
2. What does the caller say when Chick answers the phone at Rose's house?
3. What did chick always think was important to a person's memory?
4. Why does Chick admit he continued to play baseball all through his childhood?
5. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
2. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
3. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
4. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
5. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
6. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
7. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
8. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
9. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
10. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does Chick see standing over him after he jumps from the water tower? Why does Chick doubt what he is seeing? Who does Chick spend the rest of the day with? Why is this not possible? Why does the impossibility of this not clue Chick in to the idea that something is not right with him? What is the voice Chick continuously hears throughout the day? What does this voice mean to the reader? What does it ultimately mean to Chick? How does Chick respond to the voice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Chick want to commit suicide? What causes Chick to become that depressed? Does Chick's decision have anything to do with either of his parents? In what way? Does Chick's wife or daughter have anything to do with his decision to commit suicide? Explain. When does Chick realize suicide is not the right answer? Why does Chick decide he must live? How much credit can Chick's mother take for helping Chick change his mind? Was Chick's mother really there with him or was she just a figment of his damaged brain? Explain.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)