|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
2. What profession did Chick get into after baseball?
3. What did this caller in Section 4: Part 1 want from Chick?
4. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
5. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writer's style. Discuss in detail the writer's choice to structure his book in the way he has, the use of the newspaper clips and lists, his choice of words, his use of dialogue, and his choice of chapter names. Discuss how each of these choices affects the reader's overall impression of the novel and the themes within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following and explain how it is a turning point within the plot:
1) Chick's car accident
2) The visit to Miss Thelma
3) The visit to the home of Chick's father
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick Benetto. Who is Chick Benetto? How does Chick deal with the death of his mother? How did his father's actions keep Chick from being with his mother at the end of her life? How did Chick feel about this situation? Why? Why did Chick's marriage fall apart? Why did Chick's daughter cut him out of her life? What are the consequences of these actions?
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)