|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chick come to accept the events taking place after he jumped from the water tower?
2. What profession did Chick get into after baseball?
3. Who does Chick claim was a ghost throughout his childhood?
4. What does Posey stress to Chick as being the most important thing in his life while he is college?
5. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
2. What does the Italian woman say when she catches sight of Posey and Chick in her mirror?
3. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
4. What explanation does Posey give to Chick about how people are dying call her to their sides?
5. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
6. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
7. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
8. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
9. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
10. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss character development. Chick changes from the time he is a boy until he becomes an adult, then changes again as he becomes an adult and must deal with his mother's death. Discuss how these changes come about, what causes them, and how they affect Chick's overall attitude toward life. Discuss how these changes bring about other changes in Chick's life, such as his divorce, and how they affect his relationships with those he cares about.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss baseball. Why does Chick decide to go out for baseball? Why does Chick continue to play baseball? Why does Chick not tell his mother that his father comes to his college baseball games? Why does Chick leave college to play professional baseball? How does Posey feel about Chick making this choice? Does this baseball career give Chick the life he wants? Why or why not? Why does Chick finally decide to quit baseball? Why does Chick's father pressure him into playing an old-timers game? What is significant about this game?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick's father. Who is Chick's father? Why did Chick's father leave the family? How did divorce affect Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball play a role in Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball pull Chick and his father apart?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)