|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick consider his best day during his college years?
2. What does Chick believe about his current circumstances now that he knows he is somewhere in limbo between life and death?
3. What happens when Miss Thelma's grandchildren come into her bedroom?
4. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
5. What is the one thing Len Benetto ever said about Posey to Chick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
2. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
3. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
4. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
5. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
6. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
7. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
8. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
9. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
10. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following and explain how it is a turning point within the plot:
1) Chick's car accident
2) The visit to Miss Thelma
3) The visit to the home of Chick's father
Essay Topic 2
Discuss baseball. Why does Chick decide to go out for baseball? Why does Chick continue to play baseball? Why does Chick not tell his mother that his father comes to his college baseball games? Why does Chick leave college to play professional baseball? How does Posey feel about Chick making this choice? Does this baseball career give Chick the life he wants? Why or why not? Why does Chick finally decide to quit baseball? Why does Chick's father pressure him into playing an old-timers game? What is significant about this game?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism. Chick's father gives him a pair of old shoes that he once used while playing ball. Discuss the significance of these shoes and how the author uses them as a symbol of Chick's life and of his relationship with his father.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)