|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dish does this Italian woman make that Posey thinks Len Benetto always wanted over Posey's version of the same dish?
2. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
3. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
4. Why did Posey say she wanted to include a unique Jewish custom at her own funeral?
5. Who does Chick claim was a ghost throughout his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
2. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
3. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
4. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
5. What explanation does Posey give to Chick about how people are dying call her to their sides?
6. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
7. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
8. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
9. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
10. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism. Chick's father gives him a pair of old shoes that he once used while playing ball. Discuss the significance of these shoes and how the author uses them as a symbol of Chick's life and of his relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss baseball. Why does Chick decide to go out for baseball? Why does Chick continue to play baseball? Why does Chick not tell his mother that his father comes to his college baseball games? Why does Chick leave college to play professional baseball? How does Posey feel about Chick making this choice? Does this baseball career give Chick the life he wants? Why or why not? Why does Chick finally decide to quit baseball? Why does Chick's father pressure him into playing an old-timers game? What is significant about this game?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)