|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Len Benetto ever said about Posey to Chick?
2. How does Chick come to accept the events taking place after he jumped from the water tower?
3. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
4. Who does Posey brag about as she works on Rose's hair?
5. How much longer after this injury did Chick continue to play baseball professionally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
2. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
3. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
4. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
5. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
6. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
7. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
8. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
9. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
10. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss father-daughter relationships. How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his own relationship with his father? How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his relationship with his mother? Why is Chick's relationship with his daughter important to the plot of the novel? Who is Chick's daughter? How is Chick's sister's relationship with their mother different from Chick's relationship with their mother? Is this difference important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Pick one pair of characters and discuss their relationship to one another in detail, using examples from the novel:
1) Chick and Posey
2) Chick and his father
3) Chick and Marie
4) Chick and his wife
5) Chick and his sister
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)