|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught Chick how to shave?
2. Who called Posey's house one afternoon while Chick was there in Section 4: Part 1?
3. How did Catherine react two weeks after Posey's death to Chick's confession regarding the fake business trip?
4. What does Chick learn about his mother while he and she are visiting with Miss Thelma?
5. What does Rose say when Posey asks about her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Italian woman say when she catches sight of Posey and Chick in her mirror?
2. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
3. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
4. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
5. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
6. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
7. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
8. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
9. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
10. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whose voice does Chick hear on the phone at Rose's? When does Chick hear the voice again? Why does Chick believe he is the only one hearing the voice? Where is the voice coming from? Who does the voice belong to? What does this voice represent to Chick? What does Chick do about this voice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writer's style. Discuss in detail the writer's choice to structure his book in the way he has, the use of the newspaper clips and lists, his choice of words, his use of dialogue, and his choice of chapter names. Discuss how each of these choices affects the reader's overall impression of the novel and the themes within the novel.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)