|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much longer after this injury did Chick continue to play baseball professionally?
2. What does Chick say is the best thing that ever happened to him in his career?
3. Why did Posey say she wanted to include a unique Jewish custom at her own funeral?
4. What does Chick notice as he, his mother, and Miss Thelma drive through town?
5. What news does Rose mention she hear on the radio shortly before Posey and Chick come to visit?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail, including examples from the novel:
1) Lessons Chick learned after spending the day with his dead mother
2) The time period in which the novel is set and how that might have influenced the behaviors of characters in the novel, both main characters and minor characters
3) The tone of the novel, including any changes to the tone that might take place as the plot continues to develop
Essay Topic 3
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)