|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of scholarship did Chick get to help pay for college?
2. What is the day that Chick wanted back?
3. After a night in which Posey thought she heard an intruder in the night, why does Chick say he will be angry with his mother until he leaves that house?
4. How does Chick Benetto feel that he lost his father?
5. Why does Posey tell Chick in Section 3: Part 2 that she did not want to ask for money from his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
2. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
3. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
4. Who gave Chick his nickname?
5. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
6. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
7. What explanation does Posey give to Chick about how people are dying call her to their sides?
8. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
9. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
10. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel:
1) Point of view
2) The setting
3) Language and meaning
4) The structure, including the use of lists and newspaper announcements throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism. Chick's father gives him a pair of old shoes that he once used while playing ball. Discuss the significance of these shoes and how the author uses them as a symbol of Chick's life and of his relationship with his father.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)