|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick's mother wear the day she drives him to his first day of college?
2. How did Catherine react two weeks after Posey's death to Chick's confession regarding the fake business trip?
3. Why does Chick lie to his family about a trip out of town on his mother's birthday?
4. Who called Posey's house one afternoon while Chick was there in Section 4: Part 1?
5. What three things did Posey once tell Chick he needed to be successful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
2. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
3. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
4. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
5. What does the Italian woman say when she catches sight of Posey and Chick in her mirror?
6. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
7. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
8. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
9. What explanation does Posey give to Chick about how people are dying call her to their sides?
10. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Chick want to commit suicide? What causes Chick to become that depressed? Does Chick's decision have anything to do with either of his parents? In what way? Does Chick's wife or daughter have anything to do with his decision to commit suicide? Explain. When does Chick realize suicide is not the right answer? Why does Chick decide he must live? How much credit can Chick's mother take for helping Chick change his mind? Was Chick's mother really there with him or was she just a figment of his damaged brain? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following and explain how it is a turning point within the plot:
1) Chick's car accident
2) The visit to Miss Thelma
3) The visit to the home of Chick's father
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)