|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
2. Why does Chick admit he continued to play baseball all through his childhood?
3. How did Catherine react two weeks after Posey's death to Chick's confession regarding the fake business trip?
4. What does Posey say to Chick when he asks why she never remarried after her divorce?
5. What does Chick believe about his current circumstances now that he knows he is somewhere in limbo between life and death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
2. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
3. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
4. What does the Italian woman say when she catches sight of Posey and Chick in her mirror?
5. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
6. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
7. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
8. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
9. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
10. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Chick want to commit suicide? What causes Chick to become that depressed? Does Chick's decision have anything to do with either of his parents? In what way? Does Chick's wife or daughter have anything to do with his decision to commit suicide? Explain. When does Chick realize suicide is not the right answer? Why does Chick decide he must live? How much credit can Chick's mother take for helping Chick change his mind? Was Chick's mother really there with him or was she just a figment of his damaged brain? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rose and Miss Thelma. Who is Rose? Why is Posey visiting her home? How does Posey know Rose is about to die? What is Posey attempting to do about that fact? Why does Chick not question his mother's apparent knowledge of death? Who is Miss Thelma? In what capacity did she once work for the Benetto family? What business did Posey go into with Miss Thelma? Why do Thelma's grandchildren not see Chick? What does Chick think of this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)