|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick learn about his mother while he and she are visiting with Miss Thelma?
2. How does Chick Benetto feel that he lost his father?
3. What did Chick's fourteen-year-old daughter write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
4. What did this caller in Section 4: Part 1 want from Chick?
5. Why does Chick calls his mother a hypocrite when she finds an item hidden in his sock drawer when he is only fourteen?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel:
1) Point of view
2) The setting
3) Language and meaning
4) The structure, including the use of lists and newspaper announcements throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
This section contains 1,565 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)