|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
2. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice a third and final time?
3. What kind of scholarship did Chick get to help pay for college?
4. What did chick always think was important to a person's memory?
5. What does Posey stress to Chick as being the most important thing in his life while he is college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
2. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
3. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
4. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
5. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
6. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
7. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
8. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
9. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
10. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rose and Miss Thelma. Who is Rose? Why is Posey visiting her home? How does Posey know Rose is about to die? What is Posey attempting to do about that fact? Why does Chick not question his mother's apparent knowledge of death? Who is Miss Thelma? In what capacity did she once work for the Benetto family? What business did Posey go into with Miss Thelma? Why do Thelma's grandchildren not see Chick? What does Chick think of this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
3) Father-Son Relationships
4) Mother-Son Relationships
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)