|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chick Benetto feel that he lost his father?
2. How did Catherine react two weeks after Posey's death to Chick's confession regarding the fake business trip?
3. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
4. What does Chick learn about his mother while he and she are visiting with Miss Thelma?
5. Why does Chick admit he continued to play baseball all through his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
2. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
3. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
4. Who gave Chick his nickname?
5. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
6. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
7. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
8. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
9. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
10. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one pair of characters and discuss their relationship to one another in detail, using examples from the novel:
1) Chick and Posey
2) Chick and his father
3) Chick and Marie
4) Chick and his wife
5) Chick and his sister
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail, including examples from the novel:
1) Lessons Chick learned after spending the day with his dead mother
2) The time period in which the novel is set and how that might have influenced the behaviors of characters in the novel, both main characters and minor characters
3) The tone of the novel, including any changes to the tone that might take place as the plot continues to develop
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)