|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey find in Chick's room when he is fourteen that causes a battle between the two?
2. What request did Posey make for her own funeral after seeing the custom at Jewish funerals?
3. What is the day that Chick wanted back?
4. How does Posey react when Chick asks if he can be with her if he dies?
5. What does Posey tell Chick when he confesses his guilt to her on their one more day together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
2. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
3. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
4. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
5. Who gave Chick his nickname?
6. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
7. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
8. What explanation does Posey give to Chick about how people are dying call her to their sides?
9. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
10. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Chick want to commit suicide? What causes Chick to become that depressed? Does Chick's decision have anything to do with either of his parents? In what way? Does Chick's wife or daughter have anything to do with his decision to commit suicide? Explain. When does Chick realize suicide is not the right answer? Why does Chick decide he must live? How much credit can Chick's mother take for helping Chick change his mind? Was Chick's mother really there with him or was she just a figment of his damaged brain? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss father-daughter relationships. How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his own relationship with his father? How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his relationship with his mother? Why is Chick's relationship with his daughter important to the plot of the novel? Who is Chick's daughter? How is Chick's sister's relationship with their mother different from Chick's relationship with their mother? Is this difference important to the developing plot? Explain.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)