|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Posey tell Chick in Section 3: Part 2 that she did not want to ask for money from his father?
2. What does the caller say when Chick answers the phone at Rose's house?
3. What is a short stay in baseball called?
4. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
5. What does Posey say to Chick when he asks why she never remarried after her divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
2. Who gave Chick his nickname?
3. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
4. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
5. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
6. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
7. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
8. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
9. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
10. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one pair of characters and discuss their relationship to one another in detail, using examples from the novel:
1) Chick and Posey
2) Chick and his father
3) Chick and Marie
4) Chick and his wife
5) Chick and his sister
Essay Topic 2
Who does Chick see standing over him after he jumps from the water tower? Why does Chick doubt what he is seeing? Who does Chick spend the rest of the day with? Why is this not possible? Why does the impossibility of this not clue Chick in to the idea that something is not right with him? What is the voice Chick continuously hears throughout the day? What does this voice mean to the reader? What does it ultimately mean to Chick? How does Chick respond to the voice?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writer's style. Discuss in detail the writer's choice to structure his book in the way he has, the use of the newspaper clips and lists, his choice of words, his use of dialogue, and his choice of chapter names. Discuss how each of these choices affects the reader's overall impression of the novel and the themes within the novel.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)