|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator claim the story from this novel belongs to?
2. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
3. What did Chick do about the peeping tom?
4. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
5. What does Chick think about his visit to his mother two years after her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
2. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
3. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
4. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
5. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
6. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
7. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
8. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
9. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
10. What game does the narrator learn that Chick Benetto once played as a professional player?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does Chick see standing over him after he jumps from the water tower? Why does Chick doubt what he is seeing? Who does Chick spend the rest of the day with? Why is this not possible? Why does the impossibility of this not clue Chick in to the idea that something is not right with him? What is the voice Chick continuously hears throughout the day? What does this voice mean to the reader? What does it ultimately mean to Chick? How does Chick respond to the voice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism. Chick's father gives him a pair of old shoes that he once used while playing ball. Discuss the significance of these shoes and how the author uses them as a symbol of Chick's life and of his relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rose and Miss Thelma. Who is Rose? Why is Posey visiting her home? How does Posey know Rose is about to die? What is Posey attempting to do about that fact? Why does Chick not question his mother's apparent knowledge of death? Who is Miss Thelma? In what capacity did she once work for the Benetto family? What business did Posey go into with Miss Thelma? Why do Thelma's grandchildren not see Chick? What does Chick think of this?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)