|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
2. What does Chick feel is unbalanced in the lists he made regarding his and his mother's love for one another?
3. Who told Chick he could only be a momma's boy or a daddy's boy, not both?
4. Why does Chick sneak out of work in Section 1?
5. What one word was the only one Chick could manage to say when his mother, who had been dead eight years, entered the kitchen in Section 2: Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
2. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
3. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
4. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
5. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
6. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
7. What after school activity did Chick pick even after his father left?
8. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
9. What game does the narrator learn that Chick Benetto once played as a professional player?
10. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss father-daughter relationships. How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his own relationship with his father? How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his relationship with his mother? Why is Chick's relationship with his daughter important to the plot of the novel? Who is Chick's daughter? How is Chick's sister's relationship with their mother different from Chick's relationship with their mother? Is this difference important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
3) Father-Son Relationships
4) Mother-Son Relationships
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick Benetto. Who is Chick Benetto? How does Chick deal with the death of his mother? How did his father's actions keep Chick from being with his mother at the end of her life? How did Chick feel about this situation? Why? Why did Chick's marriage fall apart? Why did Chick's daughter cut him out of her life? What are the consequences of these actions?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)