|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did a librarian tell Chick he could not read 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA by Jules Verne?
2. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
3. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
4. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
5. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
2. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
3. Why does Chick return to his family home? What does he find there?
4. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
5. Why did Chick have a problem with how his mother would leave him at school?
6. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
7. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
8. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
9. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
10. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chick's father. Who is Chick's father? Why did Chick's father leave the family? How did divorce affect Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball play a role in Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball pull Chick and his father apart?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)