|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
2. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
3. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
4. What family event was Chick Benetto not invited to?
5. What did Posey and Len fight about most often when Chick was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
2. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
3. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
4. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
5. Who gave Chick his nickname?
6. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
7. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
8. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
9. Who is the narrator?
10. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Chick want to commit suicide? What causes Chick to become that depressed? Does Chick's decision have anything to do with either of his parents? In what way? Does Chick's wife or daughter have anything to do with his decision to commit suicide? Explain. When does Chick realize suicide is not the right answer? Why does Chick decide he must live? How much credit can Chick's mother take for helping Chick change his mind? Was Chick's mother really there with him or was she just a figment of his damaged brain? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one pair of characters and discuss their relationship to one another in detail, using examples from the novel:
1) Chick and Posey
2) Chick and his father
3) Chick and Marie
4) Chick and his wife
5) Chick and his sister
This section contains 1,934 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)