|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of story does the narrator suggest this novel is?
2. What did Posey want Chick to do as an adult?
3. What does the narrator claim to have spent part of her career doing?
4. Why does Chick sneak out of work in Section 1?
5. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
2. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
3. Why does Chick return to his family home? What does he find there?
4. What offends Chick when a man calls his mother a divorcee?
5. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
6. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
7. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
8. Why did Chick have a problem with how his mother would leave him at school?
9. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
10. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chick Benetto. Who is Chick Benetto? How does Chick deal with the death of his mother? How did his father's actions keep Chick from being with his mother at the end of her life? How did Chick feel about this situation? Why? Why did Chick's marriage fall apart? Why did Chick's daughter cut him out of her life? What are the consequences of these actions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
3) Father-Son Relationships
4) Mother-Son Relationships
Essay Topic 3
Discuss character development. Chick changes from the time he is a boy until he becomes an adult, then changes again as he becomes an adult and must deal with his mother's death. Discuss how these changes come about, what causes them, and how they affect Chick's overall attitude toward life. Discuss how these changes bring about other changes in Chick's life, such as his divorce, and how they affect his relationships with those he cares about.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)