|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
2. How does Chick react to the announcement that he was a blessing his mother had waited a long time to receive?
3. Why did Posey begin working as a hairstylist when Chick was a child?
4. What did the narrator stop to do on the way back to the airport in the Introduction?
5. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What after school activity did Chick pick even after his father left?
2. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
3. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
4. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
5. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
6. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
7. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
8. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
9. Why does Chick return to his family home? What does he find there?
10. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Chick want to commit suicide? What causes Chick to become that depressed? Does Chick's decision have anything to do with either of his parents? In what way? Does Chick's wife or daughter have anything to do with his decision to commit suicide? Explain. When does Chick realize suicide is not the right answer? Why does Chick decide he must live? How much credit can Chick's mother take for helping Chick change his mind? Was Chick's mother really there with him or was she just a figment of his damaged brain? Explain.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)