Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey create out of toilet paper for Chick's Halloween costume when he is six?
2. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
3. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
4. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
5. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
2. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
3. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
4. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
5. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
6. Who gave Chick his nickname?
7. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
8. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
9. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
10. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writer's style. Discuss in detail the writer's choice to structure his book in the way he has, the use of the newspaper clips and lists, his choice of words, his use of dialogue, and his choice of chapter names. Discuss how each of these choices affects the reader's overall impression of the novel and the themes within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick Benetto. Who is Chick Benetto? How does Chick deal with the death of his mother? How did his father's actions keep Chick from being with his mother at the end of her life? How did Chick feel about this situation? Why? Why did Chick's marriage fall apart? Why did Chick's daughter cut him out of her life? What are the consequences of these actions?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)