|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings food to Chick with instructions that he take it home to his family shortly after his parents' divorce?
2. What musical object does Chick compare small towns to?
3. How late for work was Chick on the Monday morning after receiving the evidence of the family event he missed?
4. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
5. Why does the narrator tell the reader in the Introduction that they might not believe the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
2. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
3. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
4. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
5. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
6. What causes Chick's mother to stop playing her favorite record?
7. What offends Chick when a man calls his mother a divorcee?
8. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
9. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
10. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rose and Miss Thelma. Who is Rose? Why is Posey visiting her home? How does Posey know Rose is about to die? What is Posey attempting to do about that fact? Why does Chick not question his mother's apparent knowledge of death? Who is Miss Thelma? In what capacity did she once work for the Benetto family? What business did Posey go into with Miss Thelma? Why do Thelma's grandchildren not see Chick? What does Chick think of this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)