|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does the narrator regret telling he/she currently work as?
2. What did the narrator stop to do on the way back to the airport in the Introduction?
3. What does the main character think the narrator wants to know about him?
4. What kind of story does the narrator suggest this novel is?
5. What phrase does Chick feel fits him well?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Chick's mother to stop playing her favorite record?
2. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
3. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
4. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
5. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
6. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
7. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
8. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
9. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
10. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the writer's style. Discuss in detail the writer's choice to structure his book in the way he has, the use of the newspaper clips and lists, his choice of words, his use of dialogue, and his choice of chapter names. Discuss how each of these choices affects the reader's overall impression of the novel and the themes within the novel.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)