|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chick say his hometown is called Pepperville Beach?
2. Why does Chick believe Posey lost all her friends after the divorce?
3. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
4. What did Chick do about the peeping tom?
5. When is the first time Chick heard the word divorcee as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
2. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
3. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
4. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
5. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
6. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
7. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
8. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
9. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
10. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following and explain how it is a turning point within the plot:
1) Chick's car accident
2) The visit to Miss Thelma
3) The visit to the home of Chick's father
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in detail, including examples from the novel:
1) Lessons Chick learned after spending the day with his dead mother
2) The time period in which the novel is set and how that might have influenced the behaviors of characters in the novel, both main characters and minor characters
3) The tone of the novel, including any changes to the tone that might take place as the plot continues to develop
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rose and Miss Thelma. Who is Rose? Why is Posey visiting her home? How does Posey know Rose is about to die? What is Posey attempting to do about that fact? Why does Chick not question his mother's apparent knowledge of death? Who is Miss Thelma? In what capacity did she once work for the Benetto family? What business did Posey go into with Miss Thelma? Why do Thelma's grandchildren not see Chick? What does Chick think of this?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)