|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
2. Which did Chick chose to be as a small child, a daddy's boy or a momma's boy?
3. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
4. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
5. Why does Chick claim he did not check on the driver of the truck involved in his accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What after school activity did Chick pick even after his father left?
2. Why does Chick return to his family home? What does he find there?
3. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
4. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
5. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
6. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
7. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
8. What word did Chick's mother help Chick find the definition for despite his father's disapproval of her help?
9. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
10. What causes Chick's mother to stop playing her favorite record?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chick Benetto. Who is Chick Benetto? How does Chick deal with the death of his mother? How did his father's actions keep Chick from being with his mother at the end of her life? How did Chick feel about this situation? Why? Why did Chick's marriage fall apart? Why did Chick's daughter cut him out of her life? What are the consequences of these actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss baseball. Why does Chick decide to go out for baseball? Why does Chick continue to play baseball? Why does Chick not tell his mother that his father comes to his college baseball games? Why does Chick leave college to play professional baseball? How does Posey feel about Chick making this choice? Does this baseball career give Chick the life he wants? Why or why not? Why does Chick finally decide to quit baseball? Why does Chick's father pressure him into playing an old-timers game? What is significant about this game?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)