|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
2. Why did the doctor who delivered Chick tell Posey she had to deliver by dinner time?
3. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
4. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
5. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
2. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
3. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
4. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
5. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
6. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
7. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
8. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
9. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
10. Why does Chick return to his family home? What does he find there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does Chick see standing over him after he jumps from the water tower? Why does Chick doubt what he is seeing? Who does Chick spend the rest of the day with? Why is this not possible? Why does the impossibility of this not clue Chick in to the idea that something is not right with him? What is the voice Chick continuously hears throughout the day? What does this voice mean to the reader? What does it ultimately mean to Chick? How does Chick respond to the voice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rose and Miss Thelma. Who is Rose? Why is Posey visiting her home? How does Posey know Rose is about to die? What is Posey attempting to do about that fact? Why does Chick not question his mother's apparent knowledge of death? Who is Miss Thelma? In what capacity did she once work for the Benetto family? What business did Posey go into with Miss Thelma? Why do Thelma's grandchildren not see Chick? What does Chick think of this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss baseball. Why does Chick decide to go out for baseball? Why does Chick continue to play baseball? Why does Chick not tell his mother that his father comes to his college baseball games? Why does Chick leave college to play professional baseball? How does Posey feel about Chick making this choice? Does this baseball career give Chick the life he wants? Why or why not? Why does Chick finally decide to quit baseball? Why does Chick's father pressure him into playing an old-timers game? What is significant about this game?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)