|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
2. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
3. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
4. What causes Chick to crash his car in Section 1?
5. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
2. Who does Posey tell Chick the Italian woman wanted to forgive?
3. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
4. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
5. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
6. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
7. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
8. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
9. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
10. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who does Chick see standing over him after he jumps from the water tower? Why does Chick doubt what he is seeing? Who does Chick spend the rest of the day with? Why is this not possible? Why does the impossibility of this not clue Chick in to the idea that something is not right with him? What is the voice Chick continuously hears throughout the day? What does this voice mean to the reader? What does it ultimately mean to Chick? How does Chick respond to the voice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chick's father. Who is Chick's father? Why did Chick's father leave the family? How did divorce affect Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball play a role in Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball pull Chick and his father apart?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
This section contains 1,969 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)