|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one thing did Chick notice his parents did together that seemed to make them both happy?
2. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
3. Why does Chick say his hometown is called Pepperville Beach?
4. Why does Chick believe Posey lost all her friends after the divorce?
5. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
2. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
3. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
4. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
5. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
6. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
7. What after school activity did Chick pick even after his father left?
8. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
9. Why does Chick return to his family home? What does he find there?
10. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following and explain how it is a turning point within the plot:
1) Chick's car accident
2) The visit to Miss Thelma
3) The visit to the home of Chick's father
Essay Topic 2
Discuss father-daughter relationships. How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his own relationship with his father? How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his relationship with his mother? Why is Chick's relationship with his daughter important to the plot of the novel? Who is Chick's daughter? How is Chick's sister's relationship with their mother different from Chick's relationship with their mother? Is this difference important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss symbolism. Chick's father gives him a pair of old shoes that he once used while playing ball. Discuss the significance of these shoes and how the author uses them as a symbol of Chick's life and of his relationship with his father.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)