|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chick and his sister use to carve their initials into their mother's kitchen table?
2. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
3. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
4. What did Chick do about the peeping tom?
5. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
2. What offends Chick when a man calls his mother a divorcee?
3. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
4. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
5. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
6. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
7. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
8. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
9. Why did Chick have a problem with how his mother would leave him at school?
10. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Chick want to commit suicide? What causes Chick to become that depressed? Does Chick's decision have anything to do with either of his parents? In what way? Does Chick's wife or daughter have anything to do with his decision to commit suicide? Explain. When does Chick realize suicide is not the right answer? Why does Chick decide he must live? How much credit can Chick's mother take for helping Chick change his mind? Was Chick's mother really there with him or was she just a figment of his damaged brain? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one pair of characters and discuss their relationship to one another in detail, using examples from the novel:
1) Chick and Posey
2) Chick and his father
3) Chick and Marie
4) Chick and his wife
5) Chick and his sister
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)