|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chick refuse to give up baseball even after his father has left the family?
2. What phrase does Chick feel fits him well?
3. What did Chick and his sister use to carve their initials into their mother's kitchen table?
4. What did Posey and Len fight about most often when Chick was a child?
5. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
2. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
3. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
4. What after school activity did Chick pick even after his father left?
5. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
6. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
7. What offends Chick when a man calls his mother a divorcee?
8. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
9. Why does Chick Benetto drive toward his home town?
10. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whose voice does Chick hear on the phone at Rose's? When does Chick hear the voice again? Why does Chick believe he is the only one hearing the voice? Where is the voice coming from? Who does the voice belong to? What does this voice represent to Chick? What does Chick do about this voice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism. Chick's father gives him a pair of old shoes that he once used while playing ball. Discuss the significance of these shoes and how the author uses them as a symbol of Chick's life and of his relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)