Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey create out of toilet paper for Chick's Halloween costume when he is six?
2. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
3. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
4. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
5. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
2. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
3. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
4. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
5. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
6. Who gave Chick his nickname?
7. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
8. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
9. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
10. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
Discuss the writer's style. Discuss in detail the writer's choice to structure his book in the way he has, the use of the newspaper clips and lists, his choice of words, his use of dialogue, and his choice of chapter names. Discuss how each of these choices affects the reader's overall impression of the novel and the themes within the novel.
Why does Chick want to commit suicide? What causes Chick to become that depressed? Does Chick's decision have anything to do with either of his parents? In what way? Does Chick's wife or daughter have anything to do with his decision to commit suicide? Explain. When does Chick realize suicide is not the right answer? Why does Chick decide he must live? How much credit can Chick's mother take for helping Chick change his mind? Was Chick's mother really there with him or was she just a figment of his damaged brain? Explain.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)