Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which did Chick chose to be as a small child, a daddy's boy or a momma's boy?
2. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
3. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
4. What word does Posey show Chick carved into the tree?
5. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Posey tell Chick the Italian woman wanted to forgive?
2. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
3. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
4. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
5. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
6. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
7. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
8. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
9. Who is the narrator?
10. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
3) Father-Son Relationships
4) Mother-Son Relationships
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel:
1) Point of view
2) The setting
3) Language and meaning
4) The structure, including the use of lists and newspaper announcements throughout the novel.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)