|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Posey stop listening to her favorite song?
2. How does Chick react to the announcement that he was a blessing his mother had waited a long time to receive?
3. What did Chick and his sister use to carve their initials into their mother's kitchen table?
4. What does the narrator claim to have spent part of her career doing?
5. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Chick have a problem with how his mother would leave him at school?
2. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
3. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
4. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
5. What offends Chick when a man calls his mother a divorcee?
6. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
7. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
8. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
9. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
10. Why does Chick return to his family home? What does he find there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chick Benetto. Who is Chick Benetto? How does Chick deal with the death of his mother? How did his father's actions keep Chick from being with his mother at the end of her life? How did Chick feel about this situation? Why? Why did Chick's marriage fall apart? Why did Chick's daughter cut him out of her life? What are the consequences of these actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss father-daughter relationships. How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his own relationship with his father? How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his relationship with his mother? Why is Chick's relationship with his daughter important to the plot of the novel? Who is Chick's daughter? How is Chick's sister's relationship with their mother different from Chick's relationship with their mother? Is this difference important to the developing plot? Explain.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)