|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Chick he could only be a momma's boy or a daddy's boy, not both?
2. Who came to Chick's defense when the librarian refused to allow him to check out the book he wanted?
3. Why did the doctor who delivered Chick tell Posey she had to deliver by dinner time?
4. How did Posey often spend holidays after the divorce?
5. Why does the narrator tell the reader in the Introduction that they might not believe the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What game does the narrator learn that Chick Benetto once played as a professional player?
2. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
3. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
4. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
5. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
6. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
7. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
8. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
9. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
10. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writer's style. Discuss in detail the writer's choice to structure his book in the way he has, the use of the newspaper clips and lists, his choice of words, his use of dialogue, and his choice of chapter names. Discuss how each of these choices affects the reader's overall impression of the novel and the themes within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss baseball. Why does Chick decide to go out for baseball? Why does Chick continue to play baseball? Why does Chick not tell his mother that his father comes to his college baseball games? Why does Chick leave college to play professional baseball? How does Posey feel about Chick making this choice? Does this baseball career give Chick the life he wants? Why or why not? Why does Chick finally decide to quit baseball? Why does Chick's father pressure him into playing an old-timers game? What is significant about this game?
This section contains 1,967 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)