|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
2. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
3. What does Chick feel is unbalanced in the lists he made regarding his and his mother's love for one another?
4. Who supposedly attempted to kill himself/herself?
5. Where does Chick go after he wakes from his fall from the water tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
2. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
3. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
4. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
5. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
6. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
7. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
8. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
9. What word did Chick's mother help Chick find the definition for despite his father's disapproval of her help?
10. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss ghost stories. Why does the narrator suggest this novel might be a ghost story? Is this novel a ghost story? Who are the ghosts? Are they scary ghosts? Is this novel meant to frighten the reader? Explain. How do the ghosts in this novel change the course of the main character's life? Is this a good change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail, citing examples from the novel:
1) Point of view
2) The setting
3) Language and meaning
4) The structure, including the use of lists and newspaper announcements throughout the novel.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)