|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick Benetto blame for the destruction of his marriage?
2. Why did Posey begin working as a hairstylist when Chick was a child?
3. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
4. Why does Chick Benetto believe he was not invited to this family event?
5. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
2. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
3. What causes Chick's mother to stop playing her favorite record?
4. What game does the narrator learn that Chick Benetto once played as a professional player?
5. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
6. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
7. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
8. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
9. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
10. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the writer's style. Discuss in detail the writer's choice to structure his book in the way he has, the use of the newspaper clips and lists, his choice of words, his use of dialogue, and his choice of chapter names. Discuss how each of these choices affects the reader's overall impression of the novel and the themes within the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Whose voice does Chick hear on the phone at Rose's? When does Chick hear the voice again? Why does Chick believe he is the only one hearing the voice? Where is the voice coming from? Who does the voice belong to? What does this voice represent to Chick? What does Chick do about this voice?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)