|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey say when Chick tells her she died?
2. Who dresses up as Santa on the first Christmas after Len Benetto left his family?
3. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
4. When is the first time Chick heard the word divorcee as a child?
5. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
2. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
3. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
4. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
5. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
6. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
7. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
8. Why does Chick Benetto drive toward his home town?
9. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
10. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss baseball. Why does Chick decide to go out for baseball? Why does Chick continue to play baseball? Why does Chick not tell his mother that his father comes to his college baseball games? Why does Chick leave college to play professional baseball? How does Posey feel about Chick making this choice? Does this baseball career give Chick the life he wants? Why or why not? Why does Chick finally decide to quit baseball? Why does Chick's father pressure him into playing an old-timers game? What is significant about this game?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick's father. Who is Chick's father? Why did Chick's father leave the family? How did divorce affect Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball play a role in Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball pull Chick and his father apart?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)