|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Posey begin working as a hairstylist when Chick was a child?
2. What one thing did Chick notice his parents did together that seemed to make them both happy?
3. Why does Chick sneak out of work in Section 1?
4. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
5. Who does Chick call after sneaking out of work in Section 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
2. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
3. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
4. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
5. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
6. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
7. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
8. Why did Chick have a problem with how his mother would leave him at school?
9. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
10. What offends Chick when a man calls his mother a divorcee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in detail, including examples from the novel:
1) Lessons Chick learned after spending the day with his dead mother
2) The time period in which the novel is set and how that might have influenced the behaviors of characters in the novel, both main characters and minor characters
3) The tone of the novel, including any changes to the tone that might take place as the plot continues to develop
Essay Topic 2
Discuss baseball. Why does Chick decide to go out for baseball? Why does Chick continue to play baseball? Why does Chick not tell his mother that his father comes to his college baseball games? Why does Chick leave college to play professional baseball? How does Posey feel about Chick making this choice? Does this baseball career give Chick the life he wants? Why or why not? Why does Chick finally decide to quit baseball? Why does Chick's father pressure him into playing an old-timers game? What is significant about this game?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)