|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick stop at a convenience store to buy in Section 1?
2. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
3. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
4. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
5. During a night of heavy drinking, where does Chick decide to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offends Chick when a man calls his mother a divorcee?
2. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
3. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
4. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
5. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
6. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
7. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
8. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
9. What after school activity did Chick pick even after his father left?
10. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Chick want to commit suicide? What causes Chick to become that depressed? Does Chick's decision have anything to do with either of his parents? In what way? Does Chick's wife or daughter have anything to do with his decision to commit suicide? Explain. When does Chick realize suicide is not the right answer? Why does Chick decide he must live? How much credit can Chick's mother take for helping Chick change his mind? Was Chick's mother really there with him or was she just a figment of his damaged brain? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss father-daughter relationships. How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his own relationship with his father? How is Chick's relationship with his daughter like his relationship with his mother? Why is Chick's relationship with his daughter important to the plot of the novel? Who is Chick's daughter? How is Chick's sister's relationship with their mother different from Chick's relationship with their mother? Is this difference important to the developing plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)