Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey create out of toilet paper for Chick's Halloween costume when he is six?
2. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
3. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
4. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
5. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
2. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
3. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
4. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
5. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
6. Who gave Chick his nickname?
7. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
8. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
9. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
10. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
Discuss Rose and Miss Thelma. Who is Rose? Why is Posey visiting her home? How does Posey know Rose is about to die? What is Posey attempting to do about that fact? Why does Chick not question his mother's apparent knowledge of death? Who is Miss Thelma? In what capacity did she once work for the Benetto family? What business did Posey go into with Miss Thelma? Why do Thelma's grandchildren not see Chick? What does Chick think of this?
Discuss one of the following in detail, including examples from the novel:
1) Lessons Chick learned after spending the day with his dead mother
2) The time period in which the novel is set and how that might have influenced the behaviors of characters in the novel, both main characters and minor characters
3) The tone of the novel, including any changes to the tone that might take place as the plot continues to develop
Discuss Chick's lists. Why does Chick keep a list of the things his mother did to stand up for him and the times he failed to stand up for his mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Chick's relationship with is mother? What do these lists tell the reader about Posey's feelings for her son? Do these lists help Chick in any way? Were these lists kept before or after the accident that brought Chick one more day with his mother?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)