|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chick call after sneaking out of work in Section 1?
2. What did Posey and Len fight about most often when Chick was a child?
3. What sport does the narrator claim the main character once played?
4. How did Roberta hide the carvings she and Chick made in their mother's kitchen table when their mother returned from work?
5. The narrator says every family is a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
2. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
3. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
4. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
5. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
6. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
7. What after school activity did Chick pick even after his father left?
8. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
9. What word did Chick's mother help Chick find the definition for despite his father's disapproval of her help?
10. What offends Chick when a man calls his mother a divorcee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes in detail, citing examples from the novel:
3) Father-Son Relationships
4) Mother-Son Relationships
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick Benetto. Who is Chick Benetto? How does Chick deal with the death of his mother? How did his father's actions keep Chick from being with his mother at the end of her life? How did Chick feel about this situation? Why? Why did Chick's marriage fall apart? Why did Chick's daughter cut him out of her life? What are the consequences of these actions?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)