|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
2. What did Posey and Len fight about most often when Chick was a child?
3. How many visits does Posey tell Chick she must make that day?
4. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
5. What did Len hope his son would do as an adult?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
2. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
3. What happens the last time Chick hears the strange voice?
4. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
5. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
6. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
7. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
8. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
9. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
10. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following and explain how it is a turning point within the plot:
1) Chick's car accident
2) The visit to Miss Thelma
3) The visit to the home of Chick's father
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rose and Miss Thelma. Who is Rose? Why is Posey visiting her home? How does Posey know Rose is about to die? What is Posey attempting to do about that fact? Why does Chick not question his mother's apparent knowledge of death? Who is Miss Thelma? In what capacity did she once work for the Benetto family? What business did Posey go into with Miss Thelma? Why do Thelma's grandchildren not see Chick? What does Chick think of this?
This section contains 1,982 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)