|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
2. What does Chick notice his car ran into and is now stopped underneath?
3. Who does Chick call after sneaking out of work in Section 1?
4. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
5. What did Len hope his son would do as an adult?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
2. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
3. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
4. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
5. Why did Chick have a problem with how his mother would leave him at school?
6. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
7. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
8. What game does the narrator learn that Chick Benetto once played as a professional player?
9. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
10. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Posey. What is Posey's real name? What is her profession? How does Chick feel when he learns that his mother cleaned houses to help pay for his college tuition? Why is Chick surprised by this? What does this choice say about Posey and her love for her children? What does this choice say about Posey's life after her divorce? Why did Posey stop working as a nurse? What does that say about Posey's morals? About the morals of others? Why did Posey never remarry?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chick Benetto. Who is Chick Benetto? How does Chick deal with the death of his mother? How did his father's actions keep Chick from being with his mother at the end of her life? How did Chick feel about this situation? Why? Why did Chick's marriage fall apart? Why did Chick's daughter cut him out of her life? What are the consequences of these actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chick's father. Who is Chick's father? Why did Chick's father leave the family? How did divorce affect Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball play a role in Chick's relationship with his father? How did baseball pull Chick and his father apart?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)