|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the first time Chick heard the word divorcee as a child?
2. What does Chick stop at a convenience store to buy in Section 1?
3. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
4. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
5. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the last time Chick hears the strange voice?
2. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
3. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
4. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
5. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
6. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
7. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
8. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
9. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
10. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrator. Why does the narrator not tell the reader who she is at the beginning of the novel? Why does the narrator suggest she has only just met Chick Benetto when in fact she has known him her whole life? Who is the narrator? What role does the narrator play in Chick Benetto's attempted suicide? What caused the narrator to play this role in Chick Benetto's suicide? What changes in the narrator's relationship with Chick Benetto between the death of Posey, the near death of Chick Benetto, and Chick's telling of this story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism. Chick's father gives him a pair of old shoes that he once used while playing ball. Discuss the significance of these shoes and how the author uses them as a symbol of Chick's life and of his relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 3
Pick one pair of characters and discuss their relationship to one another in detail, using examples from the novel:
1) Chick and Posey
2) Chick and his father
3) Chick and Marie
4) Chick and his wife
5) Chick and his sister
This section contains 2,008 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)