|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
(a) She no longer wants to be a part of his life.
(b) He is a drunk and a loser.
(c) She is ashamed of him.
(d) She is not as great as his mother recalls.
2. Who does Posey brag about as she works on Rose's hair?
(a) Roberta, her daughter.
(b) Catherine, her daughter-in-law.
(c) Chick, her son.
(d) Marie, her granddaughter.
3. What does Posey tell Chick when he confesses his guilt to her on their one more day together?
(a) That she is angry with him for not being there with her.
(b) That all is forgiven and he should forgive himself.
(c) That he deserves what he gets.
(d) That children should not have to choose between parents.
4. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
(a) Call Roberta.
(b) Make a third visit.
(c) Walk on the beach.
(d) Have desert.
5. In a note written to Chick on his wedding day, what does Posey say she knows Chick thinks of the notes?
(a) That they are silly.
(b) That they are well written.
(c) That they are stupid and a waste of time.
(d) That they are special.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
2. Who is the first woman Chick and Posey visit that day?
3. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
4. Why does Chick not allow his mother to go up to his dorm room with him?
5. Why does Chick admit he continued to play baseball all through his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
2. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
3. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
4. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
5. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
6. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
7. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
8. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
9. Who gave Chick his nickname?
10. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)