|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Posey say she wanted to include a unique Jewish custom at her own funeral?
(a) To add something unique to her funeral.
(b) To help the mourners let the body go and celebrate the spirit.
(c) To reduce the cost of the funeral.
(d) To keep the mourners from getting bored.
2. How much longer after this injury did Chick continue to play baseball professionally?
(a) Six years.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Sixteen months.
3. Why does Chick calls his mother a hypocrite when she finds an item hidden in his sock drawer when he is only fourteen?
(a) She drinks.
(b) She smokes.
(c) She does drugs.
(d) She looks at pornography.
4. What does Rose say when Posey asks about her children?
(a) They come to see her daily.
(b) They never come to see her.
(c) They are all doing well, but in distant cities.
(d) They check on her once a week, like a chore.
5. What does Posey tell Chick about how she happens to visit people who are dying?
(a) Posey is a sort of guardian angel who goes to help people make the transition to death easier.
(b) Posey is called to people she offended in life to make amends as they die.
(c) God tells her who to visit.
(d) They think of her and that calls her to their sides.
Short Answer Questions
1. What voice does Chick hear as he goes to answer the door in his mother's house after their visit to Rose?
2. What request did Posey make for her own funeral after seeing the custom at Jewish funerals?
3. What does Chick say is the best thing that ever happened to him in his career?
4. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
5. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
2. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
3. Whose voice does Chick hear as he goes to open the door at his mother's house in Section 3, Part 1?
4. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
5. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
6. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
7. Who does Chick say the ghost in his life truly was?
8. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
9. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
10. Who gave Chick his nickname?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)