|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chick notice as he, his mother, and Miss Thelma drive through town?
(a) Old people are everywhere and they all seem to know his mother.
(b) There are no people out and about.
(c) He does not know any of the people they see, young or old.
(d) The town has changed since he last visited.
2. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice a third and final time?
(a) Chick sees a white light and is separated from his mother.
(c) Chick discovers it has all been a dream.
(d) Chick returns to reality.
3. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
(a) His mother has cancer.
(b) His mother had a heart attack.
(c) His mother fell and broke her hip.
(d) His mother was in a car accident.
4. What does Chick learn about his mother while he and she are visiting with Miss Thelma?
(a) That his mother lived with Miss Thelma for a short time in the past.
(b) That his mother paid for Miss Thelma's cancer treatments.
(c) That his mother and Miss Thelma cleaned houses together.
(d) That Miss Thelma is a distant relative.
5. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
(a) That Maria found her.
(b) That he was not there.
(c) He could have saved her.
(d) That she died alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
2. Why does Chick admit he continued to play baseball all through his childhood?
3. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
4. What does Rose say when Posey asks about her children?
5. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
2. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
3. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
4. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
5. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
6. What does Miss Thelma claim will keep her memory alive for years to come?
7. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
8. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
9. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
10. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)