|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chick believe about his current circumstances now that he knows he is somewhere in limbo between life and death?
(a) That he has had a mental breakdown.
(b) That he is already dead.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) That he is really hallucinating.
2. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
(a) Len Benetto's mother.
(b) Len Benetto's wife.
(c) Len Benetto's sister.
(d) Len Benetto's cousin.
3. What three things did Posey once tell Chick he needed to be successful?
(a) Hard work, good money, and intelligence.
(b) Belief, hard work, and love.
(c) Intelligence, hard work, and good support.
(d) Good support, lots of money, and love.
4. Why does Chick admit he continued to play baseball all through his childhood?
(a) He hoped it would help him become rich and famous.
(b) He hoped it would teach him the values his father should have taught him.
(c) He hoped it would bring his father back into his life.
(d) He hoped it would mean a way out of his mother's house.
5. When Chick's father asks to drive him home from a college baseball game, what does he do that causes Chick to feel all is right with the world?
(a) Explains his decision for not seeing Chick throughout his childhood.
(b) Offers to pay for a new glove.
(c) Shows respect for the coach.
(d) Apologizes for leaving the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chick's fourteen-year-old daughter write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
2. How did Catherine react two weeks after Posey's death to Chick's confession regarding the fake business trip?
3. What does Chick not want to be, what frightens him about his death?
4. What news does Rose mention she hear on the radio shortly before Posey and Chick come to visit?
5. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
2. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
3. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
4. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
5. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
6. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
7. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
8. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
9. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
10. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)