|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the caller say when Chick answers the phone at Rose's house?
(a) He asks for Rose's husband, but he is dead.
(b) He speaks Chick's name and says there was an accident.
(c) He tries to sell Chick life insurance.
(d) He says he is Rose's husband, but her husband is dead.
2. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
(a) An elbow injury.
(b) A broken leg.
(c) A broken arm.
(d) A knee injury.
3. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
(a) She no longer wants to be a part of his life.
(b) She is not as great as his mother recalls.
(c) She is ashamed of him.
(d) He is a drunk and a loser.
4. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
(a) Miss Thelma.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
5. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
(a) That he was not there.
(b) That she died alone.
(c) He could have saved her.
(d) That Maria found her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey stress to Chick as being the most important thing in his life while he is college?
2. What does Chick imagine his mother saying to him as he performs the Jewish custom she requested at her funeral?
3. What would Posey tell her children when they would ask about patients she cared for who had died?
4. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
5. What does Chick consider his best day during his college years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
2. Why was Posey not impressed with Chick's baseball scholarship?
3. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
4. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
5. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
6. What does Chick hear when he answers the phone at Rose's house?
7. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
8. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
9. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
10. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)