|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chick Benetto feel that he lost his father?
(a) Chick drank too much and his father disapproved.
(b) Chick's father disliked Chick's wife.
(c) Chick was a poor salesman.
(d) Chick turned his back on baseball.
2. What does Miss Thelma say will be her legacy after she dies?
(a) Her reputation for hard work.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her grandchildren's laughter.
3. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice a third and final time?
(a) Chick sees a white light and is separated from his mother.
(c) Chick discovers it has all been a dream.
(d) Chick returns to reality.
4. What would Posey tell her children when they would ask about patients she cared for who had died?
(a) That they no longer felt pain.
(b) That they no longer needed her care.
(c) That they were in a better place.
(d) That they went home.
5. What did Chick's fourteen-year-old daughter write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
(a) That she is angry with God for stealing her grandmother away.
(b) That she hopes her grandmother will finally find peace in heaven.
(c) When heaven is done with her, she would like her grandmother back.
(d) That she thinks this whole thing is stupid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
2. What does Chick believe about his current circumstances now that he knows he is somewhere in limbo between life and death?
3. What request did Posey make for her own funeral after seeing the custom at Jewish funerals?
4. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
5. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Italian woman say when she catches sight of Posey and Chick in her mirror?
2. What job does Chick learn his mother did in order to help pay his college tuition?
3. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
4. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
5. What did Posey often do for some of the patients in the hospital where she worked as a nurse?
6. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
7. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
8. Who gave Chick his nickname?
9. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
10. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)