|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Chick believe his father stopped coming around after he quit baseball?
(a) Len was ashamed of Chick.
(b) Len moved away.
(c) Baseball was their only connection.
(d) Len did not like Chick's wife.
2. From what team is the scout Chick meets after a game one day during college?
(a) Pittsburg Pirates.
(b) Texas Rangers.
(c) Chicago White Socks.
(d) St. Louis Cardinals.
3. When Chick's father asks to drive him home from a college baseball game, what does he do that causes Chick to feel all is right with the world?
(a) Apologizes for leaving the family.
(b) Offers to pay for a new glove.
(c) Shows respect for the coach.
(d) Explains his decision for not seeing Chick throughout his childhood.
4. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
(a) She is ashamed of him.
(b) She no longer wants to be a part of his life.
(c) She is not as great as his mother recalls.
(d) He is a drunk and a loser.
5. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
(a) The marriage itself.
(b) His wife.
(d) His children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why would Chick pick up Roberta after school every day shortly after the divorce?
2. Who does Chick claim was a ghost throughout his childhood?
3. Why did Miss Thelma call Chick chickadoodle-do?
4. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
5. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Posey suggest Len got involved with this second woman while he was in the war, even though he was already engaged to Posey?
2. Why does Chick suspect he is suffering from temporary insanity?
3. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
4. To whom does Posey take Chick to visit after dinner?
5. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
6. Who gave Chick his nickname?
7. On whom does Chick blame the break up of his marriage?
8. What explanation does Posey give to Chick about how people are dying call her to their sides?
9. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
10. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)