|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Posey come to find out about the Italian woman?
(a) She heard a rumor from a neighbor.
(b) She got a phone call from the woman one day.
(c) She went to Collinswood where Len Benetto bought her a house.
(d) She saw a picture of the woman in Len Benetto's wallet.
2. What is the one thing Len Benetto ever said about Posey to Chick?
(a) She was a hardheaded woman.
(b) She was unfaithful.
(c) She was a nag.
(d) She was selfish.
3. What does Posey find in Chick's room when he is fourteen that causes a battle between the two?
4. Who is the first woman Chick and Posey visit that day?
(a) The Italian woman.
(c) Miss Thelma.
5. What does Chick learn about this woman that upsets him the most?
(a) She was a grandmother he never met.
(b) She gave his father a son.
(c) She was a sports reporter who could have helped his career.
(d) She was the reason his father left the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did chick always think was important to a person's memory?
2. Why did Chick believe his father stopped coming around after he quit baseball?
3. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
4. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
5. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Posey and Chick talk about over dinner?
2. What does the Italian woman say when she catches sight of Posey and Chick in her mirror?
3. Why did Chick not want his mother to go to his dorm room with him?
4. Who encourages Chick to leave town the day of his mother's birthday? Why?
5. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
6. What does Chick claim he does not want to be?
7. What do they call a short stay in professional baseball?
8. Who gave Chick his nickname?
9. What does Chick admit embarrassed him about his mother as a child?
10. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)