|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings food to Chick with instructions that he take it home to his family shortly after his parents' divorce?
(a) A local teacher.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A couple of nuns.
(d) A priest.
2. Why does Chick sneak out of work in Section 1?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He is called away by a family emergency.
(c) He is hung over and depressed.
(d) He is unable to concentrate.
3. When is the first time Chick heard the word divorcee as a child?
(a) When his father said it about his mother.
(b) When his father said it after a baseball game.
(c) When his mother said it to a friend.
(d) When the housekeeper said it to his mother.
4. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
(a) His sister.
(b) His fourteen year old daughter.
(c) His ten year old son.
(d) His wife.
5. What musical object does Chick compare small towns to?
(a) Clarinet reed.
(b) Piano key.
(c) Violin string.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick notice his car ran into and is now stopped underneath?
2. Who supposedly played in the World Series?
3. How late for work was Chick on the Monday morning after receiving the evidence of the family event he missed?
4. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
5. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
2. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
3. Why does Chick Benetto drive toward his home town?
4. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
5. What game does the narrator learn that Chick Benetto once played as a professional player?
6. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
7. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
8. Why did Chick have a problem with how his mother would leave him at school?
9. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
10. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)