|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Len hope his son would do as an adult?
(a) Become a doctor.
(b) Take over his liquor stores.
(c) Make the major leagues.
(d) Become a dentist.
2. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
(a) To make it more believable.
(b) To make it more suspenseful.
(c) To add to the mystery.
(d) To make it more romantic.
3. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
(a) At their favorite Italian restaurant.
(b) In a note scribbled in class.
(c) In a letter from Italy.
(d) At the same place where they met.
4. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
5. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
(a) Personal notes and a journal.
(b) Newspaper articles and death certificates.
(c) Personal notes and legal papers.
(d) A diary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
2. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
3. Who brings food to Chick with instructions that he take it home to his family shortly after his parents' divorce?
4. Who supposedly attempted to kill himself/herself?
5. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
2. Why does Chick return to his family home? What does he find there?
3. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
4. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
5. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
6. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
7. What after school activity did Chick pick even after his father left?
8. Why does Chick Benetto drive toward his home town?
9. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
10. Why did Chick have a problem with how his mother would leave him at school?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)