|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
(a) A flower filled cemetery.
(b) Kids playing on the beach.
(c) Old men tossing a ball around.
(d) Kids in purple t-shirts pitching and hitting.
2. What did Chick's mother often slip to Chick whenever she dropped him off somewhere?
3. Why did Posey begin working as a hairstylist when Chick was a child?
(a) She liked to help old ladies look good for their husbands.
(b) She preferred hairstyling to nursing.
(c) She was good at it and she needed a job.
(d) She wanted more flexible hours.
4. Why does Chick refuse to give up baseball even after his father has left the family?
(a) He likes baseball.
(b) He likes the coach.
(c) He wants to annoy his mother.
(d) He still wants a connection to his father.
5. What one thing did Chick notice his parents did together that seemed to make them both happy?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
2. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
3. What does the narrator claim to have spent part of her career doing?
4. What does Posey say when Chick tells her she died?
5. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
2. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
3. Why does Chick return to his family home? What does he find there?
4. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
5. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
6. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
7. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
8. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
9. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
10. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)