|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the doctor who delivered Chick tell Posey she had to deliver by dinner time?
(a) He did not want her to go hungry.
(b) He had another patient scheduled for surgery.
(c) His wife was making fish sticks.
(d) It cost extra if he had to work through dinner.
2. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
(a) A list.
(b) A scheme to get rich.
(c) A plan.
3. During a night of heavy drinking, where does Chick decide to go?
(a) New York, his daughter's home.
(b) Pepperville Beach, his hometown.
(c) Los Angeles, his sister's home.
(d) Boston, his wife's hometown.
4. What does Chick stop at a convenience store to buy in Section 1?
(c) Soda pop.
5. What does Chick notice his car ran into and is now stopped underneath?
(a) A truck.
(b) A billboard for a new breakfast cereal.
(c) A school bus.
(d) A billboard for a Chevrolet dealership.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
2. How does Chick react to the announcement that he was a blessing his mother had waited a long time to receive?
3. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
4. Who does Chick call after sneaking out of work in Section 1?
5. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
2. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
3. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
4. Why does Chick Benetto drive toward his home town?
5. What causes Chick's mother to stop playing her favorite record?
6. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
7. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
8. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
9. What word did Chick's mother help Chick find the definition for despite his father's disapproval of her help?
10. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)