|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
(a) Wedding photos.
(b) A letter.
(c) A delayed invitation.
(d) A newspaper announcement.
2. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
(a) Newspaper articles and death certificates.
(b) A diary.
(c) Personal notes and a journal.
(d) Personal notes and legal papers.
3. Who brings food to Chick with instructions that he take it home to his family shortly after his parents' divorce?
(a) A local teacher.
(b) A priest.
(c) A couple of nuns.
(d) A neighbor.
4. How late for work was Chick on the Monday morning after receiving the evidence of the family event he missed?
(a) Three hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Four hours.
5. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
(a) To make his sister laugh.
(b) To teach him that you have to show a bully whose boss.
(c) To teach the dog not to mess with people.
(d) To make him laugh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
2. Why did the narrator come to Pepperville Beach?
3. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
4. What does Posey create out of toilet paper for Chick's Halloween costume when he is six?
5. How did Posey often spend holidays after the divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chick Benetto drive toward his home town?
2. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
3. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
4. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
5. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
6. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
7. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
8. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
9. What after school activity did Chick pick even after his father left?
10. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)