|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chick refuse to give up baseball even after his father has left the family?
(a) He wants to annoy his mother.
(b) He likes the coach.
(c) He likes baseball.
(d) He still wants a connection to his father.
2. Why did a librarian tell Chick he could not read 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA by Jules Verne?
(a) He was disrespectful to books.
(b) It was to easy for him.
(c) He did not have a library card.
(d) It was too hard for him.
3. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
(a) In a letter from Italy.
(b) At their favorite Italian restaurant.
(c) In a note scribbled in class.
(d) At the same place where they met.
4. What does Chick notice his car ran into and is now stopped underneath?
(a) A school bus.
(b) A billboard for a Chevrolet dealership.
(c) A billboard for a new breakfast cereal.
(d) A truck.
5. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
Short Answer Questions
1. How late for work was Chick on the Monday morning after receiving the evidence of the family event he missed?
2. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
3. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
4. How does Chick react to the announcement that he was a blessing his mother had waited a long time to receive?
5. What does Chick think about his visit to his mother two years after her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
2. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
3. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
4. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
5. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
6. What offends Chick when a man calls his mother a divorcee?
7. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
8. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
9. What word did Chick's mother help Chick find the definition for despite his father's disapproval of her help?
10. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)