|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
(a) He thinks Posey is trying to trick them.
(b) He misses his dad and does not want his mother to try to take her place.
(c) He believes that believing in Santa is hurting Roberta.
(d) He thinks believing in Santa is childish.
2. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
(a) The line of no return that leads to suicide.
(b) The line between morality and sin.
(c) The line between life and death.
(d) The line between right and wrong.
3. What one thing did Chick notice his parents did together that seemed to make them both happy?
4. Why does Chick sneak out of work in Section 1?
(a) He is unable to concentrate.
(b) He is sick.
(c) He is hung over and depressed.
(d) He is called away by a family emergency.
5. Why does the narrator tell the reader in the Introduction that they might not believe the story?
(a) The narrator does not believe the story.
(b) The story revolves around the main characters one day visit with his dead mother.
(c) The story is not true.
(d) The story is unusual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey say when Chick tells her she died?
2. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
3. Where does Chick go after he wakes from his fall from the water tower?
4. Who does Chick call after sneaking out of work in Section 1?
5. What kind of story does the narrator suggest this novel is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
2. Who encouraged Chick to drop out of college?
3. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
4. Who does Posey tell Chick the Italian woman wanted to forgive?
5. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
6. What after school activity did Chick pick even after his father left?
7. What metaphor did Posey often use for the death of her patients when she was a nurse?
8. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
9. What did Marie write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
10. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)