|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
(a) To make him laugh.
(b) To teach him that you have to show a bully whose boss.
(c) To make his sister laugh.
(d) To teach the dog not to mess with people.
2. Who does Chick call after sneaking out of work in Section 1?
(a) His father, Len.
(b) His mother, Posey.
(c) His daughter, Marie.
(d) His ex-wife, Catherine.
3. The narrator says every family is a what?
(a) A romance.
(b) A drama.
(c) A joke.
(d) A ghost story.
4. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
(a) Personal notes and a journal.
(b) A diary.
(c) Newspaper articles and death certificates.
(d) Personal notes and legal papers.
5. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
(a) She is surprised by his unusual gratitude.
(b) She wants to hear his voice.
(c) She is hard of hearing.
(d) She wants to savor the words.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
2. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
3. What does Posey say when Chick tells her she died?
4. Why did the narrator come to Pepperville Beach?
5. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What game does the narrator learn that Chick Benetto once played as a professional player?
2. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
3. Why does Chick Benetto drive toward his home town?
4. When is the first time Chick's mother leaves him a special note?
5. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
6. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
7. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
8. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
9. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
10. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)