|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
(a) To help reduce the friction at home.
(b) To spend time with his biological family.
(c) To visit with liquor distributors and to manage his new store in a town an hour away.
(d) To spend time with his friends.
2. Who told Chick he could only be a momma's boy or a daddy's boy, not both?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) Miss Thelma.
(c) His father, Len Benetto.
(d) His mother, Posey Benetto.
3. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
(a) To make it more believable.
(b) To make it more suspenseful.
(c) To add to the mystery.
(d) To make it more romantic.
4. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
(a) His ten year old son.
(b) His wife.
(c) His sister.
(d) His fourteen year old daughter.
5. The narrator says every family is a what?
(a) A drama.
(b) A romance.
(c) A joke.
(d) A ghost story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
2. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
3. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
4. Why did a librarian tell Chick he could not read 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA by Jules Verne?
5. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
2. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
3. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
4. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
5. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
6. What game does the narrator learn that Chick Benetto once played as a professional player?
7. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
8. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
9. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
10. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)