|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What musical object does Chick compare small towns to?
(b) Piano key.
(c) Clarinet reed.
(d) Violin string.
2. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
(a) A bum.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His mother.
(d) A homeless woman.
3. What does the narrator claim to have spent part of her career doing?
(a) Writing mysteries.
(b) Writing about sports.
(c) Writing ghost stories.
(d) Writing romances.
4. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
(a) Eat faster.
(b) Eat less.
(c) Eat slower.
(d) Eat more.
5. Why does Chick claim he did not check on the driver of the truck involved in his accident?
(a) He did not want to be arrested for drunk driving.
(b) He could see the driver was already out of the car and calling the police.
(c) He could see the driver was fine.
(d) He did not have the courage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one word was the only one Chick could manage to say when his mother, who had been dead eight years, entered the kitchen in Section 2: Part 2?
2. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
3. What does Chick think about his visit to his mother two years after her death?
4. What does Chick feel is unbalanced in the lists he made regarding his and his mother's love for one another?
5. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
2. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice once again?
3. Why does Chick Benetto drive toward his home town?
4. Why was Posey fired from her job as a nurse?
5. What word did Chick's mother help Chick find the definition for despite his father's disapproval of her help?
6. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
7. What are the two days at college Chick shares with the reader?
8. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
9. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
10. What game does the narrator learn that Chick Benetto once played as a professional player?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)