|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
(a) At their favorite Italian restaurant.
(b) At the same place where they met.
(c) In a letter from Italy.
(d) In a note scribbled in class.
2. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
(a) An old man mowing the grass.
(b) A kid pitching a ball.
(c) A kid building a sand castle.
(d) An old man visiting his wife's grave.
3. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
(a) Paper Roses.
(b) This Could Be the Start of Something Big.
(c) Puppy Love.
(d) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
4. How did Roberta hide the carvings she and Chick made in their mother's kitchen table when their mother returned from work?
(a) A gallon of apple juice.
(b) A gallon of ice cream.
(c) A gallon of milk.
(d) A gallon of koolaide.
5. What word does Posey show Chick carved into the tree?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator claim to have spent part of her career doing?
2. Who supposedly played in the World Series?
3. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
4. Who supposedly attempted to kill himself/herself?
5. What does the main character think the narrator wants to know about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What word did Chick's mother help Chick find the definition for despite his father's disapproval of her help?
2. Why did Chick have a problem with how his mother would leave him at school?
3. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
4. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
5. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
6. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
7. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
8. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
9. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
10. What is Posey's reaction to Chick's insistence that her presence in the house is impossible?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)