|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
(a) To speak to his wife.
(b) To drink some more.
(c) To kill himself.
(d) To speak to his daughter.
2. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
(a) A plan.
(c) A list.
(d) A scheme to get rich.
3. What did Posey want Chick to do as an adult?
(a) To be a ball player.
(b) To be a priest.
(c) To take over his father's liquor stores.
(d) To be well educated.
4. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
(a) They often fought.
(b) They often spoke of separation.
(c) They often spent time apart.
(d) They always got back together.
5. What did Posey and Len fight about most often when Chick was a child?
(d) Len's drinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
2. What one word was the only one Chick could manage to say when his mother, who had been dead eight years, entered the kitchen in Section 2: Part 2?
3. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
4. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
5. What did Chick and his sister use to carve their initials into their mother's kitchen table?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
2. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
3. What causes Chick's mother to stop playing her favorite record?
4. What draws Chick's attention to the table top in his mother's kitchen as his mother treats his wounds?
5. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
6. Why did Chick's parents feel the need to get married quickly?
7. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
8. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
9. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
10. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)