|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the first time Chick heard the word divorcee as a child?
(a) When his father said it after a baseball game.
(b) When his mother said it to a friend.
(c) When his father said it about his mother.
(d) When the housekeeper said it to his mother.
2. Why did the doctor who delivered Chick tell Posey she had to deliver by dinner time?
(a) He had another patient scheduled for surgery.
(b) It cost extra if he had to work through dinner.
(c) His wife was making fish sticks.
(d) He did not want her to go hungry.
3. What phrase does Chick feel fits him well?
(a) Tiime will tell.
(b) Blundering back to God.
(c) Poor truant, passionate fool.
(d) Life is a beach.
4. What did Posey want Chick to do as an adult?
(a) To be a priest.
(b) To be well educated.
(c) To be a ball player.
(d) To take over his father's liquor stores.
5. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
(a) She is taking him to the hospital.
(b) She has visits to make.
(c) She wants him to leave her alone.
(d) She is sending him to the store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chick and his sister use to carve their initials into their mother's kitchen table?
2. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
3. What does the narrator claim to have spent part of her career doing?
4. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
5. What one thing did Chick notice his parents did together that seemed to make them both happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
2. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
3. Why does Chick Benetto drive toward his home town?
4. What was Posey's profession at the time of the divorce?
5. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
6. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
7. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
8. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
9. What does Chick say after breakfast that causes his mother to question him?
10. What word did Chick's mother help Chick find the definition for despite his father's disapproval of her help?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)