|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Chick call after sneaking out of work in Section 1?
(a) His daughter, Marie.
(b) His mother, Posey.
(c) His ex-wife, Catherine.
(d) His father, Len.
2. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
(a) A diving board.
(b) A water tower.
(c) A private balcony.
(d) A shopping mall.
3. Why did the narrator come to Pepperville Beach?
(a) To bury a relative.
(b) To buy a house.
(c) To visit a relative.
(d) To close on a house that had been in the family for years.
4. How did Posey often spend holidays after the divorce?
(a) With friends and neighbors like before.
(b) Going out with all her new boyfriends.
(c) Working overtime at the hospital.
(d) Throwing parties with just her and the kids.
5. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
(a) He thinks Posey is trying to trick them.
(b) He believes that believing in Santa is hurting Roberta.
(c) He misses his dad and does not want his mother to try to take her place.
(d) He thinks believing in Santa is childish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey create out of toilet paper for Chick's Halloween costume when he is six?
2. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
3. The narrator says every family is a what?
4. What does the main character think the narrator wants to know about him?
5. Why does Chick say his hometown is called Pepperville Beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
2. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
3. Why does Chick return to his family home? What does he find there?
4. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
5. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
6. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
7. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
8. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
9. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
10. What one thing does Chick recall always made his parents happy?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)