|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
(a) To help reduce the friction at home.
(b) To visit with liquor distributors and to manage his new store in a town an hour away.
(c) To spend time with his biological family.
(d) To spend time with his friends.
2. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His mother.
(c) A homeless woman.
(d) A bum.
3. What did Posey want Chick to do as an adult?
(a) To be a priest.
(b) To be well educated.
(c) To be a ball player.
(d) To take over his father's liquor stores.
4. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
(a) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
(b) Paper Roses.
(c) This Could Be the Start of Something Big.
(d) Puppy Love.
5. Why does Chick Benetto believe he was not invited to this family event?
(a) His drinking made him an embarrassment.
(b) His attitude made him unwelcome.
(c) He does not get along with his extended family.
(d) He does not get along with his ex-wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the doctor who delivered Chick tell Posey she had to deliver by dinner time?
2. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
3. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
4. Where does Chick go after he wakes from his fall from the water tower?
5. What musical object does Chick compare small towns to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
2. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
3. When did Chick say he felt he became a Mommy's boy?
4. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
5. What reason does Posey give for dumping food given to the family by nuns down the disposal?
6. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
7. What impact does the setting have on Chick's family after the divorce?
8. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
9. What causes Chick's mother to stop playing her favorite record?
10. Why is the word please carved into the side of tree?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)