|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a note written to Chick on his wedding day, what does Posey say she knows Chick thinks of the notes?
(a) That they are well written.
(b) That they are special.
(c) That they are stupid and a waste of time.
(d) That they are silly.
2. What is the day that Chick wanted back?
(a) The day his father left.
(b) The birth of his daughter.
(c) The day he quit baseball.
(d) His mother's seventy-ninth birthday.
3. What does Chick learn about this woman that upsets him the most?
(a) She was a sports reporter who could have helped his career.
(b) She gave his father a son.
(c) She was the reason his father left the family.
(d) She was a grandmother he never met.
4. What voice does Chick hear as he goes to answer the door in his mother's house after their visit to Rose?
(a) An old friend from his childhood.
(b) A ghost calling to his mother.
(c) A man claiming to be a police officer.
(d) A bill collector at the door.
5. Who is the first woman Chick and Posey visit that day?
(b) Miss Thelma.
(c) The Italian woman.
6. How does Posey react when Chick asks if he can be with her if he dies?
(a) God will not allow it.
(b) Now he wants to be with her.
(c) Sure, she would love the company.
(d) No, she does not want him around.
7. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
(a) Len Benetto's cousin.
(b) Len Benetto's mother.
(c) Len Benetto's wife.
(d) Len Benetto's sister.
8. Why did Posey lose her job at the hospital?
(a) She was not a good nurse.
(b) She was late too often.
(c) She distracted the patients.
(d) She complained about a doctor's inappropriate behavior.
9. What does Posey tell Chick when he confesses his guilt to her on their one more day together?
(a) That he deserves what he gets.
(b) That all is forgiven and he should forgive himself.
(c) That children should not have to choose between parents.
(d) That she is angry with him for not being there with her.
10. Who taught Chick how to shave?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) A boyfriend of his mother's.
(d) An uncle.
11. What does Chick not want to be, what frightens him about his death?
(a) That he will be remembered as a failure.
(b) That he will be remembered as a drunk.
(c) That he will be remembered as the man who alienated his child.
(d) That he will be remembered as ordinary.
12. What did this caller in Section 4: Part 1 want from Chick?
(a) To sell him insurance.
(b) To play in an old-timers ball game.
(c) To give Posey a message.
(d) To offer him a job.
13. What does Miss Thelma's family think she is doing?
(a) Making dinner.
(b) Working a crossword.
(c) Talking to a friend on the phone.
14. From what team is the scout Chick meets after a game one day during college?
(a) Chicago White Socks.
(b) Texas Rangers.
(c) St. Louis Cardinals.
(d) Pittsburg Pirates.
15. Why does Chick not allow his mother to go up to his dorm room with him?
(a) He does not want her in his personal space.
(b) He does not want her to be oogled by his roommate.
(c) He is embarrassed by her presence.
(d) He is afraid she will make a fool of herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of scholarship did Chick get to help pay for college?
2. What does Chick notice as he, his mother, and Miss Thelma drive through town?
3. What did Miss Thelma do for the Benetto family when Chick was a little boy?
4. What did chick always think was important to a person's memory?
5. What request did Posey make for her own funeral after seeing the custom at Jewish funerals?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)