|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
(a) Len Benetto's mother.
(b) Len Benetto's cousin.
(c) Len Benetto's sister.
(d) Len Benetto's wife.
2. What does Rose say when Posey asks about her children?
(a) They are all doing well, but in distant cities.
(b) They come to see her daily.
(c) They check on her once a week, like a chore.
(d) They never come to see her.
3. What would Posey tell her children when they would ask about patients she cared for who had died?
(a) That they went home.
(b) That they no longer felt pain.
(c) That they no longer needed her care.
(d) That they were in a better place.
4. What does Rose say is the only part of her that is still young?
(a) Her hearing.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her heart.
5. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
(a) His mother has cancer.
(b) His mother had a heart attack.
(c) His mother fell and broke her hip.
(d) His mother was in a car accident.
6. What does the caller say when Chick answers the phone at Rose's house?
(a) He speaks Chick's name and says there was an accident.
(b) He tries to sell Chick life insurance.
(c) He says he is Rose's husband, but her husband is dead.
(d) He asks for Rose's husband, but he is dead.
7. What did Chick's fourteen-year-old daughter write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
(a) That she thinks this whole thing is stupid.
(b) That she is angry with God for stealing her grandmother away.
(c) When heaven is done with her, she would like her grandmother back.
(d) That she hopes her grandmother will finally find peace in heaven.
8. What did chick always think was important to a person's memory?
(a) His surname.
(b) The caliber of profession that followed his name.
(c) The woman he married.
(d) The children he left behind.
9. How does Chick Benetto feel that he lost his father?
(a) Chick drank too much and his father disapproved.
(b) Chick's father disliked Chick's wife.
(c) Chick turned his back on baseball.
(d) Chick was a poor salesman.
10. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
(a) His athletic ability.
(b) His financial status.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His handsomness.
11. What profession did Chick get into after baseball?
(b) Business owner.
(d) Computer programming.
12. What does Chick learn about this woman that upsets him the most?
(a) She was a sports reporter who could have helped his career.
(b) She gave his father a son.
(c) She was a grandmother he never met.
(d) She was the reason his father left the family.
13. What voice does Chick hear as he goes to answer the door in his mother's house after their visit to Rose?
(a) An old friend from his childhood.
(b) A bill collector at the door.
(c) A ghost calling to his mother.
(d) A man claiming to be a police officer.
14. What does Posey say a child who is embarrassed by is mother is?
(a) A child who has not lived long enough.
(b) A child who is selfish.
(c) A child who needs a lesson in virtue.
(d) A child who needs a good spanking.
15. What is the day that Chick wanted back?
(a) The day he quit baseball.
(b) The day his father left.
(c) His mother's seventy-ninth birthday.
(d) The birth of his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick's mother wear the day she drives him to his first day of college?
2. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
3. What request did Posey make for her own funeral after seeing the custom at Jewish funerals?
4. Why does Chick not allow his mother to go up to his dorm room with him?
5. Why did Posey lose her job at the hospital?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)