|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Chick pick up Roberta after school every day shortly after the divorce?
(a) Posey was just too embarrassing.
(b) Roberta insisted.
(c) Their mother was working.
(d) It was more convenient for him to do it.
2. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) Miss Thelma.
(d) His mother.
3. How did Catherine react two weeks after Posey's death to Chick's confession regarding the fake business trip?
(a) That he should go back and leave them alone.
(b) It no longer mattered.
(c) That he should have told her the truth to begin with.
(d) That he deserved to feel guilty.
4. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
(a) He could have saved her.
(b) That she died alone.
(c) That he was not there.
(d) That Maria found her.
5. How did Posey come to find out about the Italian woman?
(a) She heard a rumor from a neighbor.
(b) She went to Collinswood where Len Benetto bought her a house.
(c) She got a phone call from the woman one day.
(d) She saw a picture of the woman in Len Benetto's wallet.
6. What does Posey say a child who is embarrassed by is mother is?
(a) A child who needs a good spanking.
(b) A child who has not lived long enough.
(c) A child who needs a lesson in virtue.
(d) A child who is selfish.
7. What day does Chick believe was one of the happiest of his mother's life?
(a) The day he got married.
(b) The day he graduated high school.
(c) The day he made his first homerun.
(d) The day he began college.
8. What does Chick believe about his current circumstances now that he knows he is somewhere in limbo between life and death?
(a) That he has had a mental breakdown.
(b) That he is really hallucinating.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) That he is already dead.
9. Who called Posey's house one afternoon while Chick was there in Section 4: Part 1?
(b) Miss Thelma.
(d) Len Benetto.
10. What does Posey find in Chick's room when he is fourteen that causes a battle between the two?
11. What is a short stay in baseball called?
(a) A cup of tea.
(b) A glass of tequilla.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) A glass of milk.
12. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
(a) Call Roberta.
(b) Have desert.
(c) Walk on the beach.
(d) Make a third visit.
13. Who does Posey brag about as she works on Rose's hair?
(a) Chick, her son.
(b) Roberta, her daughter.
(c) Marie, her granddaughter.
(d) Catherine, her daughter-in-law.
14. What does Posey tell Chick when he confesses his guilt to her on their one more day together?
(a) That children should not have to choose between parents.
(b) That she is angry with him for not being there with her.
(c) That all is forgiven and he should forgive himself.
(d) That he deserves what he gets.
15. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
(a) His mother fell and broke her hip.
(b) His mother had a heart attack.
(c) His mother was in a car accident.
(d) His mother has cancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
2. What is the one thing Len Benetto ever said about Posey to Chick?
3. How does Chick come to accept the events taking place after he jumped from the water tower?
4. What request did Posey make for her own funeral after seeing the custom at Jewish funerals?
5. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)