|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
(a) A broken leg.
(b) A broken arm.
(c) An elbow injury.
(d) A knee injury.
2. How did Posey come to find out about the Italian woman?
(a) She got a phone call from the woman one day.
(b) She went to Collinswood where Len Benetto bought her a house.
(c) She heard a rumor from a neighbor.
(d) She saw a picture of the woman in Len Benetto's wallet.
3. What day does Chick believe was one of the happiest of his mother's life?
(a) The day he made his first homerun.
(b) The day he graduated high school.
(c) The day he began college.
(d) The day he got married.
4. Why can Posey not find another nursing job?
(a) She no longer felt she could work the hours required.
(b) She no longer liked the work.
(c) She was blacklisted by her previous employer.
(d) There was only one hospital in the county.
5. What does Posey say children often do when they are hurting?
(a) Hide their feelings.
(b) Torture their siblings.
(c) Act out in school.
(d) Hurt others.
6. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
(a) He is a drunk and a loser.
(b) She is ashamed of him.
(c) She is not as great as his mother recalls.
(d) She no longer wants to be a part of his life.
7. How does Chick come to accept the events taking place after he jumped from the water tower?
(a) He thinks he is dead.
(b) He called it temporary insanity.
(c) He decides it is a hallucination and he should go with it.
(d) He thought he had jumped through a time warp.
8. What did chick always think was important to a person's memory?
(a) The caliber of profession that followed his name.
(b) The children he left behind.
(c) His surname.
(d) The woman he married.
9. Who does Chick claim was a ghost throughout his childhood?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
10. What did Chick's fourteen-year-old daughter write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
(a) That she is angry with God for stealing her grandmother away.
(b) When heaven is done with her, she would like her grandmother back.
(c) That she thinks this whole thing is stupid.
(d) That she hopes her grandmother will finally find peace in heaven.
11. What does Chick imagine his mother saying to him as he performs the Jewish custom she requested at her funeral?
(a) Good boy.
(b) How could you?
(c) Could you do it a little better?
12. After a night in which Posey thought she heard an intruder in the night, why does Chick say he will be angry with his mother until he leaves that house?
(a) He believes it was his mother's fault they were all placed in that danger.
(b) He believes his father tried to come home and she sent him away.
(c) He believes his mother made up the story of an intruder to hide a boyfriend.
(d) He believes his mother did not protect him well enough.
13. What does Miss Thelma say will be her legacy after she dies?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her friends.
(c) Her reputation for hard work.
(d) Her grandchildren's laughter.
14. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
(a) The day his father stopped coming to his games.
(b) The day he dropped out to become a professional ball player.
(c) The day he flunked out.
(d) The day his sister dropped out.
15. What does Rose say is the only part of her that is still young?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her heart.
(c) Her hearing.
(d) Her eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
2. What does Chick believe about his current circumstances now that he knows he is somewhere in limbo between life and death?
3. What does Posey find in Chick's room when he is fourteen that causes a battle between the two?
4. Who is the first woman Chick and Posey visit that day?
5. What does Chick learn about this woman that upsets him the most?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)