|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three things did Posey once tell Chick he needed to be successful?
(a) Intelligence, hard work, and good support.
(b) Good support, lots of money, and love.
(c) Hard work, good money, and intelligence.
(d) Belief, hard work, and love.
2. What does Chick learn about his mother while he and she are visiting with Miss Thelma?
(a) That his mother lived with Miss Thelma for a short time in the past.
(b) That Miss Thelma is a distant relative.
(c) That his mother and Miss Thelma cleaned houses together.
(d) That his mother paid for Miss Thelma's cancer treatments.
3. What kind of scholarship did Chick get to help pay for college?
(a) An academic scholarship.
(b) A football scholarship.
(c) A track scholarship.
(d) A baseball scholarship.
4. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
(a) Call Roberta.
(b) Walk on the beach.
(c) Make a third visit.
(d) Have desert.
5. What is a short stay in baseball called?
(a) A glass of tequilla.
(b) A cup of coffee.
(c) A glass of milk.
(d) A cup of tea.
6. Who called Posey's house one afternoon while Chick was there in Section 4: Part 1?
(a) Miss Thelma.
(c) Len Benetto.
7. What dish does this Italian woman make that Posey thinks Len Benetto always wanted over Posey's version of the same dish?
8. What is the day that Chick wanted back?
(a) The day his father left.
(b) His mother's seventy-ninth birthday.
(c) The birth of his daughter.
(d) The day he quit baseball.
9. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
(a) A broken leg.
(b) A broken arm.
(c) An elbow injury.
(d) A knee injury.
10. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
(a) The day his father stopped coming to his games.
(b) The day he flunked out.
(c) The day his sister dropped out.
(d) The day he dropped out to become a professional ball player.
11. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
(a) She is ashamed of him.
(b) She is not as great as his mother recalls.
(c) She no longer wants to be a part of his life.
(d) He is a drunk and a loser.
12. What does Chick not want to be, what frightens him about his death?
(a) That he will be remembered as the man who alienated his child.
(b) That he will be remembered as a failure.
(c) That he will be remembered as ordinary.
(d) That he will be remembered as a drunk.
13. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
(a) That he was not there.
(b) That Maria found her.
(c) He could have saved her.
(d) That she died alone.
14. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
(a) The marriage itself.
(c) His wife.
(d) His children.
15. What does Chick notice as he, his mother, and Miss Thelma drive through town?
(a) There are no people out and about.
(b) He does not know any of the people they see, young or old.
(c) The town has changed since he last visited.
(d) Old people are everywhere and they all seem to know his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
2. What does Chick imagine his mother saying to him as he performs the Jewish custom she requested at her funeral?
3. Who does Posey brag about as she works on Rose's hair?
4. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
5. Why did Chick believe his father stopped coming around after he quit baseball?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)