|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chick come to accept the events taking place after he jumped from the water tower?
(a) He decides it is a hallucination and he should go with it.
(b) He called it temporary insanity.
(c) He thinks he is dead.
(d) He thought he had jumped through a time warp.
2. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
(a) That Maria found her.
(b) That he was not there.
(c) That she died alone.
(d) He could have saved her.
3. Who is the first woman Chick and Posey visit that day?
(b) The Italian woman.
(d) Miss Thelma.
4. What does Chick not want to be, what frightens him about his death?
(a) That he will be remembered as a failure.
(b) That he will be remembered as ordinary.
(c) That he will be remembered as the man who alienated his child.
(d) That he will be remembered as a drunk.
5. Why would Chick pick up Roberta after school every day shortly after the divorce?
(a) Posey was just too embarrassing.
(b) It was more convenient for him to do it.
(c) Their mother was working.
(d) Roberta insisted.
6. What happens when Miss Thelma's grandchildren come into her bedroom?
(a) They can only see Posey.
(b) They can only see Chick.
(c) They cannot see Miss Thelma.
(d) They cannot see Chick and Posey.
7. Why did Miss Thelma call Chick chickadoodle-do?
(a) He often walked all over people.
(b) He had a stutter that made he talk strangely.
(c) He looked like a rooster.
(d) He often screamed for people from the backyard.
8. Why did Chick believe his father stopped coming around after he quit baseball?
(a) Baseball was their only connection.
(b) Len moved away.
(c) Len did not like Chick's wife.
(d) Len was ashamed of Chick.
9. In a note written to Chick on his wedding day, what does Posey say she knows Chick thinks of the notes?
(a) That they are stupid and a waste of time.
(b) That they are silly.
(c) That they are special.
(d) That they are well written.
10. What does Chick learn about his mother while he and she are visiting with Miss Thelma?
(a) That Miss Thelma is a distant relative.
(b) That his mother paid for Miss Thelma's cancer treatments.
(c) That his mother and Miss Thelma cleaned houses together.
(d) That his mother lived with Miss Thelma for a short time in the past.
11. What does Chick learn about this woman that upsets him the most?
(a) She was a grandmother he never met.
(b) She was a sports reporter who could have helped his career.
(c) She was the reason his father left the family.
(d) She gave his father a son.
12. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
(a) The day his sister dropped out.
(b) The day he flunked out.
(c) The day his father stopped coming to his games.
(d) The day he dropped out to become a professional ball player.
13. Why did Posey lose her job at the hospital?
(a) She was not a good nurse.
(b) She was late too often.
(c) She complained about a doctor's inappropriate behavior.
(d) She distracted the patients.
14. Why does Chick admit he continued to play baseball all through his childhood?
(a) He hoped it would bring his father back into his life.
(b) He hoped it would help him become rich and famous.
(c) He hoped it would mean a way out of his mother's house.
(d) He hoped it would teach him the values his father should have taught him.
15. From what team is the scout Chick meets after a game one day during college?
(a) Chicago White Socks.
(b) Pittsburg Pirates.
(c) St. Louis Cardinals.
(d) Texas Rangers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one thing Len Benetto ever said about Posey to Chick?
2. What did Miss Thelma do for the Benetto family when Chick was a little boy?
3. Why does Chick calls his mother a hypocrite when she finds an item hidden in his sock drawer when he is only fourteen?
4. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
5. When Chick's father asks to drive him home from a college baseball game, what does he do that causes Chick to feel all is right with the world?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)