|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much longer after this injury did Chick continue to play baseball professionally?
(a) Sixteen months.
(b) Six years.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Six months.
2. What does Chick say is the best thing that ever happened to him in his career?
(a) He played in the All-Star game.
(b) He was made salesman of the year.
(c) He played in the World Series.
(d) He played in the Super Bowl.
3. Why did Posey say she wanted to include a unique Jewish custom at her own funeral?
(a) To add something unique to her funeral.
(b) To keep the mourners from getting bored.
(c) To reduce the cost of the funeral.
(d) To help the mourners let the body go and celebrate the spirit.
4. What does Chick notice as he, his mother, and Miss Thelma drive through town?
(a) Old people are everywhere and they all seem to know his mother.
(b) He does not know any of the people they see, young or old.
(c) The town has changed since he last visited.
(d) There are no people out and about.
5. What news does Rose mention she hear on the radio shortly before Posey and Chick come to visit?
(a) A bank had been robbed.
(b) The president was shot.
(c) There was an accident on the highway.
(d) Someone jumped from the water tower.
6. Why does Chick calls his mother a hypocrite when she finds an item hidden in his sock drawer when he is only fourteen?
(a) She smokes.
(b) She looks at pornography.
(c) She drinks.
(d) She does drugs.
7. How does Chick come to accept the events taking place after he jumped from the water tower?
(a) He decides it is a hallucination and he should go with it.
(b) He thinks he is dead.
(c) He called it temporary insanity.
(d) He thought he had jumped through a time warp.
8. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
(a) In his wife.
(b) In his daughter.
(c) In his sister.
(d) In his mother.
9. What kind of scholarship did Chick get to help pay for college?
(a) A track scholarship.
(b) A football scholarship.
(c) An academic scholarship.
(d) A baseball scholarship.
10. What three things did Posey once tell Chick he needed to be successful?
(a) Belief, hard work, and love.
(b) Good support, lots of money, and love.
(c) Hard work, good money, and intelligence.
(d) Intelligence, hard work, and good support.
11. What profession did Chick get into after baseball?
(a) Computer programming.
(d) Business owner.
12. What did Miss Thelma do for the Benetto family when Chick was a little boy?
(a) Home repair.
13. Why does Chick not allow his mother to go up to his dorm room with him?
(a) He does not want her in his personal space.
(b) He is embarrassed by her presence.
(c) He is afraid she will make a fool of herself.
(d) He does not want her to be oogled by his roommate.
14. What does Posey stress to Chick as being the most important thing in his life while he is college?
(a) His health.
(b) Making money.
(c) An education.
15. What is the day that Chick wanted back?
(a) The birth of his daughter.
(b) His mother's seventy-ninth birthday.
(c) The day he quit baseball.
(d) The day his father left.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Posey not find another nursing job?
2. What does Rose say when Posey asks about her children?
3. Why does Posey tell Chick in Section 3: Part 2 that she did not want to ask for money from his father?
4. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice a third and final time?
5. Who called Posey's house one afternoon while Chick was there in Section 4: Part 1?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)