|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first woman Chick and Posey visit that day?
(c) The Italian woman.
(d) Miss Thelma.
2. What did chick always think was important to a person's memory?
(a) The woman he married.
(b) The caliber of profession that followed his name.
(c) The children he left behind.
(d) His surname.
3. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His athletic ability.
(c) His handsomness.
(d) His financial status.
4. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
(a) Call Roberta.
(b) Have desert.
(c) Make a third visit.
(d) Walk on the beach.
5. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
(a) In his wife.
(b) In his sister.
(c) In his daughter.
(d) In his mother.
6. Why does Chick lie to his family about a trip out of town on his mother's birthday?
(a) So he can escape a boring party.
(b) So he can see his mistress.
(c) So he can sneak out to get a surprise gift.
(d) So he can play in a baseball game.
7. Why can Posey not find another nursing job?
(a) She no longer felt she could work the hours required.
(b) There was only one hospital in the county.
(c) She no longer liked the work.
(d) She was blacklisted by her previous employer.
8. What does Chick not want to be, what frightens him about his death?
(a) That he will be remembered as a drunk.
(b) That he will be remembered as the man who alienated his child.
(c) That he will be remembered as a failure.
(d) That he will be remembered as ordinary.
9. What does Chick say when his mother asks about his wife, Catherine?
(a) They split up.
(b) He lies, saying she is sick.
(d) He lies, saying they are still together.
10. What does Chick consider his best day during his college years?
(a) The day he met Catherine.
(b) The day he was scouted by a professional baseball team.
(c) The day his sister joined him at college.
(d) The day his father walked back into his life.
11. After a night in which Posey thought she heard an intruder in the night, why does Chick say he will be angry with his mother until he leaves that house?
(a) He believes his mother made up the story of an intruder to hide a boyfriend.
(b) He believes it was his mother's fault they were all placed in that danger.
(c) He believes his father tried to come home and she sent him away.
(d) He believes his mother did not protect him well enough.
12. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
(a) She is ashamed of him.
(b) She no longer wants to be a part of his life.
(c) He is a drunk and a loser.
(d) She is not as great as his mother recalls.
13. Who called Posey's house one afternoon while Chick was there in Section 4: Part 1?
(c) Len Benetto.
(d) Miss Thelma.
14. Why does Chick not allow his mother to go up to his dorm room with him?
(a) He does not want her to be oogled by his roommate.
(b) He is embarrassed by her presence.
(c) He is afraid she will make a fool of herself.
(d) He does not want her in his personal space.
15. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice a third and final time?
(a) Chick returns to reality.
(b) Chick sees a white light and is separated from his mother.
(d) Chick discovers it has all been a dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey tell Chick when he confesses his guilt to her on their one more day together?
2. What does Chick say is the best thing that ever happened to him in his career?
3. Why did Miss Thelma call Chick chickadoodle-do?
4. What did Miss Thelma do for the Benetto family when Chick was a little boy?
5. What does Rose say when Posey asks about her children?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)