|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chick calls his mother a hypocrite when she finds an item hidden in his sock drawer when he is only fourteen?
(a) She does drugs.
(b) She looks at pornography.
(c) She drinks.
(d) She smokes.
2. What would Posey tell her children when they would ask about patients she cared for who had died?
(a) That they no longer felt pain.
(b) That they were in a better place.
(c) That they went home.
(d) That they no longer needed her care.
3. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
(a) The day he flunked out.
(b) The day he dropped out to become a professional ball player.
(c) The day his father stopped coming to his games.
(d) The day his sister dropped out.
4. How much longer after this injury did Chick continue to play baseball professionally?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Six years.
(c) Six months.
(d) Sixteen months.
5. What dish does this Italian woman make that Posey thinks Len Benetto always wanted over Posey's version of the same dish?
6. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
(a) Make a third visit.
(b) Have desert.
(c) Walk on the beach.
(d) Call Roberta.
7. Why does Chick not allow his mother to go up to his dorm room with him?
(a) He does not want her to be oogled by his roommate.
(b) He is afraid she will make a fool of herself.
(c) He does not want her in his personal space.
(d) He is embarrassed by her presence.
8. What does Posey say to Chick when he asks why she never remarried after her divorce?
(a) Posey said she did not want to change the family dynammic by brining in a stepfather.
(b) Posey said she never met another man who could make her as happy as Len Benetto.
(c) Posey said she was happy with her kids and her grandchildren. Life goes by too fast.
(d) Posey said she never found a man the children would approve of.
9. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
(a) That Maria found her.
(b) That he was not there.
(c) That she died alone.
(d) He could have saved her.
10. What voice does Chick hear as he goes to answer the door in his mother's house after their visit to Rose?
(a) A man claiming to be a police officer.
(b) An old friend from his childhood.
(c) A ghost calling to his mother.
(d) A bill collector at the door.
11. What does Posey tell Chick about how she happens to visit people who are dying?
(a) Posey is a sort of guardian angel who goes to help people make the transition to death easier.
(b) They think of her and that calls her to their sides.
(c) Posey is called to people she offended in life to make amends as they die.
(d) God tells her who to visit.
12. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
(a) In his daughter.
(b) In his mother.
(c) In his sister.
(d) In his wife.
13. What news does Rose mention she hear on the radio shortly before Posey and Chick come to visit?
(a) A bank had been robbed.
(b) Someone jumped from the water tower.
(c) The president was shot.
(d) There was an accident on the highway.
14. Why did Posey say she wanted to include a unique Jewish custom at her own funeral?
(a) To add something unique to her funeral.
(b) To help the mourners let the body go and celebrate the spirit.
(c) To reduce the cost of the funeral.
(d) To keep the mourners from getting bored.
15. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice a third and final time?
(a) Chick sees a white light and is separated from his mother.
(b) Chick discovers it has all been a dream.
(d) Chick returns to reality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick consider his best day during his college years?
2. Why does Posey tell Chick in Section 3: Part 2 that she did not want to ask for money from his father?
3. Who does Posey brag about as she works on Rose's hair?
4. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
5. What profession did Chick get into after baseball?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)