|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chick calls his mother a hypocrite when she finds an item hidden in his sock drawer when he is only fourteen?
(a) She looks at pornography.
(b) She drinks.
(c) She does drugs.
(d) She smokes.
2. What does Miss Thelma's family think she is doing?
(a) Working a crossword.
(c) Making dinner.
(d) Talking to a friend on the phone.
3. What does Posey tell Chick about how she happens to visit people who are dying?
(a) They think of her and that calls her to their sides.
(b) God tells her who to visit.
(c) Posey is called to people she offended in life to make amends as they die.
(d) Posey is a sort of guardian angel who goes to help people make the transition to death easier.
4. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
(a) Len Benetto's cousin.
(b) Len Benetto's sister.
(c) Len Benetto's wife.
(d) Len Benetto's mother.
5. What did Miss Thelma do for the Benetto family when Chick was a little boy?
(a) Home repair.
6. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
(a) In his daughter.
(b) In his wife.
(c) In his sister.
(d) In his mother.
7. Why does Chick not allow his mother to go up to his dorm room with him?
(a) He is embarrassed by her presence.
(b) He is afraid she will make a fool of herself.
(c) He does not want her to be oogled by his roommate.
(d) He does not want her in his personal space.
8. What does Chick say when his mother asks about his wife, Catherine?
(a) He lies, saying they are still together.
(b) They split up.
(d) He lies, saying she is sick.
9. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
(a) She no longer wants to be a part of his life.
(b) She is not as great as his mother recalls.
(c) She is ashamed of him.
(d) He is a drunk and a loser.
10. What does Chick not want to be, what frightens him about his death?
(a) That he will be remembered as ordinary.
(b) That he will be remembered as the man who alienated his child.
(c) That he will be remembered as a failure.
(d) That he will be remembered as a drunk.
11. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
(a) His handsomness.
(b) His financial status.
(c) His athletic ability.
(d) His intelligence.
12. How does Chick come to accept the events taking place after he jumped from the water tower?
(a) He decides it is a hallucination and he should go with it.
(b) He thinks he is dead.
(c) He called it temporary insanity.
(d) He thought he had jumped through a time warp.
13. Why did Posey lose her job at the hospital?
(a) She complained about a doctor's inappropriate behavior.
(b) She was not a good nurse.
(c) She was late too often.
(d) She distracted the patients.
14. What does Chick notice as he, his mother, and Miss Thelma drive through town?
(a) There are no people out and about.
(b) Old people are everywhere and they all seem to know his mother.
(c) The town has changed since he last visited.
(d) He does not know any of the people they see, young or old.
15. Who is the first woman Chick and Posey visit that day?
(a) Miss Thelma.
(d) The Italian woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Rose mention she hear on the radio shortly before Posey and Chick come to visit?
2. How much longer after this injury did Chick continue to play baseball professionally?
3. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
4. Why does Posey tell Chick in Section 3: Part 2 that she did not want to ask for money from his father?
5. What does Chick learn about his mother while he and she are visiting with Miss Thelma?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)