|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
(a) An elbow injury.
(b) A knee injury.
(c) A broken leg.
(d) A broken arm.
2. What voice does Chick hear as he goes to answer the door in his mother's house after their visit to Rose?
(a) A ghost calling to his mother.
(b) An old friend from his childhood.
(c) A bill collector at the door.
(d) A man claiming to be a police officer.
3. How did Catherine react two weeks after Posey's death to Chick's confession regarding the fake business trip?
(a) It no longer mattered.
(b) That he should have told her the truth to begin with.
(c) That he deserved to feel guilty.
(d) That he should go back and leave them alone.
4. What does the caller say when Chick answers the phone at Rose's house?
(a) He says he is Rose's husband, but her husband is dead.
(b) He asks for Rose's husband, but he is dead.
(c) He tries to sell Chick life insurance.
(d) He speaks Chick's name and says there was an accident.
5. What does Posey stress to Chick as being the most important thing in his life while he is college?
(a) An education.
(c) Making money.
(d) His health.
6. Who taught Chick how to shave?
(a) His father.
(b) A boyfriend of his mother's.
(c) An uncle.
(d) His mother.
7. What three things did Posey once tell Chick he needed to be successful?
(a) Intelligence, hard work, and good support.
(b) Hard work, good money, and intelligence.
(c) Good support, lots of money, and love.
(d) Belief, hard work, and love.
8. How did Posey come to find out about the Italian woman?
(a) She went to Collinswood where Len Benetto bought her a house.
(b) She heard a rumor from a neighbor.
(c) She got a phone call from the woman one day.
(d) She saw a picture of the woman in Len Benetto's wallet.
9. Why would Chick pick up Roberta after school every day shortly after the divorce?
(a) Roberta insisted.
(b) Posey was just too embarrassing.
(c) It was more convenient for him to do it.
(d) Their mother was working.
10. After a night in which Posey thought she heard an intruder in the night, why does Chick say he will be angry with his mother until he leaves that house?
(a) He believes his mother made up the story of an intruder to hide a boyfriend.
(b) He believes his father tried to come home and she sent him away.
(c) He believes his mother did not protect him well enough.
(d) He believes it was his mother's fault they were all placed in that danger.
11. What does Posey tell Chick about how she happens to visit people who are dying?
(a) God tells her who to visit.
(b) They think of her and that calls her to their sides.
(c) Posey is a sort of guardian angel who goes to help people make the transition to death easier.
(d) Posey is called to people she offended in life to make amends as they die.
12. What does Posey find in Chick's room when he is fourteen that causes a battle between the two?
13. Who does Chick claim was a ghost throughout his childhood?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandfather.
14. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
(a) Len Benetto's cousin.
(b) Len Benetto's mother.
(c) Len Benetto's wife.
(d) Len Benetto's sister.
15. Who called Posey's house one afternoon while Chick was there in Section 4: Part 1?
(a) Miss Thelma.
(b) Len Benetto.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
2. Why does Chick lie to his family about a trip out of town on his mother's birthday?
3. What does Chick say when his mother asks about his wife, Catherine?
4. Why did Posey lose her job at the hospital?
5. Why does Chick admit he continued to play baseball all through his childhood?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)