|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chick say when his mother asks about his wife, Catherine?
(b) They split up.
(c) He lies, saying she is sick.
(d) He lies, saying they are still together.
2. What does the caller say when Chick answers the phone at Rose's house?
(a) He says he is Rose's husband, but her husband is dead.
(b) He tries to sell Chick life insurance.
(c) He speaks Chick's name and says there was an accident.
(d) He asks for Rose's husband, but he is dead.
3. What does Miss Thelma say will be her legacy after she dies?
(a) Her friends.
(b) Her grandchildren's laughter.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her reputation for hard work.
4. What profession did Chick get into after baseball?
(c) Computer programming.
(d) Business owner.
5. What voice does Chick hear as he goes to answer the door in his mother's house after their visit to Rose?
(a) An old friend from his childhood.
(b) A man claiming to be a police officer.
(c) A ghost calling to his mother.
(d) A bill collector at the door.
6. What does Chick's mother wear the day she drives him to his first day of college?
(a) A nursing uniform.
(b) A modest dress.
(c) A purple pantsuit.
(d) A business suit.
7. Who taught Chick how to shave?
(a) His mother.
(b) An uncle.
(c) A boyfriend of his mother's.
(d) His father.
8. How did Catherine react two weeks after Posey's death to Chick's confession regarding the fake business trip?
(a) It no longer mattered.
(b) That he should have told her the truth to begin with.
(c) That he deserved to feel guilty.
(d) That he should go back and leave them alone.
9. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
(a) He could have saved her.
(b) That he was not there.
(c) That Maria found her.
(d) That she died alone.
10. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
(a) His wife.
(b) The marriage itself.
(c) His children.
11. What happens when Miss Thelma's grandchildren come into her bedroom?
(a) They can only see Posey.
(b) They cannot see Chick and Posey.
(c) They can only see Chick.
(d) They cannot see Miss Thelma.
12. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
(a) In his wife.
(b) In his mother.
(c) In his sister.
(d) In his daughter.
13. What does Chick imagine his mother saying to him as he performs the Jewish custom she requested at her funeral?
(a) How could you?
(b) Could you do it a little better?
(c) Good boy.
14. What would Posey tell her children when they would ask about patients she cared for who had died?
(a) That they went home.
(b) That they no longer needed her care.
(c) That they no longer felt pain.
(d) That they were in a better place.
15. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
(a) The day his sister dropped out.
(b) The day he dropped out to become a professional ball player.
(c) The day his father stopped coming to his games.
(d) The day he flunked out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chick believe his father stopped coming around after he quit baseball?
2. What did this caller in Section 4: Part 1 want from Chick?
3. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
4. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
5. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)