|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chick come to accept the events taking place after he jumped from the water tower?
(a) He called it temporary insanity.
(b) He thinks he is dead.
(c) He thought he had jumped through a time warp.
(d) He decides it is a hallucination and he should go with it.
2. Who does Posey brag about as she works on Rose's hair?
(a) Roberta, her daughter.
(b) Catherine, her daughter-in-law.
(c) Chick, her son.
(d) Marie, her granddaughter.
3. What does Chick consider the worst day of his college career?
(a) The day he dropped out to become a professional ball player.
(b) The day his sister dropped out.
(c) The day his father stopped coming to his games.
(d) The day he flunked out.
4. What does Posey stress to Chick as being the most important thing in his life while he is college?
(a) Making money.
(b) An education.
(c) His health.
5. What is the one thing Len Benetto ever said about Posey to Chick?
(a) She was a nag.
(b) She was a hardheaded woman.
(c) She was selfish.
(d) She was unfaithful.
6. Who does Chick claim was a ghost throughout his childhood?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
7. What happens when Miss Thelma's grandchildren come into her bedroom?
(a) They cannot see Chick and Posey.
(b) They can only see Posey.
(c) They can only see Chick.
(d) They cannot see Miss Thelma.
8. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
(a) Have desert.
(b) Call Roberta.
(c) Make a third visit.
(d) Walk on the beach.
9. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
(a) She is not as great as his mother recalls.
(b) She is ashamed of him.
(c) He is a drunk and a loser.
(d) She no longer wants to be a part of his life.
10. Why can Posey not find another nursing job?
(a) She no longer liked the work.
(b) She was blacklisted by her previous employer.
(c) She no longer felt she could work the hours required.
(d) There was only one hospital in the county.
11. Why would Chick pick up Roberta after school every day shortly after the divorce?
(a) Their mother was working.
(b) Posey was just too embarrassing.
(c) Roberta insisted.
(d) It was more convenient for him to do it.
12. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) Miss Thelma.
13. What profession did Chick get into after baseball?
(c) Computer programming.
(d) Business owner.
14. What day does Chick believe was one of the happiest of his mother's life?
(a) The day he began college.
(b) The day he graduated high school.
(c) The day he made his first homerun.
(d) The day he got married.
15. What does Miss Thelma's family think she is doing?
(a) Talking to a friend on the phone.
(c) Working a crossword.
(d) Making dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick say is the best thing that ever happened to him in his career?
2. What is a short stay in baseball called?
3. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
4. Who taught Chick how to shave?
5. How much longer after this injury did Chick continue to play baseball professionally?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)