|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing Len Benetto ever said about Posey to Chick?
(a) She was selfish.
(b) She was a nag.
(c) She was unfaithful.
(d) She was a hardheaded woman.
2. What did this caller in Section 4: Part 1 want from Chick?
(a) To sell him insurance.
(b) To offer him a job.
(c) To play in an old-timers ball game.
(d) To give Posey a message.
3. Why did Posey say she wanted to include a unique Jewish custom at her own funeral?
(a) To help the mourners let the body go and celebrate the spirit.
(b) To keep the mourners from getting bored.
(c) To reduce the cost of the funeral.
(d) To add something unique to her funeral.
4. Why does Chick not allow his mother to go up to his dorm room with him?
(a) He is embarrassed by her presence.
(b) He does not want her in his personal space.
(c) He does not want her to be oogled by his roommate.
(d) He is afraid she will make a fool of herself.
5. What does Chick notice as he, his mother, and Miss Thelma drive through town?
(a) Old people are everywhere and they all seem to know his mother.
(b) There are no people out and about.
(c) The town has changed since he last visited.
(d) He does not know any of the people they see, young or old.
6. How does Posey react when Chick asks if he can be with her if he dies?
(a) God will not allow it.
(b) Now he wants to be with her.
(c) Sure, she would love the company.
(d) No, she does not want him around.
7. What does Posey say a child who is embarrassed by is mother is?
(a) A child who needs a lesson in virtue.
(b) A child who has not lived long enough.
(c) A child who is selfish.
(d) A child who needs a good spanking.
8. When Chick's father asks to drive him home from a college baseball game, what does he do that causes Chick to feel all is right with the world?
(a) Apologizes for leaving the family.
(b) Explains his decision for not seeing Chick throughout his childhood.
(c) Shows respect for the coach.
(d) Offers to pay for a new glove.
9. Who does Chick claim was a ghost throughout his childhood?
(a) His mother.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
10. What does Miss Thelma say will be her legacy after she dies?
(a) Her reputation for hard work.
(b) Her grandchildren's laughter.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her friends.
11. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
(a) In his mother.
(b) In his wife.
(c) In his daughter.
(d) In his sister.
12. What does Posey tell Chick about how she happens to visit people who are dying?
(a) Posey is a sort of guardian angel who goes to help people make the transition to death easier.
(b) God tells her who to visit.
(c) Posey is called to people she offended in life to make amends as they die.
(d) They think of her and that calls her to their sides.
13. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
(a) His sister.
(b) Miss Thelma.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
14. What does Posey say children often do when they are hurting?
(a) Hide their feelings.
(b) Act out in school.
(c) Hurt others.
(d) Torture their siblings.
15. Why can Posey not find another nursing job?
(a) She no longer liked the work.
(b) She no longer felt she could work the hours required.
(c) There was only one hospital in the county.
(d) She was blacklisted by her previous employer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What voice does Chick hear as he goes to answer the door in his mother's house after their visit to Rose?
2. What did Miss Thelma do for the Benetto family when Chick was a little boy?
3. What profession did Chick get into after baseball?
4. What does the caller say when Chick answers the phone at Rose's house?
5. What kind of scholarship did Chick get to help pay for college?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)