|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chick calls his mother a hypocrite when she finds an item hidden in his sock drawer when he is only fourteen?
(a) She smokes.
(b) She drinks.
(c) She does drugs.
(d) She looks at pornography.
2. What does Rose say is the only part of her that is still young?
(a) Her heart.
(b) Her hearing.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her eyes.
3. After a night in which Posey thought she heard an intruder in the night, why does Chick say he will be angry with his mother until he leaves that house?
(a) He believes his mother did not protect him well enough.
(b) He believes his mother made up the story of an intruder to hide a boyfriend.
(c) He believes it was his mother's fault they were all placed in that danger.
(d) He believes his father tried to come home and she sent him away.
4. What would Posey tell her children when they would ask about patients she cared for who had died?
(a) That they no longer felt pain.
(b) That they no longer needed her care.
(c) That they went home.
(d) That they were in a better place.
5. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
(a) She is not as great as his mother recalls.
(b) He is a drunk and a loser.
(c) She no longer wants to be a part of his life.
(d) She is ashamed of him.
6. What does Chick not want to be, what frightens him about his death?
(a) That he will be remembered as a failure.
(b) That he will be remembered as the man who alienated his child.
(c) That he will be remembered as ordinary.
(d) That he will be remembered as a drunk.
7. Who does Posey brag about as she works on Rose's hair?
(a) Roberta, her daughter.
(b) Chick, her son.
(c) Marie, her granddaughter.
(d) Catherine, her daughter-in-law.
8. In a note written to Chick on his wedding day, what does Posey say she knows Chick thinks of the notes?
(a) That they are stupid and a waste of time.
(b) That they are special.
(c) That they are silly.
(d) That they are well written.
9. What did this caller in Section 4: Part 1 want from Chick?
(a) To sell him insurance.
(b) To give Posey a message.
(c) To play in an old-timers ball game.
(d) To offer him a job.
10. What did Chick's fourteen-year-old daughter write in the memory book at her grandmother's funeral?
(a) When heaven is done with her, she would like her grandmother back.
(b) That she thinks this whole thing is stupid.
(c) That she hopes her grandmother will finally find peace in heaven.
(d) That she is angry with God for stealing her grandmother away.
11. Over dinner, what does Chick request his mother tell him about?
(a) Roberta's family.
(b) Her family.
(c) His father's family.
(d) Miss Thelma's family.
12. What does Chick learn about his mother while he and she are visiting with Miss Thelma?
(a) That Miss Thelma is a distant relative.
(b) That his mother paid for Miss Thelma's cancer treatments.
(c) That his mother lived with Miss Thelma for a short time in the past.
(d) That his mother and Miss Thelma cleaned houses together.
13. How did Catherine react two weeks after Posey's death to Chick's confession regarding the fake business trip?
(a) That he should go back and leave them alone.
(b) That he should have told her the truth to begin with.
(c) That he deserved to feel guilty.
(d) It no longer mattered.
14. What does Posey tell Chick about how she happens to visit people who are dying?
(a) Posey is called to people she offended in life to make amends as they die.
(b) They think of her and that calls her to their sides.
(c) Posey is a sort of guardian angel who goes to help people make the transition to death easier.
(d) God tells her who to visit.
15. What is a short stay in baseball called?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) A cup of tea.
(c) A glass of tequilla.
(d) A glass of milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Thelma's family think she is doing?
2. What does Posey stress to Chick as being the most important thing in his life while he is college?
3. What happens when Miss Thelma's grandchildren come into her bedroom?
4. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
5. What does Posey say children often do when they are hurting?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)