|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
(a) His mother has cancer.
(b) His mother was in a car accident.
(c) His mother fell and broke her hip.
(d) His mother had a heart attack.
2. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
(a) His financial status.
(b) His athletic ability.
(c) His handsomness.
(d) His intelligence.
3. What day does Chick believe was one of the happiest of his mother's life?
(a) The day he got married.
(b) The day he made his first homerun.
(c) The day he began college.
(d) The day he graduated high school.
4. What dish does this Italian woman make that Posey thinks Len Benetto always wanted over Posey's version of the same dish?
5. Why does Chick admit he continued to play baseball all through his childhood?
(a) He hoped it would mean a way out of his mother's house.
(b) He hoped it would teach him the values his father should have taught him.
(c) He hoped it would bring his father back into his life.
(d) He hoped it would help him become rich and famous.
6. What request did Posey make for her own funeral after seeing the custom at Jewish funerals?
(a) That the mourners throw roses on her coffin.
(b) That the mourners bury her before sundown ont he day she died.
(c) That the mourners throw shovels full of dirt on her coffin.
(d) That the mourners step on a peice of glass before her coffin.
7. Who is the first woman Chick and Posey visit that day?
(a) The Italian woman.
(c) Miss Thelma.
8. What is the day that Chick wanted back?
(a) His mother's seventy-ninth birthday.
(b) The birth of his daughter.
(c) The day he quit baseball.
(d) The day his father left.
9. How does Chick Benetto feel that he lost his father?
(a) Chick was a poor salesman.
(b) Chick's father disliked Chick's wife.
(c) Chick turned his back on baseball.
(d) Chick drank too much and his father disapproved.
10. What does Miss Thelma's family think she is doing?
(a) Making dinner.
(b) Talking to a friend on the phone.
(c) Working a crossword.
11. What does the caller say when Chick answers the phone at Rose's house?
(a) He asks for Rose's husband, but he is dead.
(b) He tries to sell Chick life insurance.
(c) He speaks Chick's name and says there was an accident.
(d) He says he is Rose's husband, but her husband is dead.
12. What is a short stay in baseball called?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) A glass of tequilla.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) A glass of milk.
13. What news does Rose mention she hear on the radio shortly before Posey and Chick come to visit?
(a) A bank had been robbed.
(b) The president was shot.
(c) There was an accident on the highway.
(d) Someone jumped from the water tower.
14. What does Chick believe about his current circumstances now that he knows he is somewhere in limbo between life and death?
(a) That he is really hallucinating.
(b) That he is dying.
(c) That he is already dead.
(d) That he has had a mental breakdown.
15. From what team is the scout Chick meets after a game one day during college?
(a) St. Louis Cardinals.
(b) Texas Rangers.
(c) Chicago White Socks.
(d) Pittsburg Pirates.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Posey brag about as she works on Rose's hair?
2. What does Chick say is the best thing that ever happened to him in his career?
3. Why does Posey tell Chick in Section 3: Part 2 that she did not want to ask for money from his father?
4. What does Posey tell Chick when he confesses his guilt to her on their one more day together?
5. What does Chick consider his best day during his college years?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)