|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
(a) His mother was in a car accident.
(b) His mother fell and broke her hip.
(c) His mother had a heart attack.
(d) His mother has cancer.
2. Why did Posey lose her job at the hospital?
(a) She was late too often.
(b) She distracted the patients.
(c) She complained about a doctor's inappropriate behavior.
(d) She was not a good nurse.
3. Why did Chick believe his father stopped coming around after he quit baseball?
(a) Len did not like Chick's wife.
(b) Len was ashamed of Chick.
(c) Len moved away.
(d) Baseball was their only connection.
4. In a note written to Chick on his wedding day, what does Posey say she knows Chick thinks of the notes?
(a) That they are special.
(b) That they are silly.
(c) That they are well written.
(d) That they are stupid and a waste of time.
5. What kind of scholarship did Chick get to help pay for college?
(a) A baseball scholarship.
(b) A track scholarship.
(c) An academic scholarship.
(d) A football scholarship.
6. What would Posey tell her children when they would ask about patients she cared for who had died?
(a) That they were in a better place.
(b) That they no longer needed her care.
(c) That they went home.
(d) That they no longer felt pain.
7. What is the one thing Len Benetto ever said about Posey to Chick?
(a) She was unfaithful.
(b) She was a nag.
(c) She was selfish.
(d) She was a hardheaded woman.
8. What does Chick imagine his mother saying to him as he performs the Jewish custom she requested at her funeral?
(b) Good boy.
(c) How could you?
(d) Could you do it a little better?
9. What request did Posey make for her own funeral after seeing the custom at Jewish funerals?
(a) That the mourners throw shovels full of dirt on her coffin.
(b) That the mourners bury her before sundown ont he day she died.
(c) That the mourners step on a peice of glass before her coffin.
(d) That the mourners throw roses on her coffin.
10. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
(a) Len Benetto's sister.
(b) Len Benetto's wife.
(c) Len Benetto's mother.
(d) Len Benetto's cousin.
11. What does the caller say when Chick answers the phone at Rose's house?
(a) He asks for Rose's husband, but he is dead.
(b) He tries to sell Chick life insurance.
(c) He speaks Chick's name and says there was an accident.
(d) He says he is Rose's husband, but her husband is dead.
12. How does Chick Benetto feel that he lost his father?
(a) Chick was a poor salesman.
(b) Chick's father disliked Chick's wife.
(c) Chick drank too much and his father disapproved.
(d) Chick turned his back on baseball.
13. What does Miss Thelma's family think she is doing?
(a) Making dinner.
(b) Talking to a friend on the phone.
(d) Working a crossword.
14. Why does Chick calls his mother a hypocrite when she finds an item hidden in his sock drawer when he is only fourteen?
(a) She looks at pornography.
(b) She does drugs.
(c) She drinks.
(d) She smokes.
15. What happens when Chick hears the strange voice a third and final time?
(a) Chick returns to reality.
(b) Chick discovers it has all been a dream.
(c) Chick sees a white light and is separated from his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Miss Thelma's grandchildren come into her bedroom?
2. What is a short stay in baseball called?
3. Who taught Chick how to shave?
4. Why does Posey tell Chick in Section 3: Part 2 that she did not want to ask for money from his father?
5. What does Chick learn about his mother while he and she are visiting with Miss Thelma?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)