|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who taught Chick how to shave?
(a) An uncle.
(b) His mother.
(c) A boyfriend of his mother's.
(d) His father.
2. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
(a) He could have saved her.
(b) That he was not there.
(c) That she died alone.
(d) That Maria found her.
3. How did Posey come to find out about the Italian woman?
(a) She saw a picture of the woman in Len Benetto's wallet.
(b) She went to Collinswood where Len Benetto bought her a house.
(c) She got a phone call from the woman one day.
(d) She heard a rumor from a neighbor.
4. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
(a) His children.
(b) The marriage itself.
(c) His wife.
5. Why did Posey say she wanted to include a unique Jewish custom at her own funeral?
(a) To help the mourners let the body go and celebrate the spirit.
(b) To keep the mourners from getting bored.
(c) To add something unique to her funeral.
(d) To reduce the cost of the funeral.
6. What does Posey stress to Chick as being the most important thing in his life while he is college?
(b) An education.
(c) Making money.
(d) His health.
7. What does Miss Thelma say will be her legacy after she dies?
(a) Her reputation for hard work.
(b) Her grandchildren's laughter.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her children.
8. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
(a) Len Benetto's sister.
(b) Len Benetto's mother.
(c) Len Benetto's cousin.
(d) Len Benetto's wife.
9. Why does Chick lie to his family about a trip out of town on his mother's birthday?
(a) So he can escape a boring party.
(b) So he can see his mistress.
(c) So he can sneak out to get a surprise gift.
(d) So he can play in a baseball game.
10. Who called Posey's house one afternoon while Chick was there in Section 4: Part 1?
(a) Len Benetto.
(d) Miss Thelma.
11. What does Posey say children often do when they are hurting?
(a) Act out in school.
(b) Torture their siblings.
(c) Hide their feelings.
(d) Hurt others.
12. What does Chick consider his best day during his college years?
(a) The day his father walked back into his life.
(b) The day he met Catherine.
(c) The day he was scouted by a professional baseball team.
(d) The day his sister joined him at college.
13. How does Chick Benetto feel that he lost his father?
(a) Chick turned his back on baseball.
(b) Chick's father disliked Chick's wife.
(c) Chick drank too much and his father disapproved.
(d) Chick was a poor salesman.
14. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
(a) His father.
(b) His sister.
(c) Miss Thelma.
(d) His mother.
15. After a night in which Posey thought she heard an intruder in the night, why does Chick say he will be angry with his mother until he leaves that house?
(a) He believes his mother made up the story of an intruder to hide a boyfriend.
(b) He believes it was his mother's fault they were all placed in that danger.
(c) He believes his mother did not protect him well enough.
(d) He believes his father tried to come home and she sent him away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
2. What does Posey tell Chick when he confesses his guilt to her on their one more day together?
3. What does Chick say is the best thing that ever happened to him in his career?
4. What does Miss Thelma's family think she is doing?
5. What does Chick say about this person his mother brags about while doing Rose's hair?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)