|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Italian woman that Posey and Chick go to visit last?
(a) Len Benetto's cousin.
(b) Len Benetto's mother.
(c) Len Benetto's sister.
(d) Len Benetto's wife.
2. When Chick's father asks to drive him home from a college baseball game, what does he do that causes Chick to feel all is right with the world?
(a) Offers to pay for a new glove.
(b) Explains his decision for not seeing Chick throughout his childhood.
(c) Shows respect for the coach.
(d) Apologizes for leaving the family.
3. Why did Posey say she wanted to include a unique Jewish custom at her own funeral?
(a) To add something unique to her funeral.
(b) To help the mourners let the body go and celebrate the spirit.
(c) To keep the mourners from getting bored.
(d) To reduce the cost of the funeral.
4. Why does Chick calls his mother a hypocrite when she finds an item hidden in his sock drawer when he is only fourteen?
(a) She looks at pornography.
(b) She does drugs.
(c) She smokes.
(d) She drinks.
5. What does Posey tell Chick in a note just after he began college is not a license to be mean to girls?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His athletic ability.
(c) His financial status.
(d) His handsomness.
6. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
(a) An elbow injury.
(b) A broken leg.
(c) A knee injury.
(d) A broken arm.
7. What did chick always think was important to a person's memory?
(a) The children he left behind.
(b) The woman he married.
(c) His surname.
(d) The caliber of profession that followed his name.
8. Why does Posey tell Chick in Section 3: Part 2 that she did not want to ask for money from his father?
(a) He did not have it.
(b) She was too proud.
(c) She did not need money.
(d) She did not need any more from him.
9. What is the final thing Posey tells Chick he must love in order to make a marriage work?
(a) His children.
(b) His wife.
(d) The marriage itself.
10. What day does Chick believe was one of the happiest of his mother's life?
(a) The day he began college.
(b) The day he made his first homerun.
(c) The day he graduated high school.
(d) The day he got married.
11. What does Posey say children often do when they are hurting?
(a) Torture their siblings.
(b) Act out in school.
(c) Hurt others.
(d) Hide their feelings.
12. Who is the first woman Chick and Posey visit that day?
(a) Miss Thelma.
(c) The Italian woman.
13. Who does Posey brag about as she works on Rose's hair?
(a) Roberta, her daughter.
(b) Marie, her granddaughter.
(c) Catherine, her daughter-in-law.
(d) Chick, her son.
14. Over dinner, what does Chick request his mother tell him about?
(a) Her family.
(b) Roberta's family.
(c) Miss Thelma's family.
(d) His father's family.
15. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
(a) That Maria found her.
(b) He could have saved her.
(c) That she died alone.
(d) That he was not there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey insist she and Chick do after supper on their one more day together?
2. Where did Chick find his greatest joy during the bleak years after baseball?
3. What three things did Posey once tell Chick he needed to be successful?
4. Who called Posey's house one afternoon while Chick was there in Section 4: Part 1?
5. Why did Chick believe his father stopped coming around after he quit baseball?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)