|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chick come to accept the events taking place after he jumped from the water tower?
(a) He thought he had jumped through a time warp.
(b) He thinks he is dead.
(c) He called it temporary insanity.
(d) He decides it is a hallucination and he should go with it.
2. Why does Chick admit he continued to play baseball all through his childhood?
(a) He hoped it would mean a way out of his mother's house.
(b) He hoped it would help him become rich and famous.
(c) He hoped it would bring his father back into his life.
(d) He hoped it would teach him the values his father should have taught him.
3. Why does Posey tell Chick in Section 3: Part 2 that she did not want to ask for money from his father?
(a) She did not need any more from him.
(b) She was too proud.
(c) She did not need money.
(d) He did not have it.
4. How does Posey react when Chick asks if he can be with her if he dies?
(a) God will not allow it.
(b) Now he wants to be with her.
(c) No, she does not want him around.
(d) Sure, she would love the company.
5. What does Posey stress to Chick as being the most important thing in his life while he is college?
(a) Making money.
(b) An education.
(d) His health.
6. What voice does Chick hear as he goes to answer the door in his mother's house after their visit to Rose?
(a) A bill collector at the door.
(b) An old friend from his childhood.
(c) A man claiming to be a police officer.
(d) A ghost calling to his mother.
7. Why can Posey not find another nursing job?
(a) She no longer felt she could work the hours required.
(b) She was blacklisted by her previous employer.
(c) She no longer liked the work.
(d) There was only one hospital in the county.
8. Who suddenly shows up at one of Chick's college baseball games, causing him to fight back emotion?
(a) Miss Thelma.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
9. What request did Posey make for her own funeral after seeing the custom at Jewish funerals?
(a) That the mourners bury her before sundown ont he day she died.
(b) That the mourners throw roses on her coffin.
(c) That the mourners throw shovels full of dirt on her coffin.
(d) That the mourners step on a peice of glass before her coffin.
10. What does Posey say children often do when they are hurting?
(a) Hurt others.
(b) Act out in school.
(c) Torture their siblings.
(d) Hide their feelings.
11. What does Chick learn about his mother on his fake business trip that makes him regret leaving?
(a) His mother has cancer.
(b) His mother was in a car accident.
(c) His mother had a heart attack.
(d) His mother fell and broke her hip.
12. What injury did Chick suffer during spring training while playing professional baseball?
(a) A broken leg.
(b) A broken arm.
(c) An elbow injury.
(d) A knee injury.
13. What profession did Chick get into after baseball?
(a) Computer programming.
(b) Business owner.
14. What day does Chick believe was one of the happiest of his mother's life?
(a) The day he got married.
(b) The day he graduated high school.
(c) The day he made his first homerun.
(d) The day he began college.
15. What does Chick not want to be, what frightens him about his death?
(a) That he will be remembered as ordinary.
(b) That he will be remembered as a failure.
(c) That he will be remembered as a drunk.
(d) That he will be remembered as the man who alienated his child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick say is the best thing that ever happened to him in his career?
2. What one thing would Chick change about the day his mother died?
3. What does Chick notice as he, his mother, and Miss Thelma drive through town?
4. What would Posey tell her children when they would ask about patients she cared for who had died?
5. What does Rose say is the only part of her that is still young?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)