|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many visits does Posey tell Chick she must make that day?
2. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
3. Why did Posey begin working as a hairstylist when Chick was a child?
(a) She wanted more flexible hours.
(b) She was good at it and she needed a job.
(c) She preferred hairstyling to nursing.
(d) She liked to help old ladies look good for their husbands.
4. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
(a) Old men tossing a ball around.
(b) Kids playing on the beach.
(c) Kids in purple t-shirts pitching and hitting.
(d) A flower filled cemetery.
5. Why does Chick Benetto believe he was not invited to this family event?
(a) He does not get along with his ex-wife.
(b) He does not get along with his extended family.
(c) His drinking made him an embarrassment.
(d) His attitude made him unwelcome.
6. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
(a) Trees spend all day looking up at God.
(b) Trees have special meaning in her religion.
(c) Trees are God's favorite vegetation.
(d) The tree was just convenient.
7. What musical object does Chick compare small towns to?
(a) Clarinet reed.
(c) Piano key.
(d) Violin string.
8. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
(a) What if you got one day to repair all your mistakes.
(b) What if you got one day with a lost love.
(c) What if you got one day to be whoever you want.
(d) What if you got one day back with a dead loved one.
9. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
(a) A list.
(b) A scheme to get rich.
(d) A plan.
10. What does Chick notice his car ran into and is now stopped underneath?
(a) A billboard for a Chevrolet dealership.
(b) A truck.
(c) A billboard for a new breakfast cereal.
(d) A school bus.
11. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
(a) His mother.
(b) A homeless woman.
(c) A bum.
(d) His daughter.
12. Why does Chick say his hometown is called Pepperville Beach?
(a) Someone dreamed of creating a beach there, but never got around to it.
(b) It is a play on words regarding a nearby business.
(c) Some entrepreneur brought sand to the area to create a beach at the lake.
(d) It is a joke among the locals.
13. What word does Posey show Chick carved into the tree?
14. Where does Chick go after he wakes from his fall from the water tower?
(a) To his current home.
(b) To his wife's home.
(c) To his daughter's home.
(d) To his childhood home.
15. How did Posey often spend holidays after the divorce?
(a) Going out with all her new boyfriends.
(b) Working overtime at the hospital.
(c) Throwing parties with just her and the kids.
(d) With friends and neighbors like before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What family event was Chick Benetto not invited to?
2. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
3. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
4. When is the first time Chick heard the word divorcee as a child?
5. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)