|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chick react to the announcement that he was a blessing his mother had waited a long time to receive?
(a) He wanted a drink.
(b) With shame for all he had done wrong over the past few years.
(c) With pride and humility.
(d) He hugged his mother.
2. Which did Chick chose to be as a small child, a daddy's boy or a momma's boy?
(b) Momma's boy.
(d) Daddy's boy.
3. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
(a) At Galveston beach.
(b) At Pepperville Lake.
(c) At church.
(d) At school.
4. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
(a) She wants to hear his voice.
(b) She is hard of hearing.
(c) She wants to savor the words.
(d) She is surprised by his unusual gratitude.
5. Who told Chick he could only be a momma's boy or a daddy's boy, not both?
(a) His father, Len Benetto.
(b) Miss Thelma.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His mother, Posey Benetto.
6. Who brings food to Chick with instructions that he take it home to his family shortly after his parents' divorce?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) A local teacher.
(c) A priest.
(d) A couple of nuns.
7. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
(a) She has visits to make.
(b) She is sending him to the store.
(c) She is taking him to the hospital.
(d) She wants him to leave her alone.
8. What family event was Chick Benetto not invited to?
(a) His daughter's wedding.
(b) His sister's wedding.
(c) His mother's funeral.
(d) His father's funeral.
9. What does the main character think the narrator wants to know about him?
(a) Why he left his familiy.
(b) Why his mother died.
(c) Why he attempted suicide.
(d) Why he drank and drove.
10. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
(a) A delayed invitation.
(b) A letter.
(c) Wedding photos.
(d) A newspaper announcement.
11. Why does Chick sneak out of work in Section 1?
(a) He is called away by a family emergency.
(b) He is unable to concentrate.
(c) He is hung over and depressed.
(d) He is sick.
12. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
(a) A rat.
(d) Stolen computer parts.
13. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
(a) Walking beside the river.
(b) On the railing of a water tower.
(c) In the bleachers of a Little League baseball field.
(d) Mowing the lawn of his mother's house.
14. What one word was the only one Chick could manage to say when his mother, who had been dead eight years, entered the kitchen in Section 2: Part 2?
15. How did Roberta hide the carvings she and Chick made in their mother's kitchen table when their mother returned from work?
(a) A gallon of ice cream.
(b) A gallon of apple juice.
(c) A gallon of koolaide.
(d) A gallon of milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
2. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
3. Who does the narrator claim the story from this novel belongs to?
4. When did Posey stop listening to her favorite song?
5. What does the narrator claim to have spent part of her career doing?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)