|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator stop to do on the way back to the airport in the Introduction?
(a) Have lunch.
(b) Visit the beach.
(c) Buy an ice cream.
(d) Get some coffee.
2. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
(a) He thinks Posey is trying to trick them.
(b) He thinks believing in Santa is childish.
(c) He misses his dad and does not want his mother to try to take her place.
(d) He believes that believing in Santa is hurting Roberta.
3. Who supposedly played in the World Series?
(a) The old man at the beach.
(b) Chick Benetto.
(c) The old man at the cemetery.
(d) Len Benetto.
4. How did Posey often spend holidays after the divorce?
(a) Going out with all her new boyfriends.
(b) With friends and neighbors like before.
(c) Working overtime at the hospital.
(d) Throwing parties with just her and the kids.
5. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
(a) At church.
(b) At school.
(c) At Galveston beach.
(d) At Pepperville Lake.
6. When did Posey stop listening to her favorite song?
(a) When a new song caughter her attention.
(b) When her husband left her.
(c) When the children made fun of her tastes.
(d) When it lost its popularity.
7. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
(a) To add to the mystery.
(b) To make it more suspenseful.
(c) To make it more romantic.
(d) To make it more believable.
8. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
9. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
(a) Is he dead.
(b) Is he ill.
(c) Is Catherine joining them.
(d) Can he stay all day.
10. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
(a) They often spoke of separation.
(b) They often spent time apart.
(c) They always got back together.
(d) They often fought.
11. What does Posey do with this food?
(a) She gives it to a poor neighbor.
(b) She serves it for dinner.
(c) She eats it herself.
(d) She throws it out.
12. What did Chick's mother often slip to Chick whenever she dropped him off somewhere?
13. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
(a) Paper Roses.
(b) Puppy Love.
(c) This Could Be the Start of Something Big.
(d) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
14. Why does Chick refuse to give up baseball even after his father has left the family?
(a) He likes baseball.
(b) He wants to annoy his mother.
(c) He likes the coach.
(d) He still wants a connection to his father.
15. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
(a) To speak to his daughter.
(b) To speak to his wife.
(c) To kill himself.
(d) To drink some more.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which did Chick chose to be as a small child, a daddy's boy or a momma's boy?
2. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
3. Why does Chick's mother tell him she will have to take him to his ball game in Section 2: Part 1?
4. What did Len hope his son would do as an adult?
5. What did Posey and Len fight about most often when Chick was a child?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)