|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chick refuse to give up baseball even after his father has left the family?
(a) He likes the coach.
(b) He wants to annoy his mother.
(c) He still wants a connection to his father.
(d) He likes baseball.
2. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
(a) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
(b) This Could Be the Start of Something Big.
(c) Puppy Love.
(d) Paper Roses.
3. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
(a) She is surprised by his unusual gratitude.
(b) She wants to savor the words.
(c) She wants to hear his voice.
(d) She is hard of hearing.
4. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
(a) His mother.
(b) A bum.
(c) His daughter.
(d) A homeless woman.
5. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
(a) A prayer for a gentler husband.
(b) A prayer for her children's safety.
(c) A prayer for money to provide for her children.
(d) A prayer for a baby.
6. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
(a) A private balcony.
(b) A water tower.
(c) A diving board.
(d) A shopping mall.
7. Why did the narrator come to Pepperville Beach?
(a) To buy a house.
(b) To visit a relative.
(c) To close on a house that had been in the family for years.
(d) To bury a relative.
8. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
(a) She wants him to leave her alone.
(b) She is taking him to the hospital.
(c) She has visits to make.
(d) She is sending him to the store.
9. The narrator says every family is a what?
(a) A joke.
(b) A drama.
(c) A ghost story.
(d) A romance.
10. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
(a) They always got back together.
(b) They often spoke of separation.
(c) They often spent time apart.
(d) They often fought.
11. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
(a) To make his sister laugh.
(b) To make him laugh.
(c) To teach him that you have to show a bully whose boss.
(d) To teach the dog not to mess with people.
12. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
(a) The line between right and wrong.
(b) The line between morality and sin.
(c) The line of no return that leads to suicide.
(d) The line between life and death.
13. What meal that Posey makes does Len Benetto often complain she cannot make properly?
14. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
(a) To add to the mystery.
(b) To make it more suspenseful.
(c) To make it more believable.
(d) To make it more romantic.
15. Who dresses up as Santa on the first Christmas after Len Benetto left his family?
(a) Posey's boyfriend.
(c) Miss Thelma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey do with this food?
2. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
3. What did Chick and his sister use to carve their initials into their mother's kitchen table?
4. Who does the narrator claim the story from this novel belongs to?
5. What family event was Chick Benetto not invited to?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)