|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says every family is a what?
(a) A joke.
(b) A romance.
(c) A ghost story.
(d) A drama.
2. What causes Chick to crash his car in Section 1?
(a) An animal that jumped in front of his car.
(b) His decision to drink.
(c) A car driving in the wrong direction.
(d) His decision to go the wrong way down an on ramp.
3. Who dresses up as Santa on the first Christmas after Len Benetto left his family?
(b) Posey's boyfriend.
(d) Miss Thelma.
4. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
(a) An old man visiting his wife's grave.
(b) A kid pitching a ball.
(c) An old man mowing the grass.
(d) A kid building a sand castle.
5. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
(b) A plan.
(c) A scheme to get rich.
(d) A list.
6. Who did Chick one day catch using binoculars to stare in his mother's bedroom windows shortly after the divorce?
(a) A married neighbor and his son.
(b) A couple kids Chick went to school with.
(c) A friend of his dad's and his son.
(d) His dad and one of his workers.
7. What kind of story does the narrator suggest this novel is?
(a) A family drama.
(b) A romance.
(c) A mystery.
(d) A ghost story.
8. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
(a) Stolen computer parts.
(b) A rat.
9. Why does Chick sneak out of work in Section 1?
(a) He is called away by a family emergency.
(b) He is hung over and depressed.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He is unable to concentrate.
10. What does Chick Benetto blame for the destruction of his marriage?
(a) Money troubles and his excessive drinking.
(b) Infidelity on her part.
(c) Infidelity on his part.
(d) Money troubles and her excessive drinking.
11. Why does Chick's mother tell him she will have to take him to his ball game in Section 2: Part 1?
(a) His father was gone.
(b) His father was out of town.
(c) His father did not want to.
(d) His father had an accident.
12. Who brings food to Chick with instructions that he take it home to his family shortly after his parents' divorce?
(a) A local teacher.
(b) A priest.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) A couple of nuns.
13. Why does the narrator tell the reader in the Introduction that they might not believe the story?
(a) The story is not true.
(b) The narrator does not believe the story.
(c) The story is unusual.
(d) The story revolves around the main characters one day visit with his dead mother.
14. During a night of heavy drinking, where does Chick decide to go?
(a) New York, his daughter's home.
(b) Pepperville Beach, his hometown.
(c) Los Angeles, his sister's home.
(d) Boston, his wife's hometown.
15. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
(a) To help reduce the friction at home.
(b) To spend time with his friends.
(c) To visit with liquor distributors and to manage his new store in a town an hour away.
(d) To spend time with his biological family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Chick he could only be a momma's boy or a daddy's boy, not both?
2. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
3. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
4. What meal that Posey makes does Len Benetto often complain she cannot make properly?
5. What did Chick do about the peeping tom?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)