|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chick's mother tell him she will have to take him to his ball game in Section 2: Part 1?
(a) His father was out of town.
(b) His father did not want to.
(c) His father had an accident.
(d) His father was gone.
2. During a night of heavy drinking, where does Chick decide to go?
(a) Pepperville Beach, his hometown.
(b) Boston, his wife's hometown.
(c) Los Angeles, his sister's home.
(d) New York, his daughter's home.
3. What did Chick do about the peeping tom?
(a) Told his mother.
(b) Told them to stop.
(c) Beat them up.
(d) Called the police on them.
4. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
(a) She wants to hear his voice.
(b) She wants to savor the words.
(c) She is surprised by his unusual gratitude.
(d) She is hard of hearing.
5. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
(a) In the bleachers of a Little League baseball field.
(b) On the railing of a water tower.
(c) Mowing the lawn of his mother's house.
(d) Walking beside the river.
6. Who does the narrator claim the story from this novel belongs to?
(a) Len Benetto.
(b) Maria Benetto.
(c) Charles 'Chick' Benetto.
(d) Pauline 'Posey' Benetto.
7. Who supposedly attempted to kill himself/herself?
(a) Marie Benetto.
(b) Len Benetto.
(c) Chick Benetto.
(d) Posey Benetto.
8. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
(a) Kids playing on the beach.
(b) A flower filled cemetery.
(c) Kids in purple t-shirts pitching and hitting.
(d) Old men tossing a ball around.
9. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
(a) Eat more.
(b) Eat less.
(c) Eat slower.
(d) Eat faster.
10. Who supposedly played in the World Series?
(a) Chick Benetto.
(b) The old man at the cemetery.
(c) The old man at the beach.
(d) Len Benetto.
11. What does Posey do with this food?
(a) She gives it to a poor neighbor.
(b) She eats it herself.
(c) She throws it out.
(d) She serves it for dinner.
12. What one word was the only one Chick could manage to say when his mother, who had been dead eight years, entered the kitchen in Section 2: Part 2?
13. Why did the narrator come to Pepperville Beach?
(a) To visit a relative.
(b) To close on a house that had been in the family for years.
(c) To buy a house.
(d) To bury a relative.
14. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
(a) She is sending him to the store.
(b) She wants him to leave her alone.
(c) She has visits to make.
(d) She is taking him to the hospital.
15. Why did a librarian tell Chick he could not read 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA by Jules Verne?
(a) He did not have a library card.
(b) He was disrespectful to books.
(c) It was too hard for him.
(d) It was to easy for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
2. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
3. How late for work was Chick on the Monday morning after receiving the evidence of the family event he missed?
4. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
5. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)