|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
(a) His father.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
2. Why does the narrator tell the reader in the Introduction that they might not believe the story?
(a) The narrator does not believe the story.
(b) The story is unusual.
(c) The story revolves around the main characters one day visit with his dead mother.
(d) The story is not true.
3. When is the first time Chick heard the word divorcee as a child?
(a) When the housekeeper said it to his mother.
(b) When his father said it after a baseball game.
(c) When his mother said it to a friend.
(d) When his father said it about his mother.
4. What phrase does Chick feel fits him well?
(a) Poor truant, passionate fool.
(b) Tiime will tell.
(c) Life is a beach.
(d) Blundering back to God.
5. The narrator says every family is a what?
(a) A joke.
(b) A drama.
(c) A ghost story.
(d) A romance.
6. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
(a) Eat less.
(b) Eat more.
(c) Eat slower.
(d) Eat faster.
7. Which did Chick chose to be as a small child, a daddy's boy or a momma's boy?
(c) Daddy's boy.
(d) Momma's boy.
8. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
(a) Walking beside the river.
(b) In the bleachers of a Little League baseball field.
(c) Mowing the lawn of his mother's house.
(d) On the railing of a water tower.
9. Who dresses up as Santa on the first Christmas after Len Benetto left his family?
(a) Posey's boyfriend.
(b) Miss Thelma.
10. When did Posey stop listening to her favorite song?
(a) When the children made fun of her tastes.
(b) When her husband left her.
(c) When it lost its popularity.
(d) When a new song caughter her attention.
11. Who did Chick one day catch using binoculars to stare in his mother's bedroom windows shortly after the divorce?
(a) A couple kids Chick went to school with.
(b) His dad and one of his workers.
(c) A married neighbor and his son.
(d) A friend of his dad's and his son.
12. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
(a) Paper Roses.
(b) Puppy Love.
(c) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
(d) This Could Be the Start of Something Big.
13. What did Chick's mother often slip to Chick whenever she dropped him off somewhere?
14. Why does Chick Benetto believe he was not invited to this family event?
(a) His attitude made him unwelcome.
(b) His drinking made him an embarrassment.
(c) He does not get along with his ex-wife.
(d) He does not get along with his extended family.
15. What sport does the narrator claim the main character once played?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Posey create out of toilet paper for Chick's Halloween costume when he is six?
2. What does Posey say when Chick tells her she died?
3. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
4. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
5. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)