|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the doctor who delivered Chick tell Posey she had to deliver by dinner time?
(a) It cost extra if he had to work through dinner.
(b) He had another patient scheduled for surgery.
(c) His wife was making fish sticks.
(d) He did not want her to go hungry.
2. Why does Chick Benetto believe he was not invited to this family event?
(a) His attitude made him unwelcome.
(b) His drinking made him an embarrassment.
(c) He does not get along with his extended family.
(d) He does not get along with his ex-wife.
3. What word does Posey show Chick carved into the tree?
4. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
(a) He thinks believing in Santa is childish.
(b) He misses his dad and does not want his mother to try to take her place.
(c) He believes that believing in Santa is hurting Roberta.
(d) He thinks Posey is trying to trick them.
5. The narrator says every family is a what?
(a) A drama.
(b) A romance.
(c) A ghost story.
(d) A joke.
6. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
(a) At school.
(b) At Galveston beach.
(c) At Pepperville Lake.
(d) At church.
7. Why does Chick say his hometown is called Pepperville Beach?
(a) Some entrepreneur brought sand to the area to create a beach at the lake.
(b) It is a joke among the locals.
(c) Someone dreamed of creating a beach there, but never got around to it.
(d) It is a play on words regarding a nearby business.
8. Who supposedly attempted to kill himself/herself?
(a) Posey Benetto.
(b) Chick Benetto.
(c) Len Benetto.
(d) Marie Benetto.
9. What one thing did Chick notice his parents did together that seemed to make them both happy?
10. Where does Chick go after he wakes from his fall from the water tower?
(a) To his childhood home.
(b) To his daughter's home.
(c) To his wife's home.
(d) To his current home.
11. What profession does the narrator regret telling he/she currently work as?
(a) The narrator is a professional ball player.
(b) The narrator is a doctor.
(c) The narrator is a lawyer.
(d) The narrator is a writer.
12. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
(a) His daughter.
(b) A bum.
(c) A homeless woman.
(d) His mother.
13. When is the first time Chick heard the word divorcee as a child?
(a) When his father said it after a baseball game.
(b) When the housekeeper said it to his mother.
(c) When his mother said it to a friend.
(d) When his father said it about his mother.
14. What does Chick notice his car ran into and is now stopped underneath?
(a) A truck.
(b) A billboard for a new breakfast cereal.
(c) A billboard for a Chevrolet dealership.
(d) A school bus.
15. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
(a) Kids playing on the beach.
(b) Old men tossing a ball around.
(c) A flower filled cemetery.
(d) Kids in purple t-shirts pitching and hitting.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many visits does Posey tell Chick she must make that day?
2. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
3. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
4. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
5. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)