|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
2. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
(a) A prayer for money to provide for her children.
(b) A prayer for her children's safety.
(c) A prayer for a baby.
(d) A prayer for a gentler husband.
3. Why did the doctor who delivered Chick tell Posey she had to deliver by dinner time?
(a) His wife was making fish sticks.
(b) It cost extra if he had to work through dinner.
(c) He had another patient scheduled for surgery.
(d) He did not want her to go hungry.
4. When did Posey stop listening to her favorite song?
(a) When the children made fun of her tastes.
(b) When it lost its popularity.
(c) When a new song caughter her attention.
(d) When her husband left her.
5. Who did Chick one day catch using binoculars to stare in his mother's bedroom windows shortly after the divorce?
(a) A married neighbor and his son.
(b) His dad and one of his workers.
(c) A couple kids Chick went to school with.
(d) A friend of his dad's and his son.
6. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
(a) A shopping mall.
(b) A diving board.
(c) A private balcony.
(d) A water tower.
7. How did Roberta hide the carvings she and Chick made in their mother's kitchen table when their mother returned from work?
(a) A gallon of apple juice.
(b) A gallon of milk.
(c) A gallon of koolaide.
(d) A gallon of ice cream.
8. What did the narrator stop to do on the way back to the airport in the Introduction?
(a) Buy an ice cream.
(b) Get some coffee.
(c) Have lunch.
(d) Visit the beach.
9. Which did Chick chose to be as a small child, a daddy's boy or a momma's boy?
(a) Momma's boy.
(d) Daddy's boy.
10. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
(a) Newspaper articles and death certificates.
(b) Personal notes and legal papers.
(c) Personal notes and a journal.
(d) A diary.
11. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
(a) Stolen computer parts.
(d) A rat.
12. What musical object does Chick compare small towns to?
(b) Violin string.
(c) Clarinet reed.
(d) Piano key.
13. Why does Chick say his hometown is called Pepperville Beach?
(a) It is a play on words regarding a nearby business.
(b) It is a joke among the locals.
(c) Some entrepreneur brought sand to the area to create a beach at the lake.
(d) Someone dreamed of creating a beach there, but never got around to it.
14. What family event was Chick Benetto not invited to?
(a) His daughter's wedding.
(b) His sister's wedding.
(c) His father's funeral.
(d) His mother's funeral.
15. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
(a) Eat slower.
(b) Eat faster.
(c) Eat more.
(d) Eat less.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick think about his visit to his mother two years after her death?
2. How does Chick react to the announcement that he was a blessing his mother had waited a long time to receive?
3. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
4. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
5. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)