|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chick think about his visit to his mother two years after her death?
(a) Chick believes he has died.
(b) Chick begins to question his perceptions.
(c) Chick does not question it at all.
(d) Chick believes he is having an alcohol induced hallucination.
2. What phrase does Chick feel fits him well?
(a) Blundering back to God.
(b) Poor truant, passionate fool.
(c) Tiime will tell.
(d) Life is a beach.
3. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
(a) Is Catherine joining them.
(b) Is he dead.
(c) Can he stay all day.
(d) Is he ill.
4. Who does the narrator claim the story from this novel belongs to?
(a) Maria Benetto.
(b) Len Benetto.
(c) Pauline 'Posey' Benetto.
(d) Charles 'Chick' Benetto.
5. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
(a) The line between morality and sin.
(b) The line of no return that leads to suicide.
(c) The line between right and wrong.
(d) The line between life and death.
6. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
(a) An old man visiting his wife's grave.
(b) A kid building a sand castle.
(c) An old man mowing the grass.
(d) A kid pitching a ball.
7. How does Chick react to the announcement that he was a blessing his mother had waited a long time to receive?
(a) He wanted a drink.
(b) With pride and humility.
(c) With shame for all he had done wrong over the past few years.
(d) He hugged his mother.
8. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
(a) A delayed invitation.
(b) Wedding photos.
(c) A newspaper announcement.
(d) A letter.
9. What does the narrator claim to have spent part of her career doing?
(a) Writing ghost stories.
(b) Writing romances.
(c) Writing mysteries.
(d) Writing about sports.
10. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
(a) To teach him that you have to show a bully whose boss.
(b) To teach the dog not to mess with people.
(c) To make him laugh.
(d) To make his sister laugh.
11. Who supposedly attempted to kill himself/herself?
(a) Len Benetto.
(b) Posey Benetto.
(c) Marie Benetto.
(d) Chick Benetto.
12. When did Posey stop listening to her favorite song?
(a) When her husband left her.
(b) When a new song caughter her attention.
(c) When it lost its popularity.
(d) When the children made fun of her tastes.
13. What does Posey say when Chick tells her she died?
(a) It was just a bad dream.
(b) It was a mistake.
(c) He makes too much of things.
(d) He has a wild imgination.
14. How many visits does Posey tell Chick she must make that day?
15. Who supposedly played in the World Series?
(a) The old man at the cemetery.
(b) The old man at the beach.
(c) Chick Benetto.
(d) Len Benetto.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
2. What did Chick and his sister use to carve their initials into their mother's kitchen table?
3. What one word was the only one Chick could manage to say when his mother, who had been dead eight years, entered the kitchen in Section 2: Part 2?
4. What causes Chick to crash his car in Section 1?
5. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)