|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a night of heavy drinking, where does Chick decide to go?
(a) New York, his daughter's home.
(b) Los Angeles, his sister's home.
(c) Pepperville Beach, his hometown.
(d) Boston, his wife's hometown.
2. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
(a) Trees spend all day looking up at God.
(b) Trees are God's favorite vegetation.
(c) Trees have special meaning in her religion.
(d) The tree was just convenient.
3. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
(a) She is hard of hearing.
(b) She wants to hear his voice.
(c) She wants to savor the words.
(d) She is surprised by his unusual gratitude.
4. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
(a) A newspaper announcement.
(b) A delayed invitation.
(c) Wedding photos.
(d) A letter.
5. Why did Posey begin working as a hairstylist when Chick was a child?
(a) She wanted more flexible hours.
(b) She liked to help old ladies look good for their husbands.
(c) She was good at it and she needed a job.
(d) She preferred hairstyling to nursing.
6. What does Posey create out of toilet paper for Chick's Halloween costume when he is six?
(a) A frankenstein monster.
(b) A mummy.
(c) A marshmellow.
(d) A ghost.
7. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
(a) His mother.
(b) A homeless woman.
(c) A bum.
(d) His daughter.
8. What did the narrator stop to do on the way back to the airport in the Introduction?
(a) Visit the beach.
(b) Buy an ice cream.
(c) Have lunch.
(d) Get some coffee.
9. What does Chick notice his car ran into and is now stopped underneath?
(a) A billboard for a new breakfast cereal.
(b) A school bus.
(c) A truck.
(d) A billboard for a Chevrolet dealership.
10. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His daughter.
11. Who did Chick one day catch using binoculars to stare in his mother's bedroom windows shortly after the divorce?
(a) His dad and one of his workers.
(b) A married neighbor and his son.
(c) A couple kids Chick went to school with.
(d) A friend of his dad's and his son.
12. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
(a) He misses his dad and does not want his mother to try to take her place.
(b) He thinks Posey is trying to trick them.
(c) He thinks believing in Santa is childish.
(d) He believes that believing in Santa is hurting Roberta.
13. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
(a) Personal notes and a journal.
(b) Personal notes and legal papers.
(c) A diary.
(d) Newspaper articles and death certificates.
14. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
(a) A flower filled cemetery.
(b) Kids playing on the beach.
(c) Kids in purple t-shirts pitching and hitting.
(d) Old men tossing a ball around.
15. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
(a) Walking beside the river.
(b) In the bleachers of a Little League baseball field.
(c) On the railing of a water tower.
(d) Mowing the lawn of his mother's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chick Benetto believe he was not invited to this family event?
2. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
3. How many visits does Posey tell Chick she must make that day?
4. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
5. What sport does the narrator claim the main character once played?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)