|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
(a) He believes that believing in Santa is hurting Roberta.
(b) He misses his dad and does not want his mother to try to take her place.
(c) He thinks Posey is trying to trick them.
(d) He thinks believing in Santa is childish.
2. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
3. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
(a) To kill himself.
(b) To speak to his daughter.
(c) To drink some more.
(d) To speak to his wife.
4. Who supposedly played in the World Series?
(a) The old man at the beach.
(b) Chick Benetto.
(c) The old man at the cemetery.
(d) Len Benetto.
5. What does Chick stop at a convenience store to buy in Section 1?
(b) Soda pop.
6. What one word was the only one Chick could manage to say when his mother, who had been dead eight years, entered the kitchen in Section 2: Part 2?
7. What does Posey say when Chick tells her she died?
(a) It was a mistake.
(b) He makes too much of things.
(c) He has a wild imgination.
(d) It was just a bad dream.
8. When did Posey stop listening to her favorite song?
(a) When her husband left her.
(b) When the children made fun of her tastes.
(c) When a new song caughter her attention.
(d) When it lost its popularity.
9. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
(a) Is he ill.
(b) Can he stay all day.
(c) Is he dead.
(d) Is Catherine joining them.
10. What did Posey want Chick to do as an adult?
(a) To be a ball player.
(b) To be well educated.
(c) To be a priest.
(d) To take over his father's liquor stores.
11. Why does Chick claim he did not check on the driver of the truck involved in his accident?
(a) He did not have the courage.
(b) He could see the driver was already out of the car and calling the police.
(c) He could see the driver was fine.
(d) He did not want to be arrested for drunk driving.
12. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
(a) They often spoke of separation.
(b) They always got back together.
(c) They often fought.
(d) They often spent time apart.
13. Why does Chick refuse to give up baseball even after his father has left the family?
(a) He likes baseball.
(b) He still wants a connection to his father.
(c) He likes the coach.
(d) He wants to annoy his mother.
14. What did Chick do about the peeping tom?
(a) Beat them up.
(b) Told his mother.
(c) Told them to stop.
(d) Called the police on them.
15. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
(a) A list.
(c) A plan.
(d) A scheme to get rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
2. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
3. Why does Chick say his hometown is called Pepperville Beach?
4. What does the narrator claim to have spent part of her career doing?
5. What meal that Posey makes does Len Benetto often complain she cannot make properly?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)