|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
(a) An old man mowing the grass.
(b) A kid building a sand castle.
(c) An old man visiting his wife's grave.
(d) A kid pitching a ball.
2. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
(a) What if you got one day to be whoever you want.
(b) What if you got one day back with a dead loved one.
(c) What if you got one day to repair all your mistakes.
(d) What if you got one day with a lost love.
3. Which did Chick chose to be as a small child, a daddy's boy or a momma's boy?
(b) Daddy's boy.
(c) Momma's boy.
4. What did Chick and his sister use to carve their initials into their mother's kitchen table?
(a) Pocket knives.
(b) Razor blades.
(c) Steak knives.
5. Why did a librarian tell Chick he could not read 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA by Jules Verne?
(a) It was too hard for him.
(b) He was disrespectful to books.
(c) He did not have a library card.
(d) It was to easy for him.
6. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
(a) A rat.
(d) Stolen computer parts.
7. What did Posey and Len fight about most often when Chick was a child?
(c) Len's drinking.
8. What one thing did Chick notice his parents did together that seemed to make them both happy?
9. How did Roberta hide the carvings she and Chick made in their mother's kitchen table when their mother returned from work?
(a) A gallon of apple juice.
(b) A gallon of milk.
(c) A gallon of koolaide.
(d) A gallon of ice cream.
10. Who does the narrator claim the story from this novel belongs to?
(a) Charles 'Chick' Benetto.
(b) Pauline 'Posey' Benetto.
(c) Len Benetto.
(d) Maria Benetto.
11. What did Chick's mother often slip to Chick whenever she dropped him off somewhere?
12. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
(a) To teach him that you have to show a bully whose boss.
(b) To make his sister laugh.
(c) To make him laugh.
(d) To teach the dog not to mess with people.
13. What does the main character think the narrator wants to know about him?
(a) Why he left his familiy.
(b) Why his mother died.
(c) Why he attempted suicide.
(d) Why he drank and drove.
14. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
(a) A diary.
(b) Newspaper articles and death certificates.
(c) Personal notes and a journal.
(d) Personal notes and legal papers.
15. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
(a) She was full of too much bad advice.
(b) She was rude and unkind.
(c) She was smothering him.
(d) She was too critical.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
2. What meal that Posey makes does Len Benetto often complain she cannot make properly?
3. Who dresses up as Santa on the first Christmas after Len Benetto left his family?
4. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
5. Why does Chick Benetto believe he was not invited to this family event?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)