|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
(a) A delayed invitation.
(b) A letter.
(c) A newspaper announcement.
(d) Wedding photos.
2. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
(a) Eat slower.
(b) Eat less.
(c) Eat more.
(d) Eat faster.
3. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
(a) At Galveston beach.
(b) At church.
(c) At Pepperville Lake.
(d) At school.
4. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
(a) She was too critical.
(b) She was full of too much bad advice.
(c) She was smothering him.
(d) She was rude and unkind.
5. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
(a) To make it more suspenseful.
(b) To make it more believable.
(c) To add to the mystery.
(d) To make it more romantic.
6. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
(a) Can he stay all day.
(b) Is Catherine joining them.
(c) Is he ill.
(d) Is he dead.
7. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
(a) A bum.
(b) A homeless woman.
(c) His mother.
(d) His daughter.
8. Who does the narrator claim the story from this novel belongs to?
(a) Pauline 'Posey' Benetto.
(b) Maria Benetto.
(c) Len Benetto.
(d) Charles 'Chick' Benetto.
9. The narrator says every family is a what?
(a) A romance.
(b) A ghost story.
(c) A joke.
(d) A drama.
10. Why did a librarian tell Chick he could not read 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA by Jules Verne?
(a) He was disrespectful to books.
(b) He did not have a library card.
(c) It was to easy for him.
(d) It was too hard for him.
11. How late for work was Chick on the Monday morning after receiving the evidence of the family event he missed?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One hour.
12. Where does Chick go after he wakes from his fall from the water tower?
(a) To his childhood home.
(b) To his daughter's home.
(c) To his current home.
(d) To his wife's home.
13. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
(a) His father.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
14. Why did the doctor who delivered Chick tell Posey she had to deliver by dinner time?
(a) His wife was making fish sticks.
(b) He had another patient scheduled for surgery.
(c) It cost extra if he had to work through dinner.
(d) He did not want her to go hungry.
15. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
(a) At their favorite Italian restaurant.
(b) At the same place where they met.
(c) In a note scribbled in class.
(d) In a letter from Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
2. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
3. Who brings food to Chick with instructions that he take it home to his family shortly after his parents' divorce?
4. When is the first time Chick heard the word divorcee as a child?
5. What kind of story does the narrator suggest this novel is?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)