|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told Chick he could only be a momma's boy or a daddy's boy, not both?
(a) Miss Thelma.
(b) His mother, Posey Benetto.
(c) His father, Len Benetto.
(d) His grandmother.
2. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
(a) What if you got one day to be whoever you want.
(b) What if you got one day back with a dead loved one.
(c) What if you got one day to repair all your mistakes.
(d) What if you got one day with a lost love.
3. When did Posey stop listening to her favorite song?
(a) When it lost its popularity.
(b) When her husband left her.
(c) When a new song caughter her attention.
(d) When the children made fun of her tastes.
4. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
(a) Eat less.
(b) Eat faster.
(c) Eat slower.
(d) Eat more.
5. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
(a) The tree was just convenient.
(b) Trees have special meaning in her religion.
(c) Trees are God's favorite vegetation.
(d) Trees spend all day looking up at God.
6. Why does Chick sneak out of work in Section 1?
(a) He is called away by a family emergency.
(b) He is unable to concentrate.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He is hung over and depressed.
7. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
(b) A scheme to get rich.
(c) A list.
(d) A plan.
8. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
(a) At Galveston beach.
(b) At Pepperville Lake.
(c) At church.
(d) At school.
9. What did Chick do about the peeping tom?
(a) Beat them up.
(b) Called the police on them.
(c) Told them to stop.
(d) Told his mother.
10. What profession does the narrator regret telling he/she currently work as?
(a) The narrator is a lawyer.
(b) The narrator is a professional ball player.
(c) The narrator is a doctor.
(d) The narrator is a writer.
11. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
(a) Can he stay all day.
(b) Is Catherine joining them.
(c) Is he ill.
(d) Is he dead.
12. Why did Posey begin working as a hairstylist when Chick was a child?
(a) She preferred hairstyling to nursing.
(b) She wanted more flexible hours.
(c) She liked to help old ladies look good for their husbands.
(d) She was good at it and she needed a job.
13. How did Posey often spend holidays after the divorce?
(a) With friends and neighbors like before.
(b) Throwing parties with just her and the kids.
(c) Going out with all her new boyfriends.
(d) Working overtime at the hospital.
14. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
(a) A shopping mall.
(b) A diving board.
(c) A water tower.
(d) A private balcony.
15. What does Chick feel is unbalanced in the lists he made regarding his and his mother's love for one another?
(a) Chick feels he did not stand up enough for his mother.
(b) Chick feels he let both his parents down.
(c) Chick feels there is no unbalance.
(d) Chick feels his mother did not stand up enough for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came to Chick's defense when the librarian refused to allow him to check out the book he wanted?
2. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
3. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
4. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
5. What does Chick Benetto blame for the destruction of his marriage?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)