|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the main character think the narrator wants to know about him?
(a) Why he attempted suicide.
(b) Why his mother died.
(c) Why he left his familiy.
(d) Why he drank and drove.
2. What did Chick do about the peeping tom?
(a) Told them to stop.
(b) Called the police on them.
(c) Told his mother.
(d) Beat them up.
3. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
(b) A rat.
(d) Stolen computer parts.
4. Why did Posey begin working as a hairstylist when Chick was a child?
(a) She preferred hairstyling to nursing.
(b) She was good at it and she needed a job.
(c) She liked to help old ladies look good for their husbands.
(d) She wanted more flexible hours.
5. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
(a) A prayer for money to provide for her children.
(b) A prayer for a baby.
(c) A prayer for her children's safety.
(d) A prayer for a gentler husband.
6. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
(a) A homeless woman.
(b) A bum.
(c) His mother.
(d) His daughter.
7. Who supposedly attempted to kill himself/herself?
(a) Len Benetto.
(b) Posey Benetto.
(c) Chick Benetto.
(d) Marie Benetto.
8. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
(a) Eat slower.
(b) Eat more.
(c) Eat less.
(d) Eat faster.
9. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
(a) A water tower.
(b) A shopping mall.
(c) A diving board.
(d) A private balcony.
10. Who came to Chick's defense when the librarian refused to allow him to check out the book he wanted?
(a) His friend.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His teacher.
11. Why does Chick sneak out of work in Section 1?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He is called away by a family emergency.
(c) He is hung over and depressed.
(d) He is unable to concentrate.
12. What did Posey and Len fight about most often when Chick was a child?
(d) Len's drinking.
13. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
(a) At church.
(b) At school.
(c) At Pepperville Lake.
(d) At Galveston beach.
14. What one thing did Chick notice his parents did together that seemed to make them both happy?
15. Why does the narrator tell the reader in the Introduction that they might not believe the story?
(a) The story is unusual.
(b) The story is not true.
(c) The story revolves around the main characters one day visit with his dead mother.
(d) The narrator does not believe the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did a librarian tell Chick he could not read 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA by Jules Verne?
2. What did the narrator stop to do on the way back to the airport in the Introduction?
3. What does Chick Benetto blame for the destruction of his marriage?
4. Where does Chick go after he wakes from his fall from the water tower?
5. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)