|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which did Chick chose to be as a small child, a daddy's boy or a momma's boy?
(c) Momma's boy.
(d) Daddy's boy.
2. Why did the doctor who delivered Chick tell Posey she had to deliver by dinner time?
(a) It cost extra if he had to work through dinner.
(b) He did not want her to go hungry.
(c) His wife was making fish sticks.
(d) He had another patient scheduled for surgery.
3. What phrase does Chick feel fits him well?
(a) Tiime will tell.
(b) Life is a beach.
(c) Blundering back to God.
(d) Poor truant, passionate fool.
4. Why does Chick say his hometown is called Pepperville Beach?
(a) It is a play on words regarding a nearby business.
(b) Some entrepreneur brought sand to the area to create a beach at the lake.
(c) Someone dreamed of creating a beach there, but never got around to it.
(d) It is a joke among the locals.
5. What does Chick feel is unbalanced in the lists he made regarding his and his mother's love for one another?
(a) Chick feels he did not stand up enough for his mother.
(b) Chick feels he let both his parents down.
(c) Chick feels there is no unbalance.
(d) Chick feels his mother did not stand up enough for him.
6. What one word was the only one Chick could manage to say when his mother, who had been dead eight years, entered the kitchen in Section 2: Part 2?
7. What does Chick stop at a convenience store to buy in Section 1?
(d) Soda pop.
8. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
(a) Trees have special meaning in her religion.
(b) The tree was just convenient.
(c) Trees spend all day looking up at God.
(d) Trees are God's favorite vegetation.
9. Who supposedly played in the World Series?
(a) The old man at the cemetery.
(b) Len Benetto.
(c) Chick Benetto.
(d) The old man at the beach.
10. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
(a) At Galveston beach.
(b) At church.
(c) At Pepperville Lake.
(d) At school.
11. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
(a) She wants to hear his voice.
(b) She wants to savor the words.
(c) She is surprised by his unusual gratitude.
(d) She is hard of hearing.
12. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
(a) He thinks believing in Santa is childish.
(b) He misses his dad and does not want his mother to try to take her place.
(c) He thinks Posey is trying to trick them.
(d) He believes that believing in Santa is hurting Roberta.
13. What does Chick notice his car ran into and is now stopped underneath?
(a) A billboard for a Chevrolet dealership.
(b) A school bus.
(c) A billboard for a new breakfast cereal.
(d) A truck.
14. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
(a) To make it more romantic.
(b) To add to the mystery.
(c) To make it more suspenseful.
(d) To make it more believable.
15. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
(a) Eat faster.
(b) Eat more.
(c) Eat less.
(d) Eat slower.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
2. During a night of heavy drinking, where does Chick decide to go?
3. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
4. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
5. Who did Chick one day catch using binoculars to stare in his mother's bedroom windows shortly after the divorce?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)