|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
(a) An old man mowing the grass.
(b) A kid building a sand castle.
(c) A kid pitching a ball.
(d) An old man visiting his wife's grave.
2. What does Posey create out of toilet paper for Chick's Halloween costume when he is six?
(a) A mummy.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A marshmellow.
(d) A frankenstein monster.
3. Who dresses up as Santa on the first Christmas after Len Benetto left his family?
(a) Posey's boyfriend.
(c) Miss Thelma.
4. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
(a) At their favorite Italian restaurant.
(b) In a note scribbled in class.
(c) In a letter from Italy.
(d) At the same place where they met.
5. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
(a) She was full of too much bad advice.
(b) She was too critical.
(c) She was smothering him.
(d) She was rude and unkind.
6. What does Chick Benetto blame for the destruction of his marriage?
(a) Infidelity on her part.
(b) Infidelity on his part.
(c) Money troubles and her excessive drinking.
(d) Money troubles and his excessive drinking.
7. Which did Chick chose to be as a small child, a daddy's boy or a momma's boy?
(b) Momma's boy.
(c) Daddy's boy.
8. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
(c) Stolen computer parts.
(d) A rat.
9. Who does the narrator claim the story from this novel belongs to?
(a) Charles 'Chick' Benetto.
(b) Maria Benetto.
(c) Pauline 'Posey' Benetto.
(d) Len Benetto.
10. What does Chick notice his car ran into and is now stopped underneath?
(a) A billboard for a new breakfast cereal.
(b) A billboard for a Chevrolet dealership.
(c) A truck.
(d) A school bus.
11. How does Chick react to the announcement that he was a blessing his mother had waited a long time to receive?
(a) He wanted a drink.
(b) With pride and humility.
(c) With shame for all he had done wrong over the past few years.
(d) He hugged his mother.
12. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
(b) A plan.
(c) A scheme to get rich.
(d) A list.
13. Why did the narrator come to Pepperville Beach?
(a) To buy a house.
(b) To bury a relative.
(c) To close on a house that had been in the family for years.
(d) To visit a relative.
14. How did Posey often spend holidays after the divorce?
(a) Throwing parties with just her and the kids.
(b) Working overtime at the hospital.
(c) With friends and neighbors like before.
(d) Going out with all her new boyfriends.
15. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
(a) A prayer for a baby.
(b) A prayer for a gentler husband.
(c) A prayer for money to provide for her children.
(d) A prayer for her children's safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came to Chick's defense when the librarian refused to allow him to check out the book he wanted?
2. Why does Chick's mother tell him she will have to take him to his ball game in Section 2: Part 1?
3. Who brings food to Chick with instructions that he take it home to his family shortly after his parents' divorce?
4. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
5. Who supposedly played in the World Series?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)