|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Posey often spend holidays after the divorce?
(a) Going out with all her new boyfriends.
(b) Working overtime at the hospital.
(c) With friends and neighbors like before.
(d) Throwing parties with just her and the kids.
2. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
(a) A newspaper announcement.
(b) A letter.
(c) Wedding photos.
(d) A delayed invitation.
3. When is the first time Chick heard the word divorcee as a child?
(a) When the housekeeper said it to his mother.
(b) When his father said it about his mother.
(c) When his father said it after a baseball game.
(d) When his mother said it to a friend.
4. How late for work was Chick on the Monday morning after receiving the evidence of the family event he missed?
(a) Four hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Three hours.
5. Why does Chick's mother tell him she will have to take him to his ball game in Section 2: Part 1?
(a) His father did not want to.
(b) His father had an accident.
(c) His father was gone.
(d) His father was out of town.
6. What did Chick's mother often slip to Chick whenever she dropped him off somewhere?
7. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
(a) To speak to his daughter.
(b) To kill himself.
(c) To drink some more.
(d) To speak to his wife.
8. What did Len hope his son would do as an adult?
(a) Take over his liquor stores.
(b) Become a dentist.
(c) Become a doctor.
(d) Make the major leagues.
9. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
(a) A diary.
(b) Personal notes and a journal.
(c) Newspaper articles and death certificates.
(d) Personal notes and legal papers.
10. Why does the narrator tell the reader in the Introduction that they might not believe the story?
(a) The story is not true.
(b) The story is unusual.
(c) The story revolves around the main characters one day visit with his dead mother.
(d) The narrator does not believe the story.
11. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
12. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
(a) A list.
(c) A plan.
(d) A scheme to get rich.
13. Who told Chick he could only be a momma's boy or a daddy's boy, not both?
(a) Miss Thelma.
(b) His mother, Posey Benetto.
(c) His father, Len Benetto.
(d) His grandmother.
14. What causes Chick to crash his car in Section 1?
(a) His decision to drink.
(b) An animal that jumped in front of his car.
(c) His decision to go the wrong way down an on ramp.
(d) A car driving in the wrong direction.
15. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
(a) To teach the dog not to mess with people.
(b) To teach him that you have to show a bully whose boss.
(c) To make him laugh.
(d) To make his sister laugh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
2. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
3. What kind of story does the narrator suggest this novel is?
4. What does Chick think about his visit to his mother two years after her death?
5. How did Roberta hide the carvings she and Chick made in their mother's kitchen table when their mother returned from work?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)