|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Posey stop listening to her favorite song?
(a) When her husband left her.
(b) When it lost its popularity.
(c) When the children made fun of her tastes.
(d) When a new song caughter her attention.
2. What does Posey remind Chick to do as he eats?
(a) Eat less.
(b) Eat more.
(c) Eat faster.
(d) Eat slower.
3. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
(a) He thinks Posey is trying to trick them.
(b) He believes that believing in Santa is hurting Roberta.
(c) He misses his dad and does not want his mother to try to take her place.
(d) He thinks believing in Santa is childish.
4. Why did the narrator come to Pepperville Beach?
(a) To buy a house.
(b) To close on a house that had been in the family for years.
(c) To bury a relative.
(d) To visit a relative.
5. What musical object does Chick compare small towns to?
(a) Clarinet reed.
(b) Violin string.
(d) Piano key.
6. Why does Posey ask Chick to put on his coat after he has finished eating?
(a) She is sending him to the store.
(b) She wants him to leave her alone.
(c) She has visits to make.
(d) She is taking him to the hospital.
7. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
(a) Is he ill.
(b) Is Catherine joining them.
(c) Is he dead.
(d) Can he stay all day.
8. Why did the doctor who delivered Chick tell Posey she had to deliver by dinner time?
(a) It cost extra if he had to work through dinner.
(b) His wife was making fish sticks.
(c) He had another patient scheduled for surgery.
(d) He did not want her to go hungry.
9. Which did Chick chose to be as a small child, a daddy's boy or a momma's boy?
(b) Momma's boy.
(d) Daddy's boy.
10. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
(a) She is hard of hearing.
(b) She is surprised by his unusual gratitude.
(c) She wants to hear his voice.
(d) She wants to savor the words.
11. What kind of story does the narrator suggest this novel is?
(a) A family drama.
(b) A mystery.
(c) A romance.
(d) A ghost story.
12. What did Chick's mother often slip to Chick whenever she dropped him off somewhere?
13. Who did Chick one day catch using binoculars to stare in his mother's bedroom windows shortly after the divorce?
(a) A couple kids Chick went to school with.
(b) A married neighbor and his son.
(c) His dad and one of his workers.
(d) A friend of his dad's and his son.
14. Who does Chick call after sneaking out of work in Section 1?
(a) His mother, Posey.
(b) His ex-wife, Catherine.
(c) His daughter, Marie.
(d) His father, Len.
15. How late for work was Chick on the Monday morning after receiving the evidence of the family event he missed?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) One hour.
(d) Three hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls down to Chick from upstairs as he stands in the kitchen of his mother's abandoned house in Section 2, Part 1?
2. Why does Chick claim he did not check on the driver of the truck involved in his accident?
3. The narrator says every family is a what?
4. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
5. What one word was the only one Chick could manage to say when his mother, who had been dead eight years, entered the kitchen in Section 2: Part 2?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)