|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
(a) Kids in purple t-shirts pitching and hitting.
(b) Old men tossing a ball around.
(c) Kids playing on the beach.
(d) A flower filled cemetery.
2. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
(a) He thinks Posey is trying to trick them.
(b) He believes that believing in Santa is hurting Roberta.
(c) He thinks believing in Santa is childish.
(d) He misses his dad and does not want his mother to try to take her place.
3. What does Chick think about his visit to his mother two years after her death?
(a) Chick does not question it at all.
(b) Chick begins to question his perceptions.
(c) Chick believes he has died.
(d) Chick believes he is having an alcohol induced hallucination.
4. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
(a) A prayer for her children's safety.
(b) A prayer for a baby.
(c) A prayer for money to provide for her children.
(d) A prayer for a gentler husband.
5. How late for work was Chick on the Monday morning after receiving the evidence of the family event he missed?
(a) Two hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Four hours.
6. Where does the narrator claim to have found the main character of this novel one Saturday morning?
(a) Mowing the lawn of his mother's house.
(b) On the railing of a water tower.
(c) In the bleachers of a Little League baseball field.
(d) Walking beside the river.
7. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
(a) A delayed invitation.
(b) Wedding photos.
(c) A newspaper announcement.
(d) A letter.
8. How did Roberta hide the carvings she and Chick made in their mother's kitchen table when their mother returned from work?
(a) A gallon of milk.
(b) A gallon of apple juice.
(c) A gallon of ice cream.
(d) A gallon of koolaide.
9. Who does Chick call after sneaking out of work in Section 1?
(a) His ex-wife, Catherine.
(b) His mother, Posey.
(c) His father, Len.
(d) His daughter, Marie.
10. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
(a) Newspaper articles and death certificates.
(b) Personal notes and a journal.
(c) A diary.
(d) Personal notes and legal papers.
11. How many visits does Posey tell Chick she must make that day?
12. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
(a) This Could Be the Start of Something Big.
(b) Paper Roses.
(c) Puppy Love.
(d) Are You Lonesome Tonight?
13. Who supposedly attempted to kill himself/herself?
(a) Len Benetto.
(b) Marie Benetto.
(c) Posey Benetto.
(d) Chick Benetto.
14. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
(a) To make it more romantic.
(b) To make it more believable.
(c) To add to the mystery.
(d) To make it more suspenseful.
15. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
(a) They always got back together.
(b) They often fought.
(c) They often spent time apart.
(d) They often spoke of separation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
2. What did Chick do about the peeping tom?
3. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
4. Why does Chick say his hometown is called Pepperville Beach?
5. What does Posey say when Chick tells her she died?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)