|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
(a) His ten year old son.
(b) His wife.
(c) His sister.
(d) His fourteen year old daughter.
2. What did Posey want Chick to do as an adult?
(a) To be a priest.
(b) To take over his father's liquor stores.
(c) To be a ball player.
(d) To be well educated.
3. Why does the narrator tell the reader in the Introduction that they might not believe the story?
(a) The story is not true.
(b) The story revolves around the main characters one day visit with his dead mother.
(c) The narrator does not believe the story.
(d) The story is unusual.
4. What did Chick and his sister use to carve their initials into their mother's kitchen table?
(a) Pocket knives.
(b) Razor blades.
(c) Steak knives.
5. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
(a) A diving board.
(b) A private balcony.
(c) A shopping mall.
(d) A water tower.
6. What meal that Posey makes does Len Benetto often complain she cannot make properly?
7. What kind of story does the narrator suggest this novel is?
(a) A romance.
(b) A ghost story.
(c) A family drama.
(d) A mystery.
8. What meal does Posey fix for Chick in the present as he sits at the kitchen table?
9. What did Chick's mother often slip to Chick whenever she dropped him off somewhere?
10. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
(a) A prayer for a gentler husband.
(b) A prayer for money to provide for her children.
(c) A prayer for her children's safety.
(d) A prayer for a baby.
11. What musical object does Chick compare small towns to?
(a) Violin string.
(c) Piano key.
(d) Clarinet reed.
12. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
(a) What if you got one day back with a dead loved one.
(b) What if you got one day to be whoever you want.
(c) What if you got one day to repair all your mistakes.
(d) What if you got one day with a lost love.
13. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
(a) Trees are God's favorite vegetation.
(b) The tree was just convenient.
(c) Trees spend all day looking up at God.
(d) Trees have special meaning in her religion.
14. What does Posey do with this food?
(a) She gives it to a poor neighbor.
(b) She eats it herself.
(c) She throws it out.
(d) She serves it for dinner.
15. Who told Chick he could only be a momma's boy or a daddy's boy, not both?
(a) His mother, Posey Benetto.
(b) Miss Thelma.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His father, Len Benetto.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
2. What line does Chick Benetto feel he crossed?
3. Who does Chick find looking at him as he recovers from his jump in section 1?
4. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
5. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)