|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see that draws her to the place where she will meet the main character of the novel?
(a) Old men tossing a ball around.
(b) Kids in purple t-shirts pitching and hitting.
(c) A flower filled cemetery.
(d) Kids playing on the beach.
2. What profession does the narrator regret telling he/she currently work as?
(a) The narrator is a professional ball player.
(b) The narrator is a writer.
(c) The narrator is a doctor.
(d) The narrator is a lawyer.
3. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
(a) A prayer for money to provide for her children.
(b) A prayer for a gentler husband.
(c) A prayer for a baby.
(d) A prayer for her children's safety.
4. Why does Chick sneak out of work in Section 1?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He is called away by a family emergency.
(c) He is hung over and depressed.
(d) He is unable to concentrate.
5. Why does Chick's mother tell him she will have to take him to his ball game in Section 2: Part 1?
(a) His father had an accident.
(b) His father was out of town.
(c) His father did not want to.
(d) His father was gone.
6. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
(a) What if you got one day to be whoever you want.
(b) What if you got one day to repair all your mistakes.
(c) What if you got one day with a lost love.
(d) What if you got one day back with a dead loved one.
7. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
(a) A list.
(b) A scheme to get rich.
(c) A plan.
8. Why does the narrator tell the reader in the Introduction that they might not believe the story?
(a) The story revolves around the main characters one day visit with his dead mother.
(b) The story is not true.
(c) The narrator does not believe the story.
(d) The story is unusual.
9. Who told Chick he could only be a momma's boy or a daddy's boy, not both?
(a) His father, Len Benetto.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His mother, Posey Benetto.
(d) Miss Thelma.
10. What sport does the narrator claim the main character once played?
11. What meal that Posey makes does Len Benetto often complain she cannot make properly?
12. What did Len hope his son would do as an adult?
(a) Make the major leagues.
(b) Take over his liquor stores.
(c) Become a dentist.
(d) Become a doctor.
13. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
(a) Can he stay all day.
(b) Is Catherine joining them.
(c) Is he ill.
(d) Is he dead.
14. What does Chick stop at a convenience store to buy in Section 1?
(d) Soda pop.
15. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
(a) At church.
(b) At Pepperville Lake.
(c) At Galveston beach.
(d) At school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who supposedly played in the World Series?
2. What word does Posey show Chick carved into the tree?
3. Why does Posey ask Chick to repeat himself when he tells her thank you for the meal?
4. How late for work was Chick on the Monday morning after receiving the evidence of the family event he missed?
5. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)