|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
(a) To spend time with his biological family.
(b) To spend time with his friends.
(c) To visit with liquor distributors and to manage his new store in a town an hour away.
(d) To help reduce the friction at home.
2. Who brings food to Chick with instructions that he take it home to his family shortly after his parents' divorce?
(a) A couple of nuns.
(b) A local teacher.
(c) A priest.
(d) A neighbor.
3. What does Chick feel is unbalanced in the lists he made regarding his and his mother's love for one another?
(a) Chick feels there is no unbalance.
(b) Chick feels he let both his parents down.
(c) Chick feels his mother did not stand up enough for him.
(d) Chick feels he did not stand up enough for his mother.
4. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
(a) They often spoke of separation.
(b) They often spent time apart.
(c) They always got back together.
(d) They often fought.
5. Why does Chick refuse to give up baseball even after his father has left the family?
(a) He likes the coach.
(b) He likes baseball.
(c) He wants to annoy his mother.
(d) He still wants a connection to his father.
6. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
(a) A prayer for a baby.
(b) A prayer for her children's safety.
(c) A prayer for money to provide for her children.
(d) A prayer for a gentler husband.
7. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
(a) She was smothering him.
(b) She was rude and unkind.
(c) She was full of too much bad advice.
(d) She was too critical.
8. Why did the narrator come to Pepperville Beach?
(a) To buy a house.
(b) To visit a relative.
(c) To bury a relative.
(d) To close on a house that had been in the family for years.
9. What does Chick Benetto blame for the destruction of his marriage?
(a) Infidelity on her part.
(b) Infidelity on his part.
(c) Money troubles and his excessive drinking.
(d) Money troubles and her excessive drinking.
10. What word does Posey show Chick carved into the tree?
11. What did the narrator stop to do on the way back to the airport in the Introduction?
(a) Have lunch.
(b) Get some coffee.
(c) Visit the beach.
(d) Buy an ice cream.
12. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
(a) A kid pitching a ball.
(b) An old man mowing the grass.
(c) An old man visiting his wife's grave.
(d) A kid building a sand castle.
13. What does Posey say when Chick tells her she died?
(a) He has a wild imgination.
(b) It was just a bad dream.
(c) It was a mistake.
(d) He makes too much of things.
14. What sport does the narrator claim the main character once played?
15. Why does Chick Benetto believe he was not invited to this family event?
(a) He does not get along with his extended family.
(b) He does not get along with his ex-wife.
(c) His attitude made him unwelcome.
(d) His drinking made him an embarrassment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chick stop at a convenience store to buy in Section 1?
2. Who does the narrator claim the story from this novel belongs to?
3. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
4. Why does Chick recall that his mother barked at a neighborhood dog?
5. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)