|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
(a) To make it more suspenseful.
(b) To make it more believable.
(c) To make it more romantic.
(d) To add to the mystery.
2. What profession does the narrator regret telling he/she currently work as?
(a) The narrator is a lawyer.
(b) The narrator is a doctor.
(c) The narrator is a writer.
(d) The narrator is a professional ball player.
3. What one thing did Chick notice his parents did together that seemed to make them both happy?
4. What was it that Chick insists his father always had in mind?
(a) A list.
(b) A plan.
(d) A scheme to get rich.
5. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
(a) She was rude and unkind.
(b) She was too critical.
(c) She was full of too much bad advice.
(d) She was smothering him.
6. During a night of heavy drinking, where does Chick decide to go?
(a) Pepperville Beach, his hometown.
(b) Boston, his wife's hometown.
(c) New York, his daughter's home.
(d) Los Angeles, his sister's home.
7. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
(a) At Galveston beach.
(b) At Pepperville Lake.
(c) At school.
(d) At church.
8. What does Chick think about his visit to his mother two years after her death?
(a) Chick does not question it at all.
(b) Chick believes he is having an alcohol induced hallucination.
(c) Chick begins to question his perceptions.
(d) Chick believes he has died.
9. Why did the narrator come to Pepperville Beach?
(a) To buy a house.
(b) To close on a house that had been in the family for years.
(c) To bury a relative.
(d) To visit a relative.
10. What does Chick intend to do once he arrives at his destination in Section 2: Part 1?
(a) To speak to his daughter.
(b) To speak to his wife.
(c) To kill himself.
(d) To drink some more.
11. What does Posey tell Chick this word is supposed to represent?
(a) A prayer for a gentler husband.
(b) A prayer for money to provide for her children.
(c) A prayer for her children's safety.
(d) A prayer for a baby.
12. Who brings food to Chick with instructions that he take it home to his family shortly after his parents' divorce?
(a) A priest.
(b) A couple of nuns.
(c) A local teacher.
(d) A neighbor.
13. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
(a) His wife.
(b) His ten year old son.
(c) His fourteen year old daughter.
(d) His sister.
14. Where does Chick go after he wakes from his fall from the water tower?
(a) To his wife's home.
(b) To his daughter's home.
(c) To his childhood home.
(d) To his current home.
15. Who supposedly attempted to kill himself/herself?
(a) Chick Benetto.
(b) Posey Benetto.
(c) Len Benetto.
(d) Marie Benetto.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the main character think the narrator wants to know about him?
2. What word does Posey show Chick carved into the tree?
3. What does Chick find in the refrigerator of his mother's long empty house?
4. What kind of story does the narrator suggest this novel is?
5. What song does Chick recall that his mother liked when he was a child?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)