|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator tell the reader in the Introduction that they might not believe the story?
(a) The narrator does not believe the story.
(b) The story revolves around the main characters one day visit with his dead mother.
(c) The story is not true.
(d) The story is unusual.
2. What one word was the only one Chick could manage to say when his mother, who had been dead eight years, entered the kitchen in Section 2: Part 2?
3. Why does Chick say his hometown is called Pepperville Beach?
(a) It is a play on words regarding a nearby business.
(b) It is a joke among the locals.
(c) Someone dreamed of creating a beach there, but never got around to it.
(d) Some entrepreneur brought sand to the area to create a beach at the lake.
4. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
(a) His sister.
(b) His ten year old son.
(c) His fourteen year old daughter.
(d) His wife.
5. Who does the narrator claim the story from this novel belongs to?
(a) Len Benetto.
(b) Charles 'Chick' Benetto.
(c) Pauline 'Posey' Benetto.
(d) Maria Benetto.
6. Why does Chick tell Roberta the truth about Santa Claus that first Christmas after Len left the family?
(a) He believes that believing in Santa is hurting Roberta.
(b) He misses his dad and does not want his mother to try to take her place.
(c) He thinks believing in Santa is childish.
(d) He thinks Posey is trying to trick them.
7. Who did Chick one day catch using binoculars to stare in his mother's bedroom windows shortly after the divorce?
(a) A friend of his dad's and his son.
(b) A married neighbor and his son.
(c) His dad and one of his workers.
(d) A couple kids Chick went to school with.
8. What does Posey do with this food?
(a) She serves it for dinner.
(b) She throws it out.
(c) She eats it herself.
(d) She gives it to a poor neighbor.
9. What does Chick Benetto receive that informs him of this family event he missed?
(a) A delayed invitation.
(b) A letter.
(c) A newspaper announcement.
(d) Wedding photos.
10. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
(a) In a note scribbled in class.
(b) At their favorite Italian restaurant.
(c) In a letter from Italy.
(d) At the same place where they met.
11. Why did the narrator come to Pepperville Beach?
(a) To bury a relative.
(b) To close on a house that had been in the family for years.
(c) To visit a relative.
(d) To buy a house.
12. During a night of heavy drinking, where does Chick decide to go?
(a) Boston, his wife's hometown.
(b) New York, his daughter's home.
(c) Pepperville Beach, his hometown.
(d) Los Angeles, his sister's home.
13. What one thing did Chick notice his parents did together that seemed to make them both happy?
14. What question does Posey ask Chick that causes him to insist that her being in the kitchen eight years after her death is impossible?
(a) Is Catherine joining them.
(b) Is he ill.
(c) Is he dead.
(d) Can he stay all day.
15. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
(a) A private balcony.
(b) A water tower.
(c) A shopping mall.
(d) A diving board.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chick Benetto once wish his mother would leave him alone?
2. Who does Chick call after sneaking out of work in Section 1?
3. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
4. What did Chick's mother often slip to Chick whenever she dropped him off somewhere?
5. What does Chick feel is unbalanced in the lists he made regarding his and his mother's love for one another?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)