|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What musical object does Chick compare small towns to?
(a) Piano key.
(b) Violin string.
(d) Clarinet reed.
2. Who told Chick Benetto she was sorry he did not get a chance to say good-bye before his mother died?
(a) His wife.
(b) His sister.
(c) His ten year old son.
(d) His fourteen year old daughter.
3. What did the narrator later find that added to the narrator's information used to write this novel?
(a) Personal notes and a journal.
(b) Personal notes and legal papers.
(c) A diary.
(d) Newspaper articles and death certificates.
4. Why did Posey begin working as a hairstylist when Chick was a child?
(a) She preferred hairstyling to nursing.
(b) She wanted more flexible hours.
(c) She was good at it and she needed a job.
(d) She liked to help old ladies look good for their husbands.
5. What did Posey and Len fight about most often when Chick was a child?
(d) Len's drinking.
6. During a night of heavy drinking, where does Chick decide to go?
(a) Pepperville Beach, his hometown.
(b) New York, his daughter's home.
(c) Los Angeles, his sister's home.
(d) Boston, his wife's hometown.
7. How did Len Benetto propose to Posey?
(a) In a note scribbled in class.
(b) In a letter from Italy.
(c) At the same place where they met.
(d) At their favorite Italian restaurant.
8. Who notices the narrator in the Introduction as the narrator watches the action going on?
(a) A kid building a sand castle.
(b) An old man visiting his wife's grave.
(c) An old man mowing the grass.
(d) A kid pitching a ball.
9. What did Posey want Chick to do as an adult?
(a) To be a priest.
(b) To take over his father's liquor stores.
(c) To be well educated.
(d) To be a ball player.
10. Why did Chick and his sister have trouble accepting that their parents were going to get divorced?
(a) They often fought.
(b) They always got back together.
(c) They often spent time apart.
(d) They often spoke of separation.
11. What meal that Posey makes does Len Benetto often complain she cannot make properly?
12. Why did Posey choose a tree to place her prayer in?
(a) Trees are God's favorite vegetation.
(b) Trees spend all day looking up at God.
(c) The tree was just convenient.
(d) Trees have special meaning in her religion.
13. What did the narrator stop to do on the way back to the airport in the Introduction?
(a) Get some coffee.
(b) Have lunch.
(c) Visit the beach.
(d) Buy an ice cream.
14. Why does the narrator claim they chose to write the novel in another person's voice?
(a) To make it more romantic.
(b) To make it more believable.
(c) To make it more suspenseful.
(d) To add to the mystery.
15. Where did Posey met Len Benetto?
(a) At Pepperville Lake.
(b) At Galveston beach.
(c) At school.
(d) At church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Len Benetto often spend long chunks of time away from his family?
2. What does Chick Benetto blame for the destruction of his marriage?
3. How does Chick react to the announcement that he was a blessing his mother had waited a long time to receive?
4. In section 1, from what object does Chick decide to jump?
5. What does Chick think about his visit to his mother two years after her death?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)